What about updating the OSX86 Wikipedia Article?

theconnactic

14 posts in this topic

Has anyone read the Wikipedia article these days? It's hideously outdated, lacking lots of information and even, in a certain extent, has wrong information in it. Some examples:

Due to the problems sourced during the Lion era,[clarification needed] other ways of installing and required patches were never made public, which leaves the scene in an unknown state towards Mountain Lion.[citation needed]

What does it mean? Gossip in the Wikipedia article? Because if there are no reliable sources listed, or no desire to further develop the subject, why post this kind of vague statement? The way it's posted, it makes all the scene, including the many many developers committed to innovating projects like Clover, the opcode emulator and the Chameleon modules, look like a bunch of sissy moronic kids. C'mon!

And there's the wrong information: the scene definetely isn't "in an unknown state towards" Mountain Lion (be it what it means). It's precisely the opposite: The tools and methods for hackintoshing were never that powerful and mature, thanks to that many developers committed to it. In fact, hackintosh, since Mountain Lion, is more and more approaching the state of "just working". The support is broad, even for usually problematic hardware. Which takes us to another example:

After a while Dmitrik also known as Bronzovka had luck with creating a kernel which supported AMD systems; its development is still ongoing.

Took as is, the above statement leads to the idea there isn't a really stable Lion kernel for AMD machines (and the article doesn't make a mention to all the recent development of a kernel not only for AMD machines, but legacy Intel rigs as well). The plain fact is that, since the first R:A:W:X86 AMD kernel for 10.7.4, at least newer AMD CPUs have full support. Bronzovka, Shane and R:A:W:86 have had various degree of success enabling full support for older AMD CPUs. Of course, development is still ongoing, as with any thing hackintosh-related, but we've been highly successful with it.

The omission of the latest AMD kernel development, if deliberate, is absolutely unfair! Thanks to the drive brought by this development, now we have the opcode emulator, a wonderful tool made by Sinetek, that enables all the missing CPU instructions, enabling full OSX support for a large plethora of hardware. Since the opcode emulator is coded in plain C, it's cross-platform par excellence, and i can reasonably think about it being used on Linux, BSD and even Windows (imagine someone who wants to run latest games on older hardware: enter the opcode emulator).

Why worry about the Wikipedia article?, some would think or say. Well, if we have a free internet outdoor with quite outstanding visibility, it better advertise it right. It's the same with Wikipedia, one of the most accessed sites on the world wide web. I don't know how the article edition is really done, but we better make sure people familiar with the scene (like Insanelymac staff) is heard.

• Like 2

Hi,

From what i know, anyone can edit Wiki articles, unless it is protected. Most of us do not have the time to do so, but if you have some spare time, create an account and enjoy yourself :)

Btw, can you link the article you are talking about?

Thank you.

• Like 1

Lol!

Anyway, good to know! I think you should put Chimera back, since like it or not it's stablished as a legit branch of Chameleon and it has a significative user base. But you could make it even better and put it as a subsection under Chameleon, since it's a branch of it, and add others with a significative user base, like Enoch or cparm. Also, RevoBoot and XPC could be added also as boot loaders, since there's development ongoing for both of them, and RevoBoot has a nice story (it was Revolution boot loader at first, then RevoGirl took the development from where it was abandoned and rename it RevoBoot, keeping it updated until she died, then a pair of developers took over).

About the page being freely editable, keep in mind each Wikipedia page has a discussion page made for keeping the information accurate (as you see, this often fail to succeed) and prevent trolls to mutilate them for whatever reason. So it's very likely the Chimera section would be put back anyway and, since the page is fully editable, that could be a pretext for retaliation, opening a flamewar that could really make the scene appear as made of sissy moronic kids, so let's lead by (good) examples. :P

Best regards!

• Like 2

You are right. It will probably be restored. But the bootloaders, it should be more extended, like you mentioned. Chimera is and will always be a commercial spin-off, just could not handle that it was recommended on the page.

I'll see what i can do tomorrow, i'll even include the tony {censored}, somewhere on the boddom, in small text.

Edit: Put it back for now.

• Like 1

Keep bootloaders out of the article.

Out of sight is out of mind. As long as the hackintosh group remains fringe, Apple wont give two {censored}. Exposing us to a greater crowd may bring the wrath upon us of Apple lawyers.

I soundly disagree:

1) Voldemort has been around for a while, singing out loud his spells for anyone who can hear it, so the visibility of the OSX86 scene is not on our control anymore and 2) We already have an article in the Wikipedia, so your whole point is a non sequitur, unless you're suggesting the deletion of that article, which at this point would not make that much a difference. If it's to stay there, it better give true and accurate information, which is not happening. Finally, 3) the whole raison d'être of sites like Insanelymac is to expose the scene to a greater crowd, providing help and exchange of knowledge.

Best regards!

I agree with leaving Chimera listed as a branch, as you say like it or not it is. However I do question the impartiality of the person who wrote that section. It just looks like a marketing blurb with the links and language such as "one stop", which is not the point of Wikipedia

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'll probably do some editing when I have time :D

I think we should not only leave chimera, but add a section on the Tony mac controversy from a neutral point of view.

• Like 1

I think we should not only leave chimera, but add a section on the Tony mac controversy from a neutral point of view.

That's why it's really a very good idea you being the one editing that article, since you're not member of the staff of any of the sites involved in this controversy. On the other hand, the most neutral point of view one can have is the truth (yeah, i'm one of that old-scholl guys that believe in an objective truth). In a Wikipedia article, any statement that presents itself as a factual truth, not an opinative point-of-view, should be sourced in well documented (that is, verifiable) information.

That said, you probably won't have enough basis to state that "Tonymac took others' work and distributed as his own", unless you can link the statement with verifiable and categorically proof. But you could say something in the lines of "Tonymac has been acused by developers to be taking their work and distributing as his own" and link the statement to sites where this kind of accusation is being done. Pradesh's blog would be a starting point for this research: http://prasys.info/2011/01/tonymac-seriously/

All the best!

I'll probably do some editing when I have time :D

Bootloaders arent notable for inclusion in the article. It might be considered as spam.

Since these bootloaders where developed for and alongside OSX86, i think a bootloader section on the article is quite appropriate, as long as it follows the line of factual descriptions with verifiable linked sources, not advertising-like opinative statements (that could be indeed considered spam).

All the best!