Atheros AR5005(G)

motroxx

347 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

---------------------------------------------

UPDATE

Now it works... it was an error of me opening my laptop a few weeks ago, I had left one of the 2 cables connected to the AR5005G kind of loose... I connected it firmly and rebooted computer and suddenly it started working :unsure:

---------------------------------------------

I have an issue

My laptop is an Acer Aspire 3680 in which comes with AR5005G wireless... I recently did a Retail Snow 10.6.0 install, now using the latest 10.6.2

Here is the thing... since fresh install 10.6.0 my card has been detected *Airport is always On, but its just Gray Fan Lines it doesn't find any network connection.... now since update with 10.6.2 yes its still th same... still detected but not finding any network connection

Things I've tried:

1- I have deleted NetworkInterface.plist & Preferences.plist rebooted and they still are *re-Made automatically upon getting back into the OS... still the AirPort card is detected... gray fan lines

2- I did try what someone else posted for Snow Leopard *Working*, Upgrading to 10.6.2 + Airport Client Update (2009 002) > Renaming/Deleting AppleHPET.kext > adding my Device & Vendor ID in AirPortAtheros.kext (in which I did not have to do it, because It already comes with my Device & Vendor ID... I'm guessing that is why I always get my Airpot Detected without altering anything)..... well repaired permissions, rebooted... and Still the same symptoms as before

Any other help ideas here for Snow Leopard for AR5005G?

For me in the past that card worked perfectly under 10.5.5, 10.5.6, 10.5.7 & 10.5.8 using: Atheros.pkg http://www.mediafire.com/?vtvrfzdit1p

but obviously this won't work for Snow Leopard

well I have a Tp-link TL-WN551G and snow leopard! haw can i made it work?!?!

Sorry but did you get to read the thread title where you have just wrote your question.... this only specifically for Atheros AR5005G

If you need help on your card, make a new thread... or use the Search Bar from here in insanelymac...

***D-LINK DWL-G510, THIS REVISION HAS THE ATHEROS AR2413 CHIPSET also known as ATHEROS 5005G***

D-link DWL-G510 works by default out-of-the-box in 10.6.0

D-link DWL-G510 loses support 10.6.1 and 10.6.2

D-link DWL-G510 loses support Airport update 10.6.2 which brings IO80211Family.kext to v3.1

Only one file edited which is IO80211Family.kext.

IO80211Family.kext > Contents > Plugins > AirPortAtheros21.kext > Contents > Info.plist
Change pci168c,2a to pci168c,1a(pci168c,1a is the correct address for the D-link card.)

In 10.6.0 and 10.6.1 and early version of 10.6.2 IO80211Family.kext used to use a plugin called AirPortAtheros.kext now they have left that alone they still have support for some cards but not the one i'm trying to get working and now have moved over to AirPortAtheros21.kext which i edited with my correct cards ID.

Hope you enjoy this kext i edited.

http://www.mediafire.com/?5wkengr2gvn

Please let me know if it works.

WORKS 32BIT AND 64BIT, Latest Airport Update of 10.6.2

• 2 weeks later...

hi

new to this whole hackmac stuff. i just successfully installed a working vanilla os.

everything is fine.

except the wireless.

installed 10.6.0 then _sometimes_ my TP LINK WN551G wireless pci card worked natively, sometimes not.

maybe 1 reboot out of 5! strange. if it booted with airport on then internet was is. when booted as off then "turn airport on" doesnt work.

once i updated the system via apple update

now its 10.6.3

wireless completely stopped working

what now? any advice? the easiest method?

i have seen that this card has this atheros chipset, and it worked somehow so it could work again.

thank you

edit: searched the forums and it seems its a known issue that cannot be fixed (yet?)

solved with an usb wifi dongle: asus wl-167g

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Ok, got atheros 5005 MiniPCI working, also using 10.4.7 JaS.

edit: please note you have to have your wireless/airport device as en1, in my case my built in ethernet takes en0 so it works out fine. (make change in /library/systemconfiguration/networkinterfaces.plist)

1. Download the official Intel 10.4.5 update from Apple (98MB) (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/mac...45forintel.html)
  2. Backup your /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext
  3. Extract the IO80211Family.kext from the 10.4.5 update (using pacifist?)
  4. open finder to /System/Library/Extensions
  5. drag the kext from 10.4.5 update into the /System/Library/Extensions folder
  6. enter passsword when prompted
  7. open the disk utility (/Application/Utilities/Disk Utility), then repair permissions on your Startup volume (may take a little while)
  8. open up terminal, and switch to root (enter sudo -s, enter your user password)

cd /System/Library/Extensions
chmod -R 755 IO80211family.kext
chown -R root:wheel IO80211family.kext

then list the contents

ls -l

make sure the IO80211Family line looks like this:

drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102 Feb  2  2006 IO80211Family.kext

check that the permissions propagated to subdirectories:

cd IO80211Family.kext/contents/plugins
ls -l

should look like this:

total 0
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102 Feb  2  2006 AirPortAtheros5424.kext
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102 Feb  2  2006 AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext

then test that the extensions works:

kextload AirPortAtheros5424.kext

should give a extension loaded successfully message

then you have to go to System Preferences>Network

a message should pop up telling you you have a new AirPort. from the Show: box, pick AirPort. you can set the options here, i suggest you check the Show airport status in menu bar, make sure you click apply now.

There you have it, fully working native Atheros card! :D

Hi all.. ive got a problem.. im running Mac OS X 10.6.4 on my Asus K50ID. My Specs are:

Intel Core2Duo T6670 2,2GHz

Nvidia GT320M CUDA 1GB

HDD 500GB

4GB DDR3 1066MHz

Wireless Atheros Comunications 168c:002b

Ive followed your instructions and i get this error at the end

failed to load - (libkern/kext) dependency resolution failure; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

I need this wireless working quickly because im at high college and i need mac os running like charm to study

please help

• 4 weeks later...
***D-LINK DWL-G510, THIS REVISION HAS THE ATHEROS AR2413 CHIPSET also known as ATHEROS 5005G***

D-link DWL-G510 works by default out-of-the-box in 10.6.0

D-link DWL-G510 loses support 10.6.1 and 10.6.2

D-link DWL-G510 loses support Airport update 10.6.2 which brings IO80211Family.kext to v3.1

Only one file edited which is IO80211Family.kext.

IO80211Family.kext > Contents > Plugins > AirPortAtheros21.kext > Contents > Info.plist
Change pci168c,2a to pci168c,1a(pci168c,1a is the correct address for the D-link card.)

In 10.6.0 and 10.6.1 and early version of 10.6.2 IO80211Family.kext used to use a plugin called AirPortAtheros.kext now they have left that alone they still have support for some cards but not the one i'm trying to get working and now have moved over to AirPortAtheros21.kext which i edited with my correct cards ID.

Hope you enjoy this kext i edited.

[url="http://www.mediafire.com/?5wkengr2gvn"]http://www.mediafire.com/?5wkengr2gvn[/url]

Please let me know if it works.

WORKS 32BIT AND 64BIT, Latest Airport Update of 10.6.2

Got it working with snow leopard 64-bit. Had to put io80211family.kext in S/L/E instead of extras. Didn't need the other kext. Thanks!

Ok, here are the steps to getting the AR5BXB6 Atheros wireless card working in OS X 10.5.2, kalyway DVD.

Step 1:

sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirportAtheros.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Step 2:

add in your string mine was :<string>pci168c,1014</string>, i just added it to the top of the list

<array>

<string>pci168c,1014</string> <------- this is where i added the string above all the other ones.

<string>pci106b,0086</string>

<string>pci168c,1c</string>

<string>pci168c,23</string>

<string>pci168c,24</string>

</array>

Step: 3

After you add your string hit CNTL-O so save then CNTL-X to close.

Step 4:

Go to the disk utility and repair disk permissions, then reboot. After you reboot, go to the Control Panel and go into the Network, it will come up and say new network adapter or something like that found. but for my setup, the airport card was turned off, it would not let me turn it on by clicking the button.

Step 5:

Go to the preferences for the airport card and enter your wireless network manually, save and close that window, close out of the network window, when i closed out of that stuff the airport card turned on by itself and connected to my network, thus after i can see any network and connect to any network, the card even works in kisMAC.

Hope this helps.

I case you dont want to go to the hassel of editing it your self i will attach my IO802llFamily.kext to this post, but you still will have to edit the kext file anyways.

kg6uyz

I am assuming the kext was from the 10.5.1 install, if it was not found on the 10.5.2 update.

Hey,

Im assuming that by "CNTL-O" you mean CTRL-O?

Thanks,

SpikezHackz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I got my TP-Link Card with AR5005G-Chipset to show up as Airport-Device in OSX NetworkManager, but unfortunately, I don't get it working.

It is turned off and when I click on Activate Airport, the first time I'm asked for my password, but besides this, there's no other reaction.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Edit:

Well I used an old NetworkInterfaces.plist I downloaded along with a very old tutorial for this problem (which isn't working anymore) and it seems it had a wrong entry for the card.

I deleted it and now it doesn't come back.

Anyone knows how to get it back? (Or how to add an AirPort-Entry to the Networkmanager)?

Edit2:

Ok, seems my card isn't detected at all.

Does anyone have a working solution for 10.6?

I tried it with editing the AirPortAtheros.kext and with the AirPortAtheros21.kext with no success

Edit3: Ok, I finally got it, WPA2 is working, everything is fine:

I replaced the product id in the AirPortAtheros21.kext with the one of my card (product id are the chars after the pci168c,[here])

then I downloaded the AtherosFix.kext from netkas.org, also replaced all the product ids with mine, placed it in the s/l/e folder and voilá, it works ;)

• 4 weeks later...

My WNC-0300 gets recognized, by adding <string>pci168c,0013</string> to the AirportAtheros5424.kext, but my problem is that i cannot enable my airport.(system prefs always says disabled) If i look in the menubar it shows this icon. HT3821_9.png

On the apple support website it says : "AirPort has detected a problem with the driver or a necessary sub-system component, apply the latest manual AirPort software update or reinstall Mac OS X. If reinstalling Mac OS X does not correct the problem, take your computer to an authorized Apple service center."

I don't know what to do, i tried everything.

If i look in the system profiler my wifi card is called Ethernet-controller (i think this is the problem, but i don't know how to solve it)

Any help would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got my AR5005 working in Snow Leopard 10.6.5 using the vanilla IO80211Family kext, haven't tested WPA/2 as I am using WEP on router.

To accomplish this, I did the following;

1) Made a copy of the IO80211Family.kext to the desktop, so I was ready to edit it

2) Removed my id from the plist located at in the AirPortAtheros.kext (sans the number 21): IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros.kext/Contents/info.plist

3) Added my id to the 'new' AirPortAtheros21.kext's plist, located here: IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros21.kext/Contents/info.plist

4) Rebooted after reinstalling the new edited kext, enable airport in the system preferences (required clicking apply to turn on airport). And thats it ;]

So if anybody wants my 10.6.5 kext, which will only work for AR5005 with the id: 168c:0013, you can grab it from the attachments:

IO80211Family.kext.zip

• 2 weeks later...
I finally got my AR5005 working in Snow Leopard 10.6.5 using the vanilla IO80211Family kext, haven't tested WPA/2 as I am using WEP on router.

To accomplish this, I did the following;

1) Made a copy of the IO80211Family.kext to the desktop, so I was ready to edit it

2) Removed my id from the plist located at in the AirPortAtheros.kext (sans the number 21): IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros.kext/Contents/info.plist

3) Added my id to the 'new' AirPortAtheros21.kext's plist, located here: IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros21.kext/Contents/info.plist

4) Rebooted after reinstalling the new edited kext, enable airport in the system preferences (required clicking apply to turn on airport). And thats it ;]

So if anybody wants my 10.6.5 kext, which will only work for AR5005 with the id: 168c:0013, you can grab it from the attachments:

IO80211Family.kext.zip

I've been trying to get my wireless working for a couple of months now, with no success what so ever.

I can't even get the card recognized (though it works just fine in Linux and Windows).

According to most applications, the ID is pci168c:001a, though adding pci168c,1a to the Atheros21's Info.plist doesn't do me any good, keep getting the damn "Hal status 3" error about not being able to attach the device.

What options do I have in debugging this?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Didanix, try this kext for your ar5005:

http://www.mediafire.com/?iuorunpl0rtofs2

Post back if this kext works or not, if not you could try rebranding your card to one of the ids in the Atheros21's info.plist, which I am going to try with my card soon, so that future updates won't require us to reinstall another kext.

Btw, sorry for the late reply.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi,

I have an 168C, 001A, 168C, 2052, Qualcomm Atheros, AR2413/AR2414 Wireless Network Adapter [AR5005G(S) 802.11bg] card 

I tried the AirportAtheros21.kext but wifi was installed but cannot connect to anything 

Then i Tried the  AirportAtheros40.kext and it is loading even with my device id and vendor id 

but OS X doesn't recognise it also dpciManager sees it and when i press the look thru glas on the left i get sound indicating it has no suggestions

Can somebody help me out 

Oh i am on Yosemite 10.10.4