How to do back HDD with efi Partition ?

macusers

10 posts in this topic

Hi all

I have managed to get Yosemite installed by using Clover method and it seems to work very well. Now I want to use SuperDuper to back it up but i know SuperDuper will not copy the efi partition because its a hidden partition. What I did is after it finished backing up I then manually copy the efi folder from the working HDD and paste it in the new back up efi partition. I try to boot from this back up HDD, it boots up fine however on the Clover boot screen it doesn't have a EFI Backup Partition like the original HDD. So can anyone please show me how to do it properly. Thanks in advance.

Hi all

I have managed to get Yosemite installed by using Clover method and it seems to work very well. Now I want to use SuperDuper to back it up but i know SuperDuper will not copy the efi partition because its a hidden partition. What I did is after it finished backing up I then manually copy the efi folder from the working HDD and paste it in the new back up efi partition. I try to boot from this back up HDD, it boots up fine however on the Clover boot screen it doesn't have a EFI Backup Partition like the original HDD. So can anyone please show me how to do it properly. Thanks in advance.

You mean Recovery HD?? If so then use Carbon Copy Cloner it offers to create the Recovery HD if it does not exist on the target drive, still have to copy the EFI partition contents though it does not do that.

Edit: I would add sometimes it is on the second cloning it will offer to do that Recovery HD offer for some strange reason.

Hi all

EFI partition It's a hidden partition, you can't make a copy of that. Only copy/paste the content.

Don't forget to format partition to FAT32 before copy.

To back up my entire hackintosh, I use Clonezilla - it backs up every partition. The only down side is that it has to back up to an identical or larger drive.

http://clonezilla.org

Made a bootable flash drive and bam... works a treat!

crash

Do you mean Clonezilla will also backup a hidden partition as well ?. Thank you sir.

You mean Recovery HD?? If so then use Carbon Copy Cloner it offers to create the Recovery HD if it does not exist on the target drive, still have to copy the EFI partition contents though it does not do that.

Edit: I would add sometimes it is on the second cloning it will offer to do that Recovery HD offer for some strange reason.

Yes, I meant to say Recovery HD+. Do you mean Carbon clone may or may not offer Recover option on its 1st run ?. Thank you for your time "MacUser2525".

EFI partition It's a hidden partition, you can't make a copy of that. Only copy/paste the content.

Don't forget to format partition to FAT32 before copy.

Thanks for reminding me "FAT32" almost forget about that.  :)

• Like 1

Do you mean Clonezilla will also backup a hidden partition as well ?. Thank you sir.

Yes, I meant to say Recovery HD+. Do you mean Carbon clone may or may not offer Recover option on its 1st run ?. Thank you for your time "MacUser2525".

Clonezilla backups up the entire drive something like dd from the command line now whether it skips the useless zero information parts I do not know never used it dd does not. Yes sometimes it is only on the second run I have got that offer to create Recovery HD.

Clonezilla backups up the entire drive something like dd from the command line now whether it skips the useless zero information parts I do not know never used it dd does not. Yes sometimes it is only on the second run I have got that offer to create Recovery HD.

Thanks again Sir.

To back up my entire hackintosh, I use Clonezilla - it backs up every partition. The only down side is that it has to back up to an identical or larger drive.

http://clonezilla.org

Made a bootable flash drive and bam... works a treat!

crash

`

Hi Crash,

Right now I need to clone my partition of Yosemite

Could you please explain the processus of making the bootable flash drive with clonezilla under Yosemite ?

Thank you

`

Hi Crash,

Right now I need to clone my partition of Yosemite

Could you please explain the processus of making the bootable flash drive with clonezilla under Yosemite ?

Thank you

You can use "dd" terminal command line it works very well for back up. The only down side to this is you have to use the same or lager size than your source drive. You also have to start up with the 3rd start up disk, other word, your source drive and your destination drive are not in used.

Here is the command line in case you want to give it a try. " sudo dd if=/dev/rdisk0 of=/dev/rdisk1 bs=128m conv=noerror,sync ". 

remember replace "rdisk0"  with whatever your source disk is and replace "rdisk1" with whatever you destination disk is.