How to get 8.8.1/10.4.8 SSE2 for Intel/AMD

nylock10

76 posts in this topic

can anyone tell me how to install semthex kernel a proper procedure to change old kernel to new one plz , all i see is replace kernel with semthex kernel i dont think it will be easy for end users like myself it is doom ... plz tell me how to replace the kernel do we have to use terminal commands or on the startup or during the install , ireally dont have any idea plz post a detailed guide to intall semthex kernel for sse2 AMD processors...

Put the new kernel by itself on the Desktop outside of any folders or anything. I believe the kernel will be called "s5", but change the following commands if your kernel has a different name. First we will back up your existing kernel. Then copy in the new kernel. Then repair permissions.

Go to Terminal and type:

sudo cp -f /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.old
sudo cp -f ~/Desktop/s5 /mach_kernel
sudo chown root:wheel /mach_kern*
sudo chmod 644 /mach_kern*

Then reboot.

If you have a problem booting, press F8 at boot and enter the following boot options: -v -f

If you still have problems booting, boot with the old kernel by pressing F8 and entering: mach_kernel.old

To restore the old kernel to be the main kernel, do the following. First we will back up the new kernel. Then restore the old kernel. Then fix permissions.

Go to Terminal and type:

sudo cp -f /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.s5
sudo cp -f /mach_kernel.old /mach_kernel
sudo chown root:wheel /mach_kern*
sudo chmod 644 /mach_kern*

Then reboot.

i downloaded xnu-1048-semthex_2_ this folder contain files like apple licence, kgmacros, makefile, readme, semthex read me and some folders like iokit, osfmk, externel headers, make defs, config, libsa, setup, bsd, libkern, pexpert so i really dont know where is s5 which kernel is that where to get that please ... and mach_kernel i cannot find this file with spotlight also does it exist with some different name if not where it can be... for once give me a link to proper kernel for AMD sse2 and proper guide it install in 10.4.8 sse3 AMD with this kernel thank you

So why did we put a copy of our original loginwindow.app to the desktop? What are we supposed to do with that copy?

Sorry! I didn't type that in correctly. You need to backup your old loginwindow.app just in case there is a problem.

And where did you get YOUR copy from? :rolleyes:

Where most other people get their copies :)

@wasim: You need to go into the Insalely Mac IRC chat room (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?autocom=pages&do=show&id=3), and go into the room #kernel.

From there you will get instructions on how to get the kernel.

@radan: I just updated the tutorial and it now says which update to get. Although it doesn't really matter which one you get (just one with a working loginwindow.app), I just perfer JaS patched updates/releases.

Edited by nylock10

Is there anyway to get the OpenGL.framework thats needed from the update without downloading the whole update? I have a really bad connection and that file is 280+ ... any help or suggestions is greatful. thanks guys and merry christmas!

I'm not really sure about that one, would you be able to go to a friend's house and get it?

DownloadAccelleratorPlus would help ;)

Edited by nylock10

Jas AMD 10.4.8 sse3 dvd shows read only error while booting into darwin wat is that DVD about when i browse DVD there is no installer like in 10.4.6 i was wondering why size is only 2.3 gb it is fake no valid installer inside...

Hello everybody!!!

Since last time I ve posted, I ve tested this method described here in a AMD Machine (Acer Aspire 1520, an AMD 64 bits, with the NVidia FX Go 5700).

I ve used JAS 10.4.6 (I tried JAS 10.4.7 but it didnt work) then backuped the loginwindow.app into desktop, after that I upgraded to 10.4.8 with Semthex AMD SSE2 beta9. I didnt boot, then I ve copied the Frameworks (OpenGL) from Official 10.4.8 Apple Combo Update, restarted. Voila!!! the new kernel was there. Then I ve did the titan thing: copied the titan.kext to Extensions, and the NVidia and GeForce Extensions from Official 10.4.8 Apple Combo Update, then repaired permissions.

Restarted again and WOW!!!! QE, CI, OpenGL, everything is there! All resolutions!!

Well, but there some issues:

- I cant use the laptop LCD, the systems just recognize external VGA or external SVideo port. Anybody know how to fix it??? And the dual screen doesnt work at all... could somebody tell if it happens because I need to modify the kexts to the 5700 dev id (0347)??

- diskarb error and the DVD sometimes doesnt work

- an ApplePS2Controller and Mouse error (a message displays that the extension could not be used - I think that maybe I could get it from another osx older version, who knows...)

- an AppleAC97Audio and AudioVIA error (another message display the same kind of thing)

- and now sometimes a black square comes around the selected things onto the screen

- i know i know: intel wifi doesnt work at all...

BUT THE VERY VERY GOOD THING

- i ve tested motion 2 and modul8 2.5 demo (the best vj software i ever seen) and they worked very very very very well, fast enough to compare with my girlfriend powerbook... and hahahaha!! it was faster than the real mac... :-DDD i m feeling like a child that earned your xmas gift, santa claus exists and he came with a osx86 into your pocket!!!

- lan workin, bluetooth workin, usb, everything...

£?

post-51596-1167108494_thumb.png

post-51596-1167108891_thumb.png

post-51596-1167109110_thumb.png

Hi

I test this procedure on 2 computers, and no work for my. A computer is a portable toshiba and the other one a PC. Booth computers hang in OS startup. No command line, also starting with -x or -v or -v -f.

Both computer¡'s stop at this line using 2621 buffer headers and 2621 cluster IO buffer headers

Any idea to get 10.4.8 and 8.8.1¿?

TIA

Dave

Edited by Macoso

Just a quick question. Could i use the loginwindow.app from jas. 10.4.6 maybe? It is just such a big file "OSX Jas 10.4.7 update" to download. (about 2,9 gig)

Anyway, if somebody are willing, i would be more than happy if they could send a copy of their working loginwindow.app.

Have a great day everyone, and thank you for this guide :(

Edited by radan

radan

i ve just used the 10.4.6 loginwindow.app (/System/Library/CoreServices/) and backup it to my desktop.

to copy back again to the right folder i ve did that:

1) open terminal

2) sudo -s (type your password)

3) rm -rf /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app

4) dont close terminal, drag n drop loginwindow.app from your desktop to /System/Library/CoreServices/

5) authorize it

6) back to terminal

7) diskutil repairpermissions /

8) close terminal and reboot

send a pm to me if you want some help with the files

vjspetto

TubGirl released a "final" 10.4.8 DVD for SSE2/SSE3 AMD. Member wmarsh has used the previous beta TubGirl DVD to install to an Intel computer using the AMD DVD. He used VMWare.

Follow the 10.4.8 link in my signature. Find the name of the TubGirl DVD and below that the link to the method wmarsh used for installation.

Hi people,

I ve wrote a tutorial in Portuguese to the brazilian guys, explaining how to install OSx86 10.4.8 SSE2 for Intel and AMD.

You could visit here http://blog.visualradio.com.br/2006/12/30/...-em-um-macbook/

Thanx to nylock10, JaS, Rammjet, de_webd, and everybody that support this forum!!

Happy New Eve for everybody.

vjspetto