nForce OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

nForce chipset + Intel CPU nForce 650i and 650i Ultra nForce 750i and 780i nForce 790i and 790i Ultra Possibly nForce 630i nForce 680i

• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

Kilopopo

Kilopopo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I was able to get pass PCI Configuration Begin by using legacy kext EvilAppleACPIPlatform.kext from nawcom.

Now I want my lan connection to work but the problem is it does not get recognized in ML I used nforcelan 64.5 and 64.6 but no luck

instead can you help me patch my dsdt for the lan?

what do i need in able to do this?

thanks

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,570 posts
  • Interests:At home, I have the following computers......
    >
    >
    >
@ Kilopopo

Good to know that nawcom's legacy ACPIPlatform kext enables you to get past "PCI config begin"....... :)

I have no problems using v0.64.5 nForceLAN.kext on my 650i nForce MOBO. Exactly how and where have you installed the nForceLAN.kext?

The v0.64.5 kext for Leopard should be installed manually into /S/L/E (v0/64.6 is not recommended as many have problems with using it), and also, for good measure, rename nvenet.kext as nvenet.kext_Bad.

Then reset the ownwership and permissions of /S/L/E/ via Terminal:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
exit

and then go to /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup and delete these files within Startup….

IOKitPersonalities_i386.ioplist.gz
IOKitPersonalities_x86_64.ioplist.gz
kernelcache
KextPropertyValues_OSBundleHelper_i386.plist.gz
KextPropertyValues_OSBundleHelper_x86_64.plist.gz

Reboot and check if the nForceLAN.kext is being loaded by booting with -v and also by entering the kextstat command in Terminal.....

JohnnyFikCock

JohnnyFikCock

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

@ JohnnyFiCock

Glad you like the guide....... :)

If you have not already done so, try the following:

1. Transfer ALL kexts in /Extra/Extensions/ to /System/Library/Extensions/, leaving /Extra/Extensions/ empty.

2. Modify your org.chameleon.Boot.plist file to include

<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>

3. Reset /System/Library/Extensions/ kext ownership and permissions and force kernelcache re-creation via these Terminal commands:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

4. For good measure, manually delete the kernelcache and other cache files in /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/

5. Reboot into OS X 10.7.3.........and use Disk Utility to repair system permissions......

no luck with this steps :-(

you have other advices for me? i dont see my Problem...

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,570 posts
    >
    >
    >
@ JohnnyFiCock

I suggest you disconnect all USB devices except your USB keyboard and USB mouse and then try to boot OS X Lion.........if that does not work, then further disconnect all HDDs except your OS X HDD, and try booting again.........and report back what happens........

Kilopopo

Kilopopo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Verdant
I got the lan working by using nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext from 10.7.2 installation that i have

now I am tinkering with my alc 883 audio

thanks a lot verdant

JohnnyFikCock

JohnnyFikCock

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
a little step forward:
I disconnected ALL USB devices except my USB Drive, after booting and when the installer apears i connected my mouse and started the installation...works fine
booted back in Lion and done the last few steps, reboot but i cant boot.
and here i think is the Problem:
i have 1 HDD for the System: 1 partition is Lion and the 2 ist MT-Lion

i think i have to delete the hole HDD and put MT-Lion in the front of the HDD, but the Problem is, if this doesnt work, i dont have any MacOSX to modify the boot sequence and the next problem is i cant boot into Lion to install chamelon
or is it possible to boot from the USB drive into my installation of MT-Lion...because i think that was the way i've done it the last time

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,570 posts
    >
    >
    >
@ Kilopopo

Glad you got nForceLAN.kext version 0.64.5 finally working for you......:) Report how you get on with your Realtek ALC883 audio.......

@ JonnyFikCock

If you type in Terminal

diskutil list

you will see the volumes and partition numbers for your /dev/disk# numbers; e.g. in my own case:

/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Microsoft Basic Data FAT32_A 250.0 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_HFS S1TB_OSX_Archive 749.9 GB disk0s3
/dev/disk1
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk1
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
2: Apple_HFS S1TB_GPT_OSX64_Boot 12.9 GB disk1s2
3: Apple_HFS S1TB_GPT_OSX32_1063 189.0 GB disk1s3
4: Apple_HFS S1TB_GPT_OSX32_1064 189.0 GB disk1s4
5: Apple_HFS S1TB_GPT_OSX64_1074 189.0 GB disk1s5
6: Apple_HFS S1TB_GPT_OSX32_1068 189.0 GB disk1s6
7: Apple_HFS S1TB_GPT_OSX64_1068 189.0 GB disk1s7
8: Apple_HFS S1TB_GPT_OSX64_10.8 41.3 GB disk1s8
/dev/disk2
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk2
1: Windows_NTFS Win7_Pro64_Main 250.1 GB disk2s1
2: Windows_NTFS Win7_Pro_64_Backup 250.1 GB disk2s2
/dev/disk3
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk3
1: Apple_HFS S1TB_MBR_OSX32_Boot 13.0 GB disk3s1
2: Apple_HFS S1TB_MBR_OSX32_1056M 189.1 GB disk3s2
3: Apple_HFS S1TB_MBR_OSX32_1056B 189.1 GB disk3s3
4: Apple_HFS S1TB_MBR_OSX32_1058 189.1 GB disk3s5
5: Apple_HFS S1TB_MBR_OSX64_1074 189.1 GB disk3s6
6: Windows_NTFS 1TB_NTFS 230.7 GB disk3s7
/dev/disk4
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk4
1: Linux 1.0 GB disk4s1
2: Windows_NTFS Vista_Ult_32 249.5 GB disk4s3
3: DOS_FAT_32 FAT32_B 111.5 GB disk4s5
4: Linux_Swap 6.1 GB disk4s6
5: Linux 30.7 GB disk4s7
6: Linux 101.2 GB disk4s8
/dev/disk5
0: Apple_partition_scheme *14.2 MB disk5
1: Apple_partition_map 32.3 KB disk5s1
2: Apple_HFS verdantChameleonMLio... 14.1 MB disk5s2

Start either fdisk440 in "editor mode" (from Chameleon boot loader) if you are dual booting with Windows (because it writes the boot0 code to the first 440 bytes of the MBR leaving the Windows MBR code untouched), or the standard OS X fdisk in "editor mode", in Terminal as follows (using my /dev/disk3 as the example):

sudo fdisk440 -e /dev/disk3
or
sudo fdisk -e /dev/disk3

which gives, respectively:

fdisk440: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory
Enter 'help' for information
fdisk: 1>

and

fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory
Enter 'help' for information

In either case you can ignore the error message......

Now you can type "print" or "p" to determine which OS X volume/partition to set as "Active":

fdisk: 1> print
Disk: /dev/disk3 geometry: 121601/255/63 [1953525168 sectors]
Offset: 0 Signature: 0xAA55
		 Starting	   Ending
#: id  cyl  hd sec -  cyl  hd sec [	 start -	   size]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
*1: AF	0   1   1 - 1023 254  63 [		63 -   25427968] HFS+		
2: AF 1023 254  63 - 1023 254  63 [  25428060 -  369360896] HFS+		
3: AF 1023 254  63 - 1023 254  63 [ 394788996 -  369360896] HFS+		
4: 05 1023 254  63 - 1023 254  63 [ 764149892 - 1189375276] Extended DOS

or

fdisk: 1> p
Disk: /dev/disk3 geometry: 121601/255/63 [1953525168 sectors]
Offset: 0 Signature: 0xAA55
		 Starting	   Ending
#: id  cyl  hd sec -  cyl  hd sec [	 start -	   size]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
*1: AF	0   1   1 - 1023 254  63 [		63 -   25427968] HFS+		
2: AF 1023 254  63 - 1023 254  63 [  25428060 -  369360896] HFS+		
3: AF 1023 254  63 - 1023 254  63 [ 394788996 -  369360896] HFS+		
4: 05 1023 254  63 - 1023 254  63 [ 764149892 - 1189375276] Extended DOS

Note that the * symbol alongside a given partition number indicates that this partition is flagged as the active partition.....

Now you can re-choose which partition you want flagged as active:

type f #

where # is replaced by the volume/partition that you want to set as active; for example:

fdisk: 1> flag 1
Partition 1 marked active.
fdisk:*1>

Note the * symbol confirming partition 1 as the active partition.

This change of active partition can now be written to the MBR by typing "quit" at the fdisk prompt:

fdisk:*1> quit
Writing current MBR to disk.
Device could not be accessed exclusively.
A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n]

Typing y at this point will take you back to the Terminal $ prompt, whereas pressing Return will take you back to the fdisk prompt......

Alternatively, if you want the time to make sure of your active partition before writing the change to the MBR, then type "write" instead of "quit" at the fdisk prompt:

fdisk:*1> write
Device could not be accessed exclusively.
A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n]

Typing y at this point will result in:

Writing MBR at offset 0.

Typing "exit" at this point will take you back to the Terminal $ prompt......

For good measure, you can also run the appropriate Chameleon bootloader installer or install the Chameleon boot loader manually to install Chameleon onto each of your OS X system volumes on the HDD.......

JohnnyFikCock

JohnnyFikCock

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
good news:
i'm writting this from MTLion :-) thx verdant

what i've done now:
disconnected all USB devices except my USB Drive, boot to OSX installation, plugged in keyboard and mouse and formated my hdd (1. MTLion 2. Windows) and installed OSX on it
after installation booted again in the installation but i opened terminal and copied all the stuff i need (kext and so on) to MTLion, reboot with USB Drive but then selected my MTLion hdd...it works! installed bootloader and now i can boot with no problems :-) (only Sound dont work, but i have a Idea how to solve it)

now i'm going to install windows and hope that can boot back in OSX sometimes :-)

soooo much thanks to verdant!!!

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,570 posts
    >
    >
    >
@ JonnyFikCock

Glad to have helped and that you got it all sorted but did you check if it was not just as matter of making the original OS X MLion partition active as I explained in post #27 before you did a clean re-install of MLion......?

For easy booting of Windows 7, I use EasyBCD v2.x as my boot manager in Windows, as I have Windows and OS X and Linux on separate HDDs......

JohnnyFikCock

JohnnyFikCock

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

@ JonnyFikCock

Glad to have helped and that you got it all sorted but did you check if it was not just as matter of making the original OS X MLion partition active as I explained in post #27 before you did a clean re-install of MLion......?

For easy booting of Windows 7, I use EasyBCD v2.x as my boot manager in Windows, as I have Windows and OS X and Linux on separate HDDs......

MTLion and Win7 runs perfect now with Chameleon as bootloader!! Thanks

And i checked what you said, but it doesnt really help, because fdisk printed very weired informations about the disks, none of my disks had partitions and some disks had negative count of cylinders...very weird, so i decided to delete my main hdd, now all works great!!

Kilopopo

Kilopopo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Verdant,

I got the sound working last night with VoodooHDA 2.7.3

Thanks for your help again

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,570 posts
    >
    >
    >
@ Kilopopo

Glad to help......:)

Good to hear that VoodooHDA 2.7.3 is working for you...............are there any inputs/outputs not working and/or any sound volume/quality issues......?

Kilopopo

Kilopopo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
it WAS fine except that I have to adjust the input gain level on the voodoo helper app.

NOW after installing clitools for development the one that on apple developers website the voodoohda kext stopped working i tried uninstalling and installing it again and no luck. I am going to take a break from mountain lion installation.

maybe next week ill work on it again.

Thanks for your guide

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,944 posts
Verdant, even not being an Intel mobo user (as you can see in my sig), i want to thank you very much for what i see as a complete crash course of OSX install! Very detailed, very didactic, with a lot of troubleshooting procedures. This should be at the Genius Bar section, pinned forever.

The explanation of dsdt fixes is what interested me the most. Since some time, i'm trying to get myself taught on the subject, by people seems to be reticent in sharing knowledge about it, so it was almost a try-and-error science for me. You, however, wrote a clear step by step lesson that made me understand a lot of things.

Let me asking one question: can i apply some of those patches to get native power management in my netbook (and, hopefully, my desktop, yet knowing that AMD is a different beast altogether)? I tried to generate C and P states using Chameleon to no avail, and AFAIK it's NullCPUPowerManagement kext that's barring me to succeed (and it block sleep enablers from effectively doing anything also). VoodooPowerManagement doesn't help, so dsdt is my last hope, i'm afraid. Would it worth a try?

Again, thanks a lot!

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,570 posts
    >
    >
    >
@ theconnactic

I am pleased that you find the guide helpful and thank you for your appreciative comments.......... :)

As for your comment about my guide:

This should be at the Genius Bar section, pinned forever.

that decision would be up to the InsanelyMac Admins/Moderators........

Regarding your question about DSDT patching for AMD CPU MOBO, since this topic is for nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs, I have PM'd you............ ;)

Update: I have sent you a 2nd PM to elaborate on the first PM.

Edited by verdant, 10 September 2012 - 01:56 PM.

Kilopopo

Kilopopo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Verdant got my sound working again with the official voodoohda 2.7.3 installer

i installed cli tools and installed voodoohda 2.7.3 installer and it worked perfectly.

I have not tested the audio input though i dont have a compatible mic on me.

BTW I installed 10.8.2 from app store and it worked flawlessly

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,570 posts
    >
    >
    >
@ Kilopopo

Good news about audio and 10.8.2 updating via App Store. As usual I downloaded the standalone 10.8.2 Combo updater and ran it........all went OK with no problems........:) I still need to update 10.7.4 systems to 10.7.5.....

Stormed

Stormed

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Did you do any modifications to kexts at all? both mine are working with just graphics enabler on.

P.S. I've since replaced my nForce board but they were working before I did.

Yes, I have tried with enabling the graphics enabler but no luck. Did you replace any graphic kext?
Thanks!!!!

brandoc0mmand0

brandoc0mmand0

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
@Verdant

Yes, I have used the kext wizard to install it using that method.

I will save a copy of ApplePolicyControl.kext then remove it and try booting from HDD again.

If i recall, it compiles without error. But I will completely erase it and try again this evening.

Again, my gratitude for your extensive help. You are awesome!

fantomas1

fantomas1

InsanelyMacaholic

• Supervisors
  • 2,920 posts

@ theconnactic

I am pleased that you find the guide helpful and thank you for your appreciative comments.......... :)

As for your comment about my guide:

that decision would be up to the InsanelyMac Admins/Moderators........

Regarding your question about DSDT patching for AMD CPU MOBO, since this topic is for nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs, I have PM'd you............ ;)

Update: I have sent you a 2nd PM to elaborate on the first PM.

hi

your install guide is very interesting indeed and I think he deserves to be pinned. :)

by cons, I'm not sure it is a good idea to put it in The Genius Bar for fear it is completely forgotten, so I prefer to leave it here so it will be visible by everyone. ;)

Cordially, staff

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nForce chipset + Intel CPU, nForce 650i and 650i Ultra, nForce 750i and 780i, nForce 790i and 790i Ultra, Possibly nForce 630i, nForce 680i

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy