(Guide) Insert Ozmosis into UEFI BIOS

Pavo

178 posts in this topic

WARNING: Flashing your BIOS is dangerous use with caution:

This guide is to show a much simpler way to inject the Ozmosis files into your own UEFI BIOS using MMTool. (Note: You must do this in either Windows or in a VM of Windows)

1. Download the attached files : 

2. You need to download your own UEFI BIOS from your motherboard website (example shown is Z97X-SLI F6 BIOS)

3. Extract the Ozmosis.zip file and you will see 3 more zipped files inside that, also extract those files.

This is what you should see after everything is extracted:

lS1EqVh.png

4. Open MMTool and Click Load Image, find your UEFI BIOS that you downloaded earlier  (change Files of type to All Files)

kZCMhe7.png

5. Click the Extract tab and under Extract FFS Options click Extract UnCompressed, in the lower window look for CORE_DXE and select it (see below)

3qrfW83.png

6. Click Browse and select the extracted folder that you unzipped earlier and in the File Name portion Type CORE_DXE and click Save then Click Extract.

FNMhXE8.png

7. Next click the Delete Tab and again select the CORE_DXE in the lower window and click Delete

vvIzj4t.png

8. Next select the FileSystem in the lower window and click Delete

HA1SYRq.png

9. Next click the Insert Tab and in the Vol. Index make sure you are using 02:01-00, under Insert FFS Options select Insert Compressed, click Browse and select CORE_DXE that you extracted earlier and click Open the click Insert

pJR6VGs.png

10. Repeat Step 9 for EnhancedFat, HfsPlus, PartitionDxe, Ozmosis, HermitShellX64, OzmosisDefaults, SmcEmulatorKext, (Optional: VoodooHdaKext, OzmosisBlackTheme)

11. Once you have completed Step 10 scroll down in the lower window and look to make sure you have everything inserted

EHoLrAp.png

12. Click Create Report

UBp8RyR.png

13. GoTo the folder where your BIOS was and find the report file with a .rpt extension and open with NotePad

hrhQs8G.png

14. Scroll down under Firmware Volume : 02 and find the section in the previous screenshot and make sure you have plenty of free space

rsDNe5k.png

15. Close NotePad and click Save Image in MMTool

16. Now pick your favorite flashing tool of your choice and enjoy Ozmosis :P

Ozmosis.zip

• Like 18

Continued for Ozmosis ESP folder structure:

Ok now that you have Ozmosis injected into your UEFI BIOS you have probably figured out that your BIOS doesn't have lot of space to be able to inject all your needed kexts or DSDT or SSDT. This is were the ESP folder that Ozmosis automatically makes upon first boot comes in. (Note: The Oz folder structure will be made on the first HDD with GUID partitioning scheme, so select your HDD placement on your board correctly) After the first boot of Ozmosis you will see a folder structure created as a hidden EFI partition see below:

AsRCtjL.png

I have expanded every folder so you can see everything :P

DSDT and SSDT go in the Efi/Oz/Acpi/Load/ folder

Kext go into the Efi/Oz/Darwin/Extensions/Common/ folder

As you can see the pic above I have a Theme.bin file located under Efi/Oz, this is because my BIOS didn't have enough space for me to inject the ozmosisblacktheme into my BIOS. You can also put Defaults.plist file here and this is recommended until you have the correct Defaults.plist settings but once you have the correct Default.plist settings you can convert it into a .ffs and inject it into your BIOS.

Attached is the a example of iMac14,2 SMBIOS w/ iMessage and FaceTime settings fix and Theme.bin if you do not inject the theme into you BIOS.

Theme.bin.zip

Defaults.plist.zip

• Like 8

Continued: Adding your own needed Kexts and putting your Defaults.plist into your firmware

(Note: Your firmware only has so much space, use the Oz folder structure if your firmware can not handle all the your kexts)

Now that you have inserted everything needed for Ozmosis and learned how the Oz folder structure works the next guide teaches you how to convert your own needed kexts and converting Clover config over to Defaults.plist.

Converting your own kexts to .ffs to be injected into firmware:

Tools need:

kexts2ffs which is attached

Step 1. Extract the attached kext2ffs and you will see these folders and files:

W0l4SXE.png

Step 2. Add your own kexts to the Kexts folder in Kext2Ffs like this:

cZf7Cwi.png

Step 3. Open the Ozm Folder and open the OzmosisDefaults.plist with either Xcode or PlistEdit Pro (DO NOT OPEN WITH a TextEditior)

cslp7Xy.png

Step 4. Open your Clover config.plist again with either Xcode or PlistEdit Pro

FqvD8YX.png

Now this is where you have to look and see what can be carried over from Clover config.plist to OzmosisDefaults.plist that Ozmosis uses, I have attached a full list of settings that Ozmosis uses in its OzmosisDefaults.plist. The only things that can be moved from Clover config.plist to OzmosisDefaults.plist are:
Graphics in Clover config.plist:
<key>FBName</key>
<string>Macaque</string>
In OzmosisDefaults.plist:
<key>AtiFramebuffer</key>
<string>ReplaceMe</string>
Intel GFX in Clover config.plist:
<key>ig-platform-id</key>
<string>0x01620005</string>
In OzmosisDefaults.plist:
<key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
<integer>0xDEADBEAF</integer>
If you want to inject anything for graphics you need to make sure DisableNvidaInjection, DisableAtiInjection and DisableIntelInjection are set to false like this:
Ati:
<key>DisableAtiInjection</key>
<false/>
Nvidia:
<key>DisableNvidaInjection</key>
<false/>
Intel:
<key>DisableIntelInjection</key>
<true/>
The SMBIOS section self explanitory so I am not going to go over that except how to fix iMessage and FaceTime if you currently have it working with using Clover
(Remember ROM must be 12 digits HEX and MLB must be 17 digits)
ROM:
Clover config.plist:
<key>ROM</key>
<data>xxxxxxxxxxx</data>
OzmosisDefaults.plist:
<key>HardwareAddress</key>
<string>xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx</string>
MLB(which is located in the SMBIOS as BoardSerialNumber):
Clover config.plist:
<key>BoardSerialNumber</key>
<string>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</string>
OzmosisDefaults.plist:
<key>BaseBoardSerial</key>
<string>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</string>
The only other thing that you can use from Clover config.p;its in OzmosisDefaults.plist is the boot-args
Clover config.plist:
<key>Arguments</key>
<string>kext-dev-mode=1</string>
OzmosisDefaults.plist:
<key>boot-args</key>
<string>kext-dev-mode=1</string>

Now once you have done everything you want in the OzmosisDefaults.plist save and close and run the KextToFfs.command.
You will see a terminal windows open and showing what is being converted. Close the terminal windows once converted is complete and find your converted kexts and OzmosisDefaults located in:
Kexts:
Kext2Ffs/Ffs/Kext/ (Note: if you want to use the compressed versions they are located in Kext2Ffs/Ffs/Kext/Compress/ which is recommended to save space in the firmware)
OzmosisDefaults:
Kext2Ffs/Ffs/Ozm/ (Note: if you want to use the compressed versions they are located in Kext2Ffs/Ffs/Ozm/Compress/ which is recommended to save space in the firmware)

Now you have the required .ffs files you need to inject into your firmware with MMtool.

Common MMTool Errors:

Ran out of space in firmware when trying to inject a .ffs

mbblNo5.png

Injecting something that has the same GUID that your firmware already has:

WNhsdma.png

Kext2Ffs.zip

Ozmosis Default Variables.zip

• Like 6

Awesome guide! I've been looking for something like this. I did get a little confused by post #3. Specifically step 3. I've been using chameleon bootloader thus far as the tonymac way of doing things was relatively easy, and I was unaware of the other (and apparently better) way of doing things. In any case this guide assumes the previous use of clover (or at least it seems so) in step 3. I don't have a Clover config.plist, so I'm not sure of what is supposed to be copied over. Is there any additional steps that one needs to take if they were starting from scratch? Blank SSD, no prior files or .plists, etc.?

Awesome guide! I've been looking for something like this. I did get a little confused by post #3. Specifically step 3. I've been using chameleon bootloader thus far as the tonymac way of doing things was relatively easy, and I was unaware of the other (and apparently better) way of doing things. In any case this guide assumes the previous use of clover (or at least it seems so) in step 3. I don't have a Clover config.plist, so I'm not sure of what is supposed to be copied over. Is there any additional steps that one needs to take if they were starting from scratch? Blank SSD, no prior files or .plists, etc.?

I never used Chameleon, but I am assuming there is a SMBIOS section in the config for it, thats the info you need to xfer to Defaults.plist so you have same settings i.e.... iMessage, FaceTime. If you want to start from scratch you can take your system specs and match them to a Apple product then use either Chameleon Wizard or Clover Configurator and select the SMBIOS that best match your system specs and fill in Defaults.plist with those settings.

I never used Chameleon, but I am assuming there is a SMBIOS section in the config for it, thats the info you need to xfer to Defaults.plist so you have same settings i.e.... iMessage, FaceTime. If you want to start from scratch you can take your system specs and match them to a Apple product then use either Chameleon Wizard or Clover Configurator and select the SMBIOS that best match your system specs and fill in Defaults.plist with those settings.

iMessage no longer works, and I'd kind of like to start from scratch so it sounds like Clover configurator is the way to go. Thanks!

And just to clarify, if you can fit all necessary kexts into bios, you can basically reinstall or update via the appstore, etc. as if it were an actual mac correct? otherwise if you need to use the oz folder for kexts, is that the only thing that needs to be reloaded upon installing or updating via traditional apple methods?

