• Please log in to reply
345 replies to this topic

MrFuzzemz

MrFuzzemz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Does everyone here have this card preinstalled in their notebooks or did anyone buy after market? I'm interested in obtaining one--my Gigabyte GN-WI01GT just won't work.

ergosteur

ergosteur

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Does everyone here have this card preinstalled in their notebooks or did anyone buy after market? I'm interested in obtaining one--my Gigabyte GN-WI01GT just won't work.

Mine was preinstalled... You can definitely get one for reasonably cheap on ebay. I think that even the older 5002 or 5004 cards should work.

Piero A.

Piero A.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
On my Acer Aspire 5612Wlmi I try to use a Gigabyte GN-WI01GT Mini Pci-E (Atheros chipset) card but I can't use it on WinXp because bios or driver don't enable it (led remain off) even if driver is installed and ok.
On Mac OSX 10.4.8 kernel 8.8.1 is perfectly recognized and activated (even mac addres is correct) but when I try to connect any network i got kernel panic.
Native wireless card for tis notebook is an Intel 3945 A/B/G mini pci-e.

Caboose

Caboose

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Same as Piero. I have the card installed and all appears to be working until I try to connect to a wir3eless network, then I get a kernel panic.

I'm using the AirPortAtheros.kext from the 2007 AirPort update.

ergosteur

ergosteur

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Same as Piero. I have the card installed and all appears to be working until I try to connect to a wir3eless network, then I get a kernel panic.

The AirPort 2007 update gives me kernel panic as well. don't install it. use the kext from the 10.4.5 update.

MrFuzzemz

MrFuzzemz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

I don't believe there is an apple driver that can handle that particular Gigabyte card and its chipset. I believe the reason that inserting the dev id in AirPortAtheros.kext causes a kernel panic is just that.

Caboose

Caboose

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
The devid is in AirPortAtheros5424.kext from the 10.4.5 update by default. I can't even view wireless networks with it though like I can with the 2007 update.

justaviet

justaviet

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
i just bought a Atheros AR5006EGS pci-e hoping to replace my intel 3945abg

but.. when i install the 1045 kext the card isnt even recognized

any ideas?

Gato_shin

Gato_shin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Quite a lot
Hey there, I'm using an acer too and get a Broadcom 94318... Surely it can be recogonized as airport but just can't get any wireless signal...

I think it's because of the softswitch...

I think my laptop's wireless radio and bluetooth are always closed by default and after entering windowsXP ,they were opend via the LaunchManager, but there isn't such software under mac ( I heard there are such kinda software under linux, maybe someone can port it to OSX?)...

And the situation in OSX is just like radio is turned off but card not disabled in XP , it is considered as working but can't get any signal...
That's why I think it's because of the softswitch problem.

Have you guys using acer got this problem? How did you solved it ?

ergosteur

ergosteur

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Hey there, I'm using an acer too and get a Broadcom 94318... Surely it can be recogonized as airport but just can't get any wireless signal...

I think it's because of the softswitch...

I think my laptop's wireless radio and bluetooth are always closed by default and after entering windowsXP ,they were opend via the LaunchManager, but there isn't such software under mac ( I heard there are such kinda software under linux, maybe someone can port it to OSX?)...
And the situation in OSX is just like radio is turned off but card not disabled in XP , it is considered as working but can't get any signal...
That's why I think it's because of the softswitch problem.
Have you guys using acer got this problem? How did you solved it ?

i think that by default the wireless and bluetooth are enabled: my acer didn't come with xp installed, and when i installed ubuntu, the wireless worked fine. when i finally decided to install xp, i didn't install the launch manager program and the wireless works anyways (the switches on the front don't do anything, the light stays on always).
in mac os x, the light is always on as well.
also, xp connects to wireless networks before login, but launch manager only opens after login, so the wireless can't be enabled by the launch manager (at least that's what happens with my atheros)

i just bought a Atheros AR5006EGS pci-e hoping to replace my intel 3945abg

but.. when i install the 1045 kext the card isnt even recognized

any ideas?

maybe try using the kext from the 2007 airport update, since the macbook core duo uses a 5006 and i'm guessing apple will have support for the chip they use in their own laptops in the latest version. just backup before, just incase it screws up your install.

Faruk

Faruk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Pure genius!!!

My Toshiba Hackintosh is 97% combat effective!!

Thanks again!

Ok, got atheros 5005 MiniPCI working, also using 10.4.7 JaS.
edit: please note you have to have your wireless/airport device as en1, in my case my built in ethernet takes en0 so it works out fine. (make change in /library/systemconfiguration/networkinterfaces.plist)

• Download the official Intel 10.4.5 update from Apple (98MB) (http://www.apple.com...45forintel.html)
  • Backup your /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext
  • Extract the IO80211Family.kext from the 10.4.5 update (using pacifist?)
  • open finder to /System/Library/Extensions
  • drag the kext from 10.4.5 update into the /System/Library/Extensions folder
  • enter passsword when prompted
  • open the disk utility (/Application/Utilities/Disk Utility), then repair permissions on your Startup volume (may take a little while)
  • open up terminal, and switch to root (enter sudo -s, enter your user password)
cd /System/Library/Extensions
 chmod -R 755 IO80211family.kext
 chown -R root:wheel IO80211family.kext
then list the contents
ls -l
make sure the IO80211Family line looks like this:
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102 Feb  2  2006 IO80211Family.kext
check that the permissions propagated to subdirectories:
cd IO80211Family.kext/contents/plugins
 ls -l
should look like this:
total 0
 drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102 Feb  2  2006 AirPortAtheros5424.kext
 drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102 Feb  2  2006 AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext
then test that the extensions works:
kextload AirPortAtheros5424.kext
should give a extension loaded successfully message

then you have to go to System Preferences>Network
a message should pop up telling you you have a new AirPort. from the Show: box, pick AirPort. you can set the options here, i suggest you check the Show airport status in menu bar, make sure you click apply now.

There you have it, fully working native Atheros card! :D

Jami Ortiz

Jami Ortiz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
I dont understand why this is happening I tried everything in here and I even tried looking to see if everyone else was having the same problem. I get a new port detected but its showing up as a Fire wire port. I have 2 fire wire ports I am not sure how or why this is happening .I have the same files I also edit the Netowork interfaces and En0 or en1 isn't even listed. There is just one entry and its for Fw0 (fire wire 0) I am not sure why this hard ware is being identified incorrectly.

Also, The kext says load succesfully when I do a kext load but at started up it says that it was not loaded successuly.

I am really confused, and not sure what I should try next. I took this card out of the Apple, Intel mac mini that I have.

Thang Bo

Thang Bo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
My wireless card is AR5005G. As instruction at page 1, use IO80211Family kext 10.4.5 . It's OK. But when you upgrade IO80211Family kext to the latest from Apple, system can find your wireless card.

How to use the latest update without problem with AR5005G card ???

Download the latest IO80211Family kext from Apple and install it. Then restart and I found that system can find your wireless card.
Go to : /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext/Contents/
and edit Info.plist file

Find
<key>IONameMatch</key>
and change it to : (delete the old value)
<array>
<string>pci106b,0086</string>
<string>pci106b,1c</string>
<string>pci168c,1c</string>
<string>pci168c,1014</string>
<string>pci168c,13</string>
<string>pci168c,14</string>
<string>pci168c,15</string>
<string>pci168c,16</string>
<string>pci168c,17</string>
<string>pci168c,18</string>
<string>pci168c,19</string>
<string>pci168c,1a</string>
<string>pci168c,1b</string>
<string>pci168c,1c</string>
<string>pci168c,52</string>
<string>pci168c,55</string>
<string>pci168c,57</string>
<string>pci168c,58</string>
<string>pci168c,58a</string>
<string>pci168c,86</string>
<string>pci168c,87</string>
</array>

Go to terminal

sudo -schown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext touch /System/Library/Extensionsshutdown -r now

I think it work for your Atheros wireless card, and some AR500x card.

LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Where does one obtain AirportAtheros5424.kext ? I'm running JaS 10.4.8 and it is not installed by default, and I've searched, but cannot find this file.

I'm hoping that it will work with my Atheros AR5006XS card.

EDIT: Okay, that was a dumb question. I didn't get that the AirPortAtheros5424.kext is a sub-component of the IO80211Family.kext . I followed the above and replaced 10.4.8's IO80211Family.kext file with the one from 10.4.5 and followed the above instructions, but this hasn't worked for me.

LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay,one step further. When I get to the kextload of ArportAtheros5424.kext , I find that I'm "missing dependencies".

Would it make sense to try a newer IO80211Family.kext than from version 10.4.5? JaS 10.4.8's didn't work obviously, or I wouldn't have tried going through the above process in the first place. The hardes part of all of this is with no Internet access, I need to keep booting back into XP to get necessary files as I find I need them (my wired Ethernet is 3Com 3C920, and I don't have that up and working at this point either).

My Wifi card is a generic (Askey WLL4070) using the Atheros AR5006XS chip...any reports of folks getting that one working?

Thanks guys for taking the time to help out someone whose under-the-hood knowledge of OS X isn't as good as he'd like.

EDIT: I also tried Thang Bo's suggestions, using the 10.4.8 kext files (I have kept backups). This has not helped either. Neither network interface shows up in System Preferences>Network.

Alvo

Alvo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm doing this with a D-Link WDA-1320 card, and so far, so good.
I got past a few problems I was having with read/write permissions. Now my problem is that when I change networkinterfaces.plist, nothing happens. To make it clear, the ONLY things you have to do are change en0, to en1, and then change the integer of 0, to an interger of 1, right?

The only change I do see, is instead of my network adapter being refered to as built-in, it says something like PCI Ethernet (not exact wording)
Thanks

Alvo

Alvo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Anybody? :)

Thang Bo

Thang Bo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Okay,one step further. When I get to the kextload of ArportAtheros5424.kext , I find that I'm "missing dependencies".

Would it make sense to try a newer IO80211Family.kext than from version 10.4.5? JaS 10.4.8's didn't work obviously, or I wouldn't have tried going through the above process in the first place. The hardes part of all of this is with no Internet access, I need to keep booting back into XP to get necessary files as I find I need them (my wired Ethernet is 3Com 3C920, and I don't have that up and working at this point either).

My Wifi card is a generic (Askey WLL4070) using the Atheros AR5006XS chip...any reports of folks getting that one working?

Thanks guys for taking the time to help out someone whose under-the-hood knowledge of OS X isn't as good as he'd like.

EDIT: I also tried Thang Bo's suggestions, using the 10.4.8 kext files (I have kept backups). This has not helped either. Neither network interface shows up in System Preferences>Network.

I said my wireless card is Atheros AR5005G chipset

Try this:
Delete all Network Port in System Preferences>Network
download the latest AirPort from Apple
(link: http://supportdownlo...ate2007002.dmg)
Install and restart.
Then aplly my previous suggestion:
1. Change IONameMatch Key
2. Goto Terminal:
sudo -schown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kextchmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kexttouch /System/Library/Extensionsshutdown -r now

If it still not work. I have no idea :)

ergosteur

ergosteur

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

/library/systemconfiguration/networkinterfaces.plist

I can't find this file, I've done all the things list here,
using the last zip instead of the original mac updates..
can you post here the config file?

just to clarify, it's
/Library/PREFERENCES/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist.

I had a typo in my original post.

OK, so missing dependencies. not sure here, but did you install any of the Apple Airport Updates from software update? if so, it has modified your kexts and your "frameworks" (don't ask what they are, all i can say is that they have something to do with your hardware working). try somehow reverting to before installing airport update. (i say this because airport update messed up my laptop, though others have had success with it)

if not, perhaps post details on what dependencies are missing (if the kextload command doesn't give details, try with a -v or -vv or something, or check in system profiler>extensions)

finally, you mentioned your Ethernet is not working. maybe try editing networkinterfaces.plist?

I'm doing this with a D-Link WDA-1320 card, and so far, so good.
I got past a few problems I was having with read/write permissions. Now my problem is that when I change networkinterfaces.plist, nothing happens. To make it clear, the ONLY things you have to do are change en0, to en1, and then change the integer of 0, to an interger of 1, right?

The only change I do see, is instead of my network adapter being refered to as built-in, it says something like PCI Ethernet (not exact wording)
Thanks

from a quick google, I think that your D-Link is a AR5007. I know that under windows, the Atheros AR5001, 5002, 5003, 5004, 5005, 5212 share similar drivers that all come in one package but the 5007 requires a different installer altogether. maybe atheros changed their chip design or something.

as for Networkinterfaces.plist, never done it myself, but i did post the entire contents of the one i have that works. sorry, can't help you more there.

Edited by matt-hieu ergosteur, 11 April 2007 - 05:11 AM.

Niko_K

Niko_K

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
This worked for me for a couple days and then randomly one day it said there was no airport hardware installed :S Using an Acer Aspire 5570z

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy