[UEFIPatch] UEFI patching utility

CodeRush
1,981 posts in this topic

Version 0.5.12 requires installed VS 2010 runtime components, it's was a misconfiguration of new Visual Studio setup I made after reinstalling OS because of switching to SSD. There is no significant changes between 0.5.11 and 0.5.12 , that is why 0.5.11 binaries are still there. If 0.5.12 doesn't work - try 0.5.11. If both binaries don't work - post your BIOS here and I or another person will patch it using PhoenixTool.

I must say, that development of PMPatch successor is going slower that I planed, but it's not stalled. I have no free time for my personal projects now, but I see that current version is OK, even if the code is ugly is hell. Will return to this project as soon as I have more time for programming at home.

• Like 2

@Coderush,

Would it be safe to flash an updated vanilla Dell BIOS to the system now that I no longer have OS X on the laptop? (Dell n5110)

I'm asking because flashing the patched BIOS was a terrifying experience. Windows froze during flash and fans throttled to full speed (it made a terrifying sound). I waited for a few minutes then removed the battery, and on restart I found that the BIOS was flashed successfully and everything worked perfectly fine.

I'm a bit scared the system might freeze again and possibly interrupt the flash process.

BIOS flashers are good enough, but only if there is no verification routine, that tells flasher to refuse modified BIOS file. Flashing from DOS is another good option, but not all vendors supply DOS versions of flashing software.

I personally use Intel FPT fo making BIOS region backup, patching it and flashing that patched backup under DOS, but this can be made only if there is no write protection of BIOS region, which is common for notebooks and some desktop boards (like ASUS Z77 with 19xx BIOSes, but they have USB BIOS Flashback instead).

The ultimate solution is hardware SPI programmer. :)

• Like 2

Hello, you CodeRush will ask you to update bios v.0901 CodeRush. Help refurbish it.

Thank you.

https://www.dropbox....S-ASUS-0901.zip

D:\>pmpatch P8Z77-V-LE-PLUS-ASUS-0901.CAP P8Z77-V-LE-PLUS-ASUS-0901-PMPATCHED.CAP

PMPatch 0.5.12

PowerManagement module at 0041BB68 patched.

AMI nest modules not found.

Phoenix nest modules not found.

CpuPei module at 00791E80 not patched: Patch pattern not found.

CpuPei module at 007D1E80 not patched: Patch pattern not found.

Output file generated.

http://www.multiupload.nl/AJXGL4KS9A

patched flawlessly from windows with PMPatch 0.5.12 :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 1

buoo, this "news" is like a month old.

Yes, ASUS implemented new protection of BIOS region in 19xx BIOS versions on their Z77 BIOSes, but it can be bypassed either by using USB BIOS Flashback to flash older version first (then protection is no more, and you can flash anything you want with FTK/flashrom/DPCIManager/whatever) or just using USB BIOS Flashback to flash modified BIOS file. It can be problematic to deal with this kind of protection on boards without UBF, but no one is interested in cracking this protection, AFAIK, and I don't have a board and free time to do that.

• Like 1

What kind of help do you need?

Your modified BIOS is fine, but you must update ME firmware as well.

Use reflash command instead of biosrefl when following the flashing guide from my signature.

• Like 1

buoo, this "news" is like a month old.

Yes, ASUS implemented new protection of BIOS region in 19xx BIOS versions on their Z77 BIOSes, but it can be bypassed either by using USB BIOS Flashback to flash older version first (then protection is no more, and you can flash anything you want with FTK/flashrom/DPCIManager/whatever) or just using USB BIOS Flashback to flash modified BIOS file. It can be problematic to deal with this kind of protection on boards without UBF, but no one is interested in cracking this protection, AFAIK, and I don't have a board and free time to do that.

Fact check: The protection scheme is the same that Sam located and e-mailed about with insanelymac.com forum member dgsga. Also. Since there will be no "old" UEFI BIOS versions for the new Asus motherboard... you have to get rid of it or you cannot flash anything. And thus yes. I am very much interested in cracking this protection. Just that people here know what I was trying to address in my blog. Thanks for missing the bigger picture.

• Like 1

Pike, can you or anyone else disable this protection? If you can - please share the way to do it. If not - it's nothing to talk about.

I'm not interested in arguing about whether it was Sam who discovered this protection method first, or anyone else. I don't try to have any credit in discovering it or anything.

The point is: can we crack it. If so - it must be published, because for Z86 boards there will be no BIOS without this protection.

If not - we could work together to crack it.

Or just build or buy cheap SPI programmer and finish with it the hardware way. I have done it already.

• Like 3

Hi,

I've got a Asus P8Z77-V pro motherboard and I'm currently using the 1908 bios with 12.6 Intel OROM. When I patch the bios with PMPatch and flash the patched bios

the whole Intel RAID menu disappears from the startup.The disks are working as usual, but suddenly I am unable to configure the raid setup anymore.

When I flash the "normal" (12.6) bios the raid menu reappears.

It the loss of raid menu a part of the patching?

• Like 1

I saw it mentioned that you can patch the executable provided by Dell. When I tried to path the BIOS for my Vostro 270 I received the following:

./PMPatch Inspiron\ 660\ Vostro\ 270\ A09.exe ~/patched
PMPatch 0.5.11
PowerManagement modules not found.
AMI nest modules not found.
Phoenix nest modules not found.
CpuPei modules not found.

What steps would I need to take to patch the BIOS for this machine?

You need to unpack that Dell executable and patch the BIOS file inside. Dell changes file formats often, no wonder that some day direct binary patch won't work anymore.

• Like 1