Im sick of windows and osx86 isnt %100 yet, what else can i use

NateS

62 posts in this topic

well, i got acronis special free edition where everything is full version :blink:, os selector still dosnt find kubuntu, im going to re-install it and see what happens, but how come grub dosnt find the windows partition? because it automatically installs with kubuntu..

also, where do i Find xgl/compiz/ and the plug-ins? atm thats what im most intrested in, and wondering why kubuntu didnt play half my mp3's

screw acronis!!!!!!! use gparted.... link in my sig, its free... so {censored} the warez.... (god i love warez... :blink:)

and Alessandro17, me too, idk why most people swear by it.... MANDRIVA 07 POWER PACK FTW lol

and Alessandro17, me too, idk why most people swear by it.... MANDRIVA 07 POWER PACK FTW lol

Mandriva? Not bad, but for the life of me I can't create a permanent pppoe connection. I am going to buy a router, though, so I am going to solve that problem.

i did a quick google for that, didnt find too much information, but i suppose ill try everything until i find somthing that works for me, reasons why i liked kubuntu for the short time i used it, is that it found my wireless and LAN cards, which was a problem even for windows...

Im downloading gparted now, so ill see if that helps anything along, hopefully i can boot into kubuntu

reasons why i liked kubuntu for the short time i used it, is that it found my wireless and LAN cards, which was a problem even for windows...

An absolutely great distro in hardware detection/configuration was (is?) Kanotix. Trouble is, it is unmantained at the moment. Many of the Kanotix developers have moved to Sidux, they'll help you to keep your Kanotix up to date.

for the love of me i just cant get a dual boot working..

Create a /boot partition as the first disk in your Linux setup and install grub or lilo to that partition. You should be able to boot it from Darwin :(

I don't know if anyones heard of Parted Magic 1.0, I just found it and it seems pretty good.

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Oper...gic-21659.shtml

Edited by joe75

If you can boot into your linux partition, could you please do the following for me:

Open a terminal as root.

# cfdisk

Or, if you have a sata drive:

# cfdisk /dev/sda ("a" is the first sata drive, the second would be "sdb")

Please publish the outcome.

well its all game over for me... :(

I guess all this screwing around killed my xp partition..

I rebooted, and got a hal.dll error, so i reinstalled the file through dos, same error, tried /fixboot, no fix, created a small partition on the end of the drive, installed xp, booted into xp, and my windows/system32 folder was empty :S, same with documents and settings, so bizzare, but the disc still said the space was used, but the files definetly werent there :(.

So after swearing at yelling, i just formatted the whole thing, re-installed xp, now here i am downloading updates :(, extremely angry, but oh well..

A question, how is g parted, and other partition software ment to help me dual boot?

A question, how is g parted, and other partition software ment to help me dual boot?

It isn't. You need a boot manager, like Acronis OS Selector (included in Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0) or BootIt NG (also very good)

I would suggest to anyone who is new to Linux and wants to see what it's all about, download the Knoppix Live CD. It hasn't been updated since June but it boots up fairly quick-ish, as these things go, from the CD. If you like it, and it's typically easy on the eye Linux/KDE interface, you might want to go ahead and try OpenSUSE. I personally found Ubuntu too sparse and didn't like the colourings out of the box, so to speak. Tweaked and played around with it (you can tune the appearance of Linux so easily, without buying third party applications like Stardock's windowblinds) but... well, OpenSUSE 10.2 came with everything I wanted pre-installed, so to speak, and I love the interface.

The joy of Linux is that most of the distros come with everything you want slipstreamed into the install DVD, so depending on your needs there is either little or no faffing around with either command lines or downloading, though multimedia requires a little tinkering to bring it up to speed. The Microsoft/OS X experience edges it by some margin on that one, out-of-the-box. Still, if you install VLC player, the cross platform media player of choice, which almost uniquely comes with the necessary codecs preloaded, you're home and dry. One advantage both Windows and Linux have over OS X is Picasa2 which, again, is free - iPhoto can't hold a candle to it... yet.

Unless you are confident with partitioning (it is SO easy to hose your boot set up and not be able to boot into anything without a bit of application and patience searching these and other forums) I would go with a Live Linux distro and boot directly off a CD. :blink: Have fun, feel safe and be productive.

That said, OS X is altogether more slick and, yes, sexy. Some people hate that stuff but... it just works. Vista is eye candy gone psycho, XP Teletubbies behind a frosted glass effect shower curtain. But hey, the visuals, by which I mean the colourings if not the actual window frames, are almost as configurable as a Linux disto.... Almost.

I'll end on another that said. That said, I use the asrock 945G-DVI motherboard and getting digital sound out/in working and the network card working under os x86 are beyond me. I need installers all the way and think those that make them are... pretty much the finest people on the planet!

Edited by Detosx

i figured ill just use xp for games, but when im not in it, who can recommend a OS for genral/mutltimedia use?

photoshop like program

iTunes like program

Internet Connection

MSN/AIM

Wireless/LAN Intel PRO 1000/100 wireless card

Graphics support

My pc specs in my sig

Im a kinda noob to linux, but i did get osx86 to install, just no networking is pretty annoying, i guess thats the only reason i dont wanna use it :idea:

thanks

Why not just sell the Toshiba and get a real Mac? It's a painless experience compared to the OSX86 boxes.

Edited by moonislune

Detosx,

Very good post.

I fully second the Knoppix option. In fact there is a brand new Knoppix, CD or DVD:

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=03956#0

(I recommend the DVD)

I also favor OpenSUSE over Ubuntu, by far. With OpenSUSE you only have to install ATI or Nvidia drivers (the latter are very easy to install) and the multimedia codecs (not difficult if you have the latest Smart package manager).

My very favourite is Debian, but for that you need a lot more experience.

Of course I agree that OS X is better than Windows and that Vista is "eye candy gone psycho". Not only that. The main reason for most to boot into XP is because of some applications. Now wait until people find out that many of their XP applications do_not work in Vista, and you have the potential for a total fiasco.

At the end of the day, if you aren't inclined to do a lot of tinkering, both with hardware and software, but you want to run a decent OS, you best bet is to buy a Mac. It will also run XP for your legacy applications.

ok im back, did a clean install of xp, made some partitions, one for osx, one for kubuntu (atm untill i try another distro) installed kubuntu, grub is working, yay!

I didnt some googling around and afew people havnt got some of my gear working yet.. main problem is sound :)

i just cant get compiz to work :thumbsup_anim:

Correct me if I am wrong, but this technology was started by Novell (SUSE)

Thus OpenSUSE is the best distro to try if you want Compiz, Xgl and so on.

BTW: never install GRUB to the MBR, if you want dual/multiple booting. Install it to the root or boot partition instead and use Acronis OS Selector as appropriate. Basically you need Acronis if you install GRUB/LILO to the root (/) partition. If you install it to the boot partition you shouldn't need Acronis-but this is not my favorite method, as I have 5 operating systems in my HDs at the moment.

I use Fedora Core. Its really easy to use from the command line. Basically Red Hat Linux but test versions. Its free, has tons of programs for it. Gimp and such for photoediting. Easy to use because to install stuff you just use yum. yum install whatever. There are sites that are just about setting up Fedora. Also I like Gentoo. Its cool because its easy to upgrade. There are no versions really you can emerge from what you download and update to the latest. I hate BSD. I have to sometimes work on webservers that use it and the commands are not equal to linux, but I would guess its more like unix, but ports system is old. If you know OSX good you could run Darwin itself.

I use Fedora Core. Its really easy to use from the command line. Basically Red Hat Linux but test versions. Its free, has tons of programs for it. Gimp and such for photoediting. Easy to use because to install stuff you just use yum. yum install whatever. There are sites that are just about setting up Fedora. Also I like Gentoo. Its cool because its easy to upgrade. There are no versions really you can emerge from what you download and update to the latest. I hate BSD. I have to sometimes work on webservers that use it and the commands are not equal to linux, but I would guess its more like unix, but ports system is old. If you know OSX good you could run Darwin itself.

I do not recommend Gentoo or Fedora to new linux users: especially Gentoo, but Fedora also requires a lot of work if compared to:

1) Freespire/Linspire, the easiest

2)Mandriva Powerpack, second easiest

3)OpenSUSE (it requires manual install of Nvidia or ATI graphics drivers and mulitimedia codecs. Fine otherwise)

I do not recommend Gentoo or Fedora to new linux users: especially Gentoo, but Fedora also requires a lot of work if compared to:

1) Freespire/Linspire, the easiest

2)Mandriva Powerpack, second easiest

3)OpenSUSE (it requires manual install of Nvidia or ATI graphics drivers and mulitimedia codecs. Fine otherwise)

Windows users are so multimediacentric by default that if they use Linux out of the box and find they can't play their favourite multimedia clips and movies, they aren't going to want to phaff around with anything more complicated than an exe installer. If I am reading the part in brackets correctly, you are saying Linspire and Madriva Powerpack play DVD movies and/or multimedia out of the box? That being the case I would tell people to go for Mandriva and select KDE during install. The sheer speed of most Linux distros as compared to Microsoft Windows XP/Vista is breathtaking. I want so much to like Vista but it didn't recognize my winmodem or the installer for my motherboard's bios updater. The GUI yelled in my face, blinded my eyes and had me fumbling for the Asprin. If my friend brings out a flyakite gui kit for it to make Vista look like Leopard, I might buy Vista uprade, but he is too busy with his excellent website and wants to wait for Leopard to go release candidate before bringing out a new flyakite GUI kit. I use Windowblinds with XP to make it look like Tiger, plus flyakite. Amazing what a couple of mouse clicks will do.

I think we agree - go for a Mac; it's uses the most complete and non time wasting operating system out there. It is a user friendly joy. Use the time saved to take a long vacation, that way you won't have to reboot your relationship with your loved ones. In other words, don't build a Hackinosh. It's fun and I did it because I was mad at the wonderful folks at Apple for not making the iMacs more upgradeable. No, buy yourself a Mac Mini, it's fine for basic multimedia, if not games. It is robust, beautiful and cheap enough to give you entry in a more productive world.

Edited by Detosx

If I am reading the part in brackets correctly, you are saying Linspire and Madriva Powerpack play DVD movies and/or multimedia out of the box? That being the case I would tell people to go for Mandriva and select KDE during install.

Linspire does, Mandriva needs only some minor tweaking.