Thoughts about Mountain Lion with Atom (yes, Atom)

Mountain Lion Atom Vanilla Kernel Patched kernel netbook

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

VirtualGuitarist

VirtualGuitarist

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Ad far as i understood, you have to click on "All my files" in a finder window to retrieve files you have saved on the cloud.

You can also use EasyFind, far more efficient than Spotlight.

I use also the command "locate" in Terminal.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,973 posts
Thank you for answer, but i'm afraid i was talking about a different thing: i wanna know where the system store the iCloud settings themselves, so i can retrieve, not the files stored in the cloud, but the settings of iCloud themselves if anything goes wrong.

VirtualGuitarist

VirtualGuitarist

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Sorry for the misunderstood, i'm afraid i still have some deficiencies in english... (i'm french)

Do you have searched in /etc/ ?

When i want to edit / retrieve some deep or hidden global settings, it's the first place where i would search...

UPDATE: Have yiou red this ?

In fact, on my (non-working) ML partition, i do have a folder ~/Library/Application Support/Ubiquity, i hope it answers your question...

mtek

mtek

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I've updated my Atom 1201n to 10.8.1 through software update without any issues or kexts rollback. Small, quick update from Apple. :)
Done the same to my other hacks without any issues.

buoo

buoo

The Prodigal Son

• Moderators
  • 4,536 posts
Hi guys :)

I've made a little script to patch the Mountain Lion kernel.
It patches the mach_kernel in the root and makes a backup of the kernel on the Desktop.

Usage:

1) type chmod +x AtomPatcher.sh
2) open it with the Terminal
3) type the password

You are adviced to rebuild the kernel cache before reboot.

Attached File  AtomPatcher v1.0.zip   1.2KB   76 downloads

All credits go to meklort, I'm just a kid that likes to help. :)

Tested with 10.8.0 and 10.8.1 (beta 12B17)

mtek

mtek

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Thanks buoo! :)

BTW is it really necessary to update the kernel from 10.8 to 10.8.1 (official release)? I'm asking this because my atom 1201n seems to run just fine on meklort's patched 10.8 kernel.

buoo

buoo

The Prodigal Son

• Moderators
  • 4,536 posts
happy to hear this, but are you thinking to use this kernel until the last mountain lion update 10.8.8? The patcher should work with the future kernel versions

mtek

mtek

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

happy to hear this, but are you thinking to use this kernel until the last mountain lion update 10.8.8? The patcher should work with the future kernel versions

I always like to be up to date, but not really experimenting too much kernel wise (had a few bad experiences before). But I'll give your patcher a try after backing up my install. Thanks again. :)

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,973 posts
mtek, way to go, boy! You answered my question even before i asked, that is, if you updated the kernel or just used the same from 10.8... iCloud still works with this update without changing the kernel?

By the way, is this an official release of 10.8.1? Or is it a dev. seed instead? I went to the App Store and found nothing.

buoo, congrats! Meklort indeed developed the patch, but you're the one who guarantees everyone has access to it! Keep up the good work!

mtek

mtek

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

mtek, way to go, boy! You answered my question even before i asked, that is, if you updated the kernel or just used the same from 10.8... iCloud still works with this update without changing the kernel?

By the way, is this an official release of 10.8.1? Or is it a dev. seed instead? I went to the App Store and found nothing.

buoo, congrats! Meklort indeed developed the patch, but you're the one who guarantees everyone has access to it! Keep up the good work!

10.8.1 is out for a few hours already - official public release. I've updated successfully all my hacks through software update.

About iCloud...errr...I'm affraid it never worked for my 1201n and I've tried pretty much everything since first installing 10.7 on it. Just good ol'server conection error.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,973 posts

UPDATE: Have yiou red this ?

In fact, on my (non-working) ML partition, i do have a folder ~/Library/Application Support/Ubiquity, i hope it answers your question...

Many thanks! I'll check it out and report back here! :)

10.8.1 is out for a few hours already - official public release. I've updated successfully all my hacks through software update.

About iCloud...errr...I'm affraid it never worked for my 1201n and I've tried pretty much everything since first installing 10.7 on it. Just good ol'server conection error.

mtek, i was at the same situation as you, remember? You even gave me welcome to the cloudless club. Just like you, i simply tried everything suggested since Lion to no avail.

It was this situation until some days ago, when, in an unrelated thread in another forum, meklort posted his latest kernel, a binary patch to the vanilla kernel, which buoo even posted here, but i didn't notice. I was using the one available in osx86.net, one that was a patch to the source of the vanilla kernel. As meklort explained, Apple doesn't give out all the osx features with the XNU source code, so the binaries are more accurate if one want to get the closest user experience possible in an unsupported piece of hardware.

Which kernel are you using, mtek?

P.S.: Here, there's no os update available at the App Store...

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,973 posts
P.P.S.: Im talking about this one: https://dl.dropbox.c....ocache.patched

If it's not the one you're using, please try it. It was my holy grail, and i was so frustrated about the subject that i was almost downgrading to Lion. Mountain Lion without iCloud was all trouble and no fun for me; now i'm really enjoying it.

mtek

mtek

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

P.P.S.: Im talking about this one: https://dl.dropbox.c....ocache.patched

If it's not the one you're using, please try it. It was my holy grail, and i was so frustrated about the subject that i was almost downgrading to Lion. Mountain Lion without iCloud was all trouble and no fun for me; now i'm really enjoying it.

Thanks a lot for your post!
Since I've already upgraded to the current 10.8.1 official release I decided to give the 10.8.1 kernel posted here (meklort's) a try instead of the 10.8 I was using before and....BINGO!!! Finally iCloud is working!!! :) :)

Only "problem" I've noticed is that CPU activity seems to have increased a bit (iCloud services on the background?) and battery life took quite a hit - from regular 2h30 of normal use (the battery is far from new...) to less than 2h on a full-charge! It seems that it's true that ML with iCloud enabled at least impacts negatively on battery life which is unfortunate.

I send attached my current 10.8.1 iCloud working kernel - credits to meklort & buoo

Thanks to everyone!

Attached Files

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,973 posts
You're welcome!

Can i ask you a favor? Spread this tip! Specially in the 1201n sub forum, where people seems clueless and resorting to complicated methods to no avail, like both of us once did.

Thanks!

P.S.: mtek, you made an interesting point. In fact, your statement could be significant to all "real mac" Mountain Lion users, and even Apple itself.

Follow my reasoning: since 10.8, there's lots of reports of decreased battery life. 10.8.1 does not address that, meaning people in Cupertino are clueless yet. Why? Because probably they simply skip the obvious (yes, is quite obvious, now that you said that). The cloud services are running in background, huh? All the time. All the time consuming and consuming power. Why, again, would everything ignore the obvious? Because none of them runs mackintoshes with flawed patched kernels, they all run "real macs" where iCloud work seamlessly. If it works, and it works, everybody use it, and there's no parameter to compare. So, i'm afraid, this little cloud is building itself from the vaporization of every mac's battery life, lol.

Okay, the lines above were pure guessing. It won't surprise me, though, if they are right on the money.

edmondwck

edmondwck

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Hi guys :)

I've made a little script to patch the Mountain Lion kernel.
It patches the mach_kernel in the root and makes a backup of the kernel on the Desktop.

Usage:

1) type chmod +x AtomPatcher.sh
2) open it with the Terminal
3) type the password

You are adviced to rebuild the kernel cache before reboot.

Attached File  AtomPatcher v1.0.zip   1.2KB   76 downloads

All credits go to meklort, I'm just a kid that likes to help. :)

Tested with 10.8.0 and 10.8.1 (beta 12B17)

Hi buoo,

Could you make a similar script for patching Lion (10.7) kernel?

fantomas1

fantomas1

InsanelyMacaholic

• Supervisors
  • 2,992 posts
the problem isn't to do the same script, but to find the good addresses to patching.

the script is here to do the thing automatically what you can do manually, once you found the good addresses, that's all ! :)

jamdox

jamdox

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Thanks a lot for your post!
Since I've already upgraded to the current 10.8.1 official release I decided to give the 10.8.1 kernel posted here (meklort's) a try instead of the 10.8 I was using before and....BINGO!!! Finally iCloud is working!!! :) :)

Only "problem" I've noticed is that CPU activity seems to have increased a bit (iCloud services on the background?) and battery life took quite a hit - from regular 2h30 of normal use (the battery is far from new...) to less than 2h on a full-charge! It seems that it's true that ML with iCloud enabled at least impacts negatively on battery life which is unfortunate.

I send attached my current 10.8.1 iCloud working kernel - credits to meklort & buoo

Thanks to everyone!

This did not resolve iCloud issues on my GA-D525TUD :( I also get occasional window server crashes, which cause a logout...

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,973 posts

This did not resolve iCloud issues on my GA-D525TUD :( I also get occasional window server crashes, which cause a logout...

Did you follow the other steps (or, better saying, prerequisites) for getting it to work? Like add set ethernet built-in up, use a valid smbios etc? As i understand it, the kernel method by itself doesn't replace measures that are necessary even in vanilla hackintoshes for iCloud to work properly.

jamdox

jamdox

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Did you follow the other steps (or, better saying, prerequisites) for getting it to work? Like add set ethernet built-in up, use a valid smbios etc? As i understand it, the kernel method by itself doesn't replace measures that are necessary even in vanilla hackintoshes for iCloud to work properly.

Thanks for the response. I have builtin ethernet set to "yes" in chameleon.boot.plist, and the smbios/system defition/serial is Mac Pro 3,1, set automatically by ###### (which I also used to install the ethernet driver), which works in my other system.

EDIT: and I assume you know what ###### is :P

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,973 posts
I know. Maybe this method is causing the whole issue, since it doesn't support any kind of non-vanilla installation. That's why you're asking support here, not there by the way. :)

My suggestion: back up the installation you have now (with super duper or a similar program) then make a clean install of 10.8.1 using the latest meklort kernel, then add the correct smbios and boot settings with chameleon wizard. Don't forget to use the latest iteration of it, as well as the latest rev. of chameleon. Report back when it's done.

P.S.: Before reinstalling, check out if your ethernet built-in card is working properly, with the correct kext loaded etc. Try to connect to the internet using a LAN cable. To have ethernet built-in, enabling it with chameleon is necessary but it's not enough: the hardware must be properly installed, even if you're not intending to use it. Maybe this solve your issues.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mountain Lion, Atom, Vanilla Kernel, Patched kernel, netbook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy