nForce OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

217 posts in this topic

So my system has been working fine the past month or so, but ive been using the ###### usb to boot and i would like for it to boot off my HDD.

I finally have some time to play around again.

My chameleon is updated, i removed the apple policy kext and re-complied my DSDT.aml file.

This is where my system hangs, any ideas?

8264988743_6869739a75_b_d.jpg

@ brandoc0mmand0

If manny's suggestion does not work then:

1. Zip up your unpatched and patched dsdt.dsl or dsdt.aml files and give me a download link for them...............I will take a look for you........:)

2. Also confirm that your OS X HDD partition is properly set up as active..........see post #27 above.

3. Also for good measure have a go at doing via Terminal

sudo chown 0:0 /Volumes/"your target OS X HDD volume name"

then

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
exit

Close Terminal and then go to /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup and delete the files within Startup.....

IOKitPersonalities_i386.ioplist.gz

IOKitPersonalities_x86_64.ioplist.gz

kernelcache

KextPropertyValues_OSBundleHelper_i386.plist.gz

KextPropertyValues_OSBundleHelper_x86_64.plist.gz

@ brandoc0mmand0

BTW you can hopefully eliminate the "ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed" bootup error message by confirming that you have in your org.chameleon.Boot.plist file:

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

The P-States and C-States generated by Chameleon are exported to the system via additional SSDTs, so if your BIOS has native SSDTs with _CST methods you should use "DropSSDT" = "Yes" option in org.chameleon.Boot.plist as follows:

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

Likewise, if you have a modded DSDT with _CST methods you should remove them or there will be a kernel panic on system start.

As I said before, I will check your DSDT for you.......:)

@ brandoc0mmand0

Glad to help.......what were the steps that solved your HDD bootup issues?.........other readers having the same problem will benefit from knowing........:)

They were some very basic steps that I totally missed.

After installing the Chameleon bootlader, the extras folder including extensions and the .plist file were not added, so I needed to manually add those. And I was also missing the nForceLan kext.

Got those all put in place, changed the timeout on the plist so it would boot up without any key presses, and voila!

Running perfectly now with having to use external USB to boot.

Only thing I notice now, is sometimes upon restart or shutdown, the computer doesn't correctly do it. Any ideas?

@ brandoc0mmand0

With OS X Mountain Lion, you should put all your non-Apple kexts in /System/Library/Extensions/.......that is:

AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext

AppleRTC.MLion.Patched.kext

EvOreboot.kext

FakeSMC.kext

nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext if setting up Native Power Management in OS X.......

So, if you have not already done so, try the following:

1. Transfer ALL kexts in /Extra/Extensions/ to /System/Library/Extensions/, leaving /Extra/Extensions/ empty.

2. Modify your org.chameleon.Boot.plist file to include

<key>UseKernelCache</key>

<string>Yes</string>

3. Reset /System/Library/Extensions/ kext ownership and permissions and force kernelcache re-creation via these Terminal commands:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

4. For good measure, manually delete the kernelcache and other cache files in /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/.....that is:

IOKitPersonalities_i386.ioplist.gz

IOKitPersonalities_x86_64.ioplist.gz

kernelcache

KextPropertyValues_OSBundleHelper_i386.plist.gz

KextPropertyValues_OSBundleHelper_x86_64.plist.gz

@Verdant

Thanks again for the assistance, I have moved all my kexts over to S/L/E, reset permissions, added string to plist file, and removed caches.

It restarts properly...but shutdown didn't work. I only got to try one time.

FYI, this is my machine at home, so i can only work on it when i get home from the office and i've finished using it.

My next project will be attempting to get the Native Power Management working :P

@ brandoc0mmand0

Talking about power management, confirm your BIOS settings for Power Management Setup /Power as:

ACPI function (Enabled, Disabled) [Enabled]

ACPI Suspend Type (S1&S3, S1(POS), S3(STR)) [s1&S3]

ACPI APIC Support (Disabled, Enabled) [Enabled]

HPET Support (Disabled, Enabled) [Enabled]

and check your shutdown logs, which are to be found in /var/log/ and /private/var/log.......and examine via Terminal by typing:

cd /var/log
nano launchd-shutdown.log
cd /private/var/log
nano launchd-shutdown.log
cd /private/var/log/com.apple.launchd
nano launchd-shutdown.system.log
cd /private/var/log/
nano kernel-shutdown.log

• 1 month later...

@ kilopopo

Sleep and wake has not worked properly on my 650i nForce chipset MOBO since OS X 10.5.6.......iLeopod tried for a long time with his 680i MOBO to fix the sleep/wake problem by DSDT modding but came to the conclusion that it was not possible..........

So from OS X 10.5.8 onwards, I have not paid much attention to sleep/wake...........

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, i have an Asus P5n-D nForce 750i motherboard and i tried to install Mountain Lion with the kekst for nforce. The installation is started and completed but i can't boot up after it. I have 2HDD in raid0 with Windows 8 and a standard sata HDD with 2 partitions, one ntfs for storage and one hsf+ where i have installed the OSX. But after installation i can't boot osx because there aren't any bootloader, so i've made a "usb boot disk" with chameleon or chimera and during boot i select my hdd hfs partition with osx installation. With -v -f npci=x2000 PCIRootUID line i can boot until this point....help me please 2hexcvn.jpg

@ XxXPachaXxX

I have not checked in a long while and so I could now be wrong, but as far as I am aware, it is still the case that you cannot run MOBO/BIOS native software RAID i.e. fake-RAID with OS X (ONLY Apple's own OS X software RAID works), although hardware RAID using a RAID PCI-E card may work..... e.g. with Sil3124 or Sil3132 chipsets....

So, it could be because you have used BIOS RAID for Windows 8 HDD.........try disconnecting your Windows HDDs from the MOBO temporarily and reset your BIOS settings against my OS X settings for the 750i chipset and see what happens......

If you still have problems, put the OS X volume as the first physical primary partition on the SATA HDD, if it is not already, and follow my retail install guide......

• Like 1

@ XxXPachaXxX

At present all you are doing is trying to isolate the cause of the "still waiting for boot device" problem...........so just do one step at a time......once the cause is identified, then solutions can be considered.......

I somehow royally screwed myself...

System has been running fine for months, but recently it has become unstable and freezes often so I started messing with BIOS settings and made it even worse. I reset the BIOS, so now I dont know exactly what all the settings are supposed to be, and haven't found a definitive settings guide...

I was going to update the DSDT file, so i removed it from root, put on desktop.

Now when I boot, it gets all the way to the OS, but I have no video. I can hear the system sounds, so i know it booted, I just dont have any video.

Please help! I feel like such an idiot for messing with it >_<

@ brandoc0mmand0

For BIOS settings, see my template (download link and explanation of the template in my nForce OS X Leopard guide) for the 790i:

Series7_nForce_Chipset_BIOS_SettingsV2.pdf

and match the settings for the BIOS parameters in the template that are in your BIOS...........and then boot with -v -x and see what happens......

@ brandoc0mmand0

Is that with or without your DSDT.aml file back in / directory?

Do you also have Windows running on the same PC?

@ brandoc0mmand0

If you can boot into OS X on your bootable ML USB drive on the same PC and the video display is OK, then the PC OS X HDD should be accessible enabling you to move the DSDT.aml file from the Desktop directory back into the root directory.......

@Verdant

I have also tried to boot into OSX using the bootable ML USB, but same issue. Once the OS loads, I have no video.

The weird thing is, i KNOW the OS is loaded and working, because i hit the esc key, and i hear the OSX error sound.

Is there some way i can SSH into the machine?