Wifi usb adapter issues

33 posts in this topic

I've been testing El Capitan with two different wifi USB adapters (RTL8192CU and RT2870 chipset). Both of them do work, but both of them break sleep.

If I don't use those adapters (or if I turn the radio off - picture related), sleep works normally. Anybody have any idea on how to fix this?

post-838036-0-09233200-1435089533_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Is normal some USB adapters break the Sleep. e.g: Bluetooth adapters.

But your problem is the solution - Turn the Radio Off  :P

Yeah, but I want to have auto sleep. If I forget to turn it off, computer freezes..

Anyways, I already gave up on El Capitan. Its just to buggy, and there won't be drivers until its released. Im back to Yosemite :( Also, those same USB adapters work flawlessly on Yosemite.

Yeah, but I want to have auto sleep. If I forget to turn it off, computer freezes..

Anyways, I already gave up on El Capitan. Its just to buggy, and there won't be drivers until its released. Im back to Yosemite :( Also, those same USB adapters work flawlessly on Yosemite.

USB stack is brand new in 10.11. Don't be surprised by compatibility problems.

Side note: 10.11 is not done.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I found working solution. 

Show package content of Wireless Network Utility.app and look for file c4e984143a23rfoff.rtl

Content of this file is 1 (radio off) or 0 (radio on).

You need relaunch Wireless Network Utility.app after change the content of c4e984143a23rfoff.rtl

For automatization these changes use SleepWatcher, I followed install instruction on http://tyhoffman.com/blog/2013/09/sleepwatcher-power-event-driven-automation/

After install SleepWatcher, edit rc.sleep and rc.wakeup files at "etc" folder.

Content of rc.sleep:

#!/bin/sh
osascript -e 'quit app "Wireless Network Utility"'
echo "1" > /Applications/Wireless\ Network\ Utility.app/c4e984143a23rfoff.rtl
open -a "Wireless Network Utility"

Content of rc.wakeup:

#!/bin/sh
echo "0" > /Applications/Wireless\ Network\ Utility.app/c4e984143a23rfoff.rtl

• Like 3

Can you explain a little bit more for Noobs.

I download Sleepwatcher but there is no Installer only a Sleepwatcher Terminal file when i start it nothing happens only some Text Output. 

I changed the two files with your Content and copied it to etc Folder.

And Please can you upload your Wireless Network Utility App?

I have a different i think

Can you explain a little bit more for Noobs.

I download Sleepwatcher but there is no Installer only a Sleepwatcher Terminal file when i start it nothing happens only some Text Output. 

I changed the two files with your Content and copied it to etc Folder.

And Please can you upload your Wireless Network Utility App?

I have a different i think

Simply run script from http://tyhoffman.com/blog/2013/09/sleepwatcher-power-event-driven-automation/(or paste commands to terminal). SleepWatch will be installed. After installation you must edit  /etc/rc.wakeup and /etc/rc.sleep

And Wireless Network Utility.app -> Wireless Network Utility.app.zip

Thanks Gynekolog....I am having issues also and tried the steps you outlined but no help. Maybe I am experiencing different issue from you. When I have my wifi usb plugged in El Capitan will restart itself randomly. If I reove the USB adapter, it will run for days. Is this the same problems you had?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I also have a usb wifi problem after installing EL capitan.

My Wireless Network Utility doesen't open. I Installed this one that gynekolog gave, but with no luck. I close it in the processes and tried to open again but it doesen't want to open.

Does somebody know the solution for my problem?

Thank you gynekolog

This worked great.... with a few modifications....

The file /Applications/Wireless\ Network\ Utility.app/c4e984143a23rfoff.rtl is unique to you......

c4e984143a23 is the MAC address of your wifi card.

To find the file you need to specify type:

cd /Applications/Wireless\ Network\ Utility.app/

ls *rfoff.rtl

You then need to replace the following lines in the rc.sleep and rc.wakeup scripts with your specific file based on your MAC address

echo "1" > /Applications/Wireless\ Network\ Utility.app/YOUR_MAC_ADDRESSrfoff.rtl     

You will also need to change the file permissions with (I think this is required??)

sudo chmod 777 /Applications/Wireless\ Network\ Utility.app/YOUR_MAC_ADDRESSrfoff.rtl

Hope this helps someone....... would be nice to have fully working drivers though!!

I found working solution. 
Show package content of Wireless Network Utility.app and look for file c4e984143a23rfoff.rtl
Content of this file is 1 (radio off) or 0 (radio on).
You need relaunch Wireless Network Utility.app after change the content of c4e984143a23rfoff.rtl
For automatization these changes use SleepWatcher, I followed install instruction on http://tyhoffman.com/blog/2013/09/sleepwatcher-power-event-driven-automation/
After install SleepWatcher, edit rc.sleep and rc.wakeup files at "etc" folder.

Content of rc.sleep:
#!/bin/sh
echo "1" > /Applications/Wireless\ Network\ Utility.app/c4e984143a23rfoff.rtl
Content of rc.wakeup:
#!/bin/sh
echo "0" > /Applications/Wireless\ Network\ Utility.app/c4e984143a23rfoff.rtl

• Like 2

I would do the following to trouble-shoot

1) Remove the contents of /etc/rc.sleep

2) Switch off the radio manually (using Wireless Network utility)

3) Quit Wireless Network Utility (make sure you quit using the menu rather than just press the red 'x')

4) Try putting your computer to sleep

Does your computer crash when sleeping?

When your computer resumes from sleep does Wireless Network Utility restart automatically? Does the radio switch on automatically? (this implies that your rc.wakeup script is executed correctly)

You can try executing the individual lines of the rc.sleep and rc.wakeup using Terminal (remember to put 'sudu' without quotes before each line).... this may tell you if/what any problems are

John

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you gynekolog

This worked great.... with a few modifications....

The file /Applications/Wireless\ Network\ Utility.app/c4e984143a23rfoff.rtl is unique to you......

c4e984143a23 is the MAC address of your wifi card.

To find the file you need to specify type:

cd /Applications/Wireless\ Network\ Utility.app/

ls *rfoff.rtl

You then need to replace the following lines in the rc.sleep and rc.wakeup scripts with your specific file based on your MAC address

echo "1" > /Applications/Wireless\ Network\ Utility.app/YOUR_MAC_ADDRESSrfoff.rtl     

You will also need to change the file permissions with (I think this is required??)

sudo chmod 777 /Applications/Wireless\ Network\ Utility.app/YOUR_MAC_ADDRESSrfoff.rtl

Hope this helps someone....... would be nice to have fully working drivers though!!

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum. I decided to join since this is the only site that accurately explains the problem I've been having with El Capitan.

I upgraded my mid 2009 macbook pro with a HDD (1 TB) and SDD (256 MB) when my hard drive failed. When I was installing it the second hard drive, I broke the cable from the mother board (or the port on the board) to the wifi, bluetooth, and isight camera. The only way I can use the internet now is through my ASUS-N13 driver, which worked perfectly on Yosemite.... Now, El Capitan is wreaking havoc on my computer. My computer will shut off when it starts sleeping with the driver still in it. It will sometimes start on its own after that, or I will have to force it to restart/start.

I tried pasting the script from the site gynekolog linked to install sleepwatcher. When I copied the script in Terminal, it created(probably moved) a sleepwatcher folder in my documents. However, there was no /etc/ folder to be found. Even still, every file in the sleepwatcher folder said that it had been installed in 2011. So, I guess it never updated to a new version. I decided to delete sleepwatcher. I tried to redownload it using macports and the command "sudo port install sleepwatcher," which required me to download Xcode and open it. So, now I've been able to "get" sleepwatcher back on my computer (I'm not sure it ever left. I think it was having "directory" problems when I "deleted" it.). However, nothing has changed about these sleepwatch folders. I just found the etc folders in the /opt/local/etc/ folder on my computer, but I'm afraid to edit the code for the rc.wakeup and rc.sleep files now. (They automatically opens up in Text Wrangler.) Does the code get inserted near the if/for loop? From what I remember, anything with # in front of it doesn't contribute to the function of the program.

I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible, but due to my little experience with terminal (and programming), it's becoming quite a headache. 

Within the past couple days, my computer's been restarting whenever. It even restarted while I was typing this post... (Maybe I have to reset the SMC?) I just want my baby to last four more years. It's been working well until this update.

Even if I do get this sleepwatcher trick to work, is it worth it to stick with El Capitan? I'm considering reverting to Yosemite. However, I don't want to reset up my fusion drive (would I have to?), and I hear that writing and rewriting to SDDs wear them out. Also, I'm using time machine, so am I allowed to move just the data portions and not the OS onto yosemite if I clean install. 

I apologize sincerely for any apparent ignorance in this post.