Atheros AR5005(G)

motroxx

347 posts in this topic

Pure genius!!!

My Toshiba Hackintosh is 97% combat effective!!

Thanks again!

Ok, got atheros 5005 MiniPCI working, also using 10.4.7 JaS.

edit: please note you have to have your wireless/airport device as en1, in my case my built in ethernet takes en0 so it works out fine. (make change in /library/systemconfiguration/networkinterfaces.plist)

1. Download the official Intel 10.4.5 update from Apple (98MB) (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/mac...45forintel.html)
  2. Backup your /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext
  3. Extract the IO80211Family.kext from the 10.4.5 update (using pacifist?)
  4. open finder to /System/Library/Extensions
  5. drag the kext from 10.4.5 update into the /System/Library/Extensions folder
  6. enter passsword when prompted
  7. open the disk utility (/Application/Utilities/Disk Utility), then repair permissions on your Startup volume (may take a little while)
  8. open up terminal, and switch to root (enter sudo -s, enter your user password)

cd /System/Library/Extensions
chmod -R 755 IO80211family.kext
chown -R root:wheel IO80211family.kext

then list the contents

ls -l

make sure the IO80211Family line looks like this:

drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102 Feb  2  2006 IO80211Family.kext

check that the permissions propagated to subdirectories:

cd IO80211Family.kext/contents/plugins
ls -l

should look like this:

total 0
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102 Feb  2  2006 AirPortAtheros5424.kext
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102 Feb  2  2006 AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext

then test that the extensions works:

kextload AirPortAtheros5424.kext

should give a extension loaded successfully message

then you have to go to System Preferences>Network

a message should pop up telling you you have a new AirPort. from the Show: box, pick AirPort. you can set the options here, i suggest you check the Show airport status in menu bar, make sure you click apply now.

There you have it, fully working native Atheros card! :D

I dont understand why this is happening I tried everything in here and I even tried looking to see if everyone else was having the same problem. I get a new port detected but its showing up as a Fire wire port. I have 2 fire wire ports I am not sure how or why this is happening .I have the same files I also edit the Netowork interfaces and En0 or en1 isn't even listed. There is just one entry and its for Fw0 (fire wire 0) I am not sure why this hard ware is being identified incorrectly.

Also, The kext says load succesfully when I do a kext load but at started up it says that it was not loaded successuly.

I am really confused, and not sure what I should try next. I took this card out of the Apple, Intel mac mini that I have.

My wireless card is AR5005G. As instruction at page 1, use IO80211Family kext 10.4.5 . It's OK. But when you upgrade IO80211Family kext to the latest from Apple, system can find your wireless card.

How to use the latest update without problem with AR5005G card ???

Download the latest IO80211Family kext from Apple and install it. Then restart and I found that system can find your wireless card.

Go to : /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext/Contents/

and edit Info.plist file

Find

<key>IONameMatch</key>

and change it to : (delete the old value)

<array>

<string>pci106b,0086</string>

<string>pci106b,1c</string>

<string>pci168c,1c</string>

<string>pci168c,1014</string>

<string>pci168c,13</string>

<string>pci168c,14</string>

<string>pci168c,15</string>

<string>pci168c,16</string>

<string>pci168c,17</string>

<string>pci168c,18</string>

<string>pci168c,19</string>

<string>pci168c,1a</string>

<string>pci168c,1b</string>

<string>pci168c,1c</string>

<string>pci168c,52</string>

<string>pci168c,55</string>

<string>pci168c,57</string>

<string>pci168c,58</string>

<string>pci168c,58a</string>

<string>pci168c,86</string>

<string>pci168c,87</string>

</array>

Go to terminal

sudo -s
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext 
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext 
touch /System/Library/Extensions
shutdown -r now

I think it work for your Atheros wireless card, and some AR500x card.

Where does one obtain AirportAtheros5424.kext ? I'm running JaS 10.4.8 and it is not installed by default, and I've searched, but cannot find this file.

I'm hoping that it will work with my Atheros AR5006XS card.

EDIT: Okay, that was a dumb question. I didn't get that the AirPortAtheros5424.kext is a sub-component of the IO80211Family.kext . I followed the above and replaced 10.4.8's IO80211Family.kext file with the one from 10.4.5 and followed the above instructions, but this hasn't worked for me.

Okay,one step further. When I get to the kextload of ArportAtheros5424.kext , I find that I'm "missing dependencies".

Would it make sense to try a newer IO80211Family.kext than from version 10.4.5? JaS 10.4.8's didn't work obviously, or I wouldn't have tried going through the above process in the first place. The hardes part of all of this is with no Internet access, I need to keep booting back into XP to get necessary files as I find I need them (my wired Ethernet is 3Com 3C920, and I don't have that up and working at this point either).

My Wifi card is a generic (Askey WLL4070) using the Atheros AR5006XS chip...any reports of folks getting that one working?

Thanks guys for taking the time to help out someone whose under-the-hood knowledge of OS X isn't as good as he'd like.

EDIT: I also tried Thang Bo's suggestions, using the 10.4.8 kext files (I have kept backups). This has not helped either. Neither network interface shows up in System Preferences>Network.

I'm doing this with a D-Link WDA-1320 card, and so far, so good.

I got past a few problems I was having with read/write permissions. Now my problem is that when I change networkinterfaces.plist, nothing happens. To make it clear, the ONLY things you have to do are change en0, to en1, and then change the integer of 0, to an interger of 1, right?

The only change I do see, is instead of my network adapter being refered to as built-in, it says something like PCI Ethernet (not exact wording)

Thanks

Okay,one step further. When I get to the kextload of ArportAtheros5424.kext , I find that I'm "missing dependencies".

Would it make sense to try a newer IO80211Family.kext than from version 10.4.5? JaS 10.4.8's didn't work obviously, or I wouldn't have tried going through the above process in the first place. The hardes part of all of this is with no Internet access, I need to keep booting back into XP to get necessary files as I find I need them (my wired Ethernet is 3Com 3C920, and I don't have that up and working at this point either).

My Wifi card is a generic (Askey WLL4070) using the Atheros AR5006XS chip...any reports of folks getting that one working?

Thanks guys for taking the time to help out someone whose under-the-hood knowledge of OS X isn't as good as he'd like.

EDIT: I also tried Thang Bo's suggestions, using the 10.4.8 kext files (I have kept backups). This has not helped either. Neither network interface shows up in System Preferences>Network.

I said my wireless card is Atheros AR5005G chipset

Try this:

Delete all Network Port in System Preferences>Network

download the latest AirPort from Apple

(link: http://supportdownload.apple.com/download....ate2007002.dmg)

Install and restart.

Then aplly my previous suggestion:

1. Change IONameMatch Key

2. Goto Terminal:

sudo -s
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext
touch /System/Library/Extensions
shutdown -r now

If it still not work. I have no idea :)

/library/systemconfiguration/networkinterfaces.plist

I can't find this file, I've done all the things list here,

using the last zip instead of the original mac updates..

can you post here the config file?

just to clarify, it's

/Library/PREFERENCES/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist.

I had a typo in my original post.

OK, so missing dependencies. not sure here, but did you install any of the Apple Airport Updates from software update? if so, it has modified your kexts and your "frameworks" (don't ask what they are, all i can say is that they have something to do with your hardware working). try somehow reverting to before installing airport update. (i say this because airport update messed up my laptop, though others have had success with it)

if not, perhaps post details on what dependencies are missing (if the kextload command doesn't give details, try with a -v or -vv or something, or check in system profiler>extensions)

finally, you mentioned your Ethernet is not working. maybe try editing networkinterfaces.plist?

I'm doing this with a D-Link WDA-1320 card, and so far, so good.

I got past a few problems I was having with read/write permissions. Now my problem is that when I change networkinterfaces.plist, nothing happens. To make it clear, the ONLY things you have to do are change en0, to en1, and then change the integer of 0, to an interger of 1, right?

The only change I do see, is instead of my network adapter being refered to as built-in, it says something like PCI Ethernet (not exact wording)

Thanks

from a quick google, I think that your D-Link is a AR5007. I know that under windows, the Atheros AR5001, 5002, 5003, 5004, 5005, 5212 share similar drivers that all come in one package but the 5007 requires a different installer altogether. maybe atheros changed their chip design or something.

as for Networkinterfaces.plist, never done it myself, but i did post the entire contents of the one i have that works. sorry, can't help you more there.

Edited by matt-hieu ergosteur

Would this work for an Atheros AR5005UX (its a USB2.0 WLAN device, specifically the ZyXEL M-202) if I put the correct Vendor ID and Product ID in the plist?

i don't see why not, but you never know with osx86!

hi guys, lets start with the typical statement "sorry my english is not good, in from Colombia"

The thing is, i followed matt's instructions and my wireless card was successfully installed, but whenever i try to connect to a wireless network (doenst matter if it has encryption or not) i cant connect. It shows me a message saying that it wasnt able to connect to the network, try again or ok.

I dont know what to do, i cant enter to my network eventhough i obviously have the password, cant connect to an unencrypted network, i cant do anything.

thx in advance

first of all sorry for my english.

im running mac osx 10.4.8 my wireless card from dlink mode wua-2340

this is what is show in USB About this mac

USB WLAN Device:

Version: 0.01

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Atheros Communications Inc

Product ID: 0x3a08

Serial Number: 1.0

Vendor ID: 0x07d1

What do i have to do to get wireless connected. please help me

Thanks Matthieu! You made my day! :)

Just got the new NETGEAR WG311T up and working as full Airport thanks to your explanation!

(after 3 days of searching, hacking and buying 3 different WLAN cards...)

Taco

taco i have the same card please help me how to set it up. please

hi guys, lets start with the typical statement "sorry my english is not good, in from Colombia"

The thing is, i followed matt's instructions and my wireless card was successfully installed, but whenever i try to connect to a wireless network (doenst matter if it has encryption or not) i cant connect. It shows me a message saying that it wasnt able to connect to the network, try again or ok.

I dont know what to do, i cant enter to my network eventhough i obviously have the password, cant connect to an unencrypted network, i cant do anything.

thx in advance

have you installed the airport update 2007? when i installed it, i couldn't connect to networks anymore.

Hi, i have mac os x 10.4.5 on a toshiba laptop

I have a 3com 3CRPAG175 a/b/g pcmcia card based on an atheros 5002 chipset

the PCMCIA bus is recognized and the pcmcia card is recognized as an "unknown network card"

the internal ethernet is set as et0

the vendor id is A727 and device id is 0013

additionally, it should work natively as someone stated on the wiki

but it doesn't work.

I tried to edit NetworkInterfaces.plist but there's no mention of my wlan

i have to edit info.plist in AirportAtheros5424.kext? (already edited and added my card info)

I recently bought a new laptop Toshiba Satelite a135. It has an Atheros 5006eg mini pci-e network card. Using the standard driver with 10.4.8 if i kextload the driver it loads without any dependency problems but doesn't work. With the driver from 10.4.5 under the system profiler it says (text copied from previous post)

Airportatheros5424:

Dependencies: Incomplete

Dependency Errors: com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family: No valid version of this dependency can be found

Is this due to the card being PCI-E and not PCI? Is there any way to make the current driver work or to port the madwifi driver?

Thanks

I recently bought a new laptop Toshiba Satelite a135. It has an Atheros 5006eg mini pci-e network card. Using the standard driver with 10.4.8 if i kextload the driver it loads without any dependency problems but doesn't work. With the driver from 10.4.5 under the system profiler it says (text copied from previous post)

Airportatheros5424:

Dependencies: Incomplete

Dependency Errors: com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family: No valid version of this dependency can be found

Is this due to the card being PCI-E and not PCI? Is there any way to make the current driver work or to port the madwifi driver?

Thanks

pci-e might be a problem, but that looks like your IO80211Family might have bad permissions or be otherwise modified/corrupted.

as for madwifi, i think it would be quite a bit of trouble. I'm trying to port the (outdated) linux pcmcia-cs driver and haven't had any success yet...

I don't know enough about apple IOKit/the differences between the mach_kernel and the linux kernel to really say for sure.

I've tried multiple times with the older kext, repaired permissions with disk utility and manually, but cannot use my wifi. If the problem is because the newer Atheros chips are PCI-E, does that mean other PCI-E cards wont work with OSx86?

Edit: my vender and device IDs are listed in the plist - 168c,1c -- I've tried changing 1 to 001 but didn't help.

I have tried for countless weekends to get this card to work. The wierd thing is that i took this card out of an apple mini. I came to the conclusion that this card will not work, at least it will not work with my laptop (XPS M1210). So why it's not working in my laptop under OSX is a mystery to me. Possibly because its a hacked / patched copy. That is the only reason that I came up with. to make a long story short. I gave up. I brought a compatible card. However I am still confused about why it dosen't work.

Ok, i have a Acer Aspire 5102WLMi with an Atheros 5005. I followed your guide and everything worked alright, apart from the fact that it's still not recocnized. Could that be because i didnt changed en0 to en1 in the networkinterfaces.plist file? If so, is somebody able to tell me how to modify the file? I'm a total noob to all of those things..

After the atheros driver is installed, if you don't have onboard ethernet, it will be recognized as en0, but should be en1. In the terminal type:

sudo -s

cd /library/preferences/systemconfiguration/

nano NetworkInterfaces.plist

Here it should list the network adapters on your computer (and Firewire if you have it). You need to change en0 to en1 listed under BSD Name and 0 to 1 under IOInterfaceUnit only for the airport driver.

After the changes are made, type:

press control + x -- exit

press y -- yes

press enter

Hope that helps

Hi ghw9132, I am considering to buy the GN-WI01GT 108 Mbit, from what I have understood that is the Mini PCI-e card you have built into your Toshiba, right? Could you please confirm or correct me? [the shop in Germany sells it as the AR5006EGS]

Also, in your sig you say you have not gotten it to work - is that still current, or did what you mentioned in your posting above do the trick for you?

Thanks & cheers,

Bugs