VGA on Hackintosh

kosakgroove

45 posts in this topic

I guess I 'm able to tell the difference between VGA and DP ports  :P

Anyway, I was surprised too the 1st time I got the VGA output without any patching. 

I thought the VGA port has a DP-VGA converter wired on the motherboard  :D

However, if you need any other info I would be glad to help

The evidence is very simple :)

You see that my external display is HP L1908w ... if you refer to its specs you will find it has only one connector which is VGA.

As for the built-in display icon, I only used SMBIOS generator from Clover Configurator.

If you have any propping script or debugging kext plz send it to me to run it and provide you with the output.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Oh well, here I attach proof of VGA working on my ASUS X550LDV with a ancient Samsung 800x600 VGA TV.

post-1517295-0-24228200-1460810569_thumb.jpgç

post-1517295-0-03711100-1460810566_thumb.jpg

post-1517295-0-30415400-1460810561_thumb.jpg

post-1517295-0-14044900-1460810558_thumb.jpg

Here goes the ioreg as proof.

I dont know why it works but it does. As a side note I have been trying HDMI audio patches and they havent been working, although I do get HDMI video working.

Who said it couldn't be done? :D

VGA working.zip

Well, I only tried the "would-be" VGA connector types 1000/0100/0001 on existing connector numbers found in the vanilla Azul frame buffer (0105/0204/0306). I never tried a made-up connector number such as 0602 (or otherwise) for instance.

Agreed, Haswell GPUs do support VGA, just not in OS X as far as I'm concerned. And I never even loaded a Linux OS to check the IOReg when VGA output was used.

I'm sure that far more clever people than me would have found out by now if it were possible. Even if connector numbers that applied to SNB and Capri FB differ in Azul FB.

I am using vanilla system kexts, unmodified, except for AppleHDA, i use hdmi 0212 clover patch from rehabman and only hdmi video works, not audio

My Asus X550LDV has intel hd4400 and NVIDIA Geforce 820m disabled with acpi patches.

Haha well yeah, and i would like to be able to help further the community by debugging why it works OOB with mine. Maybe then we can apply the knowledge to similar cards, just like your hd 4600

Enviado desde mi XT1068 mediante Tapatalk

HERE GOES MY Clover folder.. I belive IGPU is defined somewhere in SSDT10- 12 and in DSDT as well.

Also attached Drivers I use, plus config plist

Hope it serves a purpose, and if you have any tip for me, I am very open to  any suggestion

CLOVER.zip

• 1 month later...

Did anyone get anywhere with figuring out why this works? I've come across an HD4000 based device on another forum that claims to have working VGA in el cap as well.\

On my system I'm able to get the VGA monitor detected, but there is no picture on the display.

What are you using to activate it? something in your config or dsdt?

nothing at all, it just works. i suspect it may not be a 'real' VGA port but some internal hack that clones/converts the signal from displayPort... just speculation of course.

not complaining tough  :)  DP out in this laptop is in a horrid location, rear-right corner interfering BADLY with mouse usage (other ports that side as well like power/ethernet and 2 USB  :( , but oh well at least ethernet and pwr are further to the back. VGA is in the middle of the left side, a perfect location to attach such a cable. It's even surprising that this zbook has the VGA anyway, as it is one of those 'slim' ones that huge connector spreads across the whole height and looks weird  :)

• 1 year later...

My laptop HP Elitebook 840 has Haswell HD4400 integrated and VGA works fine.

#######.

Yesterday the VGA out of HP Elitebook 840 G1 worked perfect with all extend, mirror, change resolution, screen position after i installed macOS Sierra. But it worked once. I'm 5 hours trying to make it work again and the closer i got was get the laptop screen blinking when i push 'Detect Display' button when the VGA is connected.

Could you please help me get it stable? Its a i5-4310m with Intel 4400 and 1600x900 native res.

Yesterday the VGA out of HP Elitebook 840 G1 worked perfect with all extend, mirror, change resolution, screen position after i installed macOS Sierra. But it worked once. I'm 5 hours trying to make it work again and the closer i got was get the laptop screen blinking when i push 'Detect Display' button when the VGA is connected.

Could you please help me get it stable? Its a i5-4310m with Intel 4400 and 1600x900 native res.

That sounds a bit strange. Do you have Windows on this laptop ? .. if yes and the VGA port works then it's something with your macOS part. If no then something happened to the VGA port itself. I have mine still working with High Sierra now.

• 8 months later...

Let's just clear this up because it appears this thread hasn't been seen to by the people that made the whole 'VGA is unsupported' statement all that time ago: It was T who shall not be named.

Considering the fact that they are quite reliant on ad revenue from actual hardware manufacturers (what do you think Customac guides was charity?), removing VGA as an option essentially ensures that you do not have to support anyone who hasn't got a new screen.... chances are they don't have a new computer either. Cue Custo-recommendation.

VGA WORKS on most setups, sometimes you need to add an NVCAP value that includes an analog output to the plist in order to get it to work. Doesn't seem to matter that NVCAP is for Nvidia cards. What it doesn't seem to work with is multiple displays, VGA+Digital and VGA+VGA.

Unsupported GPUs I have personally got VGA working with on HS: HD530, HD4400, GTX970, GTX560Ti, GTX550Ti, GT240, HD6670, HD6450 (XFX, which is bad for Hacks and needed DSDT edits). The vast majority work first time, but immediately black out on boot if a digital display is connected simultaneously. I believe this is DSDT fixable and relates to connector values, but as already mentioned because there are no VGA macs, we would need ReactOS levels of reverse engineering to do it in any other way than trial and error.