Atheros AR5005(G)

motroxx

347 posts in this topic

Hi!

I followed your tutorial but got an error after loading AirportAtheros5424.kext.

Airportatheros5424:

Dependencies: Incomplete

Dependency Errors: com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family: No valid version of this dependency can be found

Any clue?

Hello, If your installation was the same as mine (more or less) have the files you need at hand, and just try it again, step by step, be careful not to miss anything.

Good luck,

.marius

http://www.wirelessisfun.com

Hello,

I used tubgirl 10.4.8 AMD release to perform my install. Everything ran smoothly. I tried to have my WG311t working several times using the method described in this post, and carefully followed it each time. Any advice?

i'm not guaranteeing anything, but can you provide more details? errors? screenshots?

then it'll be easier to help you

never used a tubgirl dvd myself... only JaS. where did you get it? on demonoid?

Here are some details on what is occuring:

I used IO80211Family.kext from the 10.4.5 update downloaded from apple web site and replaced the one in Extensions folder as described in this post. As my buit in Ethernet card is recognized as en0 there should be no need to modify the NetworkInterfaces.plist file. The kextload command was successful but when I check the extension status in system profiler here is what I get:

post-86956-1172282769_thumb.jpg

here is also IO80211family extension status:

post-86956-1172282790_thumb.jpg

The image is on ThePirateBay named OSX 1048 AMD Final posted by Tubgirl.

Let me know if you need any other info and thanks a lot for your help and time :)

Edited by valamyr_sc

Oddly enough, my AirPortAtheros5424 kext has more failed dependencies than yours:

airportatheroskl9.png

the IO80211Family on my pc is identical version and date to yours.

it seems that my iopcifamily is also modified, so i've included a shot and zip of mine.

iopciji6.png

IOPCIFamily.kext.zip

hope it helps.

Edited by matt-hieu ergosteur

Thanks for your quick answer. I used your IOPCIfamily.kext without any good result and I have now the same dependencies errors as you for AirportAtheros5424.kext. Still working on it :rolleyes:

Btw what is your Apple80211 Framework version? mine is 4.3.2

Edited by valamyr_sc

As my buit in Ethernet card is recognized as en0 there should be no need to modify the NetworkInterfaces.plist file.

I also have a built in ethernet card recognized as en0. But nevertheless I have modified the NetworkInterfaces.plist and it works great. Try it also, maybe it works. (make a backup of the file to go sure)

Thanks for your quick answer. I used your IOPCIfamily.kext without any good result and I have now the same dependencies errors as you for AirportAtheros5424.kext. Still working on it :)

Btw what is your Apple80211 Framework version? mine is 4.3.2

i want to say just get the JaS 10.4.8 dvd from demonoid.... maybe ill get the tubgirl one to tryand help out

my Apple80211 Framework is 4.3.1... that might be it. i've seen people having problems when installing the apple AirPort updates and they think it's framework-related. i suppose you could get the framework from the 10.4.5 update, i'll post mine in a bit. you might have difficulty un-updating yours though, i got "special permissions" errors when trying to copy it to the desktop.

Edited by matt-hieu ergosteur

I already tried the Jas release but my wifi card was not working either. I read that PCI is not working properly in the Jas release for AMD processor, this is why I tried Tubgirl release. I experienced the same problem as you when I tried to downgrade the framwork.

Anyway thanks a lot for your help and time, it'really appreciated!

Edited by valamyr_sc

First of all excuse me for my bad English, i'm Italian...

I own an Acer Aspire 5610 that originally have a Intel 8945ABG wireless mini pci-e card.

I bought a Gigabyte GN-WI01GT Mini pci-e card that is Atheros 5005 chipset with Ven ID 168C e Dev id 1c.

Tried with 10.4.5 IO80211.kext not working so i done the last Airport Extreme update. After This inside there is anoter file named Atheros.kext so I add the dev 1c inside of this file and now is recognized but when i select my network from Airport icon system is hanging and need restart with power button.

Somebody have a solution?

I own an Acer Aspire 5610 that originally have a Intel 8945ABG wireless mini pci-e card.

I bought a Gigabyte GN-WI01GT Mini pci-e card that is Atheros 5005 chipset with Ven ID 168C e Dev id 1c.

Tried with 10.4.5 IO80211.kext not working so i done the last Airport Extreme update. After This inside there is another file named Atheros.kext so I add the dev 1c inside of this file and now is recognized but when i select my network from Airport icon system is hanging and need restart with power button.

Tried with 10.4.5 IO80211.kext not working so i done the last Airport Extreme update. After This inside there is another file named Atheros.kext so I add the dev 1c inside of this file and now is recognized but when i select my network from Airport icon system is hanging and need restart with power button.

I've got the same card as above and I've tried the 10.4.5 kext, 10.4.8, 2007, etc. When loading the kext I get the following:

sudo kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext/
kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext/ appears to be valid
Bus error

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

then test that the extensions works:

kextload AirPortAtheros5424.kext

should give a extension loaded successfully message

then you have to go to System Preferences>Network

a message should pop up telling you you have a new AirPort. from the Show: box, pick AirPort. you can set the options here, i suggest you check the Show airport status in menu bar, make sure you click apply now.

There you have it, fully working native Atheros card! :)

was following my own tutorial after reinstalling, and found that for whatever reason it didn't work. I found that deleting the /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache and then doing either a kextcache -e or kextcache -k fixed it. sorry for not providing more details, but i typed one of those commands, rebooted, and then System Prefs detected airport.

Does everyone here have this card preinstalled in their notebooks or did anyone buy after market? I'm interested in obtaining one--my Gigabyte GN-WI01GT just won't work.

Mine was preinstalled... You can definitely get one for reasonably cheap on ebay. I think that even the older 5002 or 5004 cards should work.

On my Acer Aspire 5612Wlmi I try to use a Gigabyte GN-WI01GT Mini Pci-E (Atheros chipset) card but I can't use it on WinXp because bios or driver don't enable it (led remain off) even if driver is installed and ok.

On Mac OSX 10.4.8 kernel 8.8.1 is perfectly recognized and activated (even mac addres is correct) but when I try to connect any network i got kernel panic.

Native wireless card for tis notebook is an Intel 3945 A/B/G mini pci-e.

Same as Piero. I have the card installed and all appears to be working until I try to connect to a wir3eless network, then I get a kernel panic.

I'm using the AirPortAtheros.kext from the 2007 AirPort update.

The AirPort 2007 update gives me kernel panic as well. don't install it. use the kext from the 10.4.5 update.

Same as Piero. I have the card installed and all appears to be working until I try to connect to a wir3eless network, then I get a kernel panic.

I'm using the AirPortAtheros.kext from the 2007 AirPort update.

I don't believe there is an apple driver that can handle that particular Gigabyte card and its chipset. I believe the reason that inserting the dev id in AirPortAtheros.kext causes a kernel panic is just that.

Hey there, I'm using an acer too and get a Broadcom 94318... Surely it can be recogonized as airport but just can't get any wireless signal...

I think it's because of the softswitch...

I think my laptop's wireless radio and bluetooth are always closed by default and after entering windowsXP ,they were opend via the LaunchManager, but there isn't such software under mac ( I heard there are such kinda software under linux, maybe someone can port it to OSX?)...

And the situation in OSX is just like radio is turned off but card not disabled in XP , it is considered as working but can't get any signal...

That's why I think it's because of the softswitch problem.

Have you guys using acer got this problem? How did you solved it ?

Hey there, I'm using an acer too and get a Broadcom 94318... Surely it can be recogonized as airport but just can't get any wireless signal...

I think it's because of the softswitch...

I think my laptop's wireless radio and bluetooth are always closed by default and after entering windowsXP ,they were opend via the LaunchManager, but there isn't such software under mac ( I heard there are such kinda software under linux, maybe someone can port it to OSX?)...

And the situation in OSX is just like radio is turned off but card not disabled in XP , it is considered as working but can't get any signal...

That's why I think it's because of the softswitch problem.

Have you guys using acer got this problem? How did you solved it ?

i think that by default the wireless and bluetooth are enabled: my acer didn't come with xp installed, and when i installed ubuntu, the wireless worked fine. when i finally decided to install xp, i didn't install the launch manager program and the wireless works anyways (the switches on the front don't do anything, the light stays on always).

in mac os x, the light is always on as well.

also, xp connects to wireless networks before login, but launch manager only opens after login, so the wireless can't be enabled by the launch manager (at least that's what happens with my atheros)

i just bought a Atheros AR5006EGS pci-e hoping to replace my intel 3945abg

but.. when i install the 1045 kext the card isnt even recognized

any ideas?

maybe try using the kext from the 2007 airport update, since the macbook core duo uses a 5006 and i'm guessing apple will have support for the chip they use in their own laptops in the latest version. just backup before, just incase it screws up your install.