Realtek RTL8187(L)

Alex3305

105 posts in this topic

1.- Run the installer, then reboot.

Takes a while to the "Realtek USB WLAN Configuration Utility" to load!!!!

2.- Ok, a new restart will help you and is needed because the System Preferences, Network, is at first a little unstable with the new "Realtek USB WLAN Configuration Utility".

3.- After restarting... And waiting on "Realtek USB WLAN Configuration Utility" to finish loading, open the System Preferences, Network then click on the "+" to add a "New Service", On Interfaces select the 3rd "Ethernet" then click on Create

After creating the service, it will get an IP automatically... it's wrong, but, it's ok!

4.- Rename your service to someting like "USB WiFi Solo" and go to "Realtek USB WLAN Configuration Utility" to the "Available Network" tab and pick your network, then "Add to Profile" type in your info and viola!

1. Installation of Kalyway 1. 5. 2. DVD 3.6GB

2. The Kalyway's kext(RTL8187B) has been deleted(Realtek uninstall alias)

Reboot

3.And new driver Realtek_RTL8187B_MacOS10.4_Driver_1117_UI_1.5.1A installed.

Reboot

4.Realtek USB WLAN Client Utility freezes!!! Not Starting!!!

I tried 33159, 33175 but no luck!

PLEASE HELP!!!

P.S.

Realtek USB WLAN Client Utility was started(on toshiba) one's and I was successfully connected to wifi, but after restart still not starting.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
The thing is, i the Realtek USB WLAN Client Utility loads up, bounces on the dock for a while, then just sits there. It doesn't do anything. No dock indicator. Nothing. I can't even apple tab to it.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

i have the same issue. Any help will be appreciated. Kalyway 10.5.1

Thx

• 1 month later...
i have the same issue. Any help will be appreciated. Kalyway 10.5.1

Thx

Is there a solution for this ANYWHERE?!?!???

I am having the same problem; the client utility bounces for a minute then stops responding. I have been searching for an answer and trying everything that I've come across and nothing has worked. I installed kalyway 10.5.2 on my gateway CX2724 (tablet notebook) and everything works fine except wireless and sound...

I'm using a Netgear USB dongle, WG111v2

selected both RTL8187L and B during kalyway install

realtek client utility freezes/ doesnt recognize the USB card

checked hardware in system profiler: "mac" DOES recognize the USB card (Cohiba yada yada)

thought the device might be bad, booted back to windows to check... the thing works fine

uninstalled both drivers selected during install

reinstalled RTL8187L only. same result

played around with Info.plist following some bullsh*t instructions from another forum. no luck.

uninstalled and reinstalled driver, flashed BIOS, disabled USB Legacy support. nothin.

SOMEBODY! POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION HERE!

HOW CAN I GET THAT :( ING BLUE BOUNCING CRAB TO WORK!?!?

DAMN IT!

:)

• 8 months later...
1. Installation of Kalyway 1. 5. 2. DVD 3.6GB

2. The Kalyway's kext(RTL8187B) has been deleted(Realtek uninstall alias)

Reboot

3.And new driver Realtek_RTL8187B_MacOS10.4_Driver_1117_UI_1.5.1A installed.

Reboot

4.Realtek USB WLAN Client Utility freezes!!! Not Starting!!!

I tried 33159, 33175 but no luck!

PLEASE HELP!!!

P.S.

Realtek USB WLAN Client Utility was started(on toshiba) one's and I was successfully connected to wifi, but after restart still not starting.

I am having the same exact issue on my Toshiba. After i installed the driver, it worked perfect, but after the reboot nothing happens. The crab icon jumps after startup and then just stays there. Nothing happens when I click on it.

RTL8187 WORKS IN 10.6.2!

What a nice post by smidge, but so hard to find:

He's right! It works in 32bit mode for rtl8187 L (NOT B! B works to, but that's somewhere else to be found.)

DUDES.

It works in SNOW LEOPARD! on my 10.6.2 vanilla install on an Aspire one D250

the installer will tell you it failed, and then a notice will come up saying the kext is not working.

The solution that worked for me..

1. connect dongle

2. restart

3. drag the RTL8187l.kext out of system/library/extensions

4. open kexthelper

5. drag the kext in, enter password etc

6. kexthelper than crashed on me, so i force quit, and restart

7. after a LONG boot, the realtek app opened automatically and told me to enable the device in network settings, so i did

8. opened realtek app, entered my wifi details and BOOM

it works :wacko:

Realtek_RTL8187_L__MacOS10.5_Driver1315_UI1.5.7.zip

RTL8187 WORKS IN 10.6.2!

He's right! It works in 32bit mode for rtl8187 L (NOT B! B works to, but that's somewhere else to be found.)

Took a shot at trying this in Leopard 10.5.8, still no luck. What I don't understand is why it works when I do a fresh install of the kext with the integer change the FIRST time. And after the reboot it becomes useless again.

• 1 month later...
RTL8187 WORKS IN 10.6.2!

OMG Thank You for uploading it, at the Realtek site all 3 links are down.. hehehe your post is the only Working download link hehehe

=P By the way your Post is WAY HARDER to find compared to Smudge's hehehee

Took a shot at trying this in Leopard 10.5.8, still no luck. What I don't understand is why it works when I do a fresh install of the kext with the integer change the FIRST time. And after the reboot it becomes useless again.

All these Leopards (10.5.5, 10.5.7, 10.5.8) All you need is the Actual Netgear website file: ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/NETGEAR...10.5_v1.1.0.zip

For some reason it wasn't working for me on Snow....

Now for Snow, I used the attachment Penguin provided that works

• 1 year later...

Is there any chance of getting a kext for RTL8187L that works on 64bit Snow Leopard???

I'm using the 32bit mode but I'd like to boot in 64bit and use the WLAN adapter.

I'm running 10.6.7 with everything vanilla on my EVGA P55 Micro SLI + Core i5 760

Cheers!

• 1 month later...
Is there any chance of getting a kext for RTL8187L that works on 64bit Snow Leopard???

I'm using the 32bit mode but I'd like to boot in 64bit and use the WLAN adapter.

I'm running 10.6.7 with everything vanilla on my EVGA P55 Micro SLI + Core i5 760

Cheers!

Well, I researched and did some testing here, and figured out how to work in 64 bits, even offering only Realtek driver for 32bit

Im running a Hackintosh Snow Leopard 10.6.7, 64bits with Gigabyte EP45-UD3R and Quad Core Q8400.

My WLAN USB 2.0 is that: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/afoundry-high...tic-mount-20160

I did as follows:

1) I removed the previous installation, using the same program from Realtek8187L

2) I did the installation normally and restarted the computer.

2.1) Open Terminal and type:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo chmod -R 755 RTL8187l.kext/

sudo chown -R 0:0 RTL8187l.kext/

I left the terminal and rebooted the computer

3) I connect the usb network card, but nothing was recognized.

3.1) I went back to the terminal and typed the following command:

kextutil sudo -t -v /System/Library/Extensions/RTL8187l.kext/

I got the error message, saying there was no code for that x64 architecture

4) restarted the computer, and at boot time, selected to be loaded in 32bit, I used it for the parameter "-x32" at boot time.

5) when he started in 32 bits, the USB network card was detected, went to "System Preferences / Network" and activated the card "RTL8187_Wireless."

6) The client program "Realtek USB WLAN Client Utility" loaded without problems, and recognized the card.

7) Restart the computer again, this time without any parameters, click on it to 64bit.

8) The client program from Realtek still does not work in 64bit, BUT 0.3.3 KisMAC loads and runs smoothly!

9) In KisMAC, I went to "Preferences / Driver" combobox and selected in the "RTL8187 USB Device" and then click the "ADD"

10) I selected the card in the "Capture device" and click "All" in "Channel Hopping" and "use the primary device" in the "Injection".

11) I closed the window "preferences" and KisMAC main screen, click "Start Scan" at the bottom right.

12) The result, 57 were detected networks, I send you to the screen below.

The driver I used was this: http://eurico.net/files/driver_wlan_usb.zip

The 0.3.3 KisMAC is http://eurico.net/files/KisMAC-0.3.3.dmg

• 3 weeks later...

I have no problems with RTL8187L and Lion anymore, but initially had troubles saving Connection Profiles until I realized, that Client Utility, for some reason, was unable to create "RtProfilesListV2.plist" in /Library/Preferences/. After restoring the file from an old TimeMachine backup everything seems to work fine..

That's happy news. Was there anything in particular you had to do to make it go, aside from what you described, or did the original driver just work? (aside from booting in 32-bit mode, presumably)

I have no problems with RTL8187L and Lion anymore, but initially had troubles saving Connection Profiles until I realized, that Client Utility, for some reason, was unable to create "RtProfilesListV2.plist" in /Library/Preferences/. After restoring the file from an old TimeMachine backup everything seems to work fine..

• 2 weeks later...

Concerning usage of RTL8187L device, Realtek Client Utility and MacOSX Lion:

1. Installation: I used the official installation routine augmented by the snow leopard workaround, which I copy/paste here from another source:

In terminal type

# cd /System/Library/Extensions

# sudo chmod -R 755 rtl8187l.kext

# sudo chown -R 0:0 rtl8187l.kext

# exit

I have never been asked to choose between 32/64 bit architecture - it just worked that way.

2. Set up: Unfortunately the Client Utility doesn't save any modifications made as part of a network setup. Usually profiles are saved in /Library/Preferences/RtProfilesListV2.plist, which is only reasonably editable via PlistEditor. As part of this - and I hope this helps the folks concerned - I have added a cleaned up "RtProfilesListV2.plist" as attachment.

I have no idea how ascii passwords are encoded, but they don't seem to be saved in plain text. Therefore the only option available appears to be to enter the network key. I have only a WEP network to work with, so I am not sure how this affects WPA, but it might work as well - otherwise you have to figure out the corresponding entries yourself, I'm sorry to say.

The attached RtProfilesListV2.plist contains three lines which point to the items that should be replaced:

- Put in the Network Key

- Put in the SSID

- Put in the profile name

which you can easily edit via text editor if that suits you.

I never liked the crab, therefore the archive contains a network icon similar to Airport I use as a replacement for the crabby icon...

Realtek.zip

Ah - the 32/64 bit thing must be a Mac thing. I'm on a latest-gen MacBook Pro, and it boots into the 64-bit kernel by default. I gotta hold down the "3" and "2" keys while booting to force 32 bit (there's probably a setting somewhere, too)

I've emailed Realtek about updating & fixing their crappy driver, and the answer was a blunt "no". Ahh, hardware manufacturers.

2. Set up: Unfortunately the Client Utility doesn't save any modifications made as part of a network setup. Usually profiles are saved in /Library/Preferences/RtProfilesListV2.plist, which is only reasonably editable via PlistEditor. As part of this - and I hope this helps the folks concerned - I have added a cleaned up "RtProfilesListV2.plist" as attachment.

I have no idea how ascii passwords are encoded, but they don't seem to be saved in plain text. Therefore the only option available appears to be to enter the network key. I have only a WEP network to work with, so I am not sure how this affects WPA, but it might work as well - otherwise you have to figure out the corresponding entries yourself, I'm sorry to say.

The attached RtProfilesListV2.plist contains three lines which point to the items that should be replaced:

- Put in the Network Key

- Put in the SSID

I never liked the crab, therefore the archive contains a network icon similar to Airport I use as a replacement for the crabby icon...

Realtek.zip

I was trying to make client utility work, and mine is now saving profiles very well. That was all related about permissions.

1. Go Library/Preferences/ and paste the file RtProfilesListV2.plist you attached.

2. Right mouse click on file > get info > set permissions Read&Write to all.

3. Set permissions Read&Write to all on folder Library and same with Preferences.

4. Now your Realtek Client Utility will save every profile you create/edit.

If you want, when you finished of editing/creating profiles, set permissions back (Only Read to staff and everyone).

And for those they need to open the Realtek Client Utility each time they boot their computer, when the app is opened, go dock, right click on Realtek Client Utility > Options > Open when login.

I don't know if menus are exactly as I said, because my hackintosh is in spanish.

Now, we need to find how make our Realtek Client Utility connect when pc goes sleep and wake up.

I want to modify icon as you, but I don't know (I'm pretty new on Mac OS). Could you give me exact steps? Thanks!

Edit:

I have tips to make our 8187L auto connect when PC wake up from sleep.

Writting a script that do something like:

sudo -s

echo [root password]

ifconfig [your 8187L interface] down

ifconfig [your 8187L interface] up

Doing that, Realtek Client Utility will recognize again the WLAN card when PC wakes, and Utility will auto connect to a existing profile. In last place, we need to program that script to run when pc wakes.

I will update post when I get it (I don't currently know how to write sh scripts)! Sorry bad english >.<

ReEdit:

I made it. I will update tomorrow with details(now go to sleep)!

ReReEdit:

To auto wake up your WLAN after PC wakes up from sleep:

Write an AppleScript with next script (search for AppleScript):

property userpassword : "[your root password"
do shell script "sudo ifconfig [your wlan interface] down;sudo ifconfig [your wlan interface] up" password userpassword with administrator privileges

To know your wlan interface, open terminal and write ifconfig.

For example, if your password is 123456 and your wlan interface is en0:

property userpassword : "123456"
do shell script "sudo ifconfig en0 down;sudo ifconfig en0 up" password userpassword with administrator privileges

Go compile, and then file > Save as. Name = rtl8187lwakeup and fomat -> Application

In my case I saved on Documents folder. (You can save it on another place)

To test if you are going right until now, if you run the app, your wlan will be desactivated and activated. (you can see this action on Realtek utility).

Next step is download SleepWatcher, from here.

Mount image, install "sleepwatcher.pkg" and then "SleepWatcher StartupItem.pkg".

Now you need to create a text file, (use TextEdit) and write next: "/Users/[your name]/Documents/rtl8187lwakeup.app"

In my case was: "/Users/peposcarmona/Documents/rtl8187lwakeup.app"

Save with name wakeup and you need to place that at your home folder ("/Users/[your name]")

Now go to that folder and open terminal:

write: mv (space) (drag wakeup file to terminal) (space) (drag wakeup again) (remove wakeup.rtf at last and write .wakeup) (press enter)

file will dissapear from folder (you just changed name to .wakeup, mac os x doesn't show files that start with .)

Restart your mac/hackintosh and now, your wlan will wake automatically when PC comes back from sleep.

This guide should work for any Realtek WLAN with same problem.

• 2 weeks later...

No solutions exist that I'm aware of, I'm afraid: Realtek refuse to update their driver or release the source code to the community, so we're stuck in 32 bit mode.

I can get it to work in 32, but not 64.

No one has this working in 64bit mode though right? the WLAN Utility is simply not able to do it.

solutions?

• 4 weeks later...

FYI the RealTek driver is SO crappy I prefer to route my traffic through a virtual machine. I've used the Linux and Windows driver for the 8187L and they perform a lot better.

Sad, but true.

Maybe we can interest lnx2mac into making a working driver for us.

• 2 weeks later...

As anarkhos suggested, running a virtual machine to operate the device is a pretty good option.

It took me two days to figure out all the details (like setting up routing both from the VM, and from the mac itself for internet sharing), but I got there, and I've found two things:

• No more booting in 32 bit, no more crashes, no more constant reboots and I can sleep my mac
  • I get a vastly stronger and more stable signal, and a faster throughput, to my great surprise

It turns out the Mac driver isn't just buggy, it actually doesn't seem to drive the device to its full potential. I'm getting great signal strength now, via the VM (using the Windows drivers via ndiswrapper - the native Linux drivers are awful too).

I wrote up step-by-step instructions on how to make it happen (using the free VirtualBox VM software, and the very small-form-factor Microcore Linux distribution) at http://atastypixel.com/blog/using-a-virtua...e-for-your-mac/ - I made a VM appliance you can download and boot straight away, and an easy-to-install OS X service to set up internet sharing for other computers on the network.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Concerning usage of RTL8187L device, Realtek Client Utility and MacOSX Lion:

- Put in the Network Key

- Put in the SSID

Oh my god ! How could I try to this stuff...it does not work for me. Correct me please:

</dict>

<string>profilesNetworkType</string>

<string>Channel</string>

<string>WPAPSKKey</string>

<string>kingkong01x</string> note: this my key

<string>WEPKeyLen</string>

<string>WEPKey3</string>

<string>BASCII</string>

<string>BSSID</string>

<string>profilesProfileName</string>

<string>dion node</string> note: this is my profile name

<string>DefaultKeyID</string>

<string>Encryption</string>

<string>WEPKey2</string>

<string>WEPKey4</string>

<string>Authentication</string>

<string>WEPKey1</string>

<string>profilesDefault</string>

<string>profilesSSID</string>

<string>KING</string> note: this is SSID name's

<dict>

• 4 weeks later...
It turns out the Mac driver isn't just buggy, it actually doesn't seem to drive the device to its full potential. I'm getting great signal strength now, via the VM (using the Windows drivers via ndiswrapper - the native Linux drivers are awful too).

I found the recent incarnations of rtl8187 (linux) to work well, with the sole problem that disconnecting the device causes Linux to lock up. I suspect this may be a VM issue, though. I'll have to test it on bare metal to see if the problem is the driver, OS, or what.

So long I don't unplug the adapter, I find the linux driver to be stable.