Thoughts about Mountain Lion with Atom (yes, Atom)

120 posts in this topic

Thanks a lot for your post!

Since I've already upgraded to the current 10.8.1 official release I decided to give the 10.8.1 kernel posted here (meklort's) a try instead of the 10.8 I was using before and....BINGO!!! Finally iCloud is working!!! :) :)

Only "problem" I've noticed is that CPU activity seems to have increased a bit (iCloud services on the background?) and battery life took quite a hit - from regular 2h30 of normal use (the battery is far from new...) to less than 2h on a full-charge! It seems that it's true that ML with iCloud enabled at least impacts negatively on battery life which is unfortunate.

I send attached my current 10.8.1 iCloud working kernel - credits to meklort & buoo

Thanks to everyone!

This did not resolve iCloud issues on my GA-D525TUD :( I also get occasional window server crashes, which cause a logout...

This did not resolve iCloud issues on my GA-D525TUD :( I also get occasional window server crashes, which cause a logout...

Did you follow the other steps (or, better saying, prerequisites) for getting it to work? Like add set ethernet built-in up, use a valid smbios etc? As i understand it, the kernel method by itself doesn't replace measures that are necessary even in vanilla hackintoshes for iCloud to work properly.

Did you follow the other steps (or, better saying, prerequisites) for getting it to work? Like add set ethernet built-in up, use a valid smbios etc? As i understand it, the kernel method by itself doesn't replace measures that are necessary even in vanilla hackintoshes for iCloud to work properly.

Thanks for the response. I have builtin ethernet set to "yes" in chameleon.boot.plist, and the smbios/system defition/serial is Mac Pro 3,1, set automatically by ###### (which I also used to install the ethernet driver), which works in my other system.

EDIT: and I assume you know what ###### is :P

I know. Maybe this method is causing the whole issue, since it doesn't support any kind of non-vanilla installation. That's why you're asking support here, not there by the way. :)

My suggestion: back up the installation you have now (with super duper or a similar program) then make a clean install of 10.8.1 using the latest meklort kernel, then add the correct smbios and boot settings with chameleon wizard. Don't forget to use the latest iteration of it, as well as the latest rev. of chameleon. Report back when it's done.

P.S.: Before reinstalling, check out if your ethernet built-in card is working properly, with the correct kext loaded etc. Try to connect to the internet using a LAN cable. To have ethernet built-in, enabling it with chameleon is necessary but it's not enough: the hardware must be properly installed, even if you're not intending to use it. Maybe this solve your issues.

• Like 1

Trying to figure something out... Built many a hack, also had many a real Mac, but just realized my old HTPC kit (Zotac Atom 330, with PCIE, ITX-F-E something or other).

So I got 10.8 installed, had to use the modified Kernel in the installer, but how the heck do I get it onto the installed system? Do I have to take the HD out and shove it into my desktop? Am I missing something?

I also had a hell of a time to get into the installer, and forgot the boot arguments I used (stupid right? lol...)

Thoughts?

Again just Zotac ion Atom 330 w/4GB of ram and a 320 GB seagate drive. Read threw the thread and it seems mostly everyone did Mountain Lion on an already working system...

Copy the modified kernel to the root folder on your OS X partition. Just drag and drop it. Make sure the modified kernel is named mach_kernel.

I understand that much... but what about if you don't have another partition with another OS or another drive with another OS? I'm avoiding cracking open another computer here ;)

Humm...or you could just have 2 or more different kernels on the root of the boot partition and decide at the start (bootflag options) to load whatever one you wanna use or just use an util like chameleon wizard to easily configure the custom kernel you want to use?

Are there any problems in having several kernels, named differently obviously? Because that's the way I do it. :worried_anim:

Hello there,

I'm stuck at the installation of Mountain Lion on this machine: http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/living/entertainment-center/403/mc001-e.html?c=2296#techdata (+8 GB memory and 120GB SSD)

I used several modified kernels posted here and several methods to create an USB-Stick - no success at all.

I cannot get to the installation, the Machine just reboots like/after this

The problem of the video's owner was using a wrong kernel, that did not help me.

Could it be the integrated Graphics Card ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5430 of my machine?

Any help would be very nice :unsure:

Thank you.

Testmacher

@theconnactic

One more Atom powered netbook running 10.8.2 successfully. :)

No noticeable changes on battery life from 10.8.1 to 10.8.2 on my 1201n - on a full-charge I get about the same battery working time. Not that I'm complaining about +2,5h on my 4-cell battery powered netbook. Still on Win 7 I get to squeeze an extra hour of working time.

• Like 1

Hi, mtek!

As i said a number of times, in hackintoshing, the sweet always comes coupled with the sour. I got an extra half-an-hour of battery life, but lost the ability of restart my computer. Well, sometimes restarting works, most of times not. I'm running out of ideas to solve it, so maybe i gotta live with it. When i put it to restart, my screen turns gray, but only the cursor stays there, and i continue to have the ability to control it, despite the fact the system should be restarting. In the rare times the system does restart, the cursor vanishes. If i lose my patience and start to click, the login screen appears (i have automatic login, so it's the only occasion i see that screen) What i'd already done:

Tried to patch my dsdt, including the Asus shutdown fix that comes with DSDT Editor: it doesn't worked, even the dsdt being correctly loaded, so i wiped the dsdt.aml out of my Extra folder;

Tried to uncheck and re-check Chameleon's restart fix: no joy. It's checked now, by the way;

Reinstalled EvOreboot: tried with and without EvOreboot, with no perceptible differences. Let it installed, since it does no harm;

Tried with 10.7, 10.8.0, 10.8.1 and 10.8.2 patched RTCs: i know this is used mainly to solve CMOS resets, but i remember having read somewhere that it has something to do with restarting the computer. No result. Since it doesn't do no harm, i let 10.8.2 patched RTC in my S/L/E.

What i'm yet to do before giving up: try to update Chameleon.

Any suggestions, advices, or reminders of something i have forgotten?

EDIT: i was wrong, restart works, but the machine takes sometimes 20 min+ to restart! :o

Well my 1201n still restarts OK but I do notice both a slow down in shutting down & restarting, and although it doesn't take that long it's nevertheless a strange symptom that also happened to my Qosmio after the 10.8.2 update.

Sorry mate, no idea of what's wrong with your hack, but it's probably ever0boot related like you suspect. I've searched for an updated version to no avail...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. Long time lurker. I appreciate all the posts and guides that members have contributed.

I just acquired a Asus 1201N and looking to install 10.8 ML on it (dual boot Win7). Unfortunately, all the guides I see for the 1201N are for 10.6 and 10.7.

Does anyone have a link to a ML guide for the 1201N? Alternatively, I would appreciate it if someone can post a very short (yet specific) instruction set on how to get everything working. My 1201N has a Dell 1501 WiFi card.

Any assistance much appreciated.

Hi guys. Long time lurker. I appreciate all the posts and guides that members have contributed.

I just acquired a Asus 1201N and looking to install 10.8 ML on it (dual boot Win7). Unfortunately, all the guides I see for the 1201N are for 10.6 and 10.7.

Does anyone have a link to a ML guide for the 1201N? Alternatively, I would appreciate it if someone can post a very short (yet specific) instruction set on how to get everything working. My 1201N has a Dell 1501 WiFi card.

Any assistance much appreciated.

You should probably take a look at the specific 1201n install topic - lots of ML stuff in there, from me & others.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/264740-asus-1201n-installation-and-support/

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys!

I'm trying to get 10.8.2 up and running on my old Ion board, and can't seem to get the video card and software to shake hands and be friends. The gfx chip is the 9400m, the CPU is atom330. My setup for 10.6.8 worked really well, and I think this one will as well, once the gfx issues get sorted out.

The problem: system will load up to IOBluetoothHCIController [start] [completed]. From there it hangs. From a boot standpoint, this is when the graphic heavy lifting kicks in/frame buffer is initialized.

Attempted fixes: boot with -x, boot w graphicsenabler=yes/no, NVEnabler in E/E, unloading and loading back NVDA kexts one at a time to see if any are rotten. I think the solution requires patching the 9400m-specific NVDA kexts for 64bit, but I'm too noob for that.

Any suggestions or insights would be immensely helpful!!