I irrationally want a Mac mini

6 posts in this topic

Hi.

I have around €1200 of extra money on the side and thought I'd get a real Apple desktop as soon as it'd happen to me. The thing is my MacBook Pro is doing fine and my Hackintosh too. Plus my hackintosh has the plus sides of having a Blu-ray burner and a decent graphics card. The thing is, it's now 3 years old, and that was the age of my other computers when they "died". Plus, a SATA port fell off the motherboard last week.

I was thinking of getting an i7 Mac mini as well as an OWC Data Doubler and a 256 GB Samsung 840 or Crucial M4 SSD to setup a DIY Fusion Drive (Apple's option here in France only gives you a 128 GB SSD for almost the price of a 512 GB one). The things that appeal me so much are the i7 processor and the USB 3 ports

Am I crazy, just a geek or fanboy? Should I get one or put the money on the side and get a new hack once it dies?

Thanks for your advice.

No: if you have the money and the desire, get your Mni. :)

P.S.: A SATA port fell from my ECS A780LM-M2 in the very first day of use. I simply put it back, and it works without issues now. But you have to be sure to fit the five copper wires exactly to the correct places of the port (not leaving two of them in the same hole etc. It's really not that difficult to do, but it's definitely not for the shy user.

If you can get a Mac, get it by no means! However it could be Mac Book Air (it won't be i7, but still quite fast and has SSD).

Or it could be this http://www.dell.com/...en&s=dhs&~ck=mn "want to be iMac" from Dell :)

No, no MacBook Air for me as I already have an Apple notebook (a 2011 13" MacBook Pro) and I want a desktop. I guess I'll pick it up on monday, as soon as my credit card restrictions leave.

Hmmm... Went to the store today, turns out, you can't pay with a check from €500 and up, and I don't know if my bank will remove my monthly credit card restrictions on monday april 1st since it's Easter. With my 3 year membership I'm getting 5% off any hardware + I earn points on their fidelity program (about €20 worth for a €800 purchase, which means I'm saving about €70 in total). I also wanted to get a 2 TB Time capsule for my MacBook Pro, seems only Apple themselves raised the price of their own hardware after the Government raised taxes on data storage. Good thing, means I can get it for €270 instead of €316 in Apple retail stores.

• 8 months later...