OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

On 4/7/2020 at 12:54 PM, IronManJFF said:

Nothing yet

Why you don't repost it here instead of Open Core thread to see what happen and to help QUO owners who had no chance to actually make the migration?:drool: (anyway see attachment)

Z77MX-QUO-AOS Migrating from OZ to OpenCore (based on OpenCore 0.5.7).rtfd.zip

Edited by elviejo
  • Thanks 1

Thanks IronManJFF, since the OC upgrade my build has been running flawlessly down to one detail: HDCP.

TV+ is not playing and iTunes videos are playing with red screen, is there a known fix?

9 minutes ago, niXta said:

Thanks IronManJFF, since the OC upgrade my build has been running flawlessly down to one detail: HDCP.

TV+ is not playing and iTunes videos are playing with red screen, is there a known fix?

I just upgraded to Catalina this night and noticed the same thing.  Not sure it has anything to do with OC itself as I get audio from my Deadpool and IronMan2 movie bought from the iTunes Store. Might be more related to WhateverGreen than to OC itself. I'll have to do some research...

5 hours ago, niXta said:

This is what fixed it for me 

In Terminal

sudo nvram boot-args="shikigva=80"

https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/Manual/FAQ.Chart.md

The shikigva value depends on what kind of iGPU/dGPU combo .. so I will not bake it in the OC migration kit (unless I change my mind).

If you want that to be permanent (survive after NVRAM reset)

so for Ozmosis you would put in Defaults.plist

<key>Defaults:7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82</key>
	<dict>
		<key>boot-args</key>
		<string>shikigva=80</string>
	</dict>

and for OpenCore

image.png.995bd990468a2854e866be1f0169e1d1.png

• Thanks 1

On 4/13/2020 at 10:30 PM, IronManJFF said:

This is what fixed it for me 

In Terminal

sudo nvram boot-args="shikigva=80"

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work for me, iTunes videos have a red blinking screen instead of a flat red screen as before. Audio works just like before. TV+ videos doesn't start.

It seems to be set correctly and I've restarted.

iMac:~ user$ sudo nvram boot-args
boot-args    shikigva=80

I do have a 570 and not a 580 as you, could that be the reason?

Could be even tough they both share the same architecture..or it could be because you seem to still be in Mojave and I am on Catalina now .. you can also try shikigva=16

Can you fix your signature to reflect your current setup please (as a matter of fact I have to fix mine also .. I was sure I had done it ...)

Edited by IronManJFF

On 4/18/2020 at 7:45 PM, IronManJFF said:

Could be even tough they both share the same architecture..or it could be because you seem to still be in Mojave and I am on Catalina now .. you can also try shikigva=16

Can you fix your signature to reflect your current setup please (as a matter of fact I have to fix mine also .. I was sure I had done it ...)

My bad, it’s updated now. Im on Catalina. I’ll check my gpu settings in BIOS too. The 570 does perform well  for me in other tasks.

Hi everyone :D

For a while I've been having a problem where MacOS has failed to boot, but after a couple of restarts, it would work... But today, nothing, restarted a million times, or completely shut down and turned back on, and it wont boot, just a black screen. I've also tried booting from the UEFI console just in case, where a ouple of times, I got the following error message.

IMG_7626.thumb.jpg.a579647e62d1f02a6dd9d41abbfef27e.jpg

Does anyone know if its fixable? Or should I just reinstall MacOS on top of my current instalation? That tends to fix other stuff -_-

Thanks in advanced :rofl:

Re-socket the RAM sticks.. they sometimes become loose after awhile ...

Bring your CPU back to standard clock see if you have have the problem

Please update build signature to make sure it reflects current hardware and software

Edited by IronManJFF

On 4/25/2020 at 3:06 AM, IronManJFF said:

Re-socket the RAM sticks.. they sometimes become loose after awhile ...

Bring your CPU back to standard clock see if you have have the problem

Please update build signature to make sure it reflects current hardware and software

Okay, I did that but nothing changed, I was able to boot into MacOS this morning, so I haven't shut down.

Although I don't see hot the ram could be a problem, as I was able to boot into Windows with no problem, and all 24GB of RAM where showing.

10 minutes ago, Casm101 said:

Okay, I did that but nothing changed, I was able to boot into MacOS this morning, so I haven't shut down.

Although I don't see hot the ram could be a problem, as I was able to boot into Windows with no problem, and all 24GB of RAM where showing.

Are you on OC or on Osmozis? If in the late with Catalina, it is a bit unstable and that could happen from time to time, the best solution is to migrate to OC, IronManJFF have an excellent guide to do so. If you want to stay pure Osmozis and that happen again try resetting nvram.

17 minutes ago, elviejo said:

Are you on OC or on Osmozis? If in the late with Catalina, it is a bit unstable and that could happen from time to time, the best solution is to migrate to OC, IronManJFF have an excellent guide to do so. If you want to stay pure Osmozis and that happen again try resetting nvram.

I'm still on Ozmosis, I was waiting to fix this problem specifically before migrating to OC hehe.

Now that I know the The migration could help with the problem, I'll try and do it this evening, thanks!

I've migrated over to OC, really easily thanks to @IronManJFF's guide.

Took about 10 minutes, and after it allowed me to update to the latest version of Catalina very easily, without having any restart problems.

I've rebooted about 15 times to test stability, and so far, no problems, so thats brilliant!

Also, loving the boot chime! I haven't heard it on a "modern mac" since my old G5, which I started to do a case mod... So far pretty good, just need to order some aluminium for the back IO plate and it will be done.

May be a little off-topic, but I'll upload a post once its done :P

12 hours ago, Casm101 said:
I've migrated over to OC, really easily thanks to [mention=1198294]IronManJFF[/mention]'s guide.

Took about 10 minutes, and after it allowed me to update to the latest version of Catalina very easily, without having any restart problems.

I've rebooted about 15 times to test stability, and so far, no problems, so thats brilliant!
Also, loving the boot chime! I haven't heard it on a "modern mac" since my old G5, which I started to do a case mod... So far pretty good, just need to order some aluminium for the back IO plate and it will be done.

May be a little off-topic, but I'll upload a post once its done

I want to see that mod!

Edited by IronManJFF

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks IronManJFF for the migration to OpenCore guide. I successfully made the migration.

I wasn't having any issues with Oz but I wanted to prepare for an upgrade to Mojave (I'm still on High Sierra and HFS+)

OpenCore definitely boots up faster, but that seems to be related to the fact that Radeon sensors is no longer included (Radeon sensors would pause my startup for around 10 seconds.) And that is the main thing I notice with this new setup - much less temperature sensors available. The GPU temp and fan sensors aren't working/available.

Once booted everything seems to work. I made the shikigva=80 change, that fixed iTunes for me.

However, I have had two instances where boot up doesn't complete (It stops after the Apple logo appears but before the progress bar) which is a bit concerning. (I didn't ever have this issue with Oz) To fix I depress the reset button, which then both times has resulted in a complete boot thankfully. 

The sensors are there but you you need tu use an app that reads them. As there are multiple 'sensors' projects.

Oz used SmcEmulator.kext in firmware which was basically FakeSMC. OC uses VirtualSMC.

You can use HWMonitorSMC2 with VirtualSMC. Not perfect but you will get the fans.

Your #2 is still with OZ, Can you send me a couple of screenshots of the voltage sensors ... I am trying to fix them for HWMonitorSMC2.

Edited by IronManJFF

Thanks for the link to the new HWMonitor. It is showing about the same voltage sensors as I remember from OZ however still no GPU sensors.

I also got another instance where #1 wouldn't boot without another reset.

I haven't run MacOS on #2 in a long time. I think I have an SSD with Mountain Lion on it somewhere that it might boot.

• 1 month later...

Just got a Z77MX-QUO-AOS motherboard. I am glad to see that it still has an active community. I am new to this so I started to read from page 160, as  it was suggested to other user.

This is the build i have in mind:

• Z77MX-QUO-AOS 
  • i7 3770 non k
  • 8gb ram
  • SSD mx500 500gb
  • GTX 1060

I have a few questions:

1. According to the seller, it has the Z77MXQUOAOS.H2O.167X-MASS rom applied. I will try to check that tonight. ¿is this rom is the most stable for a macpro3.1 build? I would like to try the macpro 3.1 even if i am stuck in "El Capitán". my applications still work there (office 2016, fireworks cs6 :whistle:, etc).

2. is it better to update the firmware even if i am installing "El Capitán"? i could try highsierra on other ssd if i am brave enought.

3. Safari is still updated by apple in "El Capitán":worried_anim:?

4. if i flash the new Z77MXQUOAOS.H2O.167X-XMAX-E.ROM or the OPENCORE friendly rom, and I use an "El Capitán" usb installer without doing anything else, macos will install by default as a macpro3.1 too, right? 

About reseting NVRAm

1.  is this the way to perform a NVRAM reset? when booting the system press/spam F12 to bring up the boot select menu. Once it's up, press Command+Option+Pkey+Rkey.
  2. When NVRAM is reseted it will load the "user modified" defaults.plist file in the /EFI/Oz folder on sata disk0, right?.
  3. If I dont do any modification to the defaults.plist, the one loaded is the one baked in the firmware (macpro3.1), right?

Excuse my english, and have a nice day.

ATTENTION ATTENTION

You will not be able to make GTX1060 work, there are no drivers available.

GTX 970 would work up to High Sierra after that ..nope( i have one I was about to put on Kijiji)

GTX 760 will work out-of-the-box in just about anything until Mojave 10.14.6

GTX1000 or 2000 series will not work at all

Will work in 10.13.4 and above

AMD RX570,RX580

AMD Vega 56,64 

AMD Vega 64

AMD WX7100,WX9100

Will work in Catalina 10.15.2 and above

RX 5700 XT

Any reason why you want to pretend to be a MacPro3,1 ? ..it is a lonely island. Everyone is either a iMac13,2 (dGPU) or a MacMini6,2 (iGPU)

Answers to your questions :

1) It is a very good proven ROM for El Capitan

2) Not really, Ozmosis is still stable even tough there has been no new development on it for quite some time. Al new development is on OpenCore

3) No

4) XMAX-E -> Will install as MacPro3,1 if no Defaults.plist found. OC firendly -> You have to provide a config.plist file.

Nvram:

1) Yes or just hold Command-Option-P-R when powering up (with Oz or OC firmware).

2) Yes

3) Yes for Ozmosis (Opencore has nothing baked in)

9 hours ago, Steph-19 said:

Excuse my english, and have a nice day.

Tu peux me demander en français anytime

• Like 1

Thanks for the info and heads up. :D

8 hours ago, IronManJFF said:

ATTENTION ATTENTION

GTX1000 or 2000 series will not work at all

I saw that the guy (the seller) had a GTX 1060 showing on "about this mac" so i bought one too. he says he just installed macos without the card, and then plug the card and it was recognized hahahhahha. I am guessing it is recognized/listed but will no have proper hardware acceleration. he also says he probably had to install web drivers.

2 hours ago, Steph-19 said:

Thanks for the info and heads up. :D

I saw that the guy (the seller) had a GTX 1060 showing on "about this mac" so i bought one too. he says he just installed macos without the card, and then plug the card and it was recognized hahahhahha. I am guessing it is recognized/listed but will no have proper hardware acceleration. he also says he probably had to install web drivers.

Let me re-check  ...

Seems I was wrong ..

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/252232/pascal-based-graphics-card-drivers-for-macos/

Requirement is 10.12.4 (Sierra) , I have no idea if it works well.

Edited by IronManJFF