Proper mouse tracking under OSX is live!

mouse

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Blame73

Blame73

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 80 posts
Had to uninstall it because the log was filled with "... smoothmoused[262]: Failed to get 'HIDTrackpadAcceleration'"

subxero

subxero

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Had to uninstall it because the log was filled with "... smoothmoused[262]: Failed to get 'HIDTrackpadAcceleration'"

Same here. My log file was getting bigger and bigger. Error report every 2 seconds. The tracking was also unusual. Like they say... if it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it.

Blame73

Blame73

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 80 posts

Same here. My log file was getting bigger and bigger. Error report every 2 seconds. The tracking was also unusual. Like they say... if it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it.

To be honest I liked the smoothness and the Windows-like acceleration curve, but the log problem was unbeareble, whenever they'll fix it (or maybe it's just my problem) I get back to it

mnorthern

mnorthern

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
THANK YOU! To make it work smooth on my HP Synaptics touchpad, I had to set it to its slowest setting, and also untick the box saying Ignore Accidental Input in the original trackpad prefpane. Works well so far :)

Kasakka

Kasakka

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
This works great, but do you think it would be possible to make it also work in tandem with BetterTouchTool? At least button mappings made in BetterTouchTool don't seem to work.

bbeepp

bbeepp

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

This works great, but do you think it would be possible to make it also work in tandem with BetterTouchTool? At least button mappings made in BetterTouchTool don't seem to work.

Thats known issue and I don't know if will be resolved. More here:
http://smoothmouse.n...bettertouchtool

Scellow

Scellow

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:while{true||false}
    {
    dream();
    }
Awesome ! Thanks !

STLVNUB

STLVNUB

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,123 posts
Very usefull Utility.

Krazubu

Krazubu

InsanelyMac Legend

• Retired
  • 874 posts
I had noticed this issue since Leopard, mouse cursor movement visually felt a bit jerky.
I then bought a magic mouse, and the feel was immediately gone and cursor smoothness was back to what it was with any mouse in Tiger.
So just be aware that magic mouse (and probably others Apple mice) tracking is smooth without any "patching" and that it's probably some "accidentally intentional" limitation by Apple" so mice of other brands feel sh*tty.

subxero

subxero

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

I had noticed this issue since Leopard, mouse cursor movement visually felt a bit jerky.
I then bought a magic mouse, and the feel was immediately gone and cursor smoothness was back to what it was with any mouse in Tiger.
So just be aware that magic mouse (and probably others Apple mice) tracking is smooth without any "patching" and that it's probably some "accidentally intentional" limitation by Apple" so mice of other brands feel sh*tty.

I highly doubt that. I have been using a wireles microsoft keyboard and mouse since Snow Leopard and a Logitech since Tiger and mouse movement has always been as smooth as the Apple mouse. I would notice jerky movement straight away since I do intensive detailed work in Photoshop and Illustrator. Even at work, I dumped Apple's magic mouse for a Logitech USB mouse. I hate gimmicks and unergonomically designed hardware, which is how I feel about Apple's mouse designs since e-mac days. I guess not all mouse brands work as well as the next, but I have yet to come accross any major brand input devices that are problematic natively. My Microsoft mouse does not even use Apple's tracking curve. It functions as it does in WIndows. That is in SNow Leopard and Mountain Lion.

Andy Vandijck

Andy Vandijck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,613 posts
  • Interests:Programming stuff for Mac OS X...
    Hacking...
    Hard rock (also really big Metallica...

Apple mice use AppleUSBHIDMouse as driver.
This is why I created AnyAppleUSBMouse.kext
So that other mice use Apple's optimized driver.
So yes: this is intentional

Krazubu

Krazubu

InsanelyMac Legend

• Retired
  • 874 posts
Thanks for confirming this.

adriangb

adriangb

adriangb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Only after reading this article, have I realized that that the tracking I get from my natively supported wireless Microsoft mouse is 'normal' as in the same tracking used in Windows & Linux. Little things like this make the world of a difference.

I have a Microsoft Explorer Touch Mouse, are you saying that we don't have to worry about this? If so, how come, does the Microsoft software install a kext or something?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mouse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy