[Guide] ML 10.8.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760)

pepto

127 posts in this topic

Working Mountain Lion 10.8.4 and Mavericks 10.9 Developer Previewe Beta 4

Thank you, for this guide...my configuration is:

GT 640 1GB GDDDR5 Low Profile- Working OOB no kext no GraphicsEnebler needed

FireWire400 TI chip Low Profile - Working OOB

M-audio Fast Track USB

8GB DDR 667Mhz

Intel Core2Duo 3.33Ghz

BIOS configuration, verry important:

Virtualization OFF - this is for the ACPIplatform boot error

Only used the 3 kexts FakeSMC.kext, NullCpuPowerManagement.kext y ElliotForceLegacyRTC.kext

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this very informative post. I have a Optiplex 760 at the house and can't wait to configure it following the guide. One question though, more to fuel my curiosity than anything else. I see the kexts are computer specific, which saves a lot of time, but why not use MyHack? Wouldn't it achieve the same thing?

"2. Requirements

Here are the requirements:

• A copy of Mac OS X – This can be in the form of an existing hackintosh, a virtual machine within Windows or Linux, or even a regular Mac. If you don’t have any of these things, then find someone who can help you out for a while. I prefer using a hackintosh with OSX Lion.

Using an already working copy of Mac OS X either in a VM or a native hackintosh install is HIGHLY recommended.

A copy of Mountain Lion 10.8 GM – If you don’t have a Mac Developer Account, then you’ll find torrents of 10.8 around the web"

I dont understand this part. First it says i need a copy of MAC OS X, So i purchased and downloaded 10.8 from the Appstore. Then it says i also need a copy of Mountain Lion 10.8 GM. I dont see where is the 10.8 GM used in the tutorial. Am i missing something ??

It's ok if you downloaded 10.8.x (last patched version, now, september 2013 is 10.8.5 ) from the Appstore. But you need a working machine with MacOS (or an old hakkintosh) , by example, with 10.6 (SL) or 10.7 (Lion) to prepare the install.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280756-guide-the-all-in-one-guide-to-vanilla-os-x-including-chameleon-dsdt-for-beginners/?hl=essential%20ml

Thanks for this very informative post. I have a Optiplex 760 at the house and can't wait to configure it following the guide. One question though, more to fuel my curiosity than anything else. I see the kexts are computer specific, which saves a lot of time, but why not use MyHack? Wouldn't it achieve the same thing?

I think you achieve the same, like Speedy Gonzales, but someone prefer to manually install, it's more funny to deep in "OSX world". The kexts (kernel extension) is like the drivers, in ms-windows world, specific to hardware components.

Thanks for the file matthijs465 i will ad the modified voodooHDA in the install files and the documents after testing on a 780.

pepto

Thanks for the file matthijs465 i will ad the modified voodooHDA in the install files and the documents after testing on a 780.

peppy

Hello, I have an dell_optiplex, with same audio card: ADI 1984A like dell 780, I installed with 10.8.5 update your Voodoo kext 2.62 from the zip file, and it works great. Thanks a lot ! Before 10.8.5 used the voodoo 2.53, the microphone didn't work very well (discussion incomprehensible few minutes after starting). Did you install the10.8.5 Supplemental update (oct/03/2013)?

• 4 weeks later...

Many Thanks for the Great Guide!

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 hackintosh that I did about 2 years back. I got it up and going with a great guide like this one.

I purchased a Dell OptiPlex 760, 3.0ghz, Core2Dual, 4gb ram. The computer should be delivered in a couple of days.

One thing I am very weak on is Video Cards, so it would probably be best for me to use an ATI Radeon HD5450.

A couple of questions I have is,

I am assuming that there is no fix for the onboard sound, that a usb sound adapter is still needed?

Has anyone been able to get Audio working over HDMI? It would make it much easier to hookup to my main LCD TV. Gaming is not important to me, but I like to watch Dvix movies, and Live sports over the internet on my main TV.

I have read that some of the Ge Force 210 cards work natively in Lion, but have not read if anyone has Sound working over HDMI.

Like I said, I do not know much about Video Cards, so if there are no other suggestions for video cards, am I correct in assuming this one will work with this guide?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102882

I am using the Sapphire Ati Radeon HD5450 videocards for my Dell 760 and 780, 1 is a 512MB and 1 1GB. And they working fine in Mavericks and Mountain Lion.

Oke if you have other questions just ask for it, and good luck with your Hackintosh

Hello Pepto,

I have a 1gb Sapphire HD5450 installed in my Optiplex 780.  I finally have it running at full resolution, but the graphics are very laggy and some applications are jittery around the edges.

Any suggestions?

Justin

Do you have a transparent menubar on top. if not then qe/ci isn't enabled. You must also check your in system profile your device id and vendor id if device id is 0x68f9 an vendor id is 0x1002 than you must insert string 0x68f91002 in your kext files, like i have described in the tutorial.

Do you have a transparent menubar on top. if not then qe/ci isn't enabled. You must also check your in system profile your device id and vendor id if device id is 0x68f9 an vendor id is 0x1002 than you must insert string 0x68f91002 in your kext files, like i have described in the tutorial.

Pepto,

I had edited my post to provide a few more details, but apparently I didn't submit it correctly.  I have placed my Device ID in both of the kext files.  I have double checked them to be sure.

This morning I'm going to reapply the unedited kexts and start the process over.  My device id seems to be different than other I have seen on forum posting.  It is 0x68e4.  Could there be something slightly different with this Sapphire HD5450 1GB card?

Justin

Thanks dor the nice guide with which i got 10.8.2 running on my dell.

.. ok its only 95 % as the app store is still not working, i cant login and get

"unknown error...."

but now my main problem:

i bought the genuine apple bluetooth keyboard which works under osx but not during the boot

process. so i cannot acces bios and cannot choose bootmedia in chameleon. also wireless

2.4 ghz mouse does not work during boot but works in osx.

Any clue on what i can do to get both to work during boot ?

I dont want to connect an additional keyboard on usb port... 

Thanks dor the nice guide with which i got 10.8.2 running on my dell.

.. ok its only 95 % as the app store is still not working, i cant login and get

"unknown error...."

but now my main problem:

i bought the genuine apple bluetooth keyboard which works under osx but not during the boot

process. so i cannot acces bios and cannot choose bootmedia in chameleon. also wireless

2.4 ghz mouse does not work during boot but works in osx.

Any clue on what i can do to get both to work during boot ?

I dont want to connect an additional keyboard on usb port... 

During boot you can't use the bluetooth devices. Sorry.

For the app store follow my steps for icloud and appstore fix.

...thats what i thought....

Is it possible to configure chameleon in such a way that

it starts osx right away or starts osx after say 10 seconds or so ?

i tried "quiet boot" but still the bootscreen shows up and one

has to choose the boot volume which is not possible due to bluetooth.

I also followed your instructions about apple shop but to no avail.

will do it some more times.

When i try to log into the store i get  message that my apple id was suspended, although

i can login from my ipad without any problems....

You mean that your Bios doesn't recognize the BT keyboard when you power on your PC ?

If it's recognized, you should be able to select partitions on boot. I have an Wireless USB keyboard/mouse and they are recognized but I don't know for BT. You can also configure Chameleon with boot flag Time Out = 5 secs for exemple with default partition set to your OS X partition but you still won't be able to select another one. Or maybe with boot flag Instant Menu which will send you directly to the selection screen and maybe it will let the time to the BT keyboard to finish setup.

Hope it'll helps :-)

I have noow installed a bluetooth stick from which is said it will also run during boot on hackintoshes, but even this one does#not work during boot on the 780. But it connects instantly when osx is running. With the old one it sometimes took more than 30 sec..

Appstor is working now. I edited the chamaleon.plist a couple of times but to no avail.

I had to use chameleon wizard and now it works like i like it.

I also have installed the HD5450 card but i am not satisfied with the performance at the moment. I cant get the qe thing running. The status bar is not transparent and the resolution is only 1024x768 although my monitor is able to run up to this 1600 thing.

@pepto: I cant seem to find your instructions about how to edit which kext file for the videocard. Here the device id is 0x68f9 and the manufacturer is 0x1002. I found some instructions in your topic about 10.9 install, but i do not find the kext files you mentioned

(AMDRadeonX3000.kext and AMD5000Controller.kext), which are not in the package..

Anybody out there can help me, maybe sending me the correct kext files as i am a osxnoob at the moment..

Thanks and have a nice weekend....

BTW.. how can i get videos to play ? I installed flash also but no videos and also no youtube videos are played...

those kexts are in S/L/E among the others AMD kexts such as AMD2600Controller or AMDX4000/kexts. If you don't find them, browse your Install USB Stick, they are normally presents in the S/L/E of the installation (use ShowAllFiles if you can't see them). Next, copy them to your desktop and follow the editing method with your ids.

I don't lnow why but according from my own experience, it appears that you have to install AMDRadeonAccelertator.kext to get full QE/CI but it seems that others guys doesn't need it.

Here's my own kexts with the edited ID (Mines are the same as yours 0x68f91002. Install them with Kext Utility (important) not just by dragging them into the Extensions folder and you should be OK

PS: I'm posting from Windows for now and I zipped the kexts directly from there so it may not work because of "we never know" some sort of file corruption. But I'm pretty sure that it's OK.

Patched AMD Kexts.rar

• Like 1

its a litte funny...i was on 10.8.3 and resolution was 1024x768. After installing your kexts the resolution was 1400x1050 but still no qe etc.

Opening launchpad was a pain in the a** and took more than 30 seconds and computer was very laggy.

I downloaded 10.8.5 update, installed your kexts and voila, resolution is up to 1680x1050 and qe etc is working, launchpad starts instantly

withoutdelay.... Now i am happy and really can enjoy my hackintosh :-)

i will start to to explore OSX as i am very new to it !!!

Thanks for all your help guys !

P:S: I have problems with booting the beast with chameleon. It stops with circle of dead...

If i start in verbose mode i can see that it waits for the system mapper.

Booting from installation usb stick works. Looks like i have to play with the chameleon plist a bit...

Hey !

Happy that it worked for you. I forgot to mention that my Kexts are the ones from my Mavericks set up, that's maybe the reason why they didn't fully work for 10.8.3. But now your ready for 10.9 :-)

For you boot issue, take a look at here www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/77150-hang-boot-waitforsystemmapper-org-navi-oembios-suggestions-please-print.html

Maybe you should try to install NULLCpuPowerManagement.kext if you didn't

Hey Pepto !

I got a reccurent issue with VoodooHDA. I can't adjust the volume, the sound is always set at max and whatever the version of VoodooHDA I use, the problem is still the same. Any ideas ?

Hey !

Happy that it worked for you. I forgot to mention that my Kexts are the ones from my Mavericks set up, that's maybe the reason why they didn't fully work for 10.8.3. But now your ready for 10.9 :-)

For you boot issue, take a look at here www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/77150-hang-boot-waitforsystemmapper-org-navi-oembios-suggestions-please-print.html

Maybe you should try to install NULLCpuPowerManagement.kext if you didn't

Hey Pepto !

I got a reccurent issue with VoodooHDA. I can't adjust the volume, the sound is always set at max and whatever the version of VoodooHDA I use, the problem is still the same. Any ideas ?

Hello Polyzargone

I f have noticed that yesterday i have the same issue, i have tried the latest VooDooHDA.kext but still the same. I never noticed that because i have table speakers with a volume button so i never knew it.

I am searching if someone has the same issue with the voodooHDA.

Hi folks !

VoodooHDA issue solved !

Actually, the fix is already built-in the VoodooHDA kext. Just open the info.plist with Plist Editor Pro, look at the IOKitPersonnalities and under VoodooHDA, set VoodooHDAEnableVolumeChangeFix to Yes. Install the patched voodooHDA kext with Kext Utility and reboot.

Voilà ! Volume slider now works as it should !

vodoohda fixed.zip

• Like 1