[Guide] ML Install Guide for Lenovo G580

alberto122509

65 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, this is a guide for Lenovo G580 laptops, this should also work if you have the same components.

Download this ZIP file which contains all the kexts, programs, and DSDT that you will need.

http://www.mediafire.com/?09mvusw0y5w23du

Introduction

This Lenovo G580 comes with the following components.

Intel i3 3110M

Intel HD Graphics 4000

Atheros AR8162 Ethernet

Broadcom BCM4313

Realtek ALC269 Audio Codec.

2 USB 3.0 on left side.

1 USB 2.0 on right side

What Works

USB 3.0 works OOB but only with USB 3.0 devices.

Internal Web Cam works OOB

Card Reader works OOB

Audio works with the AppleHDA that I patched.

Graphics with Full Resolution and QE/CI after device properties injection.

Screen Saver OOB

What Doesn't Work

Broadcom BCM4313 Wifi does not work, you will either have to buy an Atheros AR5B95 (which is listed on the Whitelist and works with OSX) or a WiFi USB Adapter, I'm using a D-Link DWA-131 (Costs $29.99)

Installation

I will not explain how to create a bootable USB stick here, there are 1000s of tutorials which will teach you that.

I personally tried to use MYHACK, but didn't work, so I ended up using the ##### method with the patched files to install it on an MBR Partition.

First Boot-Up

When you first boot up (when you create your account) It is VERY important that you follow these instructions, or else you will have to end up reinstalling the OS again.

Make sure you have the file you downloaded from the top of this post in a separate USB Stick, because you won't have internet access just yet.

Open the folder, under programs, open up #####.

Under Drivers -> Miscellaneous Select FAKESMC, NullCPUPowerManagment, and the PS2 Controller (If you don't your keyboard and trackpad WON'T WORK)

Make sure you also install Chimera under Bootloader (Make sure you use chimera, I've tried other bootloaders and they ended up breaking my system)

Don't Restart Just Yet.

Go to your S/L/E folder and delete AppleHDA, and AppleACPIPlatform.

Now go back to the folder you downloaded from here and copy every kext in the Battery, Audio, and ALXEthernet folder to your desktop. Under the Programs folder, run #####.

Now in the same folder again, copy everything in the Extra Folder to YOUR Extra Folder.

Now Reboot, Audio Should work, your battery metter should work, ethernet will work, and you will have Full Resolution with QE/CI

The End Result

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKpdQFU1h74

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I have a g580 (2689) with I5-3210, followed this guide and everything works as promised. Still a lot that doesn't work but it's functional, got brightness control using fn+ins and fn+Home, using PNLF_SB patch from DSDT editor patchs located in sandy notebook folder. Also patched EHCI and EHCI sleep, close to functional sleep but audio no longer works on resume. Also generate P and C states in chameleon plist editor. Seemed to have added an hour or so to battery life. Added I5 ssdt in mbeast also, not sure if it did anything. Runs Final cut X fairly well, render times are faster then my friends year old macbook pro.

Would like to get functional sleep, remap brightness keys to up and down arrows and HDMI output working. Also would like USB 3.0 to be 2.0 compatible but have no idea where to start on that. Haven't been able to ditch NullPower yet, also a goal. Internal mic does not work also. Tried some of the voodoo options but most of them caused a feedback loop.

FYI WLAN PCI adapter cannot be swapped out, I bought the suggested card and the BIOS whitelist does not allow it. It appears that it cannot currently be edited because there is no copy of the BIOS in the wild yet. Only cards on Lenovos FRU list will work and none appear to be OSX compatible yet. If someone knows of a way to edit the Whitelist with only a backup copy of the BIOS I would love to know about it otherwise it looks like im stuck with USB wifi taking up the only 2.0 port since the 3.0 are currently not backwards compatible.

Alberto, Which model of g580 do you have 2189 or 2689? Also would it be possible for you to list what you patched in the DSDT, I assume you made your own from scratch. Did you use patches from DSDT editor or some manual changes also? Have you made any changes since the guide? Thanks for what you did, I bought my G580 after seeing your guide posted. Can't stand the textured touchpad, and I must have bumped it 20 times typing this it's to big and to easy to hit, kind of a dumb design but all in all a good machine for the price.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have an Alienware m17x R4 in my case and same problem as you for the USB 3.0.. Only works for USB 3.0 devices. xHCI is for USB 3.0 and EHCI is for USB 2.0. If you can disable xHCI in your BIOS, that might fix your USB 3.0 issues but that would make USB 3.0 devices work as 2.0 devices so you don't get the high speed

I have this laptop (G580 20150) with I5, 8GB Ram and 1TB HD ,

Intel HD Graphics 4000. With MYHACK and ###### I can't get past Still waiting for root device during mountain lion install.

ek8w5.jpg

Anyone have any ideas? 3rd generation Intel Core i5-3210M Processor( 2.50GHz 1600MHz 3MB)

• Operating system Windows 8 64
  • Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000
  • Memory 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
  • Display 15.6" HD Glare with integrated camera 1366x768
  • Pointing device Industry Standard Multi-touch 2 button touchpad
  • Hard Drive 1TB 5400 rpm
  • Optical Drive DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
  • Battery 6 Cell Lithium-Ion
  • Network Card Lenovo BGN Wireless
  • Bluetooth Bluetooth Version 4.0
  • Warranty One year
  • Form Factor Notebook
  • Camera Integrated HD Camera
  • HDMI HDMI (Out)

I have this laptop with I5, 8GB Ram and 1TB HD ,Intel HD Graphics 4000. With MYHACK and ###### I can't get past Still waiting for root device during mountain lion install. Anyone have any ideas?

Word filters are there for a reason, not to be bypassed. If I should follow my own rule to the letter, I should suspend your account for a month. But I can see that you are new. So for this time you get only a warning.

Thanks for the excellent guide. However many things didn't seem to work on my system even though I have same hardware.

I will now try to explain the extra steps that I had to take to get hackintosh working.

1. First of all, if at the start of installation process your laptop starts a screeching noise or stops at any particular point, then try the kernel flags

-x -v UseKernelCache=No

2. Complete the installation and create user account. Follow the guide of @alberto122509 and if everything works fine then you are good to go.

3. If your computer hangs at "still waiting for root device" then use the kernel flag:

-v UseKernelCache=No rd=diskXsY PCIRootUID=0

Bit explaining here. I have one single hard-disk with 3 partitions. First for Windows 8, second for ML and third again NTFS.So I have used the flag rd=disk0s2.

If it still does not proceed then try with -x flag again for safe mode. After startup follow step 4.

4. For the problem of "still waiting for root device", create a new file in TextEdit with folllowing content:

#!/bin/bash
cd /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS
sudo mv IOAHCIBlockStorage IOAHCIBlockStorage.orig
sudo cp IOAHCIBlockStorage.orig IOAHCIBlockStorage
sudo /usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's|\x8b\x4a\x00\x00\xeb\x03|\x8b\x4a\x00\x00\xe8\x01|g' IOAHCIBlockStorage
sudo /usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's|\x74\x0e\x48\x8d\x3d\x72\x92\x00\x00|\xbf\xc8\x00\x00\x00\x90\x90\x90\x90|g' IOAHCIBlockStorage
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Run it in terminal and give your password when it asks. I found this script while browsing but I don't remember where so I take no credit.

5. To use all USB 3 ports even with USB 2, go to http://www.osx86.net...do=file&id=3655. Use only USB kext, VoodooHDA results in screeching noise at boot time.

6. My sound was not working. Trackpad was working but only barely. I installed above mentioned USB 3 and ALC269's kext from http://www.osx86.net...do=file&id=3445. Sound is still not working but trackpad is fully functional. Not sure which one of these two kexts did it though.

That is all. For WiFi I am looking for cheap USB adapter. The one mentioned is not available in India so If you know one working with OSX and available on flipkart (my limitation), then please do share. Also If anyone managed to have sound working without that dreaded screeching noise, please tell me.

EDIT-1:

Finally I managed to get my Sound and trackpad (with 2-finger scrolling) working. I had to remove support for USB 3 though, the kexts used here have some plugins of 32-bit

which results in very long boot time (UseKernelCache=Yes does not work). Here is what I did:

a) Forget step 5 and 6

b.) Go to http://www.osx86.net...do=file&id=1448 and download the first file only (Trackpad.Synaptic-gestures.zip)

c) Remove any PS2 kext from /S/L/E, that is any kext which has word "PS2" in its name. I removed AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and VoodooPS2.kext.

Also some kexts may have PS2 kexts in them in plugins folder, so take care of them.

d) Copy trackpad.prefpanes to /L/PreferencePanes. Just to be safe, also create folder /L/PREFPANES and copy into it too.

e) Install the new kext files with kext wizard. Now run Kext Utility, if it can build kernel cache (without timeout) then everything went well.

f) Now for audio, delete AppleHDA.kext. Install Voodoo 2.7.2.

g) Now move the installed VoodooHDA from /S/L/E to desktop (delete the one in /S/L/E)

h) Right click on it and go to "Show package content", open info.plist with any texteditor.

i) Find "iGain" and set it to 0. Save the new kext and install it with Kext Wizard.

j) Finally repair all permissions, rebuild cache etc. Reboot and you will have a working sound and trackpad.

k) Open System Settings -> VoodooHDA and check "Use SSE2" to stop crackling noise.

Will continue to look for USB 3, wish me luck.

EDIT-2:

Now all USB ports are working with USB 2.0 devices. Just cut the IOUSBFamily.kext from /S/L/E to desktop. Open with "Show Package Contents"

and delete xhci kext from plugins. Install this modified kext with Kext Wizard and rebuild kernel cache.

• Like 2

I picked up the g580 yesterday and it actually has the ar9285 wireless card. I remember the one hackintosh I've done in the past I had a ar9285 card and had no issues. So, am I correct

In saying with this g580 having the ar9285 that everything should work fairly well then, wifi included? It's my wife's birthday present so I didn't want her to have to repeatedly deal with issues. Thanks!

Picked up the i3-ivy @ 2.5 G580, haven't unboxed it yet since I heard the touchpad is lousy (low response/dpi) and the store doesn't return it if it's opened (only exchange).

I really wanna crack it open and help out but I need your guys opinion about the trackpad!

AR9285 should be no problem with a modified IO80211Family.kext (since lenovo had diff id), you can modifythis yourself or use a pre-modded one. Alberto has this!

If you have a diff card all it takes is 2 screws and you have access to wifi card, ram, and hdd. (I think it comes w one stick of 4GB, so 8GB should be easy - HD4000 will show 512MBram)

I'm against using VoodooHDA since it's never been as good as the appleHDA.

Oh and guys please compare BIOS versions since it make a big diff (esp regarding DSDT).

Wanna help w DSDT but need honest opinion of touchpad since I'm anti-mouse hehe

Cheers!

Oh by the way have you guys gotten card reader to work? If not let me know, I have a VoodooHDSC kext.

@vcrman I've played around with the laptop for a little bit and I honestly have no complaints about the trackpad whatsoever. The response seems to be perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned. I've already got it powered down for the night, but ill post my bios version tomorrow since you were asking about it.

• Like 1

I have an Alienware m17x R4 in my case and same problem as you for the USB 3.0.. Only works for USB 3.0 devices. xHCI is for USB 3.0 and EHCI is for USB 2.0. If you can disable xHCI in your BIOS, that might fix your USB 3.0 issues but that would make USB 3.0 devices work as 2.0 devices so you don't get the high speed

-Bravo!

Has anyone been able to enable USB 3 support? I can only use USB 2 ports, other two USB 3 ports won't work. If you have any solution then please post.

Edited by vcrman

I got a Lenovo G480 (20156)

BIOS VERSION: 62CN41WW

CPU: i3-3110M

Got almost everything working, this topic helped to fix HD4000, KernelCache, Audio. But Using VoodoHDA, will try to replace with AppleHDA later.

Now the problem is sleep. If i close the laptop lead, screen turns off, but doesn't turn on after that anyhow. :/

got brightness control using fn+ins and fn+Home, using PNLF_SB patch from DSDT editor patchs located in sandy notebook folder. Also patched EHCI and EHCI sleep, close to functional sleep but audio no longer works on resume.

can you tell how you managed brightness control and sleep ? link's to guide or sharing your dsdt.aml will be very helpful.

@shane369. try this: [http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=3534]

install with this:

[http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/253395-kext-wizard-easy-to-use-kext-installer-and-more/]

Let me know how it goes.

@sarim khan, you need a diff DSDT, DSDT is model specific. I don't have a DSDT yet.

Apparenlty, to get USB 2.0 working on the USB 3.0 ports we need a massive/complicated DSDT edit. (I don't know how to do it....yet....)

we need DSDT edits to get rid of CPUNullpowermangemnt kext, that kext breaks sleep!

also for the track pad use this, it's so worth it:

http://www.marcmoini.com/sx_en.html

so basically modded BIOS or DSDT w func power management.... working on the latter.... but would LOVE the former! (esp with Wi-Fi whitelist removed) :)

Alright guys, I have a Lenovo g580 with the exact same specs as the OP. I created a bootable USB Lion installer (not Mtn Lion, dont know if that makes a difference) but in the process of booting to the USB, I get stuck at "still waiting for root device" I tried following anuragsn7's instructions above, but none of his solutions worked for me. Anyone have any ideas?

• Like 1

@Mjtill: no Lion will not work, unless you update to the latest version 10.7.5. Even then I recomment 10.8. (because we have Ivy bridge cpus and hd4000, i believe no support for them in Lion until 10.7.3, not sure). Try and buy ML it's only 20$ and much better than Lion! (Lion = Vista) Also are you using the USB 2.0 port??

@sarim khan: did you try it? I'm trying to help and all you say is No... beautiful Mr.Khan! Thank you! (read below for the DSDT fixes to help you out, if you know how to make the edits then perfect, report back and upload DSDT please!)

anybody been able to access the BIOS? the only time i was able to access it was when i had Win8 and i rebooted from the OS.

btw all this kernel cache No stuff is because some folks are using 32-but kexts.... NOT ideal. With 64-bit only kexts no need for kernel cache off...

So use 64-bit VoodooPS2 for trackpad and use the smartscroll app for scrolling gestures. For audio I'm searching for alc269 kexts, but what we really need it to use the patche AppleHDA with the proper DSDT edits!

I'm getting help for my DSDT to get USB 3.0 accept 2.0 drives as well (prob the hardest DSDT edit) I think this will help fix sleep as it appears to be linked to USB issues. Maybe even include the atheros wireless fix in the DSDT! adios!

also here are some dsdt edits that we need, especially for sleep:

USB Sleep Fix: Find the EHC2 and EHC1 sections and insert this method before the _PWR method in both sections:

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package (0x0B)

{

"AAPL,clock-id",

Buffer (One)

{

0x01

},

"device_type",

Buffer (0x05)

{

"EHCI"

},

"AAPL,current-available",

0x04B0,

"AAPL,current-extra",

0x02BC,

"AAPL,current-in-sleep",

0x03E8,

Buffer (One)

{

0x00

}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

then:

Comp wakes up immediately from sleep since we need to patch HD Audio:

Audio Patch:Allows the sound card to be detected as an HDEF audio card. Replace the Device (AZAL) section with this:

Device (HDEF)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package (0x04)

{

"codec-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x16, 0x76, 0x84, 0x83

},

"layout-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

}

DSDT + AppleHDA.kext should work! We need this for working sleep without SSDT tables (but I'm working on those too!)

Again I'm no pro and asking other to help me with DSDT so stay posted for DSDT+SSDT fixes! I'll then update the guide for 10.8 install on my G580 w i3-3120M (2.5Ghz).

Also I find this helps w smoothness regardless of DSDT:

try this then: http://forge.voodoop.../voodootscsync/

IOCPUNumber=2 in the Info.plist (because we have 2 cores hypethreaded)

...No, this is another thing. :wink2: