[Guide] ML on Acer Aspire TimelineX 4830TG (3830TG or 5830TG)

superb921

110 posts in this topic

Wow, that's great! Thanks again superb921. It would also be great if you could tell me how to dualboot Windows 8 and OS X on our laptops.. I've tried numerous ways to fix the boot0 error with the Windows 8 USB's cmd prompt (bootrec) but they would not detect a valid installation of Windows nor detect the boot files themselves in order to repair them. When I boot into Windows, EasyBCD doesn't detect the boot files either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can any one make a specific section inside this post for people who has the intel i3-2350M 2,30GHz with only HD3000?  Because this laptop don't work well/full like the i5 version. And we need specific configuration/kext/DSDT (I think the DSDT specific to this core i3 laptop is the first thing we need to get) to get this computer working full like the i5 version. To know what kext/configuration works with i3 or i5 or if it works in both. Thanks a lot, and sorry about muy English. 

Can any one make a specific section inside this post for people who has the intel i3-2350M 2,30GHz with only HD3000?  Because this laptop don't work well/full like the i5 version. And we need specific configuration/kext/DSDT (I think the DSDT specific to this core i3 laptop is the first thing we need to get) to get this computer working full like the i5 version. To know what kext/configuration works with i3 or i5 or if it works in both. Thanks a lot, and sorry about muy English. 

I've been trying to make a DSDT for the i3-2310M but have had no success. On my i3 3830TG, everything is working except for the brightness controls and the trackpad kexts. I've used VoodooHDA for Audio and Voodoo Battery for the battery. WiFi works OOB, and the bluetooth kext in the OP works great. My specific model is an Acer 3830TG-6412 (Core i3-2310m, GT540m + HD3000)

Well for starters, I found SSDT for your processor. Still looking for a working DSDT for y'all

I've been trying to make a DSDT for the i3-2310M but have had no success. On my i3 3830TG, everything is working except for the brightness controls and the trackpad kexts. I've used VoodooHDA for Audio and Voodoo Battery for the battery. WiFi works OOB, and the bluetooth kext in the OP works great. My specific model is an Acer 3830TG-6412 (Core i3-2310m, GT540m + HD3000)

Try the new trackpad kext, backup all the related (PS2) kexts

I have question: 
I see added in first post package of kext for 5830tg if in future i,ll install mac on 5830tg again i should use this kext package instead "4830TG kext"? Or this is some addon for my notebook?

And thanks for bluetooth and HDMI Audio kexts! Works!

Tomorrow i'll check on Windows 8 my microphone because still don't work

Since my bootloader for Windows 8 is completely screwed over, I want to start from scratch and re-partition my HDD. Should I make 2 Partitions, 1 for Win, one for OS X, and install OSX first then Win 8 in order to Dual boot properly or is there another way? Thanks.

Since my bootloader for Windows 8 is completely screwed over, I want to start from scratch and re-partition my HDD. Should I make 2 Partitions, 1 for Win, one for OS X, and install OSX first then Win 8 in order to Dual boot properly or is there another way? Thanks.

Yes, OSX first then Win8 should do the trick.

I have question: 

I see added in first post package of kext for 5830tg if in future i,ll install mac on 5830tg again i should use this kext package instead "4830TG kext"? Or this is some addon for my notebook?

And thanks for bluetooth and HDMI Audio kexts! Works!

Tomorrow i'll check on Windows 8 my microphone because still don't work

Yes, if your are reinstalling, please give it a try.

About my problem with microphone: Yeah, mic didn't worked on Win8 too... Before instalation Mac my notebook was in service and somebody didn't plug microphone on motherboard... Today i spreaded my notebook plugged in and everything works :) So forgive me about writing about this "problem" at least once per month... ;)

And touchpad works too! It wasn't bad kext but me...I had press once Fn+F7 which disable touchpad...now everything works fine...what's wrong with me?

Maybe except one: Battery works, but I always have "Needs repair". And on Mac works with battery ~3h. On Win8 it was minimum ~4-5h. Of course I'm talking about web, office etc not playing games.

Ok, I started again, from the beginning.

- Sleep dont work, wake up quick one second after sleep.

- Bright control don't work.

- The new bluetooth kext dont work

- Elan touch pad function only with basic functions, scroll up-down with two fingers only.

- Card reader dont work.

I have used ssdt only because I dont have SSDT for i3 2350 yet.

I think I still need the correct SSDT for this things to work. Or I need different kexts?

Thanks, I`ll continue to get a fully system.

So, after a bit of rage at my laptop (BIOS got corrupted somehow after I switched from iGPU to Switchable in BIOS), I'm back up and dual booting OS X and Win 8. Still have the same issues on OS X - no brightness control. Also, I tried the 3830tg Trackpad Kexts in the OP and they worked but the trackpad isn't identified as a trackpad in System Preferences (I need to get this working, Multitouch is key in OS X). Also is there anyway to Boot into OSX while leaving graphics as switchable in the BIOS because when I do, the laptop hangs just after setWOW_Parameters and does nothing. Works after I put it back to iGPU. I did choose disable Nvidia GPU in the installation but it may have been modified when I updated to 10.8.4, does anyone know how to disable the Nvidia GPU manually? Thanks

About my problem with microphone: Yeah, mic didn't worked on Win8 too... Before instalation Mac my notebook was in service and somebody didn't plug microphone on motherboard... Today i spreaded my notebook plugged in and everything works :) So forgive me about writing about this "problem" at least once per month... ;)

And touchpad works too! It wasn't bad kext but me...I had press once Fn+F7 which disable touchpad...now everything works fine...what's wrong with me?

Maybe except one: Battery works, but I always have "Needs repair". And on Mac works with battery ~3h. On Win8 it was minimum ~4-5h. Of course I'm talking about web, office etc not playing games.

Yup haha. As for battery, make sure you have nVidia turn off. Battery drainage is normal, go to About this Mac>More info>System Reports>Power: see if your full capacity is low.

Ok, I started again, from the beginning.

- Sleep dont work, wake up quick one second after sleep.

- Bright control don't work.

- The new bluetooth kext dont work

- Elan touch pad function only with basic functions, scroll up-down with two fingers only.

- Card reader dont work.

I have used ssdt only because I dont have SSDT for i3 2350 yet.

I think I still need the correct SSDT for this things to work. Or I need different kexts?

Thanks, I`ll continue to get a fully system.

Yea, you def need DSDT and SSDT for sleep, brightness to function. DSDT is in charge of brightness and sleep. SSDT is for your processor.

There is a brightness control workaround i mentioned a couple posts back.

Bluetooth: press Fn+F3 a couple times with System Preferences open.

Touchpad: You can change which function is enabled and which is not (see update 1)

Card Reader: There are currently no working kext for the card reader, stay tune.

So, after a bit of rage at my laptop (BIOS got corrupted somehow after I switched from iGPU to Switchable in BIOS), I'm back up and dual booting OS X and Win 8. Still have the same issues on OS X - no brightness control. Also, I tried the 3830tg Trackpad Kexts in the OP and they worked but the trackpad isn't identified as a trackpad in System Preferences (I need to get this working, Multitouch is key in OS X). Also is there anyway to Boot into OSX while leaving graphics as switchable in the BIOS because when I do, the laptop hangs just after setWOW_Parameters and does nothing. Works after I put it back to iGPU. I did choose disable Nvidia GPU in the installation but it may have been modified when I updated to 10.8.4, does anyone know how to disable the Nvidia GPU manually? Thanks

Did you hack your bios? because corruption is not common since this install rarely touch the bios.

I will continue looking for a working kext for 3830tg. 

Yes, apple overwrite the boot with disable nvidia gpu on the 10.8.3 update. The only way to boot is to disable nvidia from bios until i found a working kext to disable it during booting.

Yup haha. As for battery, make sure you have nVidia turn off. Battery drainage is normal, go to About this Mac>More info>System Reports>Power: see if your full capacity is low.

I have turned on integrated graphic card option and i check battery in system reports and i see "An error occurred during collecting that information." (translated from polish - i'm not sure how looks that error in english)

I have turned on integrated graphic card option and i check battery in system reports and i see "An error occurred during collecting that information." (translated from polish - i'm not sure how looks that error in english)

It's probably because you are using voodoo battery. You could try and see how your battery performs under windows first.

If  you want to get native battery working you will need to select apple battery during iATKOS installation (or find the corresponding kext).

I'm still need a DSDT for Core i3 2350 with only HD3000. No body has this DSDT, I had searched the whole Internet, and I don't find a proper DSDT for my system.

About battery: I select apple battery during iATKOS installation and works OK, but before I update the system to 10.8.4. the battery indicator dissapiar and don't work again.

Thanks, and sorry about my English.

I'm still waiting for a DSDT. 

Thanks a lot again.

It's probably because you are using voodoo battery. You could try and see how your battery performs under windows first.

If  you want to get native battery working you will need to select apple battery during iATKOS installation (or find the corresponding kext).

Is there any possibility to install only battery kext from iAtkos installation without installing everything from the beginning and losing dualboot etc? 

Is there any possibility to install only battery kext from iAtkos installation without installing everything from the beginning and losing dualboot etc? 

Yes, you will need to find the kext responsible for battery in iATKOS.

Since you already can see the battery percentage, I recommend you not to do it, because there is always risk of KP.  (which would result in reinstalling)

Alternative:

Go to Mac App stores search for "battery," some of the free one might work. 

I'm still need a DSDT for Core i3 2350 with only HD3000. No body has this DSDT, I had searched the whole Internet, and I don't find a proper DSDT for my system.

About battery: I select apple battery during iATKOS installation and works OK, but before I update the system to 10.8.4. the battery indicator dissapiar and don't work again.

Thanks, and sorry about my English.

I'm still waiting for a DSDT. 

Thanks a lot again.

Yes, reapply the AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext and AppleSmartBatteryMAnager.kext in Patch 1

I'm sorry to hear that, since I don't have a machine with i3, I can't really do anything.

If you have programming experience:

Try making your own DSDT.

Try to extract it from your system first and then add sleep, brightness control and other code to it (code can be found online or from the 4830TG DSDT).

Then try to fix all the warnings in the code.

Yes, you will need to find the kext responsible for battery in iATKOS.

Since you already can see the battery percentage, I recommend you not to do it, because there is always risk of KP.  (which would result in reinstalling)

Alternative:

Go to Mac App stores search for "battery," some of the free one might work. 

Yes, reapply the AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext and AppleSmartBatteryMAnager.kext in Patch 1

I'm sorry to hear that, since I don't have a machine with i3, I can't really do anything.

If you have programming experience:

Try making your own DSDT.

Try to extract it from your system first and then add sleep, brightness control and other code to it (code can be found online or from the 4830TG DSDT).

Then try to fix all the warnings in the code.

Hey there. I've gotten motivated to make a DSDT for a system with a Core i3 2310m. I just need to know if you could send me some links to the patches for brightness and sleep. Thanks!

Edit: Well, I've surprised myself. I got a DSDT to compile and I added the patch for brightness, and it worked! What else does the 4830TG DSDT attached in this thread provide? Thanks. I'll have the DSDT out after I add some more patches to it. 

• Like 1

Hey guys! A have new problem...

I've decided to install again OSX, on clean drive. 

Everything works, wifi, bluetooth, battery still shows that "needs repair" but now i can see battery info in "System Info" and battery lasts for 4h, hdmi audio works too.

But i have 2 problems

1. I have artifacts on random place at desk, or website. I had this before very rarely, now i see it way more but never always.

2. Today i noticed that sleep don't work. (yesterday was working). When osx goes to sleep it's still dark screen and i hear that notebook works. And the only way to back to osx is reset...

I've  used 3830tg kexts (not 5830)

EDIT:

Now i remember that i had problem with sleep:

Sorry about double post but i have new issue...

Yesterday i've installed fix for iMessage and this kext for USB 3.0. And after that i have problems with wake up after sleep... I've trying to wake up notebook after sleep twice and every time i hear that disk and fan is working but notebook isn't wake...and i must reboot. And when i booting i see "Incorrect image signature". Except that osx run and works good. 

It looks that same except that i didn't installed usb 3.0 kext. I've using this usb to charge iphone yesterday but it shouldn't be reason of this problem right?

NEXT EDIT:

I've updated OSX to 10.8.4 and after that both problems disappeared at this moment...

When trying to install the os,

I'm getting 
Transcript Offline : Buffer pool allocate [18100failed

before installation even starts.
I've read some advices from -f -x etc to updating bios firmware(not tried any of these yet since the guide says that there should be no problems at all.
Has anyone struggled the same issue here?

PS I'm not 100% sure i use the exact 'iATKOS ML2' image.

Hey there. I've gotten motivated to make a DSDT for a system with a Core i3 2310m. I just need to know if you could send me some links to the patches for brightness and sleep. Thanks!

Edit: Well, I've surprised myself. I got a DSDT to compile and I added the patch for brightness, and it worked! What else does the 4830TG DSDT attached in this thread provide? Thanks. I'll have the DSDT out after I add some more patches to it. 

Congratz! Sleep is a little trickier than brightness control, but it should be the similar to the one in 4830 DSDT. 

Hey guys! A have new problem...

I've decided to install again OSX, on clean drive. 

Everything works, wifi, bluetooth, battery still shows that "needs repair" but now i can see battery info in "System Info" and battery lasts for 4h, hdmi audio works too.

But i have 2 problems

1. I have artifacts on random place at desk, or website. I had this before very rarely, now i see it way more but never always.

2. Today i noticed that sleep don't work. (yesterday was working). When osx goes to sleep it's still dark screen and i hear that notebook works. And the only way to back to osx is reset...

I've  used 3830tg kexts (not 5830)

EDIT:

Now i remember that i had problem with sleep:

It looks that same except that i didn't installed usb 3.0 kext. I've using this usb to charge iphone yesterday but it shouldn't be reason of this problem right?

NEXT EDIT:

I've updated OSX to 10.8.4 and after that both problems disappeared at this moment...

update fakeSMC if you are getting graphic glitches (but be careful, I once KP after updating fakeSMC.kext)

I would suggest restart and login a couple times. It seems to get better. :)

When trying to install the os,

I'm getting 

Transcript Offline : Buffer pool allocate [18100failed

before installation even starts.

I've read some advices from -f -x etc to updating bios firmware(not tried any of these yet since the guide says that there should be no problems at all.

Has anyone struggled the same issue here?

PS I'm not 100% sure i use the exact 'iATKOS ML2' image.

Ok, lets assume you have the right iATKOS ML2 image and follow the instruction burning it onto a USB and applied the fix.

This issue is likely caused by graphic card error. Make sure you change your Graphic Setting in BIOS to INTEGRATED before installation.

Try not to boot with any boot flags (-f -x) when installing. If it doesnt load the first time, force shut down and boot again. eventually it will load successively without boot flag.

Which laptop model do you have?

Ok, lets assume you have the right iATKOS ML2 image and follow the instruction burning it onto a USB and applied the fix.

This issue is likely caused by graphic card error. Make sure you change your Graphic Setting in BIOS to INTEGRATED before installation.

Try not to boot with any boot flags (-f -x) when installing. If it doesnt load the first time, force shut down and boot again. eventually it will load successively without boot flag.

Which laptop model do you have?

Sorry, the image i tried to use was actually something different from iATKOS ML2. I've already downloaded the proper one, but now I'm struggling to 'burn' .dmg file onto a USB stick. Looks like I will have to use Disk Utility on Mac.(If there's a working alternative, please add it to the guide)

I also have a question about harddisk state at the beginning of the installation.

I already have Windows and Linux installations and I've created a new(not yet formatted) logical partition. It that enough?

5830TG

Sorry, the image i tried to use was actually something different from iATKOS ML2. I've already downloaded the proper one, but now I'm struggling to 'burn' .dmg file onto a USB stick. Looks like I will have to use Disk Utility on Mac.(If there's a working alternative, please add it to the guide)

I also have a question about harddisk state at the beginning of the installation.

I already have Windows and Linux installations and I've created a new(not yet formatted) logical partition. It that enough?

5830TG

The installation instruction from the official forum: http://iatkos.me/forum/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=23197

Follow the instruction and make sure you apply the pkg file in the instruction if you decided to burn it onto a USB drive.

As long as the the size of the partition is greater than 20GB, you should be fine.

OK, I've done the proper installation including .pkg file routine.
I have 2 issues though:
1) boot0: error_

I hope sort this out by myself later.
2) I cannot boot to OS.
I tried -f -x GraphicsEnabler=No and probably some others.

Sometimes it's nVidia patching ROM failed
OR the same screen as Yuvin some posts above:post-753306-0-43017600-1370755022.jpg

I read through the discussion carefully and it turns out the graphics adapter must be switched to integrated mode before installation(?). If so, please update the installation guide.

OK, I've done the proper installation including .pkg file routine.

I have 2 issues though:

1) boot0: error_

I hope sort this out by myself later.

2) I cannot boot to OS.

I tried -f -x GraphicsEnabler=No and probably some others.

Sometimes it's nVidia patching ROM failed

OR the same screen as Yuvin some posts above:post-753306-0-43017600-1370755022.jpg

I read through the discussion carefully and it turns out the graphics adapter must be switched to integrated mode before installation(?). If so, please update the installation guide.

Ok, Boot0 and KP is two different issue.

Yes, during the entire installation process, nVidia must be turned off. (actually turn nVidia off at all times)

You should be able to boot into your newly installed system to set up your computer without any issue (the welcome screen).

By looking at the code above, please remove all usb devices connected to the computer. (only power adapter)

Ok, Boot0 and KP is two different issue.

Yes, during the entire installation process, nVidia must be turned off. (actually turn nVidia off at all times)

You should be able to boot into your newly installed system to set up your computer without any issue (the welcome screen).

By looking at the code above, please remove all usb devices connected to the computer. (only power adapter)

Thank you!

The only USB I have connected is USB installer since it's the only way to avoid boot0 error.

I'll reinstall osx and post the feedback asap.