Lenovo T460 macOS with Clover Guide
- Release v2017.09.19 on GitHub
- Updated to Clover r4212
- Updated Lilu and AppleALC kexts to v1.2 (for Sierra and High Sierra)
- Updated USBInjectAll kext
Various Tweaks over Last months
- Release v2017.09.02 on GitHub
- Updated to Clover r4187
- Updated AppleALC and Lilu kext
- Updated VoodooPS2Controller kext
- Updated ACPIBatteryManager kext
- Updated misc scripts for 10.13
- Release v2017.08.06 on GitHub
- Updated to Clover r4144
- Updated Theme for High Sierra
- Update install_nvram_save script in Utility folder
- Release v2017.07.31 on GitHub
- Updated to Clover r4129
- Updated Theme for High Sierra
- Updated Lilu and AppleALC for High Sierra
- Release v2017.05.28 on GitHub
- Updated to Clover r4078
- Updated SSDT-XHC for Sierra method for USB power and current
- Updates on misc scripts for esp mount and esp cleanup
- Release v2017.05.24 on GitHub
- Updated to Clover r4077
- Updated AppleALC and Lilu (1.1.2b) - revised patching to use the RehabMan's patch frame buffer method vs patch assertion for DVMT 32MB
- Release v2017.05.17 on GitHub
Updated to Clover r4076
Updated BrcmPatchRAM2.kext - increase sleep times for better BT recovery after wakeup from sleep
Config.plist - remove GFX properties - let Clover inject them
- Release v2017.05.11 on GitHub:
- Files are posted to GitHub
- Updated to Clover r4070 - revised NVRAM script (1.16.5) + GFX fixes
- Updated IntelMausiEthernet.kext Info.plist to enable TSO
- Updated VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext Info.plist for TrackPad changed bogus move threshold = 100
- Release v2017.04.25 on GitHub:
- Updated to Clover 4063
- Updated AppleALC (1.1.2a) - this kext does all the patching of SKLGraphicsFramebuffer and AppleHDA kexts - no GFX FakeID needed anymore
- Updated Lilu.kext (1.1.0)
- Added config.patchSKL.plist and config.noSKL.plist (to patch SKL FB and AppleHDA via Clover - the old way)
- Converted the .bash scripts to .command script to be runnable from Finder
- Added extra tools and scripts in the Utilities folder - patchmatic, iasl, skylakeFB patch/unpatch scripts
- Cleaned up stuff for GitHub
- Tweaks for config.plist
- Updated FakeSMC.kext and HWMonitor pkg - see Utilities folder for full installation tool.
- Updated VoodooPS2Trackpad kext Info.plist - setting to ignore larger bogus jumps.
- re-added SSDT-CPU for HWP feature
- Updated "NVRAM save scripts" with installation script to use a LogoutHook for the launch method.
- Added RehabMan's AppleBacklightInjector method for Backlight for 10.12.4 and removed IntelBackLight.kext from Other (now an optional kext)
- Changed to model MacbookPro13,1 for HWP support with syscl's X86Platform injector and SSDT in support of HWP
- Switched Audio to use AppleALC.kext instead of AppleHDA_ALC293/CodecCommander
- Added revised rc.boot and rc.shutdown scripts by syscl/tluck that seem to save nvram.plist to ESP more reliably.
- Updated Audio - added LineOut for Dock and ambient noise for external Mic input. - reduced Boost levels - thanks to syscl who figured HDMI out.
- Updated CodecCommander - seems to help after wake.
- USB - updated SSDT-XHC-T460 - added internal HS09 device for fingerprint reader
- Added EDID patch scripts to force RGB mode in Utilities directory - gets rid of menu color glitches
- Updated sleepwatcher scripts to deal with ethernet and wifi on sleep/wakeRevised VoodooPS2Controller kext - based on Jakibaki's work for middle button cut/paste + TrackPoint Scroll.
- Changed layout id for Audio to 28 - for AppleALC implementation
- Updated VoodooPS2Controller.kext
-- TrackPoint scroll with cut/paste
-- adding T560 support by barrrrt
-- which include Belyaev's Sierra TrackPad preference pane mods
-- cap locks fix
The zip file is a complete Clover ESP (/EFI) bundle and kext pack for the Lenovo T460. The current file bundle is tested on Sierra.
Note: I never got the GFX fully working on El Capitan.
- Full Clover file set - config.plist etc.
- Includes all custom kexts
- Includes custom DSDT/SSDT scripts and patches
- Utility scripts
The zip bundles are posted to GitHub: https://github.com/tluck/Lenovo-T460-Clover/releases
Caveat: My system is a T460 with i5-6300U, Intel HD Graphics 520, 1920x1080 touch screen. If you have a different system model, then extract the ACPI files and use the included scripts to create a set of files consistent with your system type and BIOS version. See below for details.
Credits: RehabMan, Shmilee, vusun123, TimeWalker, Mieze from which, much of their work and help is/was was used to get the T460 to this point.
Devices and aspects working:
- Ethernet - Intel I219LM is enabled via IntelMausiEthernext.kext
- WiFi/BT - substitute the Intel WiFi/BT with a compatible Broadcom or Atheros chip
- Audio - ALC293 codec implemented via AppleALC.kext (old AppleHDA_ALC293 and CodecCommander kexts are not needed)
- PS2 - ClickPad + TrackPoint + all 3 buttons - using a modified VoodooPS2Controller to support new layouts - and added some custom Fn key maps based on 440/450 dsdt
- USB - implemented via custom SSDT + USBInjectAll kext. All USB3/USB2 ports are intel-based and work - 3 external USB and internal Camera, BT, etc
- Sleep/Wake - the sleepwatcher package and custom sleep/wake scripts are used to help with sleep/wake for BT and PS2 devices.
Note: have not tried to implement the SD card reader - no driver found.
If you have a T460, the ACPI files in zip should just "work" - at least to get the macOS installed. But in general it is best to make your own custom DSDT based on your system BIOS. The ACPI (DSDT/SSDT) modifications are handled by combination of Clover on-the-fly patches, custom/direct patches to DSDT and the "hot-patch" method. Here are the key files:
- DSDT- patched DSDT with included scripts.
ssdt - (not included) and can be created for your CPU - will define C/P states via Pike's script ssdtPRGen.sh SSDT-CPU - generic - for HWP support - (no longer needed) Clover 4016+ will generate SSDT with HWPEnabled and PStates true
- SSDT-ARPT-T460 - Airport for Broadcom 4360 (if added)
- SSDT-HACK-T460 - add misc functions for DSDT
- SSDT-HDEF-T460 - fix/define Audio for ALC293 codec with layout ID 28 - linked to AppleALC.kext (or optional AppleHDA_ALC293.kext)
- SSDT-IGPU-T460 - fix/define GFX for Intel HD 520 device 1916 (not really needed - since we inject graphics via clover as 4063)
- SSDT-LPC-T460 - add/fix/define LPC device
- SSDT-PNLF-T460 - add LCD/Panel
- SSDT-PS2K-T460 - fix/define/add T460 defines keyboard and ClickPad/TrackPoint - linked to VoodooPS2Controller.kext
- SSDT-SMBUS-T460 - add/fix/define SMBUS device
- SDT-XHC-T460 - fix/define/add internal and external USB ports by custom UIAC device - linked to USBInjectAll.kext
- SSDT-XOSI - generic - to set OS type
The (sample) custom DSDT in the zip is extracted from a T460 on BIOS v1.22.
In the DSDT.T460 directory, there are the samples and scripts to create your own custom DSDT. The DSDT in the zip may work but its best to just match your system. The create_patch_DSDT.bash script will create a patched DSDT starting from the original ACPI files located the ACPI-Tables folder. The final DSDT is patched via patchmatic using the files in patch-files folder. Follow these steps:
- Download and expand (extract) the contents from the Latest Release (zip file).
- Copy the Utilities files into /usr/local/bin The key files needed here are patchmatic, iasl, and espmount.bash
Note: I assume the directory /usr/local/bin exists and is in your environment variable PATH
cd ~/Downloads/Lenovo-T460-Clover-YYYY.MM.DD/Utilities/ sudo ./install_tools.command
- Extract ACPI files.
Start by extracting your original ACPI files by hitting F4 after you boot up with Clover. It will save the files to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/origin. Note: this origin folder needs to exist.
- Copy the newly created ACPI files from the HD ESP to your working folder
Copy the original .aml files from the origin directory - just the ones with names starting with DSDT and SSDT - from the ESP to a directory called DSDT.T460/ACPI-Tables ( which is part of the expanded zip file).
Note: To mount the main system ESP, run this command which was installed with the tools in step 1.
- Create your own patched DSDT.
Using the original copied to the ACPI-Tables directory as the source, create a custom patched DSDT.dsl by:
cd ~/Downloads/Lenovo-T460-Clover-YYYY.MM.DD/DSDT.T460 ./create_patched_DSDT.command
- Install the new custom ACPI files into the ESP
Now there is a new custom DSDT.dsl along with some other .dsl files in this same directory as the result of the patching script. To compile and install this newly create patched DSDT.dsl along with the other SSDT*.dsl files into the ESP, run this script below. It will mount the system disk partition disk0s1 (the ESP) on /Volumes/ESP, compile all the *.dsl files, and then copy them all to /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched location
New Installation - Steps and Details
- Update to latest BIOS
- Use Defaults settings, but check these items:
- Set Security / Memory Protection / Execution Prevention = Enabled
- Disable Secure Boot
GPT = GUID Partition Table
MBR = Master Boot Record
ESP = EFI System Partition
The ESP is created automatically as the first (hidden) partition by the Disk Utility when the GPT option is selected for partitioning a disk.
Part 1 - OS Installation
This procedure is for a new macOS installation using a USB Installer. If you are upgrading from an older working version of OS X (say El Capitan) already on your HD, skip down to Part 2, Step 3 to update your ESP. You must replace or merge in the changes from the EFI/CLOVER files to your HD ESP before you perform the upgrade.
- Download and expand (extract) the zip file contents from the GitHub Lenovo T460 Clover Latest Release.
This same file set will be installed on the USB and the HD for UEFI boot.
- Download macOS from the App Store - they are freely available
We build a macOS USB installer with the standard macOS installer app downloaded from the "App Store".
- Install macOS to a GPT formatted disk using the standard Install macOS.app downloaded from the Apple Store.
Create macOS USB installer
- Partition an 8GB (or larger) USB formatted with GUID Partition Table (GPT)
- In Sierra, use the Erase option to change from MBR to GPT/GUID scheme.
- Name the new partition USB. The install process will rename it, but this matches the script below.
- Use format: macOS Extended (Journaled)
Note: if you have a larger USB (say 16GB) you can split into 2 8GB partitions, so you can have 10.12 and 10.11 installers on the same USB key
- Run this command to copy the downloaded bits to the USB key:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app --nointeraction
Put Clover installation on USB
- Install Clover on the USB
a ) Manually mount the ESP of the USB and copy the entire EFI directory.
b ) If not done already, expand the downloaded Zip to ~/Downloads/Lenovo-T460-Clover-YYYY.MM.DD (this set is called the Zip below)
c ) Copy the EFI directory to the ESP directory of the USB
For example, assuming the USB is disk1:
sudo mkdir /Volumes/ESP-USB sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/ESP-USB cp -a ~/Downloads/Lenovo-T460-Clover-YYYY.MM.DD/EFI/ /Volumes/ESP-USB/EFINote: run "diskutil list" on the command line to find your USB and HD disk devices
Dual BOOT tip:
If you plan to dual boot Windows from the same HD - DO NOT make the 2nd partition NTFS or ExFAT with the Disk Utility app.
Make them both macOS Extended (Journaled) to keep a PMBR vs MBR.
Size the 2 partitions appropriately - but later you will delete/reformat the 2nd partition for Windows. I recommend gpt which can make an NTFS partition without converting the PBMR.
- For a T560: Set up the ACPI configuration files to match your model.
go to /Volumes/ESP-USB/EFI/CLOVER
Rename ACPI to ACPI.T460
Rename ACPI.T560 to ACPI
Boot Clover from USB Installer and select Install macOS
- Boot from the USB and install macOS on your GPT disk partition. (Hit F12 to select USB drive)
Make sure the HD/SSD drive is formatted using:
Scheme: GUID Partition Map (GPT),
Partition Name: macOS,
Format: mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Note: *should NOT be needed* but If you get a KP from AppleIntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer, then use the Clover Options Menu and to select the alternate configuration file: config.noSKL.plist. This injects a bogus graphics device ID 0x12345678.
- Click through GUI Install menus and wait for the installation to fully complete - on a spinning disk takes about 30-45 minutes. Follow these Notes and Tips
• When the installer screens shows: "To pair a Bluetooth keyboard, turn it on and wait for your computer to connect to it.”
Hit the Space Bar to get past this step
• When installer seems to hang at: "About a second remaining”
Don’t Panic, this "second" may take about 10 minutes or more to finish.
Just wait for the installer to reboot the computer and continue the installation.
The whole install process takes about 1 hour to complete.
• On the first boot from the HD when asked: "How Do You Connect?”
Select: “My computer does not connect to the Internet”
And set up the network later after installation the NIC driver kext.
Your Intel WiFi will not work. Period.
Part 2- Post OS Installation and Setup
Convert the Logical volume to Physical volume Note: This kext is not needed on the USB installer. b ) Install the kexts Note: macOS may already have configured the ethernet, so this step may be unnecessary but it will not hurt anything either for a fresh installation. Remove the USB and Reboot with Clover from the HD Notes on Custom Kexts All the kexts listed below are contained in the zip file. The origin is listed below if you wish to download them as well. I recommend you use the _kext-install.command script to properly copy all kexts to the /Library/Extensions directory. Also included are the old alternate audio kexts in ALC293 directory: Optional: IntelBacklight.kext (v1.0.10) - RehabMan's kext for smoother/enhanced LCD backlight (dimming) control. In 10.12.4 (or later) this kext does communicate with Brightness keys or System Preferences Display Slider. So remove this kext unless on a version older (less) than 10.12.4 WiFi Replacement These kexts and procedure are used with Broadcom WiFi/B. Replace the Intel WiFi with suitable supported card such as a BCM94352Z (Dell DW1560) with proper M.2 form-factor. To install the SleepWatcher scripts, which will help with WiFi on Sleep/Wake use this process to install the scripts into / of your HD Reboot and check that SleepWatcher is running via "ps -ef | grep sleep". Install these kexts for a Broadcom chip.
Edited by tluck, Yesterday, 06:19 PM.
On startup, hit F12 and select USB - You boot Clover from the USB, but now select the newly installed disk/partition to start macOS.
Note: *should NOT be needed* but if you get a KP from AppleIntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer, then use the Clover Options Menu and select config.noSKL.plist. See step 7 below to fix this problem. AppleALC.kext + Lilu.kext will patch the Graphics Framebuffer to avoid a DVMT check KP.
Note: You may see 3 Volumes instead of the expected 2 on the HD - macOS + Recovery HD - make sure you pick the volume that is NOT labelled Recovery HD. See step 3 below to convert the logical volume which will eliminate the abstraction and confusion.
Note: This will boot up macOS with Clover injecting the custom kexts from the USB (for now).
In Terminal run:
sudo diskutil corestorage revert /
Now the make the HD bootable with Clover. Transfer the Zip file contents to the new HD. Then use a similar process as used for the USB.
Note: I assume the Zip is in ~/Downloads/Lenovo-T460-Clover-YYYY.MM.DD/
a ) NVRAM
Since we are using Clover's EmuVariable method to simulate NVRAM, Clover looks for the file nvram.plist to get its persistent values - which is stored in the ESP now. Install the "root" utilities and clover scripts and files from Utilities folder to your HD. This step is important as it installs the "rc scripts" to save the nvram contents to a file upon reboot.
Important: It will register your system to use a LogoutHook.
b ) ESP
The ESP contents on the HD are now to be made exactly like the ESP used for the USB installer above.
Mount the HD ESP and copy over the EFI items. You can follow the same procedure used for the USB installer.
Note: If you previously installed Windows, be careful to not lose the EFI/Microsoft contents by following the procedure outlined below.
For example, assuming the main drive is disk0:
sudo mkdir /Volumes/ESP
sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/ESP
cp -a ~/Downloads/Lenovo-T460-Clover-YYYY.MM.DD/EFI/ /Volumes/ESP/EFI
c ) Custom DSDT
Using the procedure outlined above in the ACPI Files section, create and replace the custom DSDT in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched
a ) For 10.12.4+: Create a custom AppleBackLightInjector kext
Since this method replaces the IntelBacklight.kext (which is still included as an optional kext) - manually remove that kext if present. Now create a custom Backlight Injector that matches your LCD Panel. The script will update the kext in the ../../EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other directory - which is the unzipped package location. Run this procedure script:
Install the custom kexts from the Zip kexts directory to the /Library/Extensions directory by running:
This step loads the ethernet kext and resets network device order to have ethernet as en0 (seems to help with AppStore and iMessage etc)
Run this set of commands:
sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/IntelMausiEthernet.kext
sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
Note: For this boot session, you may want to
1- in Clover hit F3 to save the ACPI files
2 - in Clover hit the spacebar on your boot volume selection (macOS) to set verbose mode to watch for any issues.
- 2 layout options
- If you have a Docking Station, you can use LayoutID 28 for HDMI, Speaker, Mic, Headphones, ExtMic + extra LineOut for Dock Out
- or optionally use LayoutID 29 to remove the extra LineOut option if it is not wanted.
1. Requires matching SSDT-HDEF with layoutID=28 or 29. The AppleALC kext defines the patches for AppleHDA and AppleIntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer.kex in lieu of Clover. This kext version has extra GFX Framebuffer patching for DVMT KP, brightness levels, as compared to the AppleALC distribution on GitHub.
2. Keep original/unmodified AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E and add the AppleALC.kext and Lilu.kext to /Library/Extensions for full audio support (and critical patching)
- AppleHDA_ALC293.kext (v9278.56) - custom kext adapted from an ALC292.kext and based on 10.12.3 AppleHDA. This kext requires the HDA kext patching via Clover.
- CodecCommander_ALC293.kext - TimeWalker's kext - with ALC293 added - OPTIONAL - used to resolve missing input/outputs or sleep/wake issues.
This version has extra T460/T560 definitions in the Info.plist files.
Re-coded to support 3 real buttons as well ClickPad Right/Left edge click buttons.
- A Custom package is included in the Utilities folder so you can install HWMonitor.app - it just selects these 2 Plugins Sensors: ACPI and CPU.
- Two Custom SMC keys are added to Kozlec's standard FakeSMC - FNum (to find the Fan) and ACID (for AC power and eliminate powerd syslog messages every 30 seconds).
Convert the Logical volume to Physical volumeThe full installer likes to make a logical volume. So for simplicity, I recommend one to revert the root volumes to a regular volume.
Note: This kext is not needed on the USB installer.
b ) Install the kexts
Note: macOS may already have configured the ethernet, so this step may be unnecessary but it will not hurt anything either for a fresh installation.
Remove the USB and Reboot with Clover from the HD
Notes on Custom Kexts
All the kexts listed below are contained in the zip file. The origin is listed below if you wish to download them as well. I recommend you use the _kext-install.command script to properly copy all kexts to the /Library/Extensions directory.
Also included are the old alternate audio kexts in ALC293 directory:
Optional: IntelBacklight.kext (v1.0.10) - RehabMan's kext for smoother/enhanced LCD backlight (dimming) control. In 10.12.4 (or later) this kext does communicate with Brightness keys or System Preferences Display Slider. So remove this kext unless on a version older (less) than 10.12.4
These kexts and procedure are used with Broadcom WiFi/B. Replace the Intel WiFi with suitable supported card such as a BCM94352Z (Dell DW1560) with proper M.2 form-factor. To install the SleepWatcher scripts, which will help with WiFi on Sleep/Wake use this process to install the scripts into / of your HD
Reboot and check that SleepWatcher is running via "ps -ef | grep sleep".
Install these kexts for a Broadcom chip.
Edited by tluck, Yesterday, 06:19 PM.