Cypress PS2 Trackpad kext

Ulysse31

128 posts in this topic

this is the best thing to happen to my dell 15z since I started hackintoshing with it! I gave a donation to ulysse for his amazing work, and ironically enough I feel much more inclined to give money for software when it is not required  :P . it is well worth it though, and i'm glad to support someone who does it for the passion!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

thanks  :P

I may do one on futher releases, but for now, i'm steel thinking on new possible features.

I've been also kind of overloaded with my professional work recently, so, dev is going slowly right now  :unsure:

Cheers,

--

Ulysse31

Have you considered converting to git?

If this was done as a git fork, there might be some possibility to create a universal ALPS, Synaptics, Cypress kext (Elan is still out of the question as the dev there is not releasing source).

Hi,

Yes, that still on the roadmap ^^

Cheers

I could probably do it with "git svn"... create a git repo that reflects your svn (but starting with a fork of mine), and then attempt a merge. Might be interesting to try anyway.

I'm afraid that because you didn't start with a fork, it may be difficult to have git recognize that each repo has a common root. The tricky part would be determining what commit you started your work with.

Major changes were done on new file VoodooPS2CypressTouchPad.cpp/h. Some trivial changes where made on VoodooPS2Mouse and VoodooPS2Keyboard for the new shortcuts (lock/sleep)

If you want to add cypress to your source, implementing the actual kext code should not be difficult, just add the 2 new Cypress cpp/h and diff VoodooPS2Mouse and VoodooPS2Keyboard (normally only few lines were added on those two, it arround 6 to 8 lines, something like that).

If  you want, i can git your actual source and re-implement my code on it.

For the prefpane, it's gonna need a bit more work ^^, since i "replaced/modified" the synaptics prefpane on the xcode project to add the cypress one.

Major changes were done on new file VoodooPS2CypressTouchPad.cpp/h. Some trivial changes where made on VoodooPS2Mouse and VoodooPS2Keyboard for the new shortcuts (lock/sleep)

If you want to add cypress to your source, implementing the actual kext code should not be difficult, just add the 2 new Cypress cpp/h and diff VoodooPS2Mouse and VoodooPS2Keyboard (normally only few lines were added on those two, it arround 6 to 8 lines, something like that).

If  you want, i can git your actual source and re-implement my code on it.

I'll do some diffing to see how messy it might be...

For the prefpane, it's gonna need a bit more work ^^, since i "replaced/modified" the synaptics prefpane on the xcode project to add the cypress one.

Probably the best answer for prefpane is to move it to its own project... one kext, multiple prefpanes.

I don't even provide the prefpane at this point as the built-in one can set the most important options. On top of that, the code is full of problems: user interface design problems, memory leaks, lack of robustness, etc. I just haven't had the time to look at it in detail (and I know next to nothing about UI code in OS X). Yours might even be a better base to start with should I try to fix up the Synaptics prefpane/configloader.

• 2 weeks later...

Does the Cypress VoodooPS2 work with Niresh's Mavericks installation?  I have tried it and the trackpad still goes bonkers and gets very jumpy.  I have removed both appleps2 kext and Appleacpinub kext, and replaced with the voodoops2 kext via kext installer, a USB mouse would work, but the trackpad seems to freeze every now and then,  Any suggestions or help?  Or does this kext only work with a vanilla install?

Does the Cypress VoodooPS2 work with Niresh's Mavericks installation?  I have tried it and the trackpad still goes bonkers and gets very jumpy.  I have removed both appleps2 kext and Appleacpinub kext, and replaced with the voodoops2 kext via kext installer, a USB mouse would work, but the trackpad seems to freeze every now and then,  Any suggestions or help?  Or does this kext only work with a vanilla install?

Hi,

Please, if you are sure that you have no other mouse related kext (ACPInub, other voodoops2, smoothkext, etc ...), download the debug kext (on the FAQ part on first post of this thread) and follow the FAQ instruction to generate debug logs, and send them to me. it might be another firmware version ^^ ...

Also, what is your computer brand and model ?

Cheers,

--

Ulysse31

Thanks Ulysse31, this realy is the last piece i just need to get running

Im running on a Dell Xps12 that has the Cypress Trackpad the 9Q23 i7 with 8GB Ram

Attached is my debug file

I actually couldnt even boot with the debug kext, it kernal panics,  I had to debug in safe mode, while your version .7 would boot, but freeses.

Thank you for any insight

cypress_dump.txt

Im running on a Dell Xps12 that has the Cypress Trackpad the 9Q23 i7 with 8GB Ram

I actually couldnt even boot with the debug kext, it kernal panics,  I had to debug in safe mode, while your version .7 would boot, but freeses.

Hi again,

I have checked your logs yesterday night, and it seems that the firmware version is v11, which is the same that in XPS 13, from what i see on the logs, it seems to load kext correctly and seems to interpret the mouse coords as it should ...

