Creative CA0132 (G1.Sniper M3) patch for AppleHDA or VoodooHDA

wern apfel

851 posts in this topic

On 9/13/2018 at 10:58 AM, wern apfel said:

If you took the screenshot wile layout-id 4 was set, something is wrong. You should see 3 internal speaker devices, as in my picture.

Otherwise, if you choose headphones, which is the first device, the switcher should work.

Below, hda-verb and the script.

hda-verb_script.zip

I am back from my business trip. The audio setting was and still is at "4" (see screenshot of my config.plist in CloverConfigurator after a cold start).

I am afraid that I am doing something wrong with the hda-verb, because there is no meaningful output (see screenshot).

The chipio_stream-param.sh did its job. (see the third screenshot).

What shall I do next?

screenshot._config_plist_20180914.png

screenshot_hda-verb_20180914.png

screenshot_chipio_stream_param_sh_20180914.png

Edited by madicineman

The streams are ok. With layout-id 4, the devices should be named as internal speakers, if not, there is likely to be another audio related patch or kext.

Enter this "kextstat | grep -v com.apple" into the terminal, it will show you all non-Apple kexts. 

What's in your ACPI/patched folder?

11 hours ago, wern apfel said:

The streams are ok. With layout-id 4, the devices should be named as internal speakers, if not, there is likely to be another audio related patch or kext.

Enter this "kextstat | grep -v com.apple" into the terminal, it will show you all non-Apple kexts. 

Thank you for the new suggestions!

In "screenshot 1" you can find the output of "kextstat | grep -v com.apple". I know, there´re two ethernet kexts, but I can not find the position of the Atheros kext to delete it. Probably it hides together with the mysterious 2nd audio kext...

The EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched-Folder is empty (screenshot 2) as well as all other ACPI/patched-Subfolders of "/SystemProductName"...

Do you have any further idea, where I should look?

screenshot_terminal_kext_grep_20180917.png

screenshot_ACPI-Folder_20180917.png

I think I found the problem: The tool, which must not be named (but was used by me in the beginning), is storing kexts in /L/E or /S/L/E. So I looked for "Atheros" there and found the missing Ethernet kext to delete and another "AppleALC.kext" too... Do you think I can delete the content of the whole /L/E-folder?

screenshot_L-E-20180917.png

13 hours ago, wern apfel said:

After deleting the AppleALC.kext in /L/E this is the new display of the Apple audio settings:

screenshot_Audio-settings-20180917.png

8 minutes ago, madicineman said:

After deleting the AppleALC.kext in /L/E this is the new display of the Apple audio settings:

screenshot_Audio-settings-20180917.png

With your latest switcher (and after audio reset with your tool) these are the test results with Audio id 4:

Switcher: Speakers; Apple Audio: internal speakers 1 => Output: Squeak

Switcher: Speakers; Apple Audio: internal speakers 2 => Output: Squeak

Switcher: Speakers; Apple Audio: internal speakers 3 => Output: Squeak

Switcher: Speakers; Apple Audio: device with several outputs => Output: Squeak

Switcher: Speakers; Apple Audio: LG Ultrawide => Output: Squeak (from the speakers, not from the LG-audio)

Switcher: Headphones; Apple Audio: internal speakers 1 => Output: Squeak

Switcher: Headphones; Apple Audio: internal speakers 2 => Output: Squeak

Switcher: Headphones; Apple Audio: internal speakers 3 => Output: Squeak

Switcher: Headphones; Apple Audio: device with several outputs => Output: Squeak

Switcher: Headphones; Apple Audio: LG Ultrawide => Output: Squeak (from the speakers, not from the LG-audio)

Switcher: Fake Surround; Apple Audio: internal speakers 1 => Output: Center, Subwoofer, both rear satellites

Switcher: Fake Surround; Apple Audio: internal speakers 2 => Output: silence (headphones back and front too)

Switcher: Fake Surround; Apple Audio: internal speakers 3 => Output: silence (headphones back and front too)

Switcher: Fake Surround; Apple Audio: device with several outputs => Output: Center, Subwoofer, both rear satellites

Switcher: Fake Surround; Apple Audio: LG Ultrawide => Output: correct, without Volume control in Apple Audio settings

Switcher: Microphone front; Apple Audio: device with several outputs => Output: FUNNY! => The Switcher switches back to "Fake Surround" and all satellites + Subwoofer are working!!!

Switcher: Microphone front; Apple Audio: internal speakers 1 => Output: FUNNY! => The Switcher switches back to "Fake Surround" and all satellites + Subwoofer are working!!!

Switcher: Microphone front; Apple Audio: internal speakers 2 => Output: FUNNY! => The Switcher switches back to "Fake Surround" but only silence

Switcher: Microphone front; Apple Audio: internal speakers 3 => Output: FUNNY! => The Switcher switches back to "Fake Surround" but only silence

Switcher: Microphone front; Apple Audio: LG Ultrawide => Output: FUNNY! => The Switcher switches back to "Fake Surround" and correct output, without Volume control in Apple Audio settings

Switcher: Microphone back; Apple Audio: device with several outputs => Output: FUNNY! => The Switcher switches back to "Fake Surround" and all satellites + Subwoofer are working!!!

Switcher: Microphone back; Apple Audio: internal speakers 1 => Output: FUNNY! => The Switcher switches back to "Fake Surround" and all satellites + Subwoofer are working!!!

Switcher: Microphone back; Apple Audio: internal speakers 2 => Output: FUNNY! => The Switcher switches back to "Fake Surround" but only silence

Switcher: Microphone back; Apple Audio: internal speakers 3 => Output: FUNNY! => The Switcher switches back to "Fake Surround" but only silence

Switcher: Microphone back; Apple Audio: LG Ultrawide => Output: FUNNY! => The Switcher switches back to "Fake Surround" and correct output, without Volume control in Apple Audio settings

None of the settings got music at the headphones in the front.

7 hours ago, madicineman said:

With your latest switcher (and after audio reset with your tool) these are the test results with Audio id 4:

Switcher: Speakers; Apple Audio: LG Ultrawide => Output: Squeak (from the speakers, not from the LG-audio)

Switcher: Headphones; Apple Audio: device with several outputs => Output: Squeak

Switcher: Headphones; Apple Audio: LG Ultrawide => Output: Squeak (from the speakers, not from the LG-audio)

Switcher: Fake Surround; Apple Audio: internal speakers 1 => Output: Center, Subwoofer, both rear satellites

Switcher: Fake Surround; Apple Audio: internal speakers 2 => Output: silence (headphones back and front too)

Switcher: Fake Surround; Apple Audio: internal speakers 3 => Output: silence (headphones back and front too)

Switcher: Fake Surround; Apple Audio: device with several outputs => Output: Center, Subwoofer, both rear satellites

Switcher: Fake Surround; Apple Audio: LG Ultrawide => Output: correct, without Volume control in Apple Audio settings

Switcher: Microphone front; Apple Audio: device with several outputs => Output: FUNNY! => The Switcher switches back to "Fake Surround" and all satellites + Subwoofer are working!!!

Switcher: Microphone front; Apple Audio: internal speakers 1 => Output: FUNNY! => The Switcher switches back to "Fake Surround" and all satellites + Subwoofer are working!!!

Switcher: Microphone front; Apple Audio: internal speakers 2 => Output: FUNNY! => The Switcher switches back to "Fake Surround" but only silence

Switcher: Microphone front; Apple Audio: internal speakers 3 => Output: FUNNY! => The Switcher switches back to "Fake Surround" but only silence

Switcher: Microphone front; Apple Audio: LG Ultrawide => Output: FUNNY! => The Switcher switches back to "Fake Surround" and correct output, without Volume control in Apple Audio settings

Switcher: Microphone back; Apple Audio: device with several outputs => Output: FUNNY! => The Switcher switches back to "Fake Surround" and all satellites + Subwoofer are working!!!

Switcher: Microphone back; Apple Audio: internal speakers 1 => Output: FUNNY! => The Switcher switches back to "Fake Surround" and all satellites + Subwoofer are working!!!

Switcher: Microphone back; Apple Audio: internal speakers 2 => Output: FUNNY! => The Switcher switches back to "Fake Surround" but only silence

Switcher: Microphone back; Apple Audio: internal speakers 3 => Output: FUNNY! => The Switcher switches back to "Fake Surround" but only silence

Switcher: Microphone back; Apple Audio: LG Ultrawide => Output: FUNNY! => The Switcher switches back to "Fake Surround" and correct output, without Volume control in Apple Audio settings

Update: After a break the setting/outputs are changed:

Switcher: Speakers; Apple Audio: internal speakers 2 => Output: Squeak from all satellites without center + music from center

Switcher: Speakers; Apple Audio: internal speakers 3 => Output: Squeak from center + music from all satellites without center

Switcher: Speakers; Apple Audio: device with several outputs => Output: music from all 5 +1 speakers; sometimes, when I stop playing music via iTunes: squeak

Switcher: Speakers; Apple Audio: LG Ultrawide => Output: Squeak from the all speakers, music from LG Ultrawide-audio

8 hours ago, madicineman said:

I think I found the problem: The tool, which must not be named (but was used by me in the beginning), is storing kexts in /L/E or /S/L/E. So I looked for "Atheros" there and found the missing Ethernet kext to delete and another "AppleALC.kext" too... Do you think I can delete the content of the whole /L/E-folder?

screenshot_L-E-20180917.png

You do not have to delete all these kexts, they are partly from Apple. The FakeSMC.kext is mandatory to start macOS.

6 hours ago, madicineman said:

Thanks for testing. There are some funny results.

Since Apple does not have a Mac with 5.1 channels, we need to create an aggregate device where three 2-channel streams work as 5.1. But it's not the right way, we should use a single 6-channel stream, which I'm trying with layout-id 7.

Without the switcher.app 

Layout-id 4:

Internal Speakers 1 = front speakers

Internal Speakers 2 = center/sub

Internal Speakers 3 = rear surround

The switcher app is designed to work while the first device "Internal Speakers 1" is selected, and does not affect the digital devices. Digital devices (HDMI/DP, S/PDIF) have no audio controls.

Fake Surround should work like the multi-output devices but with volume control.

If you hear that squeaking, CodecCommander is not installed properly, you will need to rebuild the kernel cache.

Some tools to setup the streams.

setup streams for layout-id 7.zip

setup streams for layout-id 4.zip

• Like 1

On 9/17/2018 at 6:04 PM, wern apfel said:

You do not have to delete all these kexts, they are partly from Apple. The FakeSMC.kext is mandatory to start macOS.

Thanks for testing. There are some funny results.

Since Apple does not have a Mac with 5.1 channels, we need to create an aggregate device where three 2-channel streams work as 5.1. But it's not the right way, we should use a single 6-channel stream, which I'm trying with layout-id 7.

Without the switcher.app 

Layout-id 4:

Internal Speakers 1 = front speakers

Internal Speakers 2 = center/sub

Internal Speakers 3 = rear surround

The switcher app is designed to work while the first device "Internal Speakers 1" is selected, and does not affect the digital devices. Digital devices (HDMI/DP, S/PDIF) have no audio controls.

Fake Surround should work like the multi-output devices but with volume control.

If you hear that squeaking, CodecCommander is not installed properly, you will need to rebuild the kernel cache.

Some tools to setup the streams.

setup streams for layout-id 7.zip

setup streams for layout-id 4.zip

Thanks for your reply.

One general question from a new-be: Is it mandatory to have e.g. FakeSMC.kext in /L/E-Folder AND in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other? Or should I have it in one or the other?

To the audio:

Without the Switcher I have in Layout-id 4:

Internal Speakers 1 = center + rear + subwoofer

Internal Speakers 2 = silence

Internal Speakers 3 = silence

After using the "setup streams for layout-id 4" (disable stream C to 14, 15, 16) these are the results:

I am a little bit confused...

I will try layout 7 and post a report...

13 minutes ago, madicineman said:

Thanks for your reply.

One general question from a new-be: Is it mandatory to have e.g. FakeSMC.kext in /L/E-Folder AND in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other? Or should I have it in one or the other?

To the audio:

Without the Switcher I have in Layout-id 4:

After using the "setup streams for layout-id 4" (disable stream C to 14, 15, 16) these are the results:

I am a little bit confused...

I will try layout 7 and post a report...

It´s getting even funnier:

In layout 7 I have now only one "Internal speakers". Without any additional tool I have Surround 5.1 with full volume control at the Apple audio settings but no real effect(!). No headphone output via front plug and in the back of the case.

The same with "device with several outputs" but without volume control.

The Switcher + Apple audio at "Internal speakers":

Speakers: Squeak

Headphones: Music from center + subwoofer + front satellites + Squeak from rear satellites; very loud music from headphone-plug at the front of the case but no effect of the apple audio control

Fake Surround: Music from center + subwoofer + rear satellites; silence at front satellites; very loud music from headphone-plug at the back of the case but no effect of the apple audio control

After using the "setup streams for layout-id 7" tool (screenshot) and no Switcher toolMusic from center + subwoofer + rear satellites; silence at front satellites; very loud music from headphone-plug at the back of the case but no effect of the apple audio control

With the switcher tool while Apple Audio control at "Internal Speakers":

"Speakers": Squeak

"Headphones": Music from front satellites + Squeak from rear satellites; silence at all headphone-plugs

"Fake Surround": Music from center + subwoofer + from rear satellites, silence at front satellites; very loud music from headphone-plug at the back of the case but no effect of the apple audio control

After using the reset tool no music at all...

Report after reboot...

screenshot_stream_setup_id_7-20180919.png

5 minutes ago, madicineman said:

It´s getting even funnier:

In layout 7 I have now only one "Internal speakers". Without any additional tool I have Surround 5.1 with full volume control at the Apple audio settings but no real effect(!). No headphone output via front plug and in the back of the case.

The same with "device with several outputs" but without volume control.

The Switcher + Apple audio at "Internal speakers":

Speakers: Squeak

Headphones: Music from center + subwoofer + front satellites + Squeak from rear satellites; very loud music from headphone-plug at the front of the case but no effect of the apple audio control

Fake Surround: Music from center + subwoofer + rear satellites; silence at front satellites; very loud music from headphone-plug at the back of the case but no effect of the apple audio control

After using the "setup streams for layout-id 7" tool (screenshot) and no Switcher toolMusic from center + subwoofer + rear satellites; silence at front satellites; very loud music from headphone-plug at the back of the case but no effect of the apple audio control

With the switcher tool while Apple Audio control at "Internal Speakers":

"Speakers": Squeak

"Headphones": Music from front satellites + Squeak from rear satellites; silence at all headphone-plugs

"Fake Surround": Music from center + subwoofer + from rear satellites, silence at front satellites; very loud music from headphone-plug at the back of the case but no effect of the apple audio control

After using the reset tool no music at all...

Report after reboot...

So, after reboot, with id 7, no switcher, again Surround 5.1 but no headphones and a fake-volume-control. I think I will keep it that way because I have a convenient hardware-volume-control. If I have to use headphones I will use my bluetooth headphones.

Dear Wern, I have the feeling that our two motherboards have different Soundblaster-settings or (with more probability) my whole Audio installation is some kind of screwed up from my early days with the tool which must not be named. Anyway, I am very thankful for your help. Without you I would not have a functional 5.1 Surround Audio. Whenever you are in Bochum give me a PM... Thanks! You are great!

2 hours ago, madicineman said:

Leave it only in one place. From the Other folder it can be used for all macOS revisions.

1 hour ago, madicineman said:

Dear Wern, I have the feeling that our two motherboards have different Soundblaster-settings or (with more probability) my whole Audio installation is some kind of screwed up from my early days with the tool which must not be named. Anyway, I am very thankful for your help. Without you I would not have a functional 5.1 Surround Audio. Whenever you are in Bochum give me a PM... Thanks! You are great!

I don't think your mainboard uses a different configuration, here joevt has achieved the same results with the Gaming 7 mainboard.

Run the script with hda-verb, and show me the output.

If the speakers are properly connected and the AppleHDA.kext is unchanged, I recommend you to re-install macOS or wait for Mojave, it will be released next week.

Edited by wern apfel

3 hours ago, wern apfel said:

Leave it only in one place. From the Other folder it can be used for all macOS revisions.

I don't think your mainboard uses a different configuration, here joevt has achieved the same results with the Gaming 7 mainboard.

Run the script with hda-verb, and show me the output.

If the speakers are properly connected and the AppleHDA.kext is unchanged, I recommend you to re-install macOS or wait for Mojave, it will be released next week.

The output of the chipio_stream_param.sh you can find in the attachment.

Is it save to delete the FakeSMC in /L/E with the other kept in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other-folder?

Good night. It was a very long day...

screenshot_chipio_stream_param_sh_-20180919.png

17 hours ago, madicineman said:

The output of the chipio_stream_param.sh you can find in the attachment.

Is it save to delete the FakeSMC in /L/E with the other kept in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other-folder?

Good night. It was a very long day...

I'm sorry, forgot to attach the script. more_dump.sh.zip

Presumably there is still an audio-related kext in the system. Search for a kext called Creative-CA0132.kext and delete it. 

The FakeSMC.kext works from the Clover/kexts/Other folder as well as from /L/E or /S/L/E. From the extension folder it will be added to the kernel-cache, which is a bit faster but probably not noticeable. However, you must always repair permissions and rebuild the cache after replacing the kext. Whereby in the Other folder you can simply copy the kext and it works.

4 hours ago, Blacky said:

Hi,

Just a heads up. After some fiddling around, it seems there was an issue in the August 2018 Lilu.kext that prevented it from recognising HDEF devices. Lilu.ketxt from September 2018 works well.

Thanks, it was an class-code issue and had only few systems affected where there was no sound at all. 

Edited by wern apfel

50 minutes ago, wern apfel said:

I'm sorry, forgot to attach the script. more_dump.sh.zip

Well, you keep me going... ;)

Here is the output of the shell-script and I have no clue, what all of this is about:

".../Downloads/more_dump.sh

Connection Selector

nid = 0x01 --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x02 --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x03 --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x04 --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x05 --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x06 --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x07 --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x08 --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x09 --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x0a --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x0b --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x0c --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x0d --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x0e --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x0f --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x10 --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x11 --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x12 --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x13 --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x14 --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x15 --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x16 --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x17 --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x18 --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x19 --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x1a --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x1b --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x1c --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x1d --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x1e --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x1f --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x20 --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x21 --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x22 --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x23 --> result 0x00000000

nid = 0x24 --> result 0x00000000

Processing State

Power State

nid = 0x06 --> result 0x00000033

nid = 0x08 --> result 0x00000033

nid = 0x09 --> result 0x00000033

nid = 0x0a --> result 0x00000033

nid = 0x0d --> result 0x00000033

nid = 0x0e --> result 0x00000033

nid = 0x0f --> result 0x00000033

nid = 0x13 --> result 0x00000033

nid = 0x14 --> result 0x00000033

nid = 0x15 --> result 0x00000033

nid = 0x16 --> result 0x00000033

nid = 0x17 --> result 0x00000033

Pin Widget Control

nid = 0x0b --> result 0x00000040

nid = 0x0c --> result 0x00000040

nid = 0x10 --> result 0x000000c0

nid = 0x11 --> result 0x00000044

nid = 0x12 --> result 0x00000024

Pin Sense

nid = 0x0f --> result 0x80000000

nid = 0x11 --> result 0x80000000

EAPD

Volume Knob Control

nid = 0x15 --> result 0x01d31fdd

Configuration Default

nid = 0x0b --> result 0x010140f0

nid = 0x0c --> result 0x014580f0

nid = 0x0d --> result 0x014570f0

nid = 0x0e --> result 0x01c530f0

nid = 0x0f --> result 0x422000f0

nid = 0x10 --> result 0x022160f0

nid = 0x11 --> result 0x028120f0

nid = 0x12 --> result 0x37a791f0

nid = 0x13 --> result 0x50d000f0

nid = 0x18 --> result 0x500000f0

GET_STREAM_FORMAT

nid = 0x02 --> result 0x00004035

nid = 0x03 --> result 0x00004035

nid = 0x04 --> result 0x00004035

nid = 0x05 --> result 0x00004031

nid = 0x07 --> result 0x00004031

GET_PROC_COEF

GET_COEF_INDEX

nid = 0x15 --> result 0x0000008a

GET_CONNECT_LIST

nid = 0x07 --> result 0x00000012

nid = 0x08 --> result 0x00000011

nid = 0x09 --> result 0x0000000e

nid = 0x0a --> result 0x00000013

nid = 0x0b --> result 0x00000002

nid = 0x0c --> result 0x00000005

nid = 0x0d --> result 0x00000006

nid = 0x0f --> result 0x00000002

nid = 0x10 --> result 0x00000003

nid = 0x11 --> result 0x00000004

nid = 0x18 --> result 0x00000017

GET_SDI_SELECT

GET_UNSOLICITED_RESPONSE

nid = 0x0b --> result 0x00000082

nid = 0x0f --> result 0x00000083

nid = 0x10 --> result 0x00000081

nid = 0x11 --> result 0x00000081

nid = 0x12 --> result 0x00000081

nid = 0x15 --> result 0x00000083

nid = 0x16 --> result 0x00000080

GET_BEEP_CONTROL

GET_DIGI_CONVERT_1

nid = 0x05 --> result 0x00000111

nid = 0x15 --> result 0x00002119

GET_CONV

nid = 0x02 --> result 0x00000010

nid = 0x03 --> result 0x00000012

nid = 0x04 --> result 0x00000014

nid = 0x05 --> result 0x00000020

nid = 0x07 --> result 0x00000010

GET_GPIO_DATA

nid = 0x01 --> result 0x00000014

GET_GPIO_MASK

nid = 0x01 --> result 0x0000001f

GET_GPIO_DIRECTION

nid = 0x01 --> result 0x0000001e

nid = 0x15 --> result 0x00000018

GET_GPIO_WAKE_MASK

nid = 0x15 --> result 0x00000016

GET_GPIO_UNSOLICITED_RSP_MASK

nid = 0x15 --> result 0x00000003

nid = 0x24 --> result 0x00000000"

Next is the search for the Creative-CA0132.kext... To be continued.

The global search for "Creative-CA0132.kext" came back empty (whole computer + efi).

And I looked manually in /L/E, /S/L/E and /EFI for "Creative-CA0132.kext" and any other kext, which sounds audio-related. Nothing, sorry!

Is it useful to look in the S/L/Audio or /L/Audio - Folders?

Edited by madicineman

1 hour ago, madicineman said:

And I looked manually in /L/E, /S/L/E and /EFI for "Creative-CA0132.kext" and any other kext, which sounds audio-related. Nothing, sorry!

Is it useful to look in the S/L/Audio or /L/Audio - Folders?

Ok, these are the places from which kexts will be loaded, if its not there, it's ok.

The script shows me that no front speakers are connected. If I recall correctly, the front speakers never worked.

You can try the next script which shows you where is a jack connected. Just connect a jack and run the script, 0x80000000 means jack connected. See if it matches.

pinsense.sh.zip

2 hours ago, wern apfel said:

Ok, these are the places from which kexts will be loaded, if its not there, it's ok.

The script shows me that no front speakers are connected. If I recall correctly, the front speakers never worked.

You can try the next script which shows you where is a jack connected. Just connect a jack and run the script, 0x80000000 means jack connected. See if it matches.

pinsense.sh.zip

I assure you, that the front speakers are connected and working. Otherwise it would not be possible to have real Surround 5.1 (without the Switcher tool). My Apple audio settings are at "Internal Speakers". But center, subwoofer and all satellites are working. Unfortunately it is not possible to upload the picture of my audio connections (error -200). You can see it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hl6qginrwtmjy5u/Audio_plugging_20180920.png?dl=0 

Edited by madicineman

17 hours ago, madicineman said:

I assure you, that the front speakers are connected and working. Otherwise it would not be possible to have real Surround 5.1 (without the Switcher tool). My Apple audio settings are at "Internal Speakers". But center, subwoofer and all satellites are working. Unfortunately it is not possible to upload the picture of my audio connections (error -200). You can see it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hl6qginrwtmjy5u/Audio_plugging_20180920.png?dl=0 

Ok, that's wrong.:( The upper center jack is for the front speakers! The jack with the speaker and headphone symbol is for headphones. That's the reason for the strange behaviour of the switcher app.

7 hours ago, wern apfel said:

Ok, that's wrong.:( The upper center jack is for the front speakers! The jack with the speaker and headphone symbol is for headphones. That's the reason for the strange behaviour of the switcher app.

Ok, sorry! I will rewire as soon as I am back home. 

On 9/20/2018 at 7:55 PM, wern apfel said:

pinsense.sh.zip

Ok, I did the rewiring: Actually I just switched the Center/Subwoofer-Cable from the left of the lower plugs to the middle of the upper plugs.

Result:

I still have Surround 5.1 without Switcher and with the MacOSX-Audio settings at "Internal speakers" and a movable volume-knob with the "plop"-sound of MacOSX but with no effect at the real volume. I connected two headphone-sets: one in the rear and one in the front. Only the one in the rear has sound (very loud, with no way to tune it down). I connected an old microphone too: it works only plugged in in the rear (I checked with Skype test calls). The output of the pinsense-tool is attached.

When I opened the latest of your Switcher-tools the headphones went silent and with the setting "speakers" I still got Surround 5.1.

The setting "Fake Surround" did not change the output and after clicking it, the display still showed "speakers". 

The setting "headphones" switched on both headphones with a movable volume-knob with the "plop"-sound of MacOSX but with no effect at the real volume. All speakers went silent.

From the setting "headphones" I did the next:

The setting "Microphone rear" switched on the rear headphones and the rear micro with a movable volume-knob with the "plop"-sound of MacOSX but with no effect at the real volume. Only Center and Subwoofer had sound.

The setting "Microphone front" switched on the front headphones and the front micro with a movable volume-knob with the "plop"-sound of MacOSX but with no effect at the real volume. All speakers went silent.

This output of the micro-settings was different, when I did it from the setting "Speakers": The Surround 5.1 was still there, just the micro was switched (I think, as it is supposed to do).

All that testing was in ID-Layout "7".

Do you know, how to adjust the volume of the headphones?

Tell me, if I should do some more testing.

screenshot_pinsense_20180922.png

Edited by madicineman

13 hours ago, madicineman said:

Ok, I did the rewiring: Actually I just switched the Center/Subwoofer-Cable from the left of the lower plugs to the middle of the upper plugs.

That is still wrong. I did not know that your audio jacks are not coloured and thought the colours that the pin sense script shows, which are default colours for audio jacks, make it easier to connect them properly. It seems that the little speaker icon of the back panel confused you, I think Gigabyte means that you can also connect passive speakers, as this jack has an amplified output.

13 hours ago, madicineman said:

Do you know, how to adjust the volume of the headphones?

As I mentioned earlier, you can not control the volume while using layout-it 7. For volume control, I suggest you to use layout 4, choose the first output device "Internal Speakers" and use the switcher. Fake Surround is probably your preferred choice.

Since Apple has no Macs with analog 5.1 channels, their software does not support this. As far as I know, only third-party apps support true 5.1, for example VLC. So we can stay with Fake-Surround.

In addition, you can try the switcher app, if you select a mic, it should not affect the speakers. But you can also use the old version.

back_panel.png

CA0132Switcher.zip

Edited by wern apfel
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, wern apfel said:

That is still wrong. I did not know that your audio jacks are not coloured and thought the colours that the pin sense script shows, which are default colours for audio jacks, make it easier to connect them properly. It seems that the little speaker icon of the back panel confused you, I think Gigabyte means that you can also connect passive speakers, as this jack has an amplified output.

As I mentioned earlier, you can not control the volume while using layout-it 7. For volume control, I suggest you to use layout 4, choose the first output device "Internal Speakers" and use the switcher. Fake Surround is probably your preferred choice.

Since Apple has no Macs with analog 5.1 channels, their software does not support this. As far as I know, only third-party apps support true 5.1, for example VLC. So we can stay with Fake-Surround.

Sorry, Wern, of course you are right! I meant, I switched the front speakers-cable. The hardware was correct this time, but my words were wrong. 

OK, I will do some tests in ID 4. All I can say about the Surround 5.1 in ID 7 is, that I have music/sound from all 6 speakers. I can not tell yet, if the signal is correct more than Stereo. I will test that too and do a report.

7 minutes ago, madicineman said:

Sorry, Wern, of course you are right! I meant, I switched the front speakers-cable. The hardware was correct this time, but my words were wrong. 

OK, I will do some tests in ID 4. All I can say about the Surround 5.1 in ID 7 is, that I have music/sound from all 6 speakers. I can not tell yet, if the signal is correct more than Stereo. I will test that too and do a report.

Did you choose 6 channels using the Audio-MIDI tool? If not, it is also fake surround. You can test it by clicking on the speaker icons, you will hear some noise.