And just to clarify, if you can fit all necessary kexts into bios, you can basically reinstall or update via the appstore, etc. as if it were an actual mac correct? otherwise if you need to use the oz folder for kexts, is that the only thing that needs to be reloaded upon installing or updating via traditional apple methods?

Only if you re-partition the disk if you just format the install partition during install the EFI partition on it will not be wiped/re-created so all the files you already have in it will still be there for use by Ozmosis.

Thank you for this awesome guide! But I have one question: I have a Z87i-DELUXE from ASUS and the only volume with enough storage (and the one that has the CORE_DXE ffs in it) is Vol. Index 4.  Do I insert all the needed ffs"s into there?

Thanks!

~ T

Thank you for this awesome guide! But I have one question: I have a Z87i-DELUXE from ASUS and the only volume with enough storage (and the one that has the CORE_DXE ffs in it) is Vol. Index 4.  Do I insert all the needed ffs"s into there?

Thanks!

~ T

The one with Core_Dxe is the volume you want to inject the other modules, Volume 2 in the example was a GA board, make sure you lookup how to patch PM on the ASUS BIOS or you may have ACIPM issues

• Like 1

So I successfully added all the needed files into the CAP bios file and flashed it to my motherboard, but I'm not sure how to boot using Ozmosis or how to test to see if it worked properly.  Could you give me a little info on that?

Thank you!

~ T

• Like 1

Easiest way is to hit the alt+windows key+p+r combo continuously and see if it resets nvram, the screen will flash different colors or create a USB installer using the createinstallmedia method and boot directly off of it by using your BIOS boot menu hot key

• Like 1

Easiest way is to hit the alt+windows key+p+r combo continuously and see if it resets nvram, the screen will flash different colors or create a USB installer using the createinstallmedia method and boot directly off of it by using your BIOS boot menu hot key 

Okay, I tried what you've said above, but it still seems to not be working.  Here's a link to the stock BIOS for my board and the one patched with CodeRush's tool and Ozmosis injected into it.  Can you either patch the stock one or check the patched one to make sure I didn't miss anything?

http://1drv.ms/1wjctOW

Thank you,

~ T

Okay, I tried what you've said above, but it still seems to not be working.  Here's a link to the stock BIOS for my board and the one patched with CodeRush's tool and Ozmosis injected into it.  Can you either patch the stock one or check the patched one to make sure I didn't miss anything?

http://1drv.ms/1wjctOW

Thank you,

~ T

I added the missing stuff, at a minimum you have to have EnhancedFat, HfsPlus, Ozmosis, and OzmosisDefaults. You was missing all of those, you had your ethernet, genericusb and partitiondxe those are optional. I used a iMac13,2 SMBIOS for your Defaults

Ozmosis-PMPatch-Z87ID-1204.CAP.zip

I added the missing stuff, at a minimum you have to have EnhancedFat, HfsPlus, Ozmosis, and OzmosisDefaults. You was missing all of those, you had your ethernet, genericusb and partitiondxe those are optional. I used a iMac13,2 SMBIOS for your Defaults

Hmm... I thought I added them in just like your tutorial stated... oh well. It seems to be working now, as I have new boot entries labeled "Macintosh HD" and "Recovery HD". I can select "Macintosh HD" and the Yosemite Apple logo loads up, but the progress bar doesn't move.. and a few seconds later, the computer reboots. Any ideas? Or do I need to adjust my own settings? {I've been using an iMac14,2 SMBIOS... does this matter?)

EDIT: Never mind! It's just a KP because I forgot to delete my old FakeSMC kext out of /S/L/E. Booted up an installer and clean installed just fine. Thank you so much Pavo!

~ T

Hi,

my new system:

msi H61M-P31/w8 (ms-7788) mother board

Bios:        http://download.msi.com/bos_exe/7788v36.zip

intel Core i3-3250 Ivy-Bridge-D 3.50GHz cpu

Website:    http://ark.intel.com/products/74744/Intel-Core-i3-3250-Processor-3M-Cache-3_50-GHz

this is a 3rd-Gen cpu with Intel HD 2500 video card.

Can this motherboard be mod with ozmosis ?

Thanks.

Hi,

my new system:

msi H61M-P31/w8 (ms-7788) mother board

Bios:        http://download.msi.com/bos_exe/7788v36.zip

intel Core i3-3250 Ivy-Bridge-D 3.50GHz cpu

Website:    http://ark.intel.com/products/74744/Intel-Core-i3-3250-Processor-3M-Cache-3_50-GHz

this is a 3rd-Gen cpu with Intel HD 2500 video card.

Can this motherboard be mod with ozmosis ?

Thanks.

Here you go, has iMac13,2 Defaults already in firmware, you will need to add any other needed kext to the Efi/Oz/Darwin/Extensions/Common folder once its been created

E7788IMS.360.zip

Here you go, has iMac13,2 Defaults already in firmware, you will need to add any other needed kext to the Efi/Oz/Darwin/Extensions/Common folder once its been created

Thanks.

Did you fix the DSDT in the bios ?

DSDT? You never asked about a DSDT, you can have your edited dsdt in Efi/Oz/Acpi/Load

Thank you.

but sorry for asking this?

1)

From this guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298521-easy-yosemite-1010-final-usb-installer-updated-10162014/

1a) Do i need to install clover to the usb, with ozmosis my bios ?   <found ans on post #13>

1b) Where do i find Efi/Oz/Acpi/Load, on the 10.10 usb installer or my sata hackintosh hd ?    <found ans on post #2 (it was late,sorry)>

1c) Can my bios be updated with patch dsdt for both windows & os x ?

1d) is FakeSMC.kext included into this mod bios, if so which version ?

1e) Have you read this article before ?  "http://www.osxlatitude.com/tuning-performance-with-fakesmc-smbios-plist/"

also see: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/269558-fakesmc-y-plugins/

2)

With this new bios, I can't seem to see what was loaded to it. I tried to do it myself but failed badly.

Can you a video on how you got ozmosis into my bios and a note on what else was added, like kexts/etc...?

btw: with your mod i was able to reach the install language selection screen of usb 10.10 from:

http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4784

THANK YOU VERRRRRY MUSH.

Thank you.

but sorry for asking this?

1)

From this guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298521-easy-yosemite-1010-final-usb-installer-updated-10162014/

1a) Do i need to install clover to the usb, with ozmosis my bios ?   <found ans on post #13>

1b) Where do i find Efi/Oz/Acpi/Load, on the 10.10 usb installer or my sata hackintosh hd ?    <found ans on post #2 (it was late,sorry)>

1c) Can my bios be updated with patch dsdt for both windows & os x ?

1d) is FakeSMC.kext included into this mod bios, if so which version ?

1e) Have you read this article before ?  "http://www.osxlatitude.com/tuning-performance-with-fakesmc-smbios-plist/"

also see: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/269558-fakesmc-y-plugins/

2)

With this new bios, I can't seem to see what was loaded to it. I tried to do it myself but failed badly.

Can you a video on how you got ozmosis into my bios and a note on what else was added, like kexts/etc...?

btw: with your mod i was able to reach the install language selection screen of usb 10.10 from:

http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4784

THANK YOU VERRRRRY MUSH.

If you read my guide its pretty straight forward and will answer all your questions.

If you read my guide its pretty straight forward and will answer all your questions.

Hi, sorry but i am now loss.

read, re-read your posts.

Ok, let me start over, well i tried a few things but all failed.

Step 0:

install new 500GB Hard Drive.

Step 1:

Loaded bios to my motherboard.

Set my bios boot to UEFI or Legacy+UEFI ( i tried both)

used OS X 10.10 Install USB.raw from http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4784

it has cover on it.

With my original bios, if i boot with this USB, i would get kernel panic.

I do not get kernel panic after updating my bios.

anyway, it takes a long time for bios or pc to reach bios POST.

Now i boot using the USB+Clover, then click Install OS X, you get the normal logs of info scrolling up the screen.

then it stop after "DSMOS as arrived", for about 20mins. then the install screen shows up.

(i have a video of it but it is too large right now, to upload, will do it later)

I installed OS X Yosemite, restart without the USB+Clover, I end up in the EFI shell.

I then boot using the USB+Clover, then select the Yosemite hard drive, booted ok, and finish the install.

This is where i am stuck.

I know not how to get the yosemite hd to boot without the clover usb.

If i turn on the pc without the clover usb, i end up in the efi shell.

(from the shell i learn how to copy the kexts from the clover usb (fs4:/efi/cover/extra/) to my hard drive efi folder (fs0:/efi/oz/darwin/extensions/common) using the cp -r command.

but i don't see any bootx64.efi file under /efi/oz.

I am still not able to boot right into yosemite on the HD.

Step 2:

Reconnected my windows 8 HD.

I turn on my pc, guest what i booted right into shell, lucky for me i was trying different things in shell that i learn that i can boot by just executing the command bootx64.efi. so i look around in shell and found this:

shell> fs0:

fs0> ls

EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi

EFI/Microsoft/bootx64.efi

fs0> cd efi/boot

fs0:\EFI\BOOT> bootx64.efi

wallah, windows boot. and here i am typing for help.

Note:

if i use the Clover usb to boot my yosemite hd, the EFI partition is nowhere to be found.

Thanks.

BTW:

first set of videos here, without new bios: http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4784&start=60#p45067

My bios have a feature were you can test new bios via booting the bios from usb-fat32, and not using the onboard bios.