[AMD] {GUIDE} Install Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

woellie123

33 posts in this topic

how far are you with yourlion.png installation?

Thanks for asking, I was wondering what BIOS settings I need when I do it with 2 USBs (one USB 2.0 from 2GB for the nawcom and one USB 3.0 32GB for the retail snow leopard) is it a problem if I use 2 USBs (and one being usb 2 and other one being usb 3 ?)

Further: do I need .dmg or .iso retail version? I now have a .dmg version but I don't know the best way to put it on an USB drive, I tried it like this: http://www.maciverse...lash-drive.html is that correct?

Thanks for helping me :-)

I tried installin Nawcom's USB Mod (OSX86_ModUSB.pkg) on my USB but it says installation failed. Do I need to format it in a particilar way?

Thanks for asking, I was wondering what BIOS settings I need when I do it with 2 USBs (one USB 2.0 from 2GB for the nawcom and one USB 3.0 32GB for the retail snow leopard) is it a problem if I use 2 USBs (and one being usb 2 and other one being usb 3 ?)

Further: do I need .dmg or .iso retail version? I now have a .dmg version but I don't know the best way to put it on an USB drive, I tried it like this: http://www.maciverse...lash-drive.html is that correct?

Thanks for helping me :-)

I tried installin Nawcom's USB Mod (OSX86_ModUSB.pkg) on my USB but it says installation failed. Do I need to format it in a particilar way?

you can create with Transmac, macdrive or with UltraISO or MagicISO the install DVD from a *.dmg with Windows, there are certainly other options that I have not mentioned how to create a bootable DVD.

for USB stick they can do with Transmac or with macdrive.

use Google Search!!

Edited by spakk

you can create with Transmac, macdrive or with UltraISO or MagicISO the install DVD from a *.dmg with Windows, there are certainly other options that I have not mentioned how to create a bootable DVD.

for USB stick they can do with Transmac or with macdrive.

use Google Search!!

I now installed the .pkg file from Nawcom MODUSB on my USB and I also installed the .dmg on the other USB successfully. Now when I boot I have boot priority: First Boot Device: USB-HDD and Second Boot Device: USB-HDD and Third Boot Device: Hard Disk

BIOS Settings as in spakk's first post. Still can't find SATA3 Ctrl Mode [AHCI] in the Intregrated Peripherals menu in the BIOS though. I don't have ON Board 1394 Function either (I think this is 990FXA-UD3 only)

Other BIOS settings I made:

AMD C1E Support [Disabled]

Virtualization: [Enabled]

AMD K8 Cool&Quiet control [Auto]

Hard Disk Boot Priority:

1: USB-HDD0 SanDisk U3 Cruzer Micro (Nawcom ModUSB)

2: Ch2 S.: Samsung HD642JJ (I want to install OS X on this disk)

3: CH2 M. : OCZ-PETROL (my SSD where Windows is installed on)

4: Ch0 S. : Samsung HD502IJ (just a hard disk for movies and music etc.)

When I hold F12 in the boot menu and select USB-HDD it goes to a black Screen with "Loading Operating System ..."

First Boot Device is my Nawcom ModUSB

Snow Leopard USB drive (other one) isn't connected yet.

I now installed the .pkg file from Nawcom MODUSB on my USB and I also installed the .dmg on the other USB successfully. Now when I boot I have boot priority: First Boot Device: USB-HDD and Second Boot Device: USB-HDD and Third Boot Device: Hard Disk

BIOS Settings as in spakk's first post. Still can't find SATA3 Ctrl Mode [AHCI] in the Intregrated Peripherals menu in the BIOS though. I don't have ON Board 1394 Function either (I think this is 990FXA-UD3 only)

Other BIOS settings I made:

AMD C1E Support [Disabled]

Virtualization: [Enabled]

AMD K8 Cool&Quiet control [Auto]

Hard Disk Boot Priority:

1: USB-HDD0 SanDisk U3 Cruzer Micro (Nawcom ModUSB)

2: Ch2 S.: Samsung HD642JJ (I want to install OS X on this disk)

3: CH2 M. : OCZ-PETROL (my SSD where Windows is installed on)

4: Ch0 S. : Samsung HD502IJ (just a hard disk for movies and music etc.)

When I hold F12 in the boot menu and select USB-HDD it goes to a black Screen with "Loading Operating System ..."

First Boot Device is my Nawcom ModUSB

Snow Leopard USB drive (other one) isn't connected yet.

• Your board has no adjustment options to AHCI as GA990FXA-UD3. Then you change the Bios OnChip SATA Type to AHCI then you check if that works.

• to install osx, please remove this hardware from your computer, you can install this hardware again after completion:

3: CH2 M.: OCZ PETROL (my SSD, Windows is installed on) 4: Ch0 p: Samsung HD502IJ (only one hard drive for movies and music, etc.)

This might disturb the process.

• you can try this method of chriss111. you use the USB Lion installer and remove the mach_kernel and add the ANV legacy kernel for snow leopard in the top post is described. The USB LION installer has all the necessary drivers in Extra. that you can insert into your USB stick.

click here but the page is in French

Good luck!!

• Your board has no adjustment options to AHCI as GA990FXA-UD3. Then you change the Bios OnChip SATA Type to AHCI then you check if that works.

• to install osx, please remove this hardware from your computer, you can install this hardware again after completion:

This might disturb the process.

• you can try this method of chriss111. you use the USB Lion installer and remove the mach_kernel and add the ANV legacy kernel for snow leopard in the top post is described. The USB LION installer has all the necessary drivers in Extra. that you can insert into your USB stick.

click here but the page is in French

Good luck!!

The USB Lion Installer doesn't even want to install.

I suppose I won't get it to work, nothings working anymore

:fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

I disconnected both my OCZ Petrol and Samsung HD502IJ and still no luck...

Too bad none of the guides are working out for me :(

As you guys might've heard on IRC I installed Lion on my machine with MyHack with changed kernel.

Im booted now, working on internet connection and such stuff.

And I reformatted the drive, Lion isn't working out on AMD.

Now running Snow Leopard

Sound is working already,

internet isn't working yet

changing resolutins isn't working yet (stuck on 1024x768)

booting without MyHack USB isn't working yet.

My current bootflag is: rd(0,0)/Extra/legacy_kernel arch=i386 -force64 busratio=165 npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=1 -v

Installing MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.8.pkg isn't working either.

Once more my system:

Gigabyte 990FXA-D3

AMD FX-6100

Ati Radeon 4850 HD 512 MB

16GB Corsair Vengeance memory