If you can, send me a screenshot/photo of the kernel panic, the only idea that comes to my mind for your problem would be a possible conflicting kext, or maybe conflicting DSDT injection/parameter ...

I have updated the debug kext just before posting the last post, so please try with that one if it was not the case.

Unfortunately, i have no XPS 12 available for testing, the only thing i can do is hint you to get it to work, since your firmware is v11, it is a known firmware so it should work as on any XPS 13/15z.

Hope that we'll solve this.

EDIT/PS: Could you also give me a list of all kexts that you have added on your system ? or a list of your /S/L/E ? You can send me all that by PM in order to not overflood main thread.

--

Ulysse31

Actually I gave it some thought, and it might be because of the custom OSx distro, I couldnt find anything that might be conflicting but I am going to reinstall the whole OS as native Mavericks and see if your Kext works, thanks for all the help, if it still does that, I will upload the information you asked.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

RehabMan's version required a daemon /usr/bin/?. Is This required for this version?

Secondly, the version on some cypress trackpad use i2c to communicate is this supported?

Thanks

jhawk

No the bin is not used, just use the kext and install prefpane (only things that are available on the googlecode page).

For the i2c, unfortunately mine is ps2, so i cannot implement something I do not have :s , so no, i2c is not supported (at least for now).

Don't even know if i2c mouse type can be implemented under osx.

Is this kext also for L502x?

Hi,

Well, if the l502x is composed of a cypress touchpad with PS2 protocol, it should work, but if its i2c, it won't work at all.

You can try by backing up your actual kexts and installing it, if your mouse move, it means that it work, even if some feature may bug (in case of unhandled new or too old firmware : have implemented various specific cases already, but, who knows, there might still some firmwares out there that I haven't tested ...), if it don't work, re-install your backed up kexts.

It does not have any specific related hardware needs besides having a cypress PS2 touchpad.

Please keep me in touch, I'm curious to know if it will work.

Cheers,

PS: Oh, and remember : you should remove all mouse related kext BEFORE installing this one (see the first post please) or it WILL kernel panic for sure ^^'

--

Ulysse31

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry for the late answer, have been professionally busy lately ...

Good Work

A question, this kext will work with a DELL N4050??

Thanks ^^

Well, Honestly, I really don't know : if this dell N4050 has a PS2 cypress touchpad (NOT I2C), it should work, and the only way to know it to try it on this computer.

I have no access on other computer than my xps 13, so cannot test all other computers.

Just test and let me know ^^.

Cheers,

--

Ulysse31

Hey Guys,

Awesome work here, seems pretty solid. I'm running an XPS13-L321x with 10.9.2 on there. I deleted any PS2 related kexts I saw and loaded v.7 via kext utility, I rebooted just fine, mouse responds just like before, and installed the pref pane. When I open up its just giving an "ApplePS2CypressTouchPad not found. -Error" I've tried the older versions, still can't seem to get any of them loaded. Not sure if there's something I'm just missing entirely -__-

Any help or ideas would be really appreciated, I'd love to get a proper trackpad working on this guy!

Hi,

Could you give me the following hints/infos :

- Where is installed the kext ? (EFI partition or S/L/E ?)

- when you do "ioreg -l | grep PS2Cypress" on a terminal, what do you get ?

Best Regards,

--

Ulysse31

I have vanilla Mavericks installed on my XPS-12 (i5 rather than i7), and my experience is similar to yours.  Cursor jumps all over the place and opens menus like crazy.  Looks like our Cypress pad is not exactly like the one installed in the 13 and 15.

I have vanilla Mavericks installed on my XPS-12 (i5 rather than i7), and my experience is similar to yours.  Cursor jumps all over the place and opens menus like crazy.  Looks like our Cypress pad is not exactly like the one installed in the 13 and 15.

I read and analyse the linux kernel source of the cypress ps2 linux driver in order to make this driver, if it is a cypress ps2 touchpad, this driver should work (at least load). BUT, in order to get real multifinger (linux drivers is limited to 2 fngers detection ...), I had to handle and patch different firmware versions to get them work up to 5 fingers. So if you got a jumping cursor this may be because you have a "unhandled" firmware (at least for now).

AGAIN, like said before, IF you get kext to load (it seems to since you have you cursor "jumping"), follow the steps explained in the FAQ of the first post : use debug kext, generate logs and send them back to me !

I have not all the computers in the world equipped with a cypress ps2 touchpad on my desk so i cannot be sure that all existing firmwares are handled by the actual sourcecode.

If you want to get it working, send me the logs once you have sucessfully loaded debug kext.

Regards,

--

Ulysse31

Hi again stu_mccudden,

No results on terminal command = no Cypress kext loaded ...

But since you still have a mouse working, that means that it detects a ps2 mouse, but NOT a cypress one (so it loads default ps2mouse driver).

Please, download the debug kext (link on first post), remove the one you have right now, and install the debug one, and run the command to generate le cypress log (also on first post).

With those logs, I would be able to get more infos about your problem.

Cheers.

--

Ulysse31