VGA on Hackintosh

vha hd4000 hackintosh intel

Best Answer kosakgroove, 16 April 2016 - 12:47 PM

Oh well, here I attach proof of VGA working on my ASUS X550LDV with a ancient Samsung 800x600 VGA TV.

ç

Here goes the ioreg as proof.

I dont know why it works but it does. As a side note I have been trying HDMI audio patches and they havent been working, although I do get HDMI video working.

Who said it couldn't be done? :D

Well, I only tried the "would-be" VGA connector types 1000/0100/0001 on existing connector numbers found in the vanilla Azul frame buffer (0105/0204/0306). I never tried a made-up connector number such as 0602 (or otherwise) for instance.

Agreed, Haswell GPUs do support VGA, just not in OS X as far as I'm concerned. And I never even loaded a Linux OS to check the IOReg when VGA output was used.

I'm sure that far more clever people than me would have found out by now if it were possible. Even if connector numbers that applied to SNB and Capri FB differ in Azul FB.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Biso007

Biso007

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

That's my Display tab

Attached Files

• Attached File  VGA.tiff   76.19KB   34 downloads

Micky1979

Micky1979

I realized that I am lucky

• Retired
  • 4,864 posts

:hysterical:

Bro :worried_anim:, now Hervé need a video with the running PC showing the monitor and the VGA connector, w/o without trimmed frames  :P

Spoiler

Hervé

Hervé

InsanelyMacaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts

Well... when there's no evidence, or when the provided evidence indicates the contrary...

@Biso007, that's not the default built-in picture/icon, it's obviously overwritten in the Mac model files, as some people like to do. If you reverted to the vanilla file, I'm pretty certain you'd get an external screen picture; that's if we go by the data of your posted IOReg, but...

This is what OS X shows for Built-in Display by default if it detects one (registers as "AppleBacklightDisplay" in IOREg under FB@0):

Attached File  Default_Built-in_Display.jpg   17.96KB   9 downloads

A screen registered as "AppleDisplay" under its framebuffer port is shown as an external screen picture in "About this Mac".

Attached File  About#2.jpg   29.45KB   9 downloads Attached File  IOReg_Built-in+External_display.jpg   79.47KB   10 downloads

Biso007

Biso007

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

The evidence is very simple :)

You see that my external display is HP L1908w ... if you refer to its specs you will find it has only one connector which is VGA.

As for the built-in display icon, I only used SMBIOS generator from Clover Configurator.

If you have any propping script or debugging kext plz send it to me to run it and provide you with the output.

kosakgroove

kosakgroove

Unix Shepherd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Interests:The unexpected is the real

Best Answer

Oh well, here I attach proof of VGA working on my ASUS X550LDV with a ancient Samsung 800x600 VGA TV.

Attached File  IMG_20160416_122412284.jpg   68.91KB   12 downloadsç

Attached File  IMG_20160416_122405157.jpg   111.62KB   12 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20160416_122356918.jpg   124.39KB   13 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20160416_122351293.jpg   157.62KB   13 downloads

Here goes the ioreg as proof.

I dont know why it works but it does. As a side note I have been trying HDMI audio patches and they havent been working, although I do get HDMI video working.

Who said it couldn't be done? :D

Attached File  VGA working.zip   536.44KB   47 downloads

Well, I only tried the "would-be" VGA connector types 1000/0100/0001 on existing connector numbers found in the vanilla Azul frame buffer (0105/0204/0306). I never tried a made-up connector number such as 0602 (or otherwise) for instance.

Agreed, Haswell GPUs do support VGA, just not in OS X as far as I'm concerned. And I never even loaded a Linux OS to check the IOReg when VGA output was used.

I'm sure that far more clever people than me would have found out by now if it were possible. Even if connector numbers that applied to SNB and Capri FB differ in Azul FB.

Hervé

Hervé

InsanelyMacaholic

• Members
  • 3,087 posts

Yup, I can see you're using the usual layout id 0a260006 (Azul FB #12) on your HD4400 (id 0a16) faking desktop HD4600 (id 0412) and that your external screen registered at FB@1 with connector-type 0004 0000 (i.e. the default value of the vanilla kext) and port #5. Do you use the standard/vanilla Azul framebuffer kext or a patched one on this Mavericks build?

On the other hand, Biso007's IOReg showed port 6 (and connector-type 0004 0000).

Would you guys also have a discrete GPU on your respective laptops?

I note that you guys both have success with HD4400, whilst I don't with HD4600. Maybe that's where the difference is...

kosakgroove

kosakgroove

Unix Shepherd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
I am using vanilla system kexts, unmodified, except for AppleHDA, i use hdmi 0212 clover patch from rehabman and only hdmi video works, not audio
My Asus X550LDV has intel hd4400 and NVIDIA Geforce 820m disabled with acpi patches.

Hervé

Hervé

InsanelyMacaholic

• Members
  • 3,087 posts

It's off-topic so open up a dedicated thread for your HDMI audio issue. Basically, it needs suitable patched AppleHDA + potential DSDT patch...

kosakgroove

kosakgroove

Unix Shepherd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

But what about the VGA, I think we can claim it works in HD4400 right?

Hervé

Hervé

InsanelyMacaholic

• Members
  • 3,087 posts

It sure appears to work OOB on your system and Biso007's. But what is there to claim? You want to make a general statement?

kosakgroove

kosakgroove

Unix Shepherd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
Haha well yeah, and i would like to be able to help further the community by debugging why it works OOB with mine. Maybe then we can apply the knowledge to similar cards, just like your hd 4600

Enviado desde mi XT1068 mediante Tapatalk

Hervé

Hervé

InsanelyMacaholic

• Members
  • 3,087 posts

Send me your DSDT if you can; I'll try to compare the IGPU device construction to that of my HD4600-based E6440...

kosakgroove

kosakgroove

Unix Shepherd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

HERE GOES MY Clover folder.. I belive IGPU is defined somewhere in SSDT10- 12 and in DSDT as well.

Also attached Drivers I use, plus config plist

Hope it serves a purpose, and if you have any tip for me, I am very open to  any suggestion

Attached File  CLOVER.zip   3.76MB   18 downloads

Biso007

Biso007

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

my laptop G1 has only one integrated GPU ... the model Elitebook 840 G2 has a discrete one.

Hervé

Hervé

InsanelyMacaholic

• Members
  • 3,087 posts

Your DSDT cannot be opened, the file must be corrupt... But I did find IGPU definition in SSDT8.

kosakgroove

kosakgroove

Unix Shepherd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

I tried the copy attached and it worked in all my hacks, could open and edit and convert to dsl

I attach a new one just in case

Attached File  CLOVER.zip   3.77MB   12 downloads

mssmison

mssmison

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Did anyone get anywhere with figuring out why this works? I've come across an HD4000 based device on another forum that claims to have working VGA in el cap as well.\

On my system I'm able to get the VGA monitor detected, but there is no picture on the display.

b0fh

b0fh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

one more 'me too!'

hp zbook broadwell, HD 5500, el cap 10.11.5, VGA out works just fine. that was kind of unexpected :)

mssmison

mssmison

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

one more 'me too!'

hp zbook broadwell, HD 5500, el cap 10.11.5, VGA out works just fine. that was kind of unexpected :)

What are you using to activate it? something in your config or dsdt?

b0fh

b0fh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

What are you using to activate it? something in your config or dsdt?

nothing at all, it just works. i suspect it may not be a 'real' VGA port but some internal hack that clones/converts the signal from displayPort... just speculation of course.

not complaining tough  :)  DP out in this laptop is in a horrid location, rear-right corner interfering BADLY with mouse usage (other ports that side as well like power/ethernet and 2 USB  :( , but oh well at least ethernet and pwr are further to the back. VGA is in the middle of the left side, a perfect location to attach such a cable. It's even surprising that this zbook has the VGA anyway, as it is one of those 'slim' ones that huge connector spreads across the whole height and looks weird  :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vha, hd4000, hackintosh, intel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2017 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy