• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

pink101

pink101

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
If the MBR patch didn't work, what should i do? repeat all the steps without the patch part, or can i just undo the patch?

tlac

tlac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

I totally missed a step actually, my bad. I gotta go but ill start over later and report back!

EDIT: I got the drive bootable but now I get some kind of error, any idea what this means?

It looks you did not install the NullCPUPowerManagement.

If the MBR patch didn't work, what should i do? repeat all the steps without the patch part, or can i just undo the patch?

How do you mean by it didn't work? What's the exact problem?

Theoretically you shouldn't repeat all steps.

pink101

pink101

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

How do you mean by it didn't work? What's the exact problem?
Theoretically you shouldn't repeat all steps.

I have the same problem as rainbowkisser... it shows "The installation cannot read the mac os installation disk try cleaning the disk and trying again".... i follow all the step including the optional add patch to MBR...

so... if i want to undo the MBR patch, what step should i do? what files i should delete to undo the patch...

tlac

tlac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

I thought this problem is already resolved.

Can you show me the permissions of these files?

ls -l /media/osx86/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/OSInstall
ls -l /media/osx86/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

I'd like to fix it finally.

Anyway the MBR patch overwrite the above files

(And maybe overwrite some permissions of directories, it could be the root of the problem.)

pink101

pink101

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I thought this problem is already resolved.
Can you show me the permissions of these files?

ls -l /media/osx86/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/OSInstall
ls -l /media/osx86/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg
I'd like to fix it finally.

Anyway the MBR patch overwrite the above files
(And maybe overwrite some permissions of directories, it could be the root of the problem.)
the error is probably because i downloaded the MBR patch from osx86.net (13A598) which is older than the one on insanelymac.com(13A603) ... that's why i got the error messages.
I will try redownload the MBR patch and try it again... right now there's no intel based computer near me to tried them on...

---update---
after i patched my usb-stick using patch from insanelymac.com i still got the error...
this is the line if i put the ls command you asked:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 562576 Oct  4 16:40 /media/untitled/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/OSInstall
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 859532 Oct 21 10:04 /media/untitled/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg
Just to clarify... currently i didn't want to install maverick just yet because i don't have an empty hard drive. I just want to make sure that my installation usb-stick works. So when i tried the installer, i didn't attach any hard drive to the machine. Could this be the reason why i'm getting error messages?
an additional info: during the boot session there's a line that said: BootCacheControl: Unable to open /var/db/bootcache.playlist:2 No such file or directory... but after that the boot process continue and keep running until the gui start.

Marmite

Marmite

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Coding, Climbing, Photography and Energy Drinks.
Perfect instructions; a great big thankyou!

I'm too currently having the "The installation cannot read the mac os installation disk try cleaning the disk and trying again" issue - and that's without the MBR patch. I'm currently trying to install on my desktop (new build) whilst typing this on my laptop.

In case it is permissions (which the installation log would suggest*) - I'm going to try disk utility to see if repairing the permissions from the installer and restarting works. It's worth a shot! If that doesn't work I'll post the output from ls -l; that said - does anyone have the correct permissions/ownership from a verified working install media for me to try?

If it's any help - the installer log says "Install's runner tool is not properly configured as a setuid tool". 

Doh, Unsurprisingly I couldn't do it via Disk Utility in the installation. So I checked the permissions from my laptop, and there below. I've also checked other .pkg files and they all have the same permissions; weird.

~$ ls -l /media/osx86/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/OSInstall
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 558640 Dec  8 19:22 /media/osx86/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/OSInstall

~$ ls -l /media/osx86/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 727986 Dec  8 19:56 /media/osx86/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   94456030 Dec  8 19:25 AdditionalEssentials.pkg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  434183028 Dec  8 19:25 AdditionalSpeechVoices.pkg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    1102405 Dec  8 19:25 AsianLanguagesSupport.pkg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  281410906 Dec  8 19:28 BaseSystemBinaries.pkg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    2284277 Dec  8 19:28 BaseSystemResources.pkg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  304995540 Dec  8 19:29 BSD.pkg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3191643424 Dec  8 19:54 Essentials.pkg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root       2613 Dec  8 19:54 InstallableMachines.plist
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    2472385 Dec  8 19:54 JavaEssentials.pkg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root      20686 Dec  8 19:54 JavaTools.pkg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  345478377 Dec  8 19:56 MediaFiles.pkg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     727986 Dec  8 19:56 OSInstall.mpkg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root       2254 Dec  8 19:56 OSInstall.pkg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root        839 Dec  8 19:56 OSUpgrade.pkg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  140468300 Dec  8 19:57 OxfordDictionaries.pkg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     581484 Dec  8 19:57 X11redirect.pkg

tlac

tlac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

I've also seen the setuid error when my installer didn't work. But I did not find problems.

But now I checked all setuid files on a correct installer and maybe I found some interesting on different place.

ls System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner

-rwsr-sr-x 1 root root 57744 Sep 21 05:37 runner

It is worth a shot to set it:

chmod 6755 System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner

Marmite

Marmite

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

I've also seen the setuid error when my installer didn't work. But I did not find problems.

But now I checked all setuid files on a correct installer and maybe I found some interesting on different place.

ls System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner

-rwsr-sr-x 1 root root 57744 Sep 21 05:37 runner

It is worth a shot to set it:

chmod 6755 System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner

Aha, that's changed the error completely! I'm getting one about "Installation Checks Failed" - which could well be the very nature of hackintosh and my hardware - so in actual fact that may well have fixed the error...  :)

tlac

tlac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

So do you think it is independent from the topic?

When did you get the error? Are there more in logs?

Marmite

Marmite

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

So do you think it is independent from the topic?

When did you get the error? Are there more in logs?

I suspect it could well be my hardware from here on. Everything is on the HCL; but from my last little hackintosh adventures I remember things getting a little confusing at times..  :P

When I boot in to the installer I get a message that Mac OS X cannot be installed, but I can restore from a backup if I want. Going to the installation log is pretty rubbish - as it just says "Installation checks failed"; whilst booting in verbose mode shows no hardware issues. However, I can do everything else through the USB drive - terminal, disk utility, system information and time-machine backups. So I think the USB is OK!

tlac

tlac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

I see. I suggest installing the MBR patch. Maybe it will solve this problem as well and of course check the setuid things ;)

noaviary

noaviary

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I get the error message: "There was a problem reading the Mac OS X Installation disc. Carefully clean the disc, and then try reinstalling." See the attached Installer Log below. Any suggestions?

Attached Files

tlac

tlac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

I get the error message: "There was a problem reading the Mac OS X Installation disc. Carefully clean the disc, and then try reinstalling." See the attached Installer Log below. Any suggestions?

Try this:

sudo chmod 6755 /media/osx86/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner

If it helps, I will extend the guide.

noaviary

noaviary

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Changing the permissions on the file: "runner" fixed the initial problem, and I was able to install OS X in VMWare. However, now it will boot from the virtual disk, but it shuts down immediately without any errors. I tried Safe Mode, which displays the progress bar, but then also shuts down. I used Disk Utility on the USB Drive to check the Virtual Disk, and it passed all checks. Any help is greatly appreciated...

noaviary

noaviary

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I realized I only need a standard bootable Mavericks Mac OS X 10.9 Flash Drive for installing in an unlocked VMWare Host.

I re-created my USB drive using the scripts below, which exclude any scripts that modify a standard Mac Bootable Drive.

I sucessfully installed Mac OS X 10.9 on my virtual machine.

sudo mount -t hfsplus -o force,rw /dev/sdb1 /media/MAVERICKS
cd /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/SharedSupport/
md5sum InstallESD.dmg
7z x InstallESD.dmg InstallMacOSX.pkg/InstallESD.dmg
cd InstallMacOSX.pkg/
7z x InstallESD.dmg 3.hfs
rm InstallESD.dmg
sudo mkdir /mnt/osx
sudo mount -o loop 3.hfs /mnt/osx/
mkdir base
cd base
7z x /mnt/osx/BaseSystem.dmg 3.hfs
sudo mkdir /mnt/base
sudo mount -o loop 3.hfs /mnt/base/
sudo cp -r /mnt/base/. /media/MAVERICKS
sudo rm /media/MAVERICKS/System/Installation/Packages
sudo cp -r /mnt/osx/Packages /media/MAVERICKS/System/Installation
sudo umount /mnt/base
sudo rmdir /mnt/base
sudo umount /mnt/osx
sudo rmdir /mnt/osx
cd /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallMacOSX.pkg/base/
cd ../../
rm -r InstallMacOSX.pkg
mkdir kernel
cd kernel
sudo 7z x -so /media/MAVERICKS/System/Installation/Packages/BaseSystemBinaries.pkg Payload | bunzip2 | cpio -i
sudo cp mach_kernel /media/MAVERICKS/
cd ..
rm -r -f kernel/
sudo chmod 6755 System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner

tlac

tlac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Thanks, I added a little bit troubleshooting section into the first post.

Anyway I use Virtualbox. If you follow my guide, the installer will run in Virtualbox.

MP2E

MP2E

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello! I have a few additions to this guide that I would like to post, as they might come in handy for some of you. If you want to virtualize Mac OS X 10.9(10.9.1 works as well) and you don't want to use a USB, look no further. Because of the way Unix, and therefore Linux, treats block devices(like hard-drives, or in this case a USB) we can use a file instead of an 8GB USB to be our "harddrive" for our installer to the virtual machine.

First, we must create our blank file. Open up a terminal in your favorite Linux distribution and type in the following:

dd if=/dev/zero of=macosxinstall.hdd bs=1048576 count=8192

This will create an 8GB file containing entirely zeroes. Not useful in its current state, but bear with me

# root is required for these next commands, sudo may work
losetup /dev/loop macosxinstall.hdd
gparted /dev/loop0

This will bind the 8GB file we just created to device /dev/loop0. This will allow us to interface with macosxinstall.hdd as if it were a USB or hard drive. gparted will allow you to partition this file just as it entails in tlac's guide(MS-DOS Partition Table, HFS+ Partition covering the whole space). Click apply then exit.

From here, simply mount the loop device with:

mount /dev/loop0p1 /media/osx86

Make sure the folder you mount to exists!

From here, you can just follow tlac's guide, replacing /dev/sdb with /dev/loop0 and /dev/sdb1 with /dev/loop0p1

Once finished with all of the steps in his guide, simply type the following commands(as root):

umount /media/osx86
losetup -D

This will unmount the volume and stop the loop device from pointing at macosxinstall.hdd. From here, we can use this hdd as a standard hard drive in any VM program. I did get Virtualbox to boot the resulting image, but I could not get it to boot into the OS after I installed it. Fortunately, VMWare Workstation 10 works perfectly well, once run with the unlocker program.

In your VM make sure you have 2 hard drives, the macosxinstall.hdd hard drive we just created, and a new drive created in the virtual machine program to install our disk to. Boot from the macosxinstall.hdd partition to start off, and then you can remove it once you have installed OS X to your VM-created hard drive. From there you only need your VM-created hard drive, but keep macosxinstall.hdd around just in case you need to reinstall!

Hope this helps anyone :)

tlac

tlac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Thank you.

From here, we can use this hdd as a standard hard drive in any VM program. I did get Virtualbox to boot the resulting image, but I could not get it to boot into the OS after I installed it. Fortunately, VMWare Workstation 10 works perfectly well, once run with the unlocker program.

Probably you should have booted again into the installer and installed the Chameleon and other stuff.

faisal6309

faisal6309

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

I can't extract my .dmg file. How can I do that in Ubuntu?? I download it from torrent.

Thank you.

Probably you should have booted again into the installer and installed the Chameleon and other stuff.

I have only one .dmg file on Lion. I am unable to extract that file. It says that "archive type not supported". What can I do?

Also where I can get the image file so I can create bootable usb.

tlac

tlac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

I can't extract my .dmg file. How can I do that in Ubuntu?? I download it from torrent.

What is the exact problem?
Check more carefully the first post in this topic.

The App Store is recommended source to download it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mavericks, USB, Linux, installer, 10.9

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy