Is there somebody who install Nvidia 4xxx with QE or/and CE ?

Debian

63 posts in this topic

I also have a Nvidia 4200 ti and would be interested to see how you got it working with QE as I am hoping to use it when I get 10.4.8 with new kernel installed.

About Core Image not being supported, how badly does that affect performance? Can you still play video files and what not, or are they out the window?

Guys, I just saw pat (I think it's pat) left some comments on the OSX Compatibility Wiki:

He reports his 'Geforce Ti 4200' card working. He tells what he did:

Semthex kernel, Natit kext and edited NVDAResman.kext, NVDANV40.kext and GeForce.kext with device/vendor id
Appereantly he edited NVDANV40Hal.kext and it worked. Can someone try this? I hosed my OSX partition yesterday.

The other comments he made are:

GeForce Ti 4200 - AGP - Leadtek Motherboard - Works using Natit. All resolutions. Still recognised as PCI card however. - QE works - All resolutions
Edited by MacRetail

I tried it.When I put the dev id to NVDAResman.kext, NVDANV40.kext and GeForce.kext the NVDANV20.kext

and NVDANV40.kext load but it blokked when I have the message Starting ....

Maybe I forget something? Pat if you read me ....

Thanks in advance

I cannot try as I am waiting for Jas 10.4.8 SSE2 :D

Maybe you could try removing NVDANV20? If Pat got it working with NVDANV40, maybe both kexts loading is causing a problem.... Just an idea, I have absolutely no clue really :D

Edited by GavinD

I've tryied this method and I get a kernel panic. I've try with all NVDANVx0HAL.kext, each one alone with GeForce.kext and NVResman.kext with the DEV ID. I think that all of you haves 0x0253 like I. For the moment I have no solution. I'm waiting for read your experiencies. Greetings.

Hi all

Here's how I got it working:

I'll assume you all have the sse2 exp6 8.8.1 kernel, if not, I followed this guide (roughly).

The version of natit I used was the Natit_Uni_1.0 installer package, I did not need to add my deviceID to the kext as it was already there.

After installing Natit and rebooting I got a black screen instead of my desktop although it sounded as if things were still starting up normally even though I couldn't see it. (If this happens to you, just move NVDAResman.kext out of the extensions folder in singleuser mode).

So I decided to add my device ID to a few NVidia kexts and see if that helped.

NVDAResman.kext and GeForce.kext were the important ones. I also added it to NVDANV40Hal.kext but have since found that that kext is for newer cards and my computer was loading both the NVDAN40 and NVDAN20 kexts, I removed the NVDAN40 one.

Since I didn't really expect it to work, I was really surprised when my computer started up and instead of a black screen I got a blue screen with a cursor (with a dropshadow - QE :P). I was even more surprised when it didn't crash but started up normally.

The System Profiler reports QE as being supported (and everything runs much smoother). CI is not supported but I'm fairly sure CI requires pixelshaders2 (FX cards and newer only). It also still reports my card as being PCI instead of AGP, but I havn't had any luck with AGPGart yet.

Hope this info helps.

Also, if anyone is wondering my card is a Leadtek GeForce 4 TI 4200 128MB with AGP8X (Dev/vendorID 028110de) so if you have that card you should be successful.

Note: although I don't actually know if it's necessary, I ran the commands in fixup.sh (attached) before each reboot (clears kextcache and repairs permissions).

edit: to see which kexts are loading (and the versions) type kextstat into terminal

post-2794-1167526363_thumb.png

fixup.sh.zip

kextstat.txt

Edited by pat

Thanks, pat!

I think this is very interesting, because np_ and others said NVDANV20Hal.kext was nothing but an empty stub, without any real functionality. This proves they made a mistake.

btw: I haven't got my card working using your instructions, but i have no Ti 4200 anyway.

Edited by MacRetail

It almost worked!

I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 with an nVidia GeForce4 4200 Go w/ 64mb (Device ID: 0286). It is basically the same card as Pat's, but with less memory and a different device id.

I tried the same method as Pat, but it just makes my laptop do the dreaded "fade to white". However, if I login via VNC or Apple Remote Desktop, I can see that everything is working just as it should!

