Is there a way to change my mac's serial #?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

applesandsynths

applesandsynths

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It doesn't even black screen for me. For me, the disk spins up on boot, i try D, i try C, {censored}+option+command+delete, nothing gets the disc to boot. I booted into -s and checked to see if the disc shows up, and only my hard drive does. I've tried recreating the image, and it still doesn't work. Anyone have ideas?

~pcwiz

~pcwiz

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Retired
  • 5,900 posts
jackleek,

Awesoem work :hysterical: I'm not gonna try this on my hack but heres the ReadMe:

THIS READ ME FILE AND THE SOFTWARE IT DESCRIBES IS APPLE CONFIDENTIAL

Set System Serial Number CD, v.3T100, part number 063-6541.

A utility to set the system serial number on Intel based Macintosh computers.

USAGE:
Insert the CD and start the system using the D key, then follow on-screen instructions.
If a problem occurs when reading the current value, then the utility will report it as "value unknown".
If a problem occurs when writing the new value, then the utility will report an error, e.g. "( -1 0xfffffe )".

ENTERING DATA:
You need to click in text the field before being able to enter data into it.

SHUT DOWN COMMAND:
On slot fed optical drives:
- the disk will eject;
- a pause of approximately 10 seconds will occur;
- the unit will then shut down.

On tray fed optical drives:
- the tray will eject;
- the tray will inject;
In both cases the pause can be interrupted by pressing any key, including the Return key.

RESTART COMMAND:
The CD will not eject, the unit will immediately reboot.

KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS:
'.' : "Cancel" button when available
'R' : "Restart" button when available
'S' : "Shutdown" button when available
return : default button when outlined

Field Diagnostic Applications, March 2006

Does anyone know if this is safe to use on a hackintosh? Probably not right?

applesandsynths

applesandsynths

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The point of this image is to change the serial number of a Mac computer.. If you don't have a mac, there isn't any point in changing it...The serial number is stored in NV ram on mac's.... so this wouldn't apply to you..

I hope someone has information for me soon.. :o Sitting by patiently!

DigitalK

DigitalK

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
still hoping for a new version.

airbillion

airbillion

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Any updates on this program? When I boot with my black macbook sr 2.2 it is just a hardware profiler not a sn reset program. Am I doing something wrong?

schwartz

schwartz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Maybe a stupid question but What is the point of changing the serial number of your mac?

if your computer is stolen or u want to fix a computer under someone elses warranty maybe

airbillion

airbillion

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

if your computer is stolen or u want to fix a computer under someone elses warranty maybe

Also if you had your logic board replaced and the serial number was not restored. That is what happened to me. The boot disk only boots as a hardware information disk on my blackbook sr 2.2. Does anyone have another newer version of this program or can someone test it on a newer macbook (Nov. 2007) to see if it works?

i_am...me

i_am...me

Macbook Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

does this disk can work with mbp? I use it to restore my original serial number with mbp, mbp cannot boot from the disk.

Read the README!
it says to boot holding the D key. So i goes in to diagnostics mode and starts the AHT, if you dont have AHT on there then it wont work

airbillion

airbillion

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Read the README!
it says to boot holding the D key. So i goes in to diagnostics mode and starts the AHT, if you dont have AHT on there then it wont work

After the AHT (apple hardware test?), does it allow you to change the serial number? The CD boots for me into the AHT, but there is no option to restore or change the serial number. Am I missing something?

dannieboiz

dannieboiz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
does anyone have one for the newer MBP? I have a 2.4ghz that I need to do this on.

pawn3d

pawn3d

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Maybe a stupid question but What is the point of changing the serial number of your mac?

a few of us dont want to be stalked for the rest of our lives

WATCH THIS

and then report back

christomapher

christomapher

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I have been trying to get this to work for my MBP 2.2GHz with 10.5.2:

I haven't been able to boot from the CD. :(

Is there a special way to burn this as a bootable CD? Disk Utility and Toast don't seem to have any option to "make CD bootable", and because the files are hidden, I am not sure if there is a certain file I'm looking for that will indicate that the CD is automatically bootable.

Does this program work with 10.5(.2)? I'd really appreciate any help regarding this subject, it'd be very useful.

Thanks in advance!

TheSerialChanger

TheSerialChanger

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
This vertion will not work on the new 2.2 and 2.4 macbook and macbook pro since when this was created the 2.2 and 2.4 did not exist. i do have a vertion that will set it for the 2.2 and 2.4 lol

dogie

dogie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
so please share with us :>

moldymac

moldymac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Please send it if you have the utility, would be most appreciated!

jamsoft

jamsoft

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Set System Serial Number CD

Here's a utility that allows you to set/change your computer's serial number on Intel based Macintosh computers.

NOTE: Unfortunately this utility doesn't seem to work with a lot of the newer Intel Macs. If anyone has an updated version PLEASE SHARE IT! (or PM me so I can host it).

Download: SysSerNum_cd.zip
Size: 508 KB
Version: 0.3T100
Part Number: 063-6541

Instructions:

• Unzip "SysSerNum_cd.zip"
  • Insert a blank CD and open 'Disk Utility'.
  • In the menu go to "Images" > "Burn..."
  • Select the disk image "\\.PSF\Josh\SetSysSerSum.dmg" (the one you just unzipped) and click "Burn"
  • You're good to go! Simply restart your computer while holding down the "D" key and follow the on-screen instructions.
ReadMe for Set SysSerNum CD v.3T100.txt (included in the DMG)
USAGE:
	Insert the CD and start the system using the D key, then follow on-screen instructions.

If a problem occurs when reading the current value, then the utility will report it as "value unknown".
	If a problem occurs when writing the new value, then the utility will report an error, e.g. "( -1  0xfffffe )".

ENTERING DATA:
	You need to click in text the field before being able to enter data into it.

SHUT DOWN COMMAND:
	On slot fed optical drives:
		- the disk will eject; 

On tray fed optical drives:
		- the tray will eject; 
		- the tray will inject;
	In both cases the pause can be interrupted by pressing any key, including the Return key.

RESTART COMMAND:
	The CD will not eject, the unit will immediately reboot.

KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS:
	'.'	  : "Cancel" button when available
	'R'	  : "Restart" button when available
	'S'	  : "Shutdown" button when available
	return	: default button when outlined

Field Diagnostic Applications, March 2006

macmendman

macmendman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
i tried the setsyssernum but it boots only to a hardware test utility any help?

жижа

жижа

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i have never bothered to learn much about the inner workings of my computer, but i figure the only stupid question is the one never asked, so i was just wondering if you could boot your computer up in open firmware and type

reset-nvram

i could be wrong but wouldnt this clear your nvram, and therefore your serial number?

if not, then maybe you could do something more complicated, such as

" name of serial number property" delete-property

and then

nv-update

perhaps? even though you would still need to discover the name of the property containing the serial number string :D

as i said i dont really know what im doing, all this is just copy/paste modifications from whatever resources i could find on OF, and i thought i would ask if this might work before actually trying it on my computer :(

MarekGrzas

MarekGrzas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I recently had my logic board replaced,

When I got my MacBook back, some silly repair-centre person had left a CD in the drive called "SetSysSerSum-3T100". The readme file shows it is a utility that when booted into, allows you to, easily with a GUI, change the serial number of any intel mac!

Kinda wary of posting the dmg here, but if there's interest..!

o you hear about newer version of this software?

GreenMac

GreenMac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the link to the video pawn3d. My lawyer buddy constantly gets delayed and hassled at airports, etc. because, as he puts it, "The only thing I have to hide is my privacy".

Quite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy