iCloud/Facetime/AppStore login errors

eep357

19 posts in this topic

Fixing Login Errors For Apps That Connect To Apple's Servers

These steps should fix 98% of login errors, but some specific exceptions still exist and are omitted to avoid unnecessary confusion. Since this is a FAQ and not a full manual on all things Ethernet, it's not feasible to detail every method mentioned here, but hopefully at least it will let you know where to go next. So always start here!:

To sign into any of the Apple services/apps that require authentication through Apple run servers, there are a few conditions that must be met when first logging in. For apps such as iCloud, once logged in the first time you will stay logged in even after reboots and configuration changes until manually logged out, at which point to log back in the same conditions will again apply.

1) Must have a working ethernet adapter that can at least show up as a possible network connection. It must also work, but you might be able to get away with mostly working if your lucky.

Network.jpg

You'll need a kext that supports your NIC to proceed.

2) It must also show as "Built In".

IOService — IOEthernetInterface.jpg

Three possible ways of doing this which are all different ways of achieving the same result.

Easy way, add following to Chameleon's org.chameleon.Boot.plist in /Extra folder:

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Medium way, add EFI string to Chameleon's org.chameleon.Boot.plist in /Extra folder using tool such as "EFI Studio"

Hard way, edit DSDT to have NIC device, i.e. LAN0 show as internal

3) It needs to be listed as en0. i.e. The first, or primary, network device recognized by OSX

MacBook.jpg

Issue here will usually be that your wifi got enabled first and thus became en0, making your ethernet en1. To correct the issue: First if your wifi device or whatever is currently listed as en0 can be removed/unplugged from your PC by removing 3 screws or less, and you own a screwdriver, remove/unplug it. Next go to System Preferences > Network (as seen above in #1) and click the minus button to remove all the listed network devices, then reboot. Upon reboot return to System Preferences > Network and hit the plus button, add only your ethernet, open System Information (as pictured directly above) and verify Ethernet is now en0, if it is you can add your other devices now too.

If ethernet is still showing as en1, you should then repeat the above steps, but this time just prior to reboot navigate to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ and delete Networkinterfaces.plist and reboot.

Extreeme cases only:

If failure is still an option, and overkill seems necessary, it's possible to manually edit this plist. Again repeat initial steps, then copy plist to your desktop so it will be writable and open it with a text editor, cut an paste your ethernet so it appears first in the list, change every occurrence in it's section of en1 to en0, and vice versa for your prior en0 device, changing all it's en0 occurrences' to en1. Also verify here that ethernet shows:

<key>IOBuiltin</key>
<true/>

and not

<key>IOBuiltin</key>
<false/>

Once your satisfied with your edits (in simpler terms, your basically just swapping the two interfaces in the plist), launch Terminal from Applications/Utilities, enable root user by typing sudo -s and hitting enter, then entering your password when requested. Next enter the following, hitting return after each line:

cp -R ~/Desktop/NetworkInterfaces.plist /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

chown root:wheel /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

chmod 644 /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

reboot

4) You need to have a SMBIOS which includes a valid serial number for the Mac model listed.

MacBook over.jpg

For this, just use

Chameleon Wizard to generate one for you and save to /Extra folder.

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS, BUT IS ALSO RIGHT, AKA-LAST RESORT:

If you've met all the above requirements and ethernet works perfectly to browse the webs, but still can't log into these services, although it shouldn't need to be done manually, you may need to....

First Open IORegistryExplorer (found in Xcode tools)

IODeviceTree1 — platform.jpg

Copy to Text Edit then get your ethernet MAC address

Mac Pro en0.jpgUntitled 3.jpg

Add results to org.chameleon.Boot.plist and after reboot you should see something like this

IODeviceTree — platform.jpg

And hopefully that will be it. Again, this won't cover every last possibility, but should be more than a good start.

• Like 17

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've used Chameleon Wizard the get a right smbios.plist imac11,2

I've followed the guide without success

post-950684-0-61793700-1360708720_thumb.png

post-950684-0-11639700-1360708740_thumb.png

post-950684-0-05367500-1360708754_thumb.png

<key>SystemId</key>

<string>00000000-0000-0000-0000-b0487ad5ecfd</string>

help! :(

You need working ethernet. Also for imessage, different issue and different fix. First make sure you can get into app store and icloud, then you can proceed with trying seperate imessage fix also in tutorials

• Like 1

I'm still using the last revision of Chameleon r2171 with FileNVRAM.dylib, I also added ethernet built in injection and a proper smbios.plist that let me to get iCloud and Apple store working well, but iMessage doesn't work at all! I always get the same mistake :(

Thanks

If iCloud and Appstore work, then your done here. Your issue is with the iMessage specific fix. I haven't used the Chameleon method, only Clover cause it plays nicer with my GPU, and no reason to switch from what already works.

• Like 2

Yes...and No. Best to NOT manually enter system ID if iCloud and Appstore will work without it. iMessage is a whole different issue needing NVRAM variables and maybe even a credit card or IOS device tied to your apple account. Best is to only do bare minimum steps here to get iCloud and Appstore, then move on to separate iMessage fix stuff. If you start doing the advanced options here trying to get iMessage working when iCloud and Appstore already work, it's only going to make the iMessage fix even harder to get working. Less is always better (well in this case anyway)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I satisfy all the conditions but still won't work for me so I had to the SystemId trick. My problem is after a reboot, the SystemId displayed in IOReg did not change. It ends in FF and still FF after a reboot even with the trick.

any ideas? thanks

This is the contents of my org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>DSDT</key>
<string>/Extra/DSDT-orig.aml</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1080x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x2000</string>
<key>SMBIOS</key>
<string>/Extra/SMBios-orig.plist</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>USBBusFix</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>device-properties</key>
<string>4b00000001000000010000003f0000000100000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000150101060000007fff0400160000006200750069006c0074002d0069006e0000000500000001</string>
<key>SystemId</key>
<string>35304535-3439-4332-4336-50e549c2c607</string>
</dict>
</plist>

• 4 weeks later...

Try latest Chameleon 2.2 svn with SMsystemuuid in your smbios.plist instead. See this topic and the Chameleon source code for more information.

(...)

eep, have you seen NullEthernet.Kext? Rehabman is a genius.

NullEthernet.kext creates a fake ethernet device. Now everyone can have built-in ethernet. :thumbsup_anim:

I satisfy all the conditions but still won't work for me so I had to the SystemId trick. My problem is after a reboot, the SystemId displayed in IOReg did not change. It ends in FF and still FF after a reboot even with the trick.

any ideas? thanks

This is the contents of my org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>DSDT</key>
<string>/Extra/DSDT-orig.aml</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1080x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x2000</string>
<key>SMBIOS</key>
<string>/Extra/SMBios-orig.plist</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>USBBusFix</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>device-properties</key>
<string>4b00000001000000010000003f0000000100000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000150101060000007fff0400160000006200750069006c0074002d0069006e0000000500000001</string>
<key>SystemId</key>
<string>35304535-3439-4332-4336-50e549c2c607</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Try latest Chameleon 2.2 svn with SMsystemuuid in your smbios.plist instead. See this topic and the Chameleon source code for more information.

(...)

And use uuidgen command (terminal) to generate your own

• Like 1

• 11 months later...