iMovie and iDVD ?

Chris Kim

20 posts in this topic

Hi all, I'm really eager to try out OSx86 on my AMD64 3000+ system, because I have some movies that I want to edit and burn to dvd... I have a 40gb iMovie project on my iBook g4, but I dont have a super drive on it. I mainly work with the project on a powermac g5 at a campus computer lab, while connecting my ibook in targeted disk mode.

Aaaaanyway.

I heard that Mac os (with the proper tweaks) screams on PC systems, and I'm pretty sure (can someone confirm?) that my AMD Athlon64 3000+ CPU supports SS3. I would bet that running OSx and iMovie and iDVD would make my video editing life ALOT easier with this speed. Does anyone know if the iLife suite runs ok on the 10.4.1 build? (I have the iLife DVD for the mac). Any help/feedback is appreciated!

iMovie is running fine (although by far not as fast as on the G5 with 2x2 GHz at work).

But as far as I know, iDVD is heavly Altivec-optimized - so no chance for Rosetta.

Wich means: iDVD won't work at all.

Even the DVD-Player doesn't work.

Nonetheless you'd be able to do your project in iMovie and use Toast to burn it on a DVD. ;)

But since iMovie is still a PPC-App and not a universal binary don't expect mind-blowing performance. :)

For question no. 1:

DV, DVD and (XS)VCD on a Macintosh memo and cookbook

Relating to question no.2:

"1. The DVD Capacity meter shows you how much space in gigabytes (GBs), is being used by your DVD project. If you click on the text to the right of the capacity meter the figure will change to display the run time in minutes for your project. This is critical information. If you want to encode your DVD at best quality, iDVD requires that the total time is less than 60 minutes. DVDs that run longer than 60 minutes will be encoded at lesser quality. The fact that iDVD produced DVDs have a maximum run time of 2 hours means that you have to know how long your DVD project is to prevent going over this limit. Additionally, if you want to save time by using the 'Enable background encoding' feature, you will have to keep your project to under 60 minutes."

Authoring with iDVD5

Google is your friend. :)

• 2 weeks later...
For question no. 1:

DV, DVD and (XS)VCD on a Macintosh memo and cookbook

Relating to question no.2:

"1. The DVD Capacity meter shows you how much space in gigabytes (GBs), is being used by your DVD project. If you click on the text to the right of the capacity meter the figure will change to display the run time in minutes for your project. This is critical information. If you want to encode your DVD at best quality, iDVD requires that the total time is less than 60 minutes. DVDs that run longer than 60 minutes will be encoded at lesser quality. The fact that iDVD produced DVDs have a maximum run time of 2 hours means that you have to know how long your DVD project is to prevent going over this limit. Additionally, if you want to save time by using the 'Enable background encoding' feature, you will have to keep your project to under 60 minutes."

Authoring with iDVD5

Google is your friend. :)

Try a patch from iDVD 4 burn enabler.dmg its available on limewire I got iDVD up and running but killed it installing themes

I bought a firewire card pci. It's work cause if i connect an external HD, it works very well. Unfortunately, i tried to connect a DV VideoCam (JVC grd-239), and it HANG the whole system!!

Has anyone tried a solution, for this?

commercial dvd playback in osx 86 no need for Idvd :huh:

I think they are talki ng about iMovie and iDVD which are DV and DV creation programs AFAIK.

I am also curious as to anyone successfully using the firewire port to work and editing DV on the OSX86. These are not x86 ports so I would think the performance would suffer.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is what I have done to get iDVD to run. First, copy all the hidden Installer folders for iDVD from the dvd (or dmg) to the desktop. Go into the contents/resources of each package and remove, if present, the following files: InstallatioCheck and/or VolumeCheck. Once done with this, install. Aftewards, I went into applications, right clicked on the iDVD icon, went down to plug-ins and checked off he option for wireless. After this, iDVD was up and running. I am using Intel 915GL board, Celleron 330 2.66g, Hope it works for others out there.

I was able to get iDVD to run by copying the Hurz and Pfurz files from the Patchburn installer. Before that is said that iDVD could not run on my hardware.

This is on a msi neo 945g, CG, QE.

But once in iDVD, I get the theme bar to the left OK but the space on the right is dark black with no themes ever appearing it it.

So Iremoved the /Library/Receipts files and the Application Support Files and the prefs....then reinstalled using the above technique...

Unfortunately, its the same results. The log shows:

2005-11-15 16:20:45.924 iDVD[440] OxygeneLayer: Stack creation failed: No video output control API

any ideas?

In the FWIW category...

I have a Pioneer 106 DVD writer, and I put in the iDVD patch.

It starts up, it imports video, it lets me edit etc...

But it won't burn.

It simply shuts down when it is time to burn a disk or image.

From what I have seen however of iDVD...I am not impressed, limited capability to import video, non intuitive interface etc...if you have DV then it is probably ok...but limited anywhere else.

Here is what I have done to get iDVD to run. First, copy all the hidden Installer folders for iDVD from the dvd (or dmg) to the desktop. Go into the contents/resources of each package and remove, if present, the following files: InstallatioCheck and/or VolumeCheck. Once done with this, install. Aftewards, I went into applications, right clicked on the iDVD icon, went down to plug-ins and checked off he option for wireless. After this, iDVD was up and running. I am using Intel 915GL board, Celleron 330 2.66g, Hope it works for others out there.

Were you able to burn into a disc image?

Running iMovie and iDVD on a Mactel desktop is what I really want. I no longer want to punish my iBook for 6 straight hours making the DVD image. If this works perfectly on a Mactel, I'll start out making my own OSX86 machine :(

I've been playing around a bit more with iDVD and silly me, there seems to be a slightly easier way to get it running than I had previously suggested. I had installed iLife '05 and the only glitch seems to have been with iDVD. So my easier solution? Install PatchBurn4, http://www.patchburn.de/download.html Then, just to make sure I was up to date, I installed the 10.4.3 update, but I am not sure if I needed to do this step but I like to stay current. Finally, I went iinto Applications, right clicked on the iDVD icon to "Get Info"; there, under plug-ins, the last one, regarding wiereless, I simply unchecked it, closed the window and powered up my now fully working iDVD. Easy peasy, lemon squeasy.

Edited for torrent link

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I have m*zar 10.4.5 installed on an IBM X31 thinkpad.

I don't have QE or CI, but have hacked ATI driver to allow OpenGL.

iLife '06 installs ok.

I have enabled Rosetta & can start them.

iMovie seems to start ok.

But iDVD crashes when loading themes.

What can be done - is there any way to run iDVD on this system? Would an older iDVD work better?

Is there any way to edit DVD's other than iDVD?

Many Thanks.

Hello. I have problems with iMovie (iLife.06.iMovie.HD.mpkg.zip, 152 MB).

When i try start application, it hangs on "loading saved thumbailns".

This window stay open, and (however some functions are working - i can make new project, name it, and save, can enter into preferences etc) - but cannot make nothing else.

I have 10.4.3 on D915GEVL mobo (everything work fine) and Celeron D.

I reallny dont know - what problem can be ?

Please, help.

Piotr.

• 3 months later...

In my case graphic adapter works fine (qe/ci enabled) but idvd is slow like ....

Now encoding one DVD (40 minutes long) for about 20 hours and it still have few minutes to finish.

I believe it is because of kind of emulation - maybe SSE3 emulation or what (I have only SSE2 processor).

If there is anybody who knows what to do with that or how to check - please let me know.