59 replies to this topic

ameris_cyning

ameris_cyning

I don't know what to write here

• Donators
  • 956 posts
  • Interests:OSx86, female anatomy, electronic music, Clover EFI

hi all   :)

sorry if this is OFF-TOPIC (don't worry, it will be easy to remove it  :D )

but I have a question...

...Apple would have been out of ideas when they met to give a name to their last OS X?

Spoiler

:lol:

Ubuntu names are stupid as {censored}

level70steve

level70steve

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

My input is simply how I was educated growing up.  No computer was running any Linux distro or other Unix operating system when I was still attending middle school and high school.  It was a fierce competition between Windows 95/98 and Mac OS 7/9/X.  The main thing though was that I was not afraid to learn from both.  I did run Kubuntu one time but it seemed a little complicated to me since I never knew where to go to get drivers.

jhoni98

jhoni98

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

each OS has its strengths and weaknesses! apple is great but also linux is good too,

http://iwillfolo.blo...n-mac-os-x.html

this article helped me see the pros and cons for each OS perhaps it will help you too. :angel:

chadfran

chadfran

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Android / Linux / Graphics / Newly Os X
    droid-hive.com
Linux and it's not even close. It runs nearly everything we use. It just works. Watch this video.

Alessandro17

Alessandro17

Chief of Security

• Administrators
  • 8,312 posts

Well, nobody can disagree with that, but: when most people think of operating systems, they have desktop operating systems in mind, and nobody can deny that Linux has less than 2% market share. That could of course change if a large company (and no, Canonical is not a large company) created a good distribution, easy to use, with very few bugs and which could support important applications, especially games (could it be Valve?).

On a side note, there are people who are convinced that Android is not Linux (yes, even in this forum).

chadfran

chadfran

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Android / Linux / Graphics / Newly Os X
    droid-hive.com

Well, nobody can disagree with that, but: when most people think of operating systems, they have desktop operating systems in mind, and nobody can deny that Linux has less than 2% market share. That could of course change if a large company (and no, Canonical is not a large company) created a good distribution, easy to use, with very few bugs and which could support important applications, especially games (could it be Valve?).

On a side note, there are people who are convinced that Android is not Linux (yes, even in this forum).

I agree. This is something that bothers Linus the most as he says in this video and a few others if you watch on youtube. However i feel that in the last year they have made great leaps imo. The last linux mint release is as good as anything ive ever ran. Out of the box on my desktop it is amazing. Like he might say in this video is that the biggest part of linux not being on the desktop as an end user product is because only a very small portion of the population (like us) is willing to go online get an iso file and install their own os. They buy it with the os that is on there and run it. For linux to be competitive they would have to start going in as preinstalls. Such as chromeOS in the chromebooks(which is the best $250 ive spent for a school book). 

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=KFKxlYNfT_o

vbetts

vbetts

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

I would say it depends on what you're doing.

For gaming, out of the two I would say Mac giving the reasons that there is Steam(Yes there is Steam for Linux, but support is still not as big as Mac's support) and major developers are supporting Mac some more.

Emulation gaming, is a different story, I would easily go the Linux route. Dolphin on Linux for example shows better promise compared to the Mac version.

Server work, Linux.

Media development, Mac.

General everyday computer tasks such as web browsing, for some type of actual official support I would say Linux based on cost alone. You could build a supported Ubuntu desktop for way less compared what you can buy for a Mac.(Not talking hackintosh either!)

That being said, my current HTPC has XBMC on it and runs great.

Mikethebike

Mikethebike

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

I'm very happy with Ubuntu 14.04. Very easy to use and lots of games. I only boot OSX and Win8 to recompile my apps. I use Photoshop,

Dreamweaver, Rage, Wolfenstein etc. with Wine 1.6. No problems at all and I use Photoshop 7 almost every day.

JahStories

JahStories

InsanelyMac Legend

• Local Moderators
  • 1,157 posts
  • Interests:Everything that got a screen on it, skateboarding, reggae music, PowerPcs, Amigas and retrogamin...

i think that on powerpc macs OsX is better than linux.

But not on x86.

Mikethebike

Mikethebike

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

PPC is way outdated. Even if software would still support it, it would be slow as a turtle.

Same for OpenGL. On Mavericks I'm stuck with OpenGL 2.1, but on Linux I use OpenGL 4.* for years!

Honestly, if I wouldn't need to recompile stuff, I wouldn't even bother to install OSX. For me proprietary

OS are obsolete.

Maniac10

Maniac10

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Mavericks supports OpenGL 4.1…

iFIRE

iFIRE

InsanelyMacaholic

• Moderators
  • 3,775 posts

Attached File  Captura de pantalla 2014-05-22 a la(s) 18.47.22.png   169.7KB   4 downloads  :yes:

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,894 posts

Linux is great, but desktop Linux is its weakest spot. And it's definitely no contest against the best (and since Mountain Lion, it's again getting better every iteration) desktop OS ever made. Hats off (no "red" pun intended) to what Linux achieved against all odds in that short a time, but saying it's a better desktop OS than OS X is not just "an opinion": it's plain ideological (a.k.a. "fanboi") nonsense.

P.S.: yes, in this case with an "i".

P.P.S.: Read this: http://mikemcquaid.c...y-i-left-linux/

And this: http://batsov.com/ar...on-the-desktop/

And this: http://batsov.com/ar...x-1-year-later/

And finally this: http://tirania.org/b...013/Mar-05.html

Alessandro17

Alessandro17

Chief of Security

• Administrators
  • 8,312 posts

What you often hear from people (and I don't mean Joe User) who have moved to OS X is that its desktop is absolutely great.

Who could deny that?

KDE 4xx, Gnome 3, Unity, which kind of crap is that? One day arrogant Linux developers lost their mind and decided that decent, perfectly usable desktop environments like KDE 3.5 or Gnome 2 were no longer good. I don't mean that there shouldn't be any innovation, but not wild experimentation for the sake of it, even when so many of your users are screaming that you are going down the wrong path.

Fortunately some devs were sane enough to realize that something needed to be done and began to create decent DEs again, like Mate or Cinammon.

KDE 4 is a lost cause. The best which can be done is to customize it so that it looks and behaves more like old KDE 3.5. This has been done mainly by the Mandriva family of derivatives.

peterwan

peterwan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Firstly this is why i like all the OS out there

if you really want to be a good developer use Linux you will learn more coz Linux is such a pain in the neck :) there are

times when your Linux system goes down and there is no one to help you and you

are desperate you need to fix that problem soon. This is how i came to know what really is a computer before Linux i thought

computers were just a boom box :D

some years back i only came to know about bootloaders using Linux coz i was trying to duel boot with windows

Windows is for gamers as a hard core yes i am a hard core gamer :D and people who wants there career as a game developer and make there living

Mac os x is for people who wants a computer which is very easy, hassel free to use

Sorry for my bad English :(

fakea648

fakea648

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

What you often hear from people (and I don't mean Joe User) who have moved to OS X is that its desktop is absolutely great.

Who could deny that?

KDE 4xx, Gnome 3, Unity, which kind of {censored} is that? One day arrogant Linux developers lost their mind and decided that decent, perfectly usable desktop environments like KDE 3.5 or Gnome 2 were no longer good. I don't mean that there shouldn't be any innovation, but not wild experimentation for the sake of it, even when so many of your users are screaming that you are going down the wrong path.

Fortunately some devs were sane enough to realize that something needed to be done and began to create decent DEs again, like Mate or Cinammon.

KDE 4 is a lost cause. The best which can be done is to customize it so that it looks and behaves more like old KDE 3.5. This has been done mainly by the Mandriva family of derivatives.

Yes the desktop is absolutely great, however I fear it will soon be "was great",--since Apples idea of "innovation" is bastardizing the OS X desktop into an inbred hybrid mobile/tablet iOS pseudo-desktop which will be forced onto us. It's all downhill from here, brother.

Seems like no matter where you look, windows, mac, linux, developers are so .....desperate? ...to "innovate" something new they're flushing the traditional desktop down the toilet, and coming up with these "wild experiments for the sake of it" just like you say. 

Yes the mobile scene is great, but so is the desktop scene. The obsession with merging the two is where things turn into {censored}, they are different platforms and need to be treated as such.

Maniac10

Maniac10

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Yes the desktop is absolutely great, however I fear it will soon be "was great",--since Apples idea of "innovation" is bastardizing the OS X desktop into an inbred hybrid mobile/tablet iOS pseudo-desktop which will be forced onto us. It's all downhill from here, brother.

I don't see that at all. Maybe you're thinking of Windows?

Alessandro17

Alessandro17

Chief of Security

• Administrators
  • 8,312 posts

I am using Yosemite DP4 as my main OS and I don't find anything wrong at all with it. Apple is very careful with innovation when it comes to operating systems.

fantomas1

fantomas1

InsanelyMacaholic

• Supervisors
  • 2,789 posts
KDE 4xx, Gnome 3, Unity, which kind of crap is that?

since the time I have trouble getting used to this trio  :no:

Windows is for gamers as a hard core

developers don't want anymore building games for OS X. Why?

the only culprit is boot camp

I use Windows only for that. When we'll see more hard core games on OS X, I'll say goodbye for good to Windows  :yes:

but this only concerns me  ^_^

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,894 posts

The only "modern" games I really enjoy are Amnesia and Rome Total War, which I didn't have time to beat, thus will enjoy for a long time yet. Since they both have OS X versions, I don't have to keep Windows for that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy