ASUS A8JS

152 posts in this topic

to hodgestructure: Ty for 7700 go drivers link:)Its working for me on 10.5.5 and then upgraded to 10.5.7

But... Loading time after thats is too long. After apple loading screen i have a pause around 2-3 min before showing desktop. Is that issue can be solved?

• 5 years later...

HI all! (and holy thread resurrection!)...

I have an A8JS (well, I had an A8JS, now I have an A8JR, which came with the Core 2 that didn't have full virtualisation, and it had a 128MB ATI graphics card (very slow).

I've upgraded it to a GeForce 9650M GTS (1GB VRAM), the Core 2 2.0GHz out of my A8JS, and I can also say that while the internal WiFi card has the drivers built into the BIOS as an 'Option ROM', those too can be changed (I have a modded 9650M vBIOS as part of my BIOS, and added the Core 2 (2.0GHz) CPU update code to the BIOS too.

I never did manage to get my A8J* laptops even booting the first stages of Mac OS X.

I'm going to try now (with Mavericks!) from my new MacBook pro that I barely ever use; this laptop is now 8 years old and yet runs better than most people's new laptops.

I will post progress, but if anyone wants to know how to upgrade the video card in this laptop (it is easy, but you need to get a certain ASUS-only reverse MXM form factor, and you need to get a video BIOS that is compatiable, then you need to modify that vBIOS before inserting into the BIOS and re-flashing your laptop with the new complete BIOS). It seems scary, but ASUS tend to put two vBIOS in their BIOS - the A8JS for example comes with the vBIOS for the 7700 and the 7600 cards as standard; my A8JR now has the vBIOS for the Radeon X2300 (128MB, super slow card) and the 9650M; this means if you mess up the modified vBIOS for the new card, you can always put the old video card back in and the backup vBIOS is waiting still.