Quartz Extreme is "Supported" and even the resolution of 1680 x 1050 is correct! It just doesn't display correctly on the screen :)

I also tried np_'s LaptopDisplay.kext with and without Natit, but it did not seem to help me... yet.

When I tried to hook up my external flat panel (Samsung SyncMaster 191T), I was able to get a picture when I used the boot option "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32"; but it was not the complete picture and I had no mouse. Using VNC I could see that it also had an odd list of resolutions to choose from... like 624x832, 768x1280, and 870x1152. It would seem that it thought my screen was rotated.

post-8695-1167952446_thumb.png

Edited by Koen2X

It almost worked!

I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 with an nVidia GeForce4 4200 Go w/ 64mb (Device ID: 0286). It is basically the same card as Pat's, but with less memory and a different device id.

I have an idea why it only almost worked.

Did you add your device ID to natit.kext?

I just checked the info.plist file and while my id 0281 was already listed, I searched for 0286 and it was not there.

I don't know if it makes any difference but if you haven't already, you could try adding it.

I have an idea why it only almost worked.

Did you add your device ID to natit.kext?

I just checked the info.plist file and while my id 0281 was already listed, I searched for 0286 and it was not there.

I don't know if it makes any difference but if you haven't already, you could try adding it.

Thanks! I actually did try that though.

The device ID in Natit is a mask that should match with anything nVidia (0x000010de&0x0000ffff). I think the list of device IDs you are referring to is actually just to supply the name of the card. Although since our cards are named the same, I actually did happen to change 0x0281 to 0x0286... Otherwise it says "Unknown nVidia Card" or something like that.

I am hoping that np_'s solution he is working on here will help. I'm keeping my fingers crossed... :P

Edited by Koen2X

I think this is very interesting, because np_ and others said NVDANV20Hal.kext was nothing but an empty stub, without any real functionality. This proves they made a mistake.

i did not mistake NVDANV20HAL and 10HAL do have all "dacXXXX" function as empty stubs for x86 part :thumbsup_anim:

I couldn't get Siluro GF4 Ti4200 working :(

I tried several methods, played with the NVDANV20Hal.kext but without any success. The system was hanged up after a few seconds if the NVDAResman.kext was loaded. Even if I was in single mode without a GUI the system crashed all times after the kextload.

The deviceID is 0x025310de for this card.

Finally I solved the issue with an other card got today (ASUS 6200TD 128M AGP8X) and without touching anything the system had QE/CI with the new JAS 10.4.8 + Natit :)

If you have the same Ti4200 card and can get it work somehow please let me know as I am still wondering if it's possible or not.

So happy with the fully working osx anyway :) \o/

Didnt work for me. Thanks for the trouble though :(

Could someone perhaps post their kexts ? Think im dooing something wrong in editing them...

Have a GF4 ti4200, and running latest jas sse2 10.48 release.

I have the same Leadtek Geforce 4 ti4200, and it worked with Pats method. Nice...I can see Flurry in its full glory.

Sadly my 6600 gives full QE/CI but has a weird issue, which I have no idea on how to fix. I made a thread about it, in the Post-Install Section

It almost worked!

I tried the same method as Pat, but it just makes my laptop do the dreaded "fade to white". However, if I login via VNC or Apple Remote Desktop, I can see that everything is working just as it should!

Quartz Extreme is "Supported" and even the resolution of 1680 x 1050 is correct! It just doesn't display correctly on the screen ;)

I also tried np_'s LaptopDisplay.kext with and without Natit, but it did not seem to help me... yet.

When I tried to hook up my external flat panel (Samsung SyncMaster 191T), I was able to get a picture when I used the boot option "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32"; but it was not the complete picture and I had no mouse. Using VNC I could see that it also had an odd list of resolutions to choose from... like 624x832, 768x1280, and 870x1152. It would seem that it thought my screen was rotated.

Hello i have the exact same laptop and card geforce go 4200 w/64mb and the 1680x1050 screen. I am running 10.4.8 with the semthex beta9 8.8.1 kernel.

I have tried natit and titan but the card is recognized as "Unknown nvidia" with no QE. (CI is unsupported on this card).

Could you tell me what you did to get to the white screen because i cant get anywhere with it. thanks.