Im sick of windows and osx86 isnt %100 yet, what else can i use

NateS

62 posts in this topic

My favs distros are Kubuntu & Suse.

Suse is quite powerful and sometimes slow, but excellent for stable environments and programming. And with Kubuntu you can do everything very easily using Adapt or Apt o Synaptic or whatever. There are tons of icons, themes, "turn to aqua" tutorials, and XGL is simply fantastic, if you have a nice videocard. :thumbsup_anim:

But if you really like MacOSX, you could buy a 945 chipset mobo and build a cheap Mac. :2cents:

PS. I don't like Dreamlinux coz you must always operate it being root, and that's a crime with *nix systems.

• 2 weeks later...

Good post, I myself looking to get into linux world.

And want to make right choice from the beginning.

I most likely will settle for one of Fedora, OpenSuse, or Ubuntu (preferably Kubuntu) because they soon will support CNR instalation.

I tried OpenSuse 10.2 but there is no multimedia support out of the box, and being newbe in linuxing I wasn't able successfully install them.

So most likely it will be Fedora or Ubuntu (preferably Kubuntu don't like gnom GUI)

PS. Didn't like Dreamlinux (tried liveCD) looks like poor (very poor) impersonation of MaxOSX

ok so i caught this thread while reading some of the new posts. I have been a dedicated RH users for some time. Recently started playing with opensuse10.1 / 2 and love it. its easy to use and oh so pretty.

https://mail.davefiore.com/snapshot1.png

https://mail.davefiore.com/snapshot2.png

https://mail.davefiore.com/snapshot3.png

just my .02 cents

PS. Didn't like Dreamlinux (tried liveCD) looks like poor (very poor) impersonation of MaxOSX

heh, its the closest youll get, and its a great distro if you have nvidia and want 3d desktop :thumbsdown_anim:

otherwise, its just another distro

Duderhinos, noone mentioned Mepis Linux: http://www.mepis.org/

Download Live/install-cd(dvd) (make sure u get newest version). It boots up, wlan and all other stuff worked right away.

It has Aptitude as package manager ( very _easy_ and _fast_ to install software straight from internet [tm] ).

Also Glx things works right away (just have to check 3d acceleration drivers from control panel thingy, so getting Beryl and Glx working is easy (and that means very sexy desktop with 3d features and stuff...). Language support is wide, everything works very nice (also games work).

Take day or two tweaking GUI (KDE as default, maybe install Gnome to make it more Os X:ish?) and voilá, u have perfect os :)

remember linux is not for "ready out from the box" people (well u can use it and it works nice out of the box, but if u wanna get it looking like you want, it takes some time and nerves), so be ready for tweaking.

Hope that this helped :)

btw. guy who {censored}ed up his windows install playing with linux and stuff, i think problem is that u resized partition that had windows on it.

NEVER RESIZE NTFS / FAT PARTITIONS if theres stuff on them!

I just use Kubuntu on my Linux box. I am not to big on Graphical stuff like vista and OSX, I just like doing what I need to do and getting it done, if I can save 12mb ram and faster startup by turning flowery stuff off I will. Dreamlinux is nice, I used it for a little while but I like kubuntu better just because I know it better :wacko:

Dice :hysterical:

Hi there.

I have been involved with Linux for about 10 years and with the community for about 7. Here is what I would reccomend and why.

Detail your hardware. There may be a piece of hardware (wifi or sound) that isnt autodetected and may need a manual driver install.

Next, go get Ubuntu. I would reccomend Freespire as well, but the WPA on the wireless side is iffy right now on the Freespire front.

Next, bookmark the ubuntu forums site. Most issues you will run into, someone else has, and its been fixed and detailed there.

Lastly, the Linux kernel is the big thing, and because the way software is made, changing the kernel is not for the new. Avoid kernel updates unless you can get all relavent drivers updated too. If everything is autodetected, and its merely the video, then dont sweat it. Oddball drivers may cause some grief. Assuming that is you are less a nerd, but more a power user.

Why this route:

Well first off, without going into a long diatribe on linux, I will assume that you have heard the rumors of it being more secure, leaner, faster, and soforth. Securer, yes, the others -- thats up to you. Run bloated apps, get a bloated PC. With Ubuntu, you have one of the cleaner installs, arguably the best repositories available (Fedora rocks here too), some of the best forums and documentation (Fedora and Gentoo are great here too), and a real focus from the maintainers (Fedora supposedly is on board here, along with Freespire). Most problems you will run into, others have too. Thats why the forums are an asset and a half. And lastly if you go with Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS, you will have undeniably the easiest time getting your feet wet with linux, and still being able to do stuff.

As for some apps that you would be interested in:

GIMP/GIMPShop are Photoshop like apps that are FLOSS (Free/Libre Open Source Software)

Amarok, Rhythmbox are pretty nice iTunes replacements

GAIM for chat (does IRC, MSN, AIM, ICQ, Y!, Google, Jabber, and whatever else I may have missed)

Internet connections are rather straightforward. NetworkManager handles this quite well. If its DHCP, not much to it. It will ask for WPA/WEP if its a WiFi connection.

Intel chipsets are generally pretty well supported, and FWIW, that card you listed should be fine from what I recall seeing.

nVIDIA is great in the driver dept, with Intel doing a good job, and AMD/ATI lagging way back, but getting better.

And for running windows software, look into the following Apps - Codewaver's Crossover Linux, Wine, and Transgaming's Cedega.

Crossover is Wine + nice gui to hold your hand. Cedega is Wine + DRM patches + Copyprotection patches. Cedega made alot of contracts for getting games' copy protection up and going so cracks arent needed, and most MMO's work rather well (EVE player here).

Hope this helps. If you need a bit more hand holding, PM me, or email me andrew@harmonizedcomputing.com. I can help get you up and going.