AppleYukon2 troubles on a Dell Inspiron 1545

15 posts in this topic

I'm trying to install Mountain Lion on my Dell Inspiron 1545. There is a 160GB hard drive in it that I don't mind wiping out.

Prodedure I used:

Opened InstallESD.dmg

Opened BaseSystem.dmg

Used the Disk Utility in OS X to copy the Base System image to a 32GB jump drive

Ran the newest version of Chameleon I could find (r2039), and used the "Built-in Ethernet=Yes" flag (along with a few others in various configurations)

Nicely ejected the jump drive and popped it in my laptop

Upon boot into Chameleon, I chose the "Boot Verbose" option

What went wrong:

About 10 seconds into the boot sequence, I see the following message:

AppleYukon2 - RomlessInit - getProperty failed

after which is a stack trace. I can put up a picture of the stack trace if it would help. (Or if there is a way of putting up the complete boot log, I'd be willing to do that if somebody would tell me how.)

Has anybody see this kind of error before? How might I go about figuring out what's wrong and how to fix it?

Thank you for your time.

Hi!

I'm on 10.7.4, I believe that message is not the issue. I always see that message since booting SL being able to get the desktop however.

Maybe a screenshot of the KP will help to understand what's wrong.

Please keep the community informed about your experience with 10.8 on 1545 inspiron!

And post your laptop's specs in your signature to be able to help if possible!

Thank you and good luck with your installation!

Prodedure I used:

Opened InstallESD.dmg

Opened BaseSystem.dmg

Used the Disk Utility in OS X to copy the Base System image to a 32GB jump drive

Ran the newest version of Chameleon I could find (r2039), and used the "Built-in Ethernet=Yes" flag (along with a few others in various configurations)

Nicely ejected the jump drive and popped it in my laptop

Upon boot into Chameleon, I chose the "Boot Verbose" option

You might have just skimmed over this, but did you install the kernel from InstallESD.dmg? Install FakeSMC.kext? Replace the packages alias with the Packages folder from InstallESD.dmg?

• Like 1

You might have just skimmed over this, but did you install the kernel from InstallESD.dmg? Install FakeSMC.kext? Replace the packages alias with the Packages folder from InstallESD.dmg?

+1, seems like I forget to copy the kernel over half the time, realize my folly pretty quick though! :)

also be sure you booting with -f since there's no kernel cache

I downloaded iATKOS L2 (yeah, I know it's not Mountain Lion) and am giving that a shot, but the Disk Utility isn't able to properly write to my jump drive for whatever reason. I'll try again later. But for now, I'm writing BaseSystem to my jump drive again.

I followed this tutorial: http://www.ihackinto...-pc-hackintosh/, almost to the letter (it's kind of ambiguous in places). This is my first Hackintosh install (I'm a Linux guy), so I just took my best guess as to what kind of options Chameleon needed. I'll document them shortly.

Thank you for your suggestion Here To Help. I'll give that a shot.

eep357: I tried a number of boot flags, all ending up with the same result: an error and a stack trace.

c0ke: I'll try and put up the picture of the KP soon. Probably when I tell what options I used.

If anybody sees any better ways to do things, please let me know. I'm open to suggestions.

Here are the options I used to install Chameleon to my jump drive using Enoch-rev.2039.pkg.

1) I set the Destination to the correct drive.

2) Customization:

Chameleon Bootloader

Standard

Modules

Resolution

Settings

General Options

EthernetBuiltIn=Yes

Kernel Flags

Verbose Mode

Ignore Caches

Sorry for the poor image quality. I can't exactly say I was in a well-lit room.

post-1056790-0-37101700-1344459627_thumb.jpg

Remove the kext. I have seen a handful of users reporting that this kext is a issue. Go to your installer drive and go to S/L/E and remove the kext. Make sure you back it up some were.

The answer is what Here To Help said - remove the AppleYukon2.kext from your installer.

On your installer, go to /System/Library/Extensions and find IONetworkingFamily.kext

Right click and select Show Package Contents

Go to Contents/Plugins and find AppleYukon2.kext.

Drag it somewhere outside the Extensions folder. You might have to give a password.

Well, cool. Thanks. I got in to the installer now.

If it's ok with everybody, I'll just keep asking questions.

I can't use my keyboard nor touchpad on my laptop in the installer. I have to use a cheapo Dell keyboard and Microsoft mouse, both of which work in the installer. I don't even know what to look for to make that work.

Wifi doesn't work. Which is fine for now, but I'd like to get it fixed at some point.

Finally, my hard drive isn't showing up in the "Install OS X" screen when it's in the computer. I plugged it into an external SATA adapter and that works well enough, albeit slowly. But at this point, I have a laptop turned desktop with a small part of OS X on it. Yay.

I can't use my keyboard nor touchpad on my laptop in the installer. I have to use a cheapo Dell keyboard and Microsoft mouse, both of which work in the installer. I don't even know what to look for to make that work.

You would need to add some PS/2 drivers. But for the 20 minutes or so it takes to install ML, you can put up with the cheapo keyboard and mouse.

Wifi doesn't work. Which is fine for now, but I'd like to get it fixed at some point.

You don't need it fixed in the installer.

Finally, my hard drive isn't showing up in the "Install OS X" screen when it's in the computer. I plugged it into an external SATA adapter and that works well enough, albeit slowly.

The drive has to be formatted for OSX. Go to the Utilities menu and select Disk Utility. In the left pane, select the partition you want to install OSX on. In the right pane, click on the Erase tab. Give it a name and be sure it is set to Mac OS X Extended (Journaled). Once you have erased (formatted) the drive, quit Disk Utility and then it should show up in the "Install OS X" window.

The problem is that the drive doesn't show up in the Disk Utility. The only one that does show up is the USB drive. I did format it to be an HFS+ drive when it was plugged in to the USB adapter.

Also, partway through that last install, the screen went white (except for a patch around the cursor) and stayed that way for more than an hour. After a hard reboot, I tried to boot to the hard drive, which didn't work.

Finally, the resolution is also incorrect, but I can live with that for now, assuming I can fix it later.

• 2 months later...

The problem is that the drive doesn't show up in the Disk Utility. The only one that does show up is the USB drive. I did format it to be an HFS+ drive when it was plugged in to the USB adapter.

Also, partway through that last install, the screen went white (except for a patch around the cursor) and stayed that way for more than an hour. After a hard reboot, I tried to boot to the hard drive, which didn't work.

Finally, the resolution is also incorrect, but I can live with that for now, assuming I can fix it later.

Did you end up getting this to work? I have an Inspiron as well.

• 1 month later...

Have you solved? Same with me too!

How?

Suggestion please!