My build won't recognize or mount USB e2external HDDs

theosteve

27 posts in this topic

Hello. I'm a long-time Mac user. I have some minor experience with upgrading my Macs (PCI cards, new drives, RAM), but none in building a new computer, nor any meaningful experience with CLI or coding more than HTML and CSS. I wanted to build my own Mac/Hack because I wanted something more expandable and customizable than the current options from Apple, and because I wanted to learn a little more about the technical side of things. After watching a number of videos and reading a great deal on another site (at the only time, the only one I knew of dealing with Hackintoshes), I decided this seemed within my capabilities.

I built a computer with the components recommended on that site's "budget ATX" listing:

• Intel 3.7ghz core i3-6100 processor
  • gigabyte LGA 1151 Z170 HD3 motherboard
  • Samsung 850 evo 250gb ssd
  • seagate barracuda 1tb hhd
  • corsair cs 550 watt psu

I chose to forgo a graphics card for now, and used a Phanteks Eclipse P400 case (for whatever difference that makes).

I assembled the computer and exactly followed the installation instructions on the other site. After some minor fiddling with config files, I got the Mac working fine.

Until I tried to mount my external HDD to migrate data from my old Mac. The new computer failed to mount it or even see it. Same with my other external HDDs I tried (all Seagate or Western Digital drives, HFS+ formatted).

When I asked on this other site, I was pointed to another page where I needed to "write a custom SSDT," and the instructions left my head swimming. That looks very much beyond my expertise (I'll post the link if I get permission, but I understand that the other site is not to be discussed or linked to on this site). I'm feeling frustrated, because if I had been lead to believe that such a level of technical work was necessary, I would not have made this attempt. A few minor config adjustments, I was okay with, but this appears to be far more than that.

Someone today told me about InsanelyMac, so I thought I'd check it out. Is there any easier solutions for this at this point? Barring that, If I start the installation process from scratch with instructions from InsanelyMac, am I likely to avoid the problem?

Thanks for any advice. If I can't get this worked out soon, I'm going to have to resort to letting my friend help me install Linux, and I would prefer not to go there :)

• Like 1

-Post ur full Clover folder with original tables, press F4 in Clover Boot Screen, files generate in Clover/Acpi/origin

-Post Ioreg, extract with Ioreg Explorer

-Run it, post files generate in ur desktop

Thanks for your response, MaLd0n. I'm not sure I understand. I apologize; I'm very new to the technical side of computers.

I restarted the computer, and pressed F4 when I got to the Clover boot screen (with the Clover icon and the options to choose your boot disk, correct?). I saw nothing happen. I selected my internal system drive, and continued the startup process.

I found the Clover folder along a path starting in the "EFI-backups" on my system drive. However, there was nothing in the origin folder, so I presume I did something incorrect?

I downloaded the two apps. I'm not sure exactly what you mean I need to extract with Ioreg Explorer. I opened it but don't see anything about extracting. Again, sorry, I'm new to this sort of thing.

The other app generated a file, which I've attached.

Send me Derek’s iMac.zip

• Like 1

Thanks for your response, MaLd0n. I'm not sure I understand. I apologize; I'm very new to the technical side of computers.

I restarted the computer, and pressed F4 when I got to the Clover boot screen (with the Clover icon and the options to choose your boot disk, correct?). I saw nothing happen. I selected my internal system drive, and continued the startup process.

I found the Clover folder along a path starting in the "EFI-backups" on my system drive. However, there was nothing in the origin folder, so I presume I did something incorrect?

I downloaded the two apps. I'm not sure exactly what you mean I need to extract with Ioreg Explorer. I opened it but don't see anything about extracting. Again, sorry, I'm new to this sort of thing.

The other app generated a file, which I've attached.

Once you press f4 at clover bootscreen and then continue to load mac you need to mount your internal hdd EFI folder to gain access to your origin folder.

EFI can be mounted with clover configurator.

Once you open ioreg click file then save a copy as....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

MaLd0n, I don't have a GPU. Because I don't do any gaming, nor plan on any high level graphics work for the time being, I declined to get a graphics card for now.

Thanks for the clarification on mounting the EFI and the extraction, SavageAUS. I tried to attach the ioreg extracted file, but I get an error message "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file"

So I have now been able to mount the EFI and found the Clover>ACPI>Origin folders. Sorry, I'm still a bit unclear what I need to do from there. Upload the 52 files in the Origin folder? Or did the F4 at the boot screen create one file of the Clover folder?

• Like 1

Thanks for the files, cyberdevs. I backed up my boot clover folder, then replaced the config.plist and added the kexts in the "other" folder as you suggested. I restarted the computer. It still appears that the computer is not recognizing my USB external HDDs. Did I do something wrong?

• Like 1

Thanks, MaLd0n. I tried replacing my Clover folder with the one you posted and restarted, but still no mounting my external drive.

Ever since I made the changes Cyberdevs suggested, when I open Clover Configurator (Vibrant version, in case that matters), it immediately gives me the warning "I can't find a config file. Do you want mount EFI partition?" Is that significant? I do mount the EFI from the computer's boot drive, and it does contain the config.plist.

Is there some specific procedure for replacing files in the EFI (aside from simply copying and pasting it in to replace the prior Clover folder) that I'm not following?

If my Clover folder is very old, would it perhaps be best to redo the installation process over with the files and instructions from InsanelyMac? the installation files and apps I used were the most recent from the other website, but perhaps they aren't as up-to-date.

• Like 1

Thanks, MaLd0n. I tried replacing my Clover folder with the one you posted and restarted, but still no mounting my external drive.

Ever since I made the changes Cyberdevs suggested, when I open Clover Configurator (Vibrant version, in case that matters), it immediately gives me the warning "I can't find a config file. Do you want mount EFI partition?" Is that significant? I do mount the EFI from the computer's boot drive, and it does contain the config.plist.

Is there some specific procedure for replacing files in the EFI (aside from simply copying and pasting it in to replace the prior Clover folder) that I'm not following?

If my Clover folder is very old, would it perhaps be best to redo the installation process over with the files and instructions from InsanelyMac? the installation files and apps I used were the most recent from the other website, but perhaps they aren't as up-to-date.

The error occurs because when you open clover configurator, the EFI partition is not mounted by default, you can simply clicking the check box in the warning window and it won't show you the warning again. When you open CCV (Clover Configurator- Vibrant) you'll see a notification on the top right side of the desktop, click it and click "Do not show this message again".

When you need to work on EFI partition all you have to do is to select "Mount EFI" form tools in CCV and then mount the EFI partition of the drive you need to make the adjustment.

Update:

go to your BIOS check the following: In Peripherals, USB Configuration, XHCI Hand-off = Enabled

Thanks for the info, Cyberdev. I didn't notice it when I used CCV before those changes, but perhaps I wasn't paying close enough attention.

I tried to start the process to to a fresh reinstall as you suggested, MaLd0n, but I've run into a problem already. I erased a USB flash drive to use for the installer. I downloaded Flash Drive maker from your link, opened it, dragged the USB flash drive icon onto the terminal window as prompted, then dragged on the macOS Sierra installer when prompted. It seems that didn't work. I got the attached message on the terminal. I checked in the Finder, and confirmed that there was nothing on the flash drive. Any idea what is going wrong?

post-2102832-0-23608100-1495390288_thumb.png

Well, copying the Install macOS Sierra app to the desktop did the trick, and I seemed to be able to create the bootable flash drive. The Terminal went through the rest of the process as shown on the video, anyway, and the files were now on the flash drive. I installed the Clover UEFI on the flash drive with the settings from your screenshot, and replaced the Clover folder with your version.

Unfortunately, every time I try booting from the flash drive, it seems to freeze up just before the progress bar reaches the end. No more movement, just an interminable spinning beach ball.

Thanks to everyone who has tried to help me with this. For the time being, I'm going to install Linux. I obviously need to learn more about getting "under the hood" with computers before I can really effectively make a Hackintosh work. I'll try again in the future sometime, but I'm very grateful for your patience and kindness in working with me on this.

• Like 2