ergosteur

ergosteur

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

"Backup your /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext"
what?????????????????
help!!!! i restarted the computer, and now he shows me panic message while he charges the system! no way to run other installers! not even the win xp one! :thumbsdown_anim: ;) :censored2: !
i did all the procedure for the kext, i took it, overwrited the old io80211family.kext,repaired with disk utility, inserted the commands on the terminal, but he said that there was an error charging the extension
tried with -v, he says that there's an error on the io80211family.kext extensions, goes on charging, and then stops everything... i try to run the 10.4.5 jas on a dvd but he makes blue screen and stays like that

he works with -x i'm using disk utility to repair the extensions THANKS FOR HELP -.-"
rosetta went crazy all the apps that need rosetta can't be runned i think i have to reinstall osx

ummm... so is everything fine? i suggest you use a newer JaS dvd, maybe 10.4.7 or 10.4.8

Hey guys,

I have an Acer 2482, with an Atheros AR5005G WiFi Airport, I followed the instructions, everything went well, only that I don't have the NetworkInteraces.plist where it should be...
Could someone please paste it's contents here? I'm totally new to everything concerning osx... And I really Really want to make it work. I started with WiFi, I'm going to take a look at the ethernet card now, until I get an answer... :(
.marius
http://www.wirelessisfun.com

i don't know why you would need to edit it... i think that Acer has a Realtek 8139, like mine, so the ethernet should work without hacking and your Wireless should show up as en1 automatically.
the NetworkInterfaces.plist is in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration. mine looks like this:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Interfaces</key>
	<array>
		<dict>
			<key>BSD Name</key>
			<string>en0</string>
			<key>IOBuiltin</key>
			<false/>
			<key>IOInterfaceType</key>
			<integer>6</integer>
			<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<key>IOLocation</key>
			<string></string>
			<key>IOMACAddress</key>
			<data>
			ABbTSNWo
			</data>
			<key>IOPathMatch</key>
			<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PCIB@1E/IOPCI2PCIBridge/LANB@7/com_apple_driver_RTL8139/IOEthernetInterface</string>
		</dict>
		<dict>
			<key>BSD Name</key>
			<string>en1</string>
			<key>IOBuiltin</key>
			<false/>
			<integer>6</integer>
			<integer>1</integer>
			<key>IOLocation</key>
			<string></string>
			<key>IOMACAddress</key>
			<data>
			ABbOATB3
			</data>
			<key>IOPathMatch</key>
			<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PCIB@1E/IOPCI2PCIBridge/ethernet@5/AirPort_Athr5424/AtherosInterface</string>
		</dict>
		<dict>
			<key>BSD Name</key>
			<string>en2</string>
			<key>IOBuiltin</key>
			<false/>
			<integer>6</integer>
			<integer>2</integer>
			<key>IOLocation</key>
			<string></string>
			<key>IOMACAddress</key>
			<data>
			AAEjRWeJ
			</data>
			<key>IOPathMatch</key>
			<string>IOService:/IOResources/com_parallels_kext_Pvsvnic0/com_parallels_kext_PvsvnicInterface</string>
		</dict>
		<dict>
			<key>BSD Name</key>
			<string>en3</string>
			<key>IOBuiltin</key>
			<false/>
			<integer>6</integer>
			<integer>3</integer>
			<key>IOLocation</key>
			<string></string>
			<key>IOMACAddress</key>
			<data>
			ABAyVHaY
			</data>
			<key>IOPathMatch</key>
			<string>IOService:/IOResources/com_parallels_kext_Pvsvnic1/com_parallels_kext_PvsvnicInterface</string>
		</dict>
	</array>
</dict>
</plist>

.marius

.marius

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It worked, using your NetworkInterfaces.plist file :blink: thank you very much, I had a great wireless day ahead. My ethernet on the other hand, was not so happy because it's a Marvel Yukon Gigabit card. I seldomly use it, so I didn't pay much attention to it.

However, I tried installing my realtek 883 sound card, and now I get a kernel panic. I'll fix that soon :P right now, I need to get some *real world* work on.

Thanks Matthieu

.marius

roccoo

roccoo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
i can't run over 10.4.1 tomorrow i 'm going to reinstall it and try (for the 3rd time) to install the 10.4.8, but can you explain me what "backup the extension means?

Edited by roccoo, 19 February 2007 - 05:14 PM.

.marius

.marius

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
backup the extension means taking it and placing it in a safe place.

just make a copy of it somewhere where you won't lose it.

Taco

Taco

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks Matthieu! You made my day! :wacko:

Just got the new NETGEAR WG311T up and working as full Airport thanks to your explanation!
(after 3 days of searching, hacking and buying 3 different WLAN cards...)

Taco

valamyr_sc

valamyr_sc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi!

I followed your tutorial but got an error after loading AirportAtheros5424.kext.

Airportatheros5424:

Dependencies: Incomplete
Dependency Errors: com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family: No valid version of this dependency can be found

Any clue?

.marius

.marius

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi!

I followed your tutorial but got an error after loading AirportAtheros5424.kext.

Airportatheros5424:

Dependencies: Incomplete
Dependency Errors: com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family: No valid version of this dependency can be found

Any clue?

Hello, If your installation was the same as mine (more or less) have the files you need at hand, and just try it again, step by step, be careful not to miss anything.

Good luck,

.marius

valamyr_sc

valamyr_sc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello,

I used tubgirl 10.4.8 AMD release to perform my install. Everything ran smoothly. I tried to have my WG311t working several times using the method described in this post, and carefully followed it each time. Any advice?

.marius

.marius

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, I'm an OSX beginner myself and I used 10.4.6 JaS and I still had to download the file in the tutorial.

ergosteur

ergosteur

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Hello,

I used tubgirl 10.4.8 AMD release to perform my install. Everything ran smoothly. I tried to have my WG311t working several times using the method described in this post, and carefully followed it each time. Any advice?

i'm not guaranteeing anything, but can you provide more details? errors? screenshots?
then it'll be easier to help you

never used a tubgirl dvd myself... only JaS. where did you get it? on demonoid?

valamyr_sc

valamyr_sc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Here are some details on what is occuring:

I used IO80211Family.kext from the 10.4.5 update downloaded from apple web site and replaced the one in Extensions folder as described in this post. As my buit in Ethernet card is recognized as en0 there should be no need to modify the NetworkInterfaces.plist file. The kextload command was successful but when I check the extension status in system profiler here is what I get:

Attached File  airportatheros.jpg   151.55KB   2246 downloads

here is also IO80211family extension status:

Attached File  io80211family.jpg   143.2KB   684 downloads

The image is on ThePirateBay named OSX 1048 AMD Final posted by Tubgirl.

Let me know if you need any other info and thanks a lot for your help and time :)

Edited by valamyr_sc, 24 February 2007 - 02:18 AM.

ergosteur

ergosteur

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Oddly enough, my AirPortAtheros5424 kext has more failed dependencies than yours:
Posted Image
the IO80211Family on my pc is identical version and date to yours.
it seems that my iopcifamily is also modified, so i've included a shot and zip of mine.
Posted Image

Attached File  IOPCIFamily.kext.zip   54.75KB   797 downloads

hope it helps.

Edited by matt-hieu ergosteur, 24 February 2007 - 02:54 AM.

valamyr_sc

valamyr_sc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for your quick answer. I used your IOPCIfamily.kext without any good result and I have now the same dependencies errors as you for AirportAtheros5424.kext. Still working on it :rolleyes:

Btw what is your Apple80211 Framework version? mine is 4.3.2

Edited by valamyr_sc, 24 February 2007 - 04:54 AM.

Taco

Taco

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

As my buit in Ethernet card is recognized as en0 there should be no need to modify the NetworkInterfaces.plist file.

I also have a built in ethernet card recognized as en0. But nevertheless I have modified the NetworkInterfaces.plist and it works great. Try it also, maybe it works. (make a backup of the file to go sure)

ergosteur

ergosteur

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Thanks for your quick answer. I used your IOPCIfamily.kext without any good result and I have now the same dependencies errors as you for AirportAtheros5424.kext. Still working on it :)

Btw what is your Apple80211 Framework version? mine is 4.3.2

i want to say just get the JaS 10.4.8 dvd from demonoid.... maybe ill get the tubgirl one to tryand help out
my Apple80211 Framework is 4.3.1... that might be it. i've seen people having problems when installing the apple AirPort updates and they think it's framework-related. i suppose you could get the framework from the 10.4.5 update, i'll post mine in a bit. you might have difficulty un-updating yours though, i got "special permissions" errors when trying to copy it to the desktop.

Edited by matt-hieu ergosteur, 24 February 2007 - 08:22 PM.

valamyr_sc

valamyr_sc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I already tried the Jas release but my wifi card was not working either. I read that PCI is not working properly in the Jas release for AMD processor, this is why I tried Tubgirl release. I experienced the same problem as you when I tried to downgrade the framwork.

Anyway thanks a lot for your help and time, it'really appreciated!

Edited by valamyr_sc, 24 February 2007 - 10:41 PM.

Piero A.

Piero A.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
First of all excuse me for my bad English, i'm Italian...

I own an Acer Aspire 5610 that originally have a Intel 8945ABG wireless mini pci-e card.
I bought a Gigabyte GN-WI01GT Mini pci-e card that is Atheros 5005 chipset with Ven ID 168C e Dev id 1c.
Tried with 10.4.5 IO80211.kext not working so i done the last Airport Extreme update. After This inside there is anoter file named Atheros.kext so I add the dev 1c inside of this file and now is recognized but when i select my network from Airport icon system is hanging and need restart with power button.

Somebody have a solution?

Piero A.

Piero A.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

I own an Acer Aspire 5610 that originally have a Intel 8945ABG wireless mini pci-e card.
I bought a Gigabyte GN-WI01GT Mini pci-e card that is Atheros 5005 chipset with Ven ID 168C e Dev id 1c.
Tried with 10.4.5 IO80211.kext not working so i done the last Airport Extreme update. After This inside there is another file named Atheros.kext so I add the dev 1c inside of this file and now is recognized but when i select my network from Airport icon system is hanging and need restart with power button.

MrFuzzemz

MrFuzzemz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Tried with 10.4.5 IO80211.kext not working so i done the last Airport Extreme update. After This inside there is another file named Atheros.kext so I add the dev 1c inside of this file and now is recognized but when i select my network from Airport icon system is hanging and need restart with power button.

I've got the same card as above and I've tried the 10.4.5 kext, 10.4.8, 2007, etc. When loading the kext I get the following:

sudo kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext/
kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext/ appears to be valid
Bus error

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

ergosteur

ergosteur

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

then test that the extensions works:

kextload AirPortAtheros5424.kext
should give a extension loaded successfully message

then you have to go to System Preferences>Network
a message should pop up telling you you have a new AirPort. from the Show: box, pick AirPort. you can set the options here, i suggest you check the Show airport status in menu bar, make sure you click apply now.

There you have it, fully working native Atheros card! :)

was following my own tutorial after reinstalling, and found that for whatever reason it didn't work. I found that deleting the /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache and then doing either a kextcache -e or kextcache -k fixed it. sorry for not providing more details, but i typed one of those commands, rebooted, and then System Prefs detected airport.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy