New Driver for Realtek RTL8111

Mieze
1,592 posts in this topic

Yes it's working but not with all chipsets. At least with one version of the RTL8111C WoL isn't working as wastez reported some time ago. Unfortunately he didn't told me which chipset he is using and I can't reproduce the behavior with my RTL8111E (chipset 16).

Please take a look at the kernel messages and post the chipset. Do you have a linux installation on your Hackintosh too? In case you have, could you please download Realtek's r8168 driver from their homepage and test if WoL is working with it under linux? You can get the source code of the r8168 driver here: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Mieze

Thanks for your (quick) response.

I will try to see if compiling works on ArchLinux, does the kernel driver not support WOL?

Chipset: Realtek® 8111E

I will let you know. :)

I will try to see if compiling works on ArchLinux, does the kernel driver not support WOL?

My driver is based on Realtek's r8168 driver. I asked for the test in order to find out if it's an inherited weakness or if I have to review my own code.

Chipset: Realtek® 8111E

I need the exact chipset number because there are 3 different versions of the 8111E (chipsets 14, 15 and 16).

Mieze

Users having problems with WoL (system does not wake up) might try the attached version and report back if it resolves the issue.

Good luck!

Mieze

Thanks Mieze, will try to provide you my chipset type today.. stupid question: how to find out?

Thanks Mieze, will try to provide you my chipset type today.. stupid question: how to find out?

You will find a line like

Ethernet [RealtekRTL8111]: RTL8168B/8111B: (Chipset 1) at 0xffffff81d4ec6000

in /var/log/system.log.

Please also try the version I posted yesterday!!!

Mieze

• Like 1

You will find a line like

Ethernet [RealtekRTL8111]: RTL8168B/8111B: (Chipset 1) at 0xffffff81d4ec6000

in /var/log/system.log.

Please also try the version I posted yesterday!!!

Mieze

30-08-13 16:01:52,000 kernel[0]: Ethernet [RealtekRTL8111]: RTL8168E/8111E: (Chipset 14) at 0xffffff******, ...

Users having problems with WoL (system does not wake up) might try the attached version and report back if it resolves the issue.

Is there really no one with WoL problems who tried the code I posted a few days before?

Mieze

PS: I will be in Spain to visit a friend next week so that I won't be able to respond to support requests between the 9th and the 16th of september.

Is there really no one with WoL problems who tried the code I posted a few days before?

Mieze

PS: I will be in Spain to visit a friend next week so that I won't be able to respond to support requests between the 9th and the 16th of september.

Hi Mieze,

Not a big issue, but I tested WOL but it didn't work (with the latest posted version). It simple doesn't wake-up when shutting-down in OS X. I read some posts from Linux users, they have the same issue.

It seems that something isn't set, which is being set in Windows. I don't remember the flag, but I will try to Google..

Anyway, hope you have a good time in Spain and till the 17th of september. :)

With this kext I'm unable to use kernel flag npci=0x2000 or 0x3000. I get KP.

Without it works but no verbose output after [PCI Configuration]

As I didn't have much time to spent on that issue I wasn't able to find out what exactly npci=0x2000 does but I read that it influences the configuration of PCI bridge devices probably enabling/disabling prefetchability of the memory space behind the bridge. As the driver uses the NICs memory mapped address space in order to access the chip this might explain why there is an issue.

A quick search on that topic seems to indicate that actually only a few systems really need it in order to boot and that it could be a DSDT related issue. I assume that you are using a bootloader of the Chameleon family? Have you also tried to boot your system with Clover?

Mieze

Mieze

Hi all,

I'm trying to install Mieze's Realtek driver, but I don't know how. Could someone please explain with some instructions? I've read through the first three and last three posts of this thread to see if there were any installation instructions for less advanced users like me. :P

I downloaded the driver's pre-built binary for Mountain Lion from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/88-realtekrtl8111-binaryzip/

I heard that I can install the driver by using Kext Wizard to install RealtekRTL8111.kext -- but within the binary ZIP file, I don't see any file named RealtekRTL8111.kext.

Thanks in advance for your help!

(Some background: I'm installing Mieze's driver because I moved my computer (which doesn't have wifi) to a different house, and although it could connect to the router and access the router's config page, it couldn't connect to the internet. So I deleted RealtekRTL81xx.kext from S/L/E, used Kext Wizard to repair permissions and rebuild cache, then under System Prefs/Network I deleted the "Ethernet" service, then rebooted, then installed the Lnx2Mac Realtek driver, then used Kext Wizard again to repair permissions and rebuild cache, then rebooted; and then when I went back to System Prefs/Network to create a new "Ethernet" service, the system froze a few seconds after I hit "Apply"; and then on subsequent boots the system would freeze at the Mac OS X login screen if I had the ethernet cable plugged in, but the system would boot up normally if I did not have the ethernet cable plugged in.)

Hi all,

I'm trying to install Mieze's Realtek driver, but I don't know how. Could someone please explain with some instructions? I've read through the first three and last three posts of this thread to see if there were any installation instructions for less advanced users like me. :P

I downloaded the driver's pre-built binary for Mountain Lion from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/88-realtekrtl8111-binaryzip/

I heard that I can install the driver by using Kext Wizard to install RealtekRTL8111.kext -- but within the binary ZIP file, I don't see any file named RealtekRTL8111.kext.

Thanks in advance for your help!

(Some background: I'm installing Mieze's driver because I moved my computer (which doesn't have wifi) to a different house, and although it could connect to the router and access the router's config page, it couldn't connect to the internet. So I deleted RealtekRTL81xx.kext from S/L/E, used Kext Wizard to repair permissions and rebuild cache, then under System Prefs/Network I deleted the "Ethernet" service, then rebooted, then installed the Lnx2Mac Realtek driver, then used Kext Wizard again to repair permissions and rebuild cache, then rebooted; and then when I went back to System Prefs/Network to create a new "Ethernet" service, the system froze a few seconds after I hit "Apply"; and then on subsequent boots the system would freeze at the Mac OS X login screen if I had the ethernet cable plugged in, but the system would boot up normally if I did not have the ethernet cable plugged in.)

There are detailed instructions in the first post of this thread. The binary archive contains subdirectories with different versions of the driver. Use the most recent version of the driver which is 1.1.2. For normal use the release build is best while the debug build should be used in order to collect information when trying to track down problems or filing a bug report.

Of course you'll have to remove the lnx2mac driver first before installing RealtekRTL8111.kext or you'll might run into trouble.

Mieze

Hi Mieze, thanks for your fast reply. I see where I was absent-minded -- I had downloaded both RTL8111_driver_for_OS_X-master.zip and RealtekRTL8111-Binary.zip, but was looking at the contents of RTL8111_driver_for_OS_X-master.zip.

I'm going to install your kext now and see if it fixes the problem!

I installed 1.1.2 according to the instructions, and shut down my computer, and then booted it up; I went to System Prefs > Network to add the service "Ethernet"; a few seconds after hitting "Apply," the system froze (even the mouse cursor froze). I forcibly shut down the computer, then booted up again; once booted up, I went to System Prefs > Network, and "Ethernet" didn't appear in the list, so once again I tried to add the service "Ethernet," then clicked "Apply," then a few seconds later the system froze again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! My computer has been working normally for the past few months, and I really don't know why at this new location I wasn't able to connect to the Internet (although at the new location, before I began this troubleshooting process, I was able to connect to the router, so I know the cable and hardware are fine).

Thanks!

I installed 1.1.2 according to the instructions, and shut down my computer, and then booted it up; I went to System Prefs > Network to add the service "Ethernet"; a few seconds after hitting "Apply," the system froze (even the mouse cursor froze). I forcibly shut down the computer, then booted up again; once booted up, I went to System Prefs > Network, and "Ethernet" didn't appear in the list, so once again I tried to add the service "Ethernet," then clicked "Apply," then a few seconds later the system froze again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! My computer has been working normally for the past few months, and I really don't know why at this new location I wasn't able to connect to the Internet (although at the new location, before I began this troubleshooting process, I was able to connect to the router, so I know the cable and hardware are fine).

Thanks!

Please post your kernel logs and an IOReg dump. Which version of OS X do you use?

Mieze

Hi Mieze, thank you for your offer to help. I found a temporary solution -- connecting my Hackintosh to my MacBook Pro via FireWire, and then enabling Internet Sharing on the MacBook Pro.

Next week, after I have finished some client projects on my Hackintosh, I will try upgrading my OS from 10.8.4 to 10.8.5 to see if that fixes the Ethernet problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, can you guys tell me what is the main difference between this driver and lnx2mac one ? I will try the latest version of this driver on Friday hopefully.

Thx guys.

Hi guys! I'm using the original AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext (installed in latest - unmodified - IONetworkingFamily.kext's plugin folder) without any problem. Can I get any benefits (better performance or something) by using this new kext? Or this kext made only for people who can't get their ethernet work with original apple kexts?

Hi guys! I'm using the original AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext (installed in latest - unmodified - IONetworkingFamily.kext's plugin folder) without any problem. Can I get any benefits (better performance or something) by using this new kext? Or this kext made only for people who can't get their ethernet work with original apple kexts?

For some people, like me, AppleRTL8169Ethernet would cause system throughly waking up after sleeping. While Mieze's version wouldn't.

FYI - This driver addressed performance & kernel panics issues that I had with the Lnx2Mac RTL .0.9 driver. For large transfers to my local NAS (over 20~30 GB sessions) I would see numerous errors logged in Console (below) and eventually the system would freeze.  

kernel[0]: [en0:rtl8168_interrupt] Too much work at interrupt!

After following the install instructions on page 1 the errors disappeared and performance is up.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...