Proper mouse tracking under OSX is live!

bbeepp

32 posts in this topic

This works great, but do you think it would be possible to make it also work in tandem with BetterTouchTool? At least button mappings made in BetterTouchTool don't seem to work.

Thats known issue and I don't know if will be resolved. More here:

http://smoothmouse.net/forum/topic/71-smoothmouse-and-bettertouchtool/page__hl__bettertouchtool

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had noticed this issue since Leopard, mouse cursor movement visually felt a bit jerky.

I then bought a magic mouse, and the feel was immediately gone and cursor smoothness was back to what it was with any mouse in Tiger.

So just be aware that magic mouse (and probably others Apple mice) tracking is smooth without any "patching" and that it's probably some "accidentally intentional" limitation by Apple" so mice of other brands feel sh*tty.

I had noticed this issue since Leopard, mouse cursor movement visually felt a bit jerky.

I then bought a magic mouse, and the feel was immediately gone and cursor smoothness was back to what it was with any mouse in Tiger.

So just be aware that magic mouse (and probably others Apple mice) tracking is smooth without any "patching" and that it's probably some "accidentally intentional" limitation by Apple" so mice of other brands feel sh*tty.

I highly doubt that. I have been using a wireles microsoft keyboard and mouse since Snow Leopard and a Logitech since Tiger and mouse movement has always been as smooth as the Apple mouse. I would notice jerky movement straight away since I do intensive detailed work in Photoshop and Illustrator. Even at work, I dumped Apple's magic mouse for a Logitech USB mouse. I hate gimmicks and unergonomically designed hardware, which is how I feel about Apple's mouse designs since e-mac days. I guess not all mouse brands work as well as the next, but I have yet to come accross any major brand input devices that are problematic natively. My Microsoft mouse does not even use Apple's tracking curve. It functions as it does in WIndows. That is in SNow Leopard and Mountain Lion.

• 2 weeks later...

Apple mice use AppleUSBHIDMouse as driver.

This is why I created AnyAppleUSBMouse.kext

So that other mice use Apple's optimized driver.

So yes: this is intentional

Only after reading this article, have I realized that that the tracking I get from my natively supported wireless Microsoft mouse is 'normal' as in the same tracking used in Windows & Linux. Little things like this make the world of a difference.

I have a Microsoft Explorer Touch Mouse, are you saying that we don't have to worry about this? If so, how come, does the Microsoft software install a kext or something?