Clover on AMD X64 Exception Type Error

Shaneee

52 posts in this topic

It happens on El Capitan too. Older AMDs can't boot Sierra yet at all. So Clover doesn't depend on CPU Features?

No, it compiled with no-sse, no-mmx.

Did you use HFSPlus.efi or other third-party drivers? They can contain such instructions.

No, it compiled with no-sse, no-mmx.

Did you use HFSPlus.efi or other third-party drivers? They can contain such instructions.

No didn't add any except the Clover installer default. Tried removing them all but still the same error.

There may be a reason with another interrupt model, another method for switching 16-32-64 bits, another LAPIC, MSR, CPUID.

To catch this one should know what are they. Intel gives us datasheets, what about AMD?

Pretty sure that datasheet contains my CPU. Athlon II X2 215. If there's a way to get the info from the CPU it's self I can do that for you. I'm on Windows just now.

Edit: Does this help? It's from the AMD XNU patches inside cpuid.c

boolean_t IsAmdCPU(void) {
    if (ForceAmdCpu)
        return TRUE;

uint32_t ourcpuid[4];
    do_cpuid(0, ourcpuid);
    if (ourcpuid[ebx] == 0x68747541 &&
        ourcpuid[ecx] == 0x444D4163 &&
        ourcpuid[edx] == 0x69746E65)
        return TRUE;

return FALSE;
};

• 1 month later...

From your image the problem is this http://wiki.osdev.org/Exceptions#Invalid_Opcode. But reading through the code dump at the bottom it seems the problem is actually that the opcode 0F 38 04 is an SSSE3 instruction PMADDUBSW. SSSE3 is not supported by AMD processors older than Bobcat.

EDIT: There is also prefix that starts with 66 (which is what is used here) and optionally followed by another byte specifying the registers before the opcode.

• Like 2

From your image the problem is this http://wiki.osdev.org/Exceptions#Invalid_Opcode. But reading through the code dump at the bottom it seems the problem is actually that the opcode 0F 38 04 is an SSSE3 instruction PMADDUBSW. SSSE3 is not supported by AMD processors older than Bobcat.

EDIT: There is also prefix that starts with 66 (which is what is used here) and optionally followed by another byte specifying the registers before the opcode.

It must be in the kernel opemu then. Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

It must be in the kernel opemu then. Thanks for the info.

If it's the cause of error, is there any possibility to fix it ?

Otherwise no solution for older AMD CPU to boot 10.11.X by Clover.

• 3 months later...

I'd test but I've since updated to FX which didn't have the issue. Only issue I've got is kernel related with Clover I think. Opcode issues after graphics load in verbose. Enoch is fine though. Just me with the issue so I'll sort it at some point.

• 1 month later...

I am having the same issue with a Phenom II X3 720 on an MSI 790GX-G65 mobo.

I just tried Clover_v2.4k_r4173 and saw no change.

Thinking I'll just swap to an Intel system, but if it's supposed to be supported and I can help debug, I'm down with that.

I am having the same issue with a Phenom II X3 720 on an MSI 790GX-G65 mobo.

I just tried Clover_v2.4k_r4173 and saw no change.

Thinking I'll just swap to an Intel system, but if it's supposed to be supported and I can help debug, I'm down with that.

Did you add a AMD kernel? 

Did you add a AMD kernel?

Yeah, this one.

I was originally trying to install Sierra, but given the FUD I found around the forum wrt SSE4a, I decided to try El Capitan instead.

• mas install 1018109117
  • Partitioned 128GB into 20GB (as first partition "USB1") and remainder
  • [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 6.2.0 El Capitan onto 20GB partition
  • cp -f ~/Downloads/el-capitan-amd-kernel-v1-0-0/kernel /Volumes/USB1/System/Library/Kernels/kernel
    rm -rf /Volumes/USB1/System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/
    cp -r ~/Downloads/el-capitan-amd-kernel-v1-0-0/System.kext /Volumes/USB1/System/Library/Extensions/System.kext
  • Clover_v2.4k_r4173.pkg with default installation options onto USB1
  • Booted from USB1 on target machine
  • Clover shows correct revision number 4173
  • Select "Boot Mac OS X from USB" from Clover menu
  • Apple logo appears for a minute or so
  • X64 Exception Type 0000000000000006

• 1 month later...

Yeah, this one.

I was originally trying to install Sierra, but given the FUD I found around the forum wrt SSE4a, I decided to try El Capitan instead.

• mas install 1018109117
  • Partitioned 128GB into 20GB (as first partition "USB1") and remainder
  • [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 6.2.0 El Capitan onto 20GB partition
  • cp -f ~/Downloads/el-capitan-amd-kernel-v1-0-0/kernel /Volumes/USB1/System/Library/Kernels/kernel
    rm -rf /Volumes/USB1/System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/
    cp -r ~/Downloads/el-capitan-amd-kernel-v1-0-0/System.kext /Volumes/USB1/System/Library/Extensions/System.kext
  • Clover_v2.4k_r4173.pkg with default installation options onto USB1
  • Booted from USB1 on target machine
  • Clover shows correct revision number 4173
  • Select "Boot Mac OS X from USB" from Clover menu
  • Apple logo appears for a minute or so
  • X64 Exception Type 0000000000000006

So the Clover works allowing you  to "Select "Boot Mac OS X from USB"". 

Exception appears after that.

Without logs and debugging I can't say something useful.

• 3 months later...

I've heard Clover v3 will be AMD ready. Is that true? I always noticed the AMD kernel by hackers is needed before. Really want to ignore that actions. Thanks.

You still need to replace the kernel for AMD systems but the good news is Clover works now and gives you many boot parameter options.    

You still need to replace the kernel for AMD systems but the good news is Clover works now and gives you many boot parameter options.

Don't understand here. Is it a choose option between replace and good news? Clover works now and do not need replace kernel?

No, before you needed to use Enoch or Chameleon plus the kernel to boot on AMD systems. Now Clover can boot but you still need the kernel.

here is a link for AMD Sierra install.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/324392-ryzen-clover-installation-guide-macos-sierra/?do=findComment&comment=2442188

And High Sierra install.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/325514-amd-high-sierra-kernel-release-and-testing/