How to get 8.8.1/10.4.8 SSE2 for Intel/AMD

nylock10

76 posts in this topic

I finally figured out how to get nVidia GeForce cards working with Quartz Extreme, OpenGL, and Core Image working along with Mac OS X 10.4.8 with Semthex's 8.8.1 kernel.

This may not work on your box, but it worked on my box. It doesn't mean yours! I intended this to be for developmental and educational purposes only.

Also, it isn't my fault if anything goes wrong! You better make sure you really want to do this. I've failed a few times.

So far, only the GeForce FX5200 and the 6200 have been confirmed that they work with this tutorial, so be careful if you have another card... But you might as well try it! Hell, just give it a shot :D

One more thing: VJ Spetto posted an alternative to this tutorial in Portuguese, check it out here: http://blog.visualradio.com.br/2006/12/30/...-em-um-macbook/

Unkown if it works with AMD, please give it a try though

So first off, you'll need the following:

1: A copy of Mac OS X 10.4.6 JaS

2: This Mac OS X update: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/mac...pdateintel.html

3: Pacifist (Mac Update, Google search)

4: JaS.10.4.8.Intel.SSE2.SemtheX.Beta9.dmg or JaS.10.4.8.AMD.SSE2.SemtheX.Beta9.pkg.zip - make sure you get the right version for your processor (AMD or Intel) (#JaS.dvd IRC room)

5: Semthex's latest kernel (Go into the #kernel room at Insanely Mac's IRC )

6: Titan.kext (Google search, unsure if I can give a direct link)

7: A nVidia GeForce card, I'm unsure if cards other than the GeForce FX5200 and the 6200 work. So be careful!

8: !Important! Backup your loginwindow.app, located in System/Library/Coreservices - Make sure to do that right after the 10.4.6 installation! Don't forget to do this. It is okay if you don't, there are other ways around it.

9: You might need Apple OSX JaS 10.4.7 Update update package just to be safe (if you forget step 8 :))

Install OSx86.

[/b]

So first off, what we're going to need is a fresh installation of Mac OS X.

So get your 10.4.6 JaS DVD and install with the proper patches (click "Customize" before starting the installation. Remember to use the 10.4.6 Combo update, and the SSE2 patches).

Make sure when you are registering your computer, you are not connected to the internet (unplug your internet cables), so you avoid registering with Apple.

Update 10.4.6 to 10.4.8.

After you've installed 10.4.6 JaS, you'll need to get all the files (listed above) on your OSx86 desktop.

After you've downloaded those files, open up JaS.10.4.8.Intel.SSE2.SemtheX.Beta9.pkg.zip/JaS.10.4.8.AMD.SSE2.SemtheX.Beta9.pkg.zip depending on your processor (AMD/Intel) and install. But wait! Don't reboot your computer after installing, just click the yellow button and minimize.

Start up Pacifist, mount your 10.4.8 Combo Update (the one you got from Apple's website), and go to "Open Package...", and mount "MacOSXUpd10.4.8Intel.pkg" via Pacifist.

In Pacifist, click these folders in this order: System > Library > Frameworks

Scroll down until you see "OpenGL.framework". Right-click "OpenGL.framework" (making sure it is the only thing highlighted), and press "Install to default location". Make sure you use administrator privileges! Overwrite the files it asks you to.

A post by vjspetto pointed out that you can just use a backed up loginwindow.app to restore About this Mac, because if you use the loginwindow.app with the 10.4.8 update, About this Mac will crash.

If you have forgotten to back it up, that's okay. Just skip this part and move on to "Install the 8.8.1 kernel". After your finished with the rest of the guide, scroll down to the bottom and read "About this Mac - manual loginwindow.app alternative".

i ve just used the 10.4.6 loginwindow.app (/System/Library/CoreServices/) and backup it to my desktop [use the loginwindow.app you backed up from your 10.4.6 installation].

to copy back again to the right folder i ve did that:

1) open terminal

2) sudo -s (type your password)

3) rm -rf /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app

4) dont close terminal, drag n drop loginwindow.app from your desktop to /System/Library/CoreServices/

5) authorize it

6) back to terminal

7) diskutil repairpermissions /

8) close terminal and reboot

send a pm to me if you want some help with the files

vjspetto

Close out of Pacifist, you are done with it (unless you need to get your nVidia GeForce card to work, then you'll need to use Pacifist later).

Install the 8.8.1 kernel.

Your going to need Semthex's latest kernel. Assuming you have it, the file is named s5. Rename it to mach_kernel and place it on the root of your hard drive and replace the current mach_kernel (or move it some place else to be safe).

Reboot your computer and make sure you put the -v flag at the Darwin command prompt just to make sure everything is nice and smooth.

Once it boots to the desktop, go open Terminal and type in "uname -a" (without quotes), make sure it shows Semthex's 8.8.1 kernel.

Then, to test if About this Mac is working, click the Apple button at the top left and click "About this Mac". It will now say Mac OS X 10.4.8.

If you want to get your nVidia GeForce card working, follow the rest of this tutorial. If not, then pat yourself on the back. You are now done.

nVidia GeForce install method.

*Update*: More users have been reporting that their nVidia GeForce cards ARE working :) Also, a user pointed out that he got his XFX NVIDIA GT6600 128 MB (Dual DVI) working with dual screens. Glad to know that XFX cards are working, too.

So you could give it a shot, but I am NOT responseble for ANY damage done to any of your belongings, or any belongings of others.

In Pacifist, open up the Combo Update (like you did while installing the OpenGL.framework) and go to System > Library > Extensions.

Find all the kexts that start with GeForce and NVDA, and individually installed each one (Right-click them > Install to default location. Make sure to use administrator privileges!).

(I found out that using Pacifist to extract those kexts from the combo update allows QE/CI from a user named Jeez[for got last name, just PM me you know who you are haha])

After your done with that, quit Pacifist (but don't restart your computer yet).

Browse (in Finder), to System > Library > Extensions. Drag and drop Titan.kext (it may ask you for your password), and then follow these instructions carefully:

(The following code taken from Rammjet's "Getting Nvidia GeForce Working with Titan/Natit" thread - modified a bit):

Open Terminal and type this (in order) - Also I suggest you copy and paste number 4 and 5 :

1:

cd /System/Library

2:

sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache

(-- give password)

3:

cd Extensions

4:

sudo chown -Rf root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce2MXGLDriver.bundle/ /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceFXGLDriver.bundle/ /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGA.plugin/ /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceVADriver.bundle/ /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce3GLDriver.bundle/ /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAResman.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV40Hal.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV30Hal.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV20Hal.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV10Hal.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/Titan.kext/ 

5:

sudo chmod -Rf 755 /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce2MXGLDriver.bundle/ /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceFXGLDriver.bundle/ /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGA.plugin/ /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceVADriver.bundle/ /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce3GLDriver.bundle/ /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAResman.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV40Hal.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV30Hal.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV20Hal.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV10Hal.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/Titan.kext/ 

6:

diskutil repairPermissions /

Reboot your computer with the -v flag. Also, make sure you see Titan say something like "cross ya fingers!". Then you'll know your Titan happy.

You might want to open up Terminal and type in kextstat to make sure all the kexts loaded properly.

Have fun with your new Hackintosh box.

Like this tutorial? Check out SaberSHO's guide, thats the one that got me started.

SaberSHO's 10.4.8 (99.5% pure) for SSE2 Install Guide - Highly recommended

About this Mac - manual loginwindow.app alternative

*In case you forgot to backup your loginwindow.app, here is a quick tutorial on how to get About this Mac functioning correctly*

Via Pacifist, open up your Apple OSX JaS 10.4.7 Update (Intel Only) update package (get it if you don't have it), and go to System > Library > Coreservices (in Pacifist). Right-click on "loginwindow.app" and click "Install to default location". Use administrator privileges and overwrite the files it asks you to.

My system:

Fully working Dell Dimension 2400

Wireless works, sound input and output, GeForce FX5200 full video support, resolution switching etc.

Intel i845G Chipset

74GB 7200RPM HD

1GB PC2700 RAM (2 x 512MB)

post-16882-1166728154_thumb.png

Edited by nylock10

good stuff man, any idea if it would still work with the 10.4.6 myzar dvd? Thats the only one I have and I have a {censored} connection.

yep this thing works with myzar dvd. you just gotta follow it strictly. oh and don't worry about not rebooting after installing semthex9 update. i keep having problem of the system locking up while working and following the rest of the instructions after semthex installation. so i just restarted my system right after and it booted fine. i just continued from there. also if you're doing command line stuff, try to do it in sudo -s mode. i dunno if it helps but that's what i did. if you have a nvida card too, follow the directions above. mine have full qe/ci and res change.

nylock10:

i appreciate ur tutorial. after 40+ or more reinstall and reformat i finally got this system working on 10.4.8. and it works great! no tearing on the mouse or anything. screensaver works great too. now just gotta try out the new CS3 beta and maybe a few games. gotta try to find that xbench too. thanks again!

hello i have followed your guide but forgot to replace the loginwindow before restartting.i tried that after restarting but it wont work. could somebody give a more specific tut?

I just ask this: If things goes wrong, what should i do next, and btw why do i have to copy loginwindow, and then add it again.

And finnally. Is the opengl framework correct to add OR just for nvidia cards?

Iam not good in english but i ask anyway:

"Reboot your computer, and then open up Pacifist again and continue from where you last were:"

Why do i have to open pacifist again? Is this just relevant for people having your GPU?

And i suppose your "stop" is placed to late... :unsure:

Keep up the good work anyway :)

Applied this method except I wasn't able to copy the loginwindow.app .

And it worked great... My GeForce 6200 is now working fine, and at last, I can use VLC or DVDs.

I started from a 10.4.7 JaS DVD and used the latest beta 9 available.

ITunes is OK, VLC is OK, iLife is OK (did not play with iMovie yet)...

Thanks to all of you for letting me use this old PC I was given along with my powerbook ;-)

I installed a fresh install from Jas 10,4,7 DVD, then followed your guide step by step, except I cannot copy the loginwin to the System/Library/Coreservices. After successed on 8.8.1 kernal, I followed your guide to make my fx 5200go with 64MB QE/CI working. I reboot with -v flag, after a while I can see Titan "cross ya fingers!". then it turn out to be black screen. It's really drive me mad for I have try these similar ways over four days, countless restall. Any good advice!

Suiwu

Toshiba Satllite P25

Pentium 4 2.8gHZ HT

2 GB DDR 400 ram

60G 7200rpm HD

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200go with 64MB

I installed a fresh install from Jas 10,4,7 DVD, then followed your guide step by step, except I cannot copy the loginwin to the System/Library/Coreservices. After successed on 8.8.1 kernal, I followed your guide to make my fx 5200go with 64MB QE/CI working. I reboot with -v flag, after a while I can see Titan "cross ya fingers!". then it turn out to be black screen.

Try booting with this:

"Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32@60"

You monitor might not support whatever refresh rate/resolution Titan made it set to.

If that doesn't work, try booting with that same command and the safe boot flag (forgot what it is).

Hi, everyone. Noob trying to get started with Hackintosh on one of my x86 hardware. I found where I can download the torrent file for Mac OS X 10.4.7 AMD/Intel (JaS) ISO but they are not accepting Registrations without a invitation code. Help! I have tried the IRC way as well - but they point to Demonic.com as well.

Many thanx

................................................................................

Hardware:

ASUS A8V-Dlx/AMD3700+SanDiegoADA3700KA5CF(e6 stepping)SSE3/1GBBALLISTIX

AGP8x6800GT256MB/Zalman9500Cu/NEC3540A-DVD+RL/PATA/SATA drives

ASUS P4P800SE/Prescott3.0@3.6-StockAir-(E stepping)/1GBMuskin2T/SSE3

AGP8xATI9600-patched to -XT256MB/NEC3520A-DVD+RL/PATA/SATA drives

Try booting with this:

CODE

You monitor might not support whatever refresh rate/resolution Titan made it set to.

If that doesn't work, try booting with that same command and the safe boot flag (forgot what it is)

How can I boot with "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32@60"? And how to do follow the boot with saft boot flag (-x) command?

Right before you see the Mac OS X boot logo, hold down or tap F8 then enter the code. Make sure to include those quotes in the code, too. 

followed your advice, boot with

-x "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32@60"

"Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32@60" -x

-s "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32@60"

all failed!

Rammjet;

this time I add device ID to Geforce.Kext, NV30HAL.kext, NVDAResman.kext, result is just the same --- black screen!

Hi Everyone

Thanks to all the tutorials and help from the forum. I finally got my IBM thinkpad T30 working with MAC OSX86 10.4.8 semthex exp6 kernel.

Have a merry xmas to everyone

I took quite a few installs and research to get my install working but persistance paid off.

Thanks

QE can be enabled on Radeon Mobility 7500. Please refer to below thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...574&hl=7500

Bruce

I have a hopefully quick question about loginwindow.app. The instructions say:

Make sure you go to System/Library/Coreservices, and backup loginwindow.app to your desktop.

and then a few lines below that they say:

Via Pacifist, open up your Mac OS X 10.4.7 JaS SSE2 update, and go to System > Library > Coreservices (in Pacifist). Right-click on "loginwindow.app" and click "Install to default location". Use administrator privileges and overwrite the files it asks you to.

So why did we put a copy of our original loginwindow.app to the desktop? What are we supposed to do with that copy?

Edited by jrrjrr

WOW! Thats all I can say!!!

The best Xmas gift!

It really works into a p4p800mv, now my hackintosh is 10.4.8 with the 8.8.1 kernel.

It works fine, very fast - but sound card fails (ac97 - maybe some fix and it will work too), quicktime its ok, itunes, ... but I cant have QE and CI (of course, I m using a Intel Extreme 2 onboard).

Tomorrow I will try again, just adding a old GeForce ...

Now I m trying the same method on my Aspire 1520 (an AMD 64bits) with GeForce FX Go 5700... crossing fingers... in one hour I m coming back to say whats happenin

Spetto