[UEFIPatch] UEFI patching utility

CodeRush
1,981 posts in this topic

Sorry for some silly questions but I'm very new to the Hackintosh community (but not the Mac or PC world).  I know a lot of the programs (#####, #####, PMPatch) haven't been updated for the Intel's Z87 Haswells, but I've created a system with the parts below, and when I try to install Mountain Lion from my UB thumb drive, I see the gray Apple Logo but then the screen freezes and does not recover.  Are there any commands I should try to work through the freeze; I'd love to be able to help the community with the new Intel chips but first need a little bit of help myself.

MB: ASUS Z87 DELUXE/DUAL

CPU: Intel 4770k Haswell (3.5ghz)

RAM: Crucial Tactical 16GB

HD: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (or 256GB)

PS: Cooler Master 600W

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX670 FTW

CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 240M

Also, I've patched (or think I've patched my UEFI BIOS from Asus's website using FTK...and it seemed to flash okay based on receiving the command prompt).

EDIT: OS X 10.9 DP confirmed working on Z87 setups. Unlocked 0xE2 is still needed for AICPM.kext to work. Will add the support for Z87 to PMPatch ASAP.

---

I don't like the way PMPatch works now (the code is ugly as hell and has some flaws in design, that require a complete rewrite), but I have my final exams in 3 weeks, so I have no time for programming this time. 

You can't use FTK 0.9.x on Z87 platform, because it requires Intel FPT v9.0.x.x, and doesn't work with previous versions. More to say, ASUS have all BIOS regions locked except GbE region (where settings for integrated Intel LAN chip are located), so there is one way to flash modified BIOSes on ASUS Z87 (not counting hardware SPI porigrammer) - USB BIOS Flashback.

I will prepare a special version of FTK for that platform, and I will add Z87 support in FD44Editor (data format is the same as it was on Z77, so all I need to do is expand built-in board database), but I will be done in 1-2 month because of lack of free time. 

Z87 BIOS patching support is done in new version 0.5.13.

Tried it on ASUS and Asrock BIOSes and it appears to be working, but please try it on your own risk.

Solved a bug in patching code, that could lead to program crash on previously modified BIOSes. If previous versions worked - you are not affected.

Windows binary is ready to download, OS X binary is ready too.

• Like 1

Z87 BIOS patching support is done in new version 0.5.13.

Tried it on ASUS and Asrock BIOSes and it appears to be working, but please try it on your own risk.

Solved a bug in patching code, that could lead to program crash on previously modified BIOSes. If previous versions worked - you are not affected.

Windows binary is ready to download, OS X binary is ready too.

Super fast friend , but you said you did not have time?

Lol , you are fantastic....now please can you a time for x79 ? Ahahahahha I'm kidding do not be offended

I pmpatched succesfully for a friend on an Asus Maximus V motherboard.

Thanks again for your great work :D

• Like 1

magnifico, yep, found that half an hour.

X79 has another problem - AICPM.kext still cause kernel panic even with patched BIOS (which can be patched by current version, because the patch for X79 is the same as for old P67/Z68).

We need to disassemble it and see where exactly the panic is and what is it's cause. I have no X79 PC to test, so I hope that someone can figure this out.

---

About the time and stuff:

It's not hard to find 30 minutes for integrating easy changes like that, but I need about a week to implement all new ideas and methods I have now. 

You're awesome CodeRush and I'll report back with results.

Results:  During PMPatch on OSX get message::

"Last login: Thu Jun 20 09:49:44 on console

macbookpro:~ cmwilliams72$ /Users/cmwilliams72/Desktop/PMPatch /Users/cmwilliams72/Desktop/Z87-DELUXE-DUAL-ASUS-1008.CAP /Users/cmwilliams72/Desktop/Z87-DELUXE-DUAL-ASUS-1008patch.CAP 
Illegal instruction: 4
macbookpro:~ cmwilliams72$" 

Also CodeRush...make sure and study for those exams...my petty things can wait. :P

magnifico, yep, found that half an hour.

X79 has another problem - AICPM.kext still cause kernel panic even with patched BIOS (which can be patched by current version, because the patch for X79 is the same as for old P67/Z68).

We need to disassemble it and see where exactly the panic is and what is it's cause. I have no X79 PC to test, so I hope that someone can figure this out.

---

About the time and stuff:

It's not hard to find 30 minutes for integrating easy changes like that, but I need about a week to implement all new ideas and methods I have now. 

Hi CodeRush, I know that there is a limitation (X79 for now) of vanilla AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (OS X 10.9).
So far as I understand X79 Bios can be patched by PMPatch 0.5.13 because the patch is the same as for old P67/Z68,  Right?

Results of latest OSX PMPatch on ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Latest BIOS:

localhost:PMPatch robvanderlans$ ./PMPatch Rampage-IV-Extreme-ASUS-4102.CAP Rampage-IV-Extreme-ASUS-4102-Patched.CAP
PMPatch 0.5.13
PowerManagement modules not found.
PowerMgmtDxe/PowerManagement2.efi modules not found.
AMI nest modules not found.
Phoenix nest modules not found.
CpuPei module at 0079CAC8 patched.
CpuPei module at 007DCAC8 patched.
Output file generated.
localhost:PMPatch robvanderlans$ 

Passed BIOS security check and Flashed patched version (everything seems okay)  ^_^   

Right.

---

We have found that AICPM.kext from 10.9 DP1 can be patched to enable SB-E processors but power management will not work.

Thanks to SunKi for this 2 patches:

1. sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x74\x2f\x48\x89|\x90\x90\x48\x89|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

2. sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x74\xe7\x48\xc7|\x90\x90\x48\xc7|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

With patched BIOS and patched kext it's possible to use AICPM.kext, but the problem is that processor works at 100% all the time, so it's better to use NCPM.kext there.

Right.

---

We have found that AICPM.kext from 10.9 DP1 can be patched to enable SB-E processors but power management will not work.

Thanks to SunKi for this 2 patches:

With patched BIOS and patched kext it's possible to use AICPM.kext, but the problem is that processor works at 100% all the time, so it's better to use NCPM.kext there.

Great, thanks for your reply CodeRush, Okay, I'll will try those two patches from SunKi and have a closer look into  :thumbsup_anim:

It's useless now, yes, but I hope there will be a way to enable PM with native kext. 

Right, I'm hoping to, disassembled 10.9 AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, but it give me headache, I'm not a crack in Assembler, right now (wo NullCPU.kext) on 10.9 I have 2 P-states i7-3930K (SB-E), which I had with NullCPU.kext. Piece by piece we come a little further   ^_^  (i'm positive about)

I don't know why this happens again and again. :(

Will recompile OS X version soon.

Here is your BIOS patched with Windows version.

attachicon.gifZ87-DELUXE-DUAL-ASUS-1008_PM.zip

Hi, trying to flash my ASUS Z87 DUAL DELUXE with your bios (tryed to make an other one on my own too) and usb flashback doesn't seems to work.

Could you help me.

An other very disapointing thing is that i can't get ernoch even to try booting. i always end up on the BIOS page... I saw here a guide to Mavericks DP boot. I will try that as soon as possible and report back.

Any help is appreciated !

I think there is a different BIOS file for DUAL DELUXE board. Patch it with PMPatch 0.5.13 and then flash with USB BIOS Flashback, as described in boards manual.

That's what I did, and the bios you patched in the quoted topic is precisely for that mobo. It just doesn't work :

USB BIOS Flashback starts normaly but end up on a constant blue light which means it failed.