• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

coelomate1

coelomate1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

The more this feud goes on the more absurd it becomes. In my opinion this situation is due to the fact that The OSx86 world is still suffering from its original 'underground nature' and it's now struggling to embrace a 'standard' open-source model, which is made of crystal-clear licenses, rights and duties.

my 2 cents,
cili0.

I don't think it is a feud. They both have their uses, but this site is clearly not trying to make a buck whereas the other site actively encourages you to participate in their profit by clicking links to newegg and amazon or directly through paypal. It is different philosophy about hackintosh. I don't think either site is going anywhere soon, but if I had to put money on ultimate longevity I would not put it on the guys that choose to use an apple as their icon for hackintosh.

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts
i see there is 2 ways to make money for server cost.
1: teach people how to do it by learning from mistakes and they repay with contributions. (more than a few pennies)
2: click ads for the site to make a few pennies.

which is more satisfying for both site and end users?

Rampage Dev

Rampage Dev

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 2,016 posts

i see there is 2 ways to make money for server cost.
1: teach people how to do it by learning from mistakes and they repay with contributions. (more than a few pennies)
2: click ads for the site to make a few pennies.

which is more satisfying for both site and end users?

Agreed

coelomate1

coelomate1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
They sell customized DSDT's.
Now they are selling reviews.

You can call it donate, but they won't make you a dsdt unless you pay them. That is a line that I think shouldn't be crossed. If you are hacking for fun to see if you can do it, that is different than paying someone to make you a mac clone so you don't have to pay Apple.

There is a difference. Sometimes, the reason that you do something matters and I think that this is a case in point.

Also, the site is censoring users who are critical of any of their sponsors. There was a synology thread that had a lot of criticism and all the negative posts were taken down with no explanation, thread locked.

The site is pushing brands but wants people to think that they are just giving help as to "what works best".
That is simply not true.

See the synology post or their latest ad for BitFenix.
I don't think there is anything wrong with a donate button, but it is pretty obvious that they have started to court third party advertisers and are calling them "reviews".
Then below the review for whatever it is they put links to buy, really turns me off. But if that is your thing, if you want people pushing gear to you... whatever.

From Tonymac...

OK everyone- we're trying something new out on ya. If you haven't heard, BitFenix's Prodigy mini-ITX case has been released, and is now available. The company has offered up two cases for us to give away here on the site! Comment here, and you'll automatically be entered for a chance to win one of two cases in your choice of color. Entering is free - one entry per user - and open to all tonymacx86.com registered users globally (sadly moderators are not allowed to enter). The contest runs for 14 days from today, September 5th to September 19th, and two winners will be notified via email on Friday, September 21st.

beta992

beta992

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
Sad to hear that your work was stolen. From what I read here this is just the same company that sold Apple-clones a few years ago.

They completely rip-off existing tools and kexts, rename them to something else and don't even give the credit. Or they add patches to their "Multi-installer", but who actually created that "dam" thing is never listed. (Or is false)

Sadly their are to much users not aware of this, and even buy parts on their website.

I didn't know most stuff where ripped from other developers till I started searching for newer versions of some kexts and tools, and found topics/blog post on this and other OSX86 websites.

I really hope Apple doesn't see all OSX86 websites as a threat in the near future because some website is making (huge?) profit with custom build Hackintosh systems. :(

On thing they did very good @tony: You can get a law-suite if you sell complete all-in-one Hackintosh systems. Why not let users build it themselves? We can sell parts, information, etc. and earn more because not everyone ones to have a complete system.

PoisonApple666

PoisonApple666

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 125 posts
Tony is getting just like William Von whoozitz over on U Know WhereFix. Sad to see.

gils83

gils83

DJ Officiel d'InsanelyMac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts
  • Interests:le soleil du var et l'informatique
:worried_anim:

Do like me, anything that relates closely or from afar on HMM is automatically censored because this type plagiarize from any developers InsanelyMac your site has nothing to bring to the Ummah, I think that soon Apple will take care of him vigorously as monetize your work is a disgrace!

it is clear that it is not thanks to him if my MHAC AMD FX 6100 works perfectly.

it is best to forget this {censored}! :thumbsdown_anim:

pokenguyen

pokenguyen

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
There are still lot of good guides by users in tony forum. It's very active without appearance of macman or tonymac. I used his tool because I was very new here (without any knowledge about hackintosh), and I can't find any guide here for my machine. It worked so so, then I wonder arounf his forum and find many things new (from users, of course), they helped me very much and now I can remove stuff from his tool for a vanilla system, and learn a lot of things too. I didn't notice any pay while using his tool. And the selling parts threads there are from users, not from him. He doesn't have anything to sell :P.

I admit he doesn't mention original credit, but at least he created (or copy then modify) a good tool for newcomer, and create a active forum to share.

Anyway, I don't think he created all the DSDTs (maybe he collect from user threads), and he doesn't make the DSDT simply because he is unable to do that.

Rampage Dev

Rampage Dev

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 2,016 posts

There are still lot of good guides by users in tony forum. It's very active without appearance of macman or tonymac. I used his tool because I was very new here (without any knowledge about hackintosh), and I can't find any guide here for my machine. It worked so so, then I wonder arounf his forum and find many things new (from users, of course), they helped me very much and now I can remove stuff from his tool for a vanilla system, and learn a lot of things too. I didn't notice any pay while using his tool. And the selling parts threads there are from users, not from him. He doesn't have anything to sell :P.

I admit he doesn't mention original credit, but at least he created (or copy then modify) a good tool for newcomer, and create a active forum to share.

Anyway, I don't think he created all the DSDTs (maybe he collect from user threads), and he doesn't make the DSDT simply because he is unable to do that.

Err... they sell a all in one installer for systems they support. They do sell products and they make a lot of money via advertising via user build hardware links.

They did not create the tool. They stole it from Conti the creator of myHack so you are miss informed again...

They no longer support using a DSDT and always say you should never use a DSDT (taking about the admins) and a DSDT free system is the way to go. So explain to me how you get the proper kexts to load without a DSDT and how do you inject your GPU into it and not rely on the Boot loader or another kext?

pokenguyen

pokenguyen

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Err... they sell a all in one installer for systems they support. They do sell products and they make a lot of money via advertising via user build hardware links.

They did not create the tool. They stole it from Conti the creator of myHack so you are miss informed again...

They no longer support using a DSDT and always say you should never use a DSDT (taking about the admins) and a DSDT free system is the way to go. So explain to me how you get the proper kexts to load without a DSDT and how do you inject your GPU into it and not rely on the Boot loader or another kext?

I knew about myHack stuff, and I believe that tonymac borrowed it source code without any credit, and he gets donate for a thing not belong to his, but at least he can make it popular to anyone (I only heard about myHack after some months installing OS X). He doesn't sell it, anyone (only in his forum) can download it without paying any cost, you should at least download it before telling that, and people can buy parts from computer store as they want. The users there still use DSDT for most system, but some newcomers (like me before) don't have enough knowledge so they have to install some kexts like NullCPU, Voodoo, ... + his Chimera (based on Chameleon of course) to make it actually load, and some new UEFI system can work out of box!!. However, to make a system fully working, it's better to remove those kexts and use DSDT + patched vanilla kexts. I don't see him saying "you should never use a DSDT" or things like that there, he recommend new comers to do so because he's too lazy to create a patched DSDT for only one member, but other members can still help them (like in this forum).

What I want to point is that, although he is a stealer, you shouldn't misunderstand things or care too much about him.

ErmaC

ErmaC

• Supervisors
  • 4,695 posts
New target? new candidate?
http://www.tonymacx8...html#post505419

beta992

beta992

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

MacMan: "I was going to look into it and see what was missing and what improvements I could share from my experience with Chimera, but based on the closed nature of it, I won't."

Rampage Dev

Rampage Dev

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 2,016 posts

Yep, looks like they can't steal that for now...

MacMan: "I was going to look into it and see what was missing and what improvements I could share from my experience with Chimera, but based on the closed nature of it, I won't."

Renaming a file and adding one or two device ID's does not give you "Experience."

bcc9

bcc9

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,278 posts

If they are genuinely interested in sharing their work their changes could be cleaned up and contributed back from the chimera branch of chameleon into the mainline. Has there been any effort of that sort? Seems like there's just a lot of changes suffering bit-rot in various chameleon branches.

Mr.D.

Mr.D.

There are those who call me...

• Local Moderators
  • 546 posts
  • Interests:Music editing/Remixing, hiking, orienteering, 4 wheeling, reading (yes like books and such), and...
Poor guy... he just wants to help... add money to his pocket by using other peoples work, changing a few insignificant things and calling it his own and selling packages of it. UGH... I don't know why I even click on these links 'cause tonymac just irritates me to no end. The problem is he isn't genuinely interested in sharing. People who try to share ideas there get the boot. People who try to ask questions about things are aren't in his cookie-cutter world get the boot. He isn't about learning, he's about taking and selling. ironic that he hits a brick wall with a 'non-open source' project.

Rampage Dev

Rampage Dev

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 2,016 posts

ironic that he hits a brick wall with a 'non-open source' project.

It just shows you how much work they are willing to put into the project.

westwaerts

westwaerts

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
lets say it that way:

MacMan and his Tonysite are collecting information, but he isnt the crack he pretends to be.
so if MM talks about inside looking and cannot help, thats due to the fact, that he does not see inside.

his site is good for installing on gigabyte boards, if you know, what you are doing.

beta992

beta992

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

his site is good for installing on gigabyte boards, if you know, what you are doing.

DSDT files he provides are not the best out their. They are also based on someone else work. (olarila.com?)
Gigabyte motherboards are indeed the best one for a Hackintosh. My previous MB GA-EP35-DS3R did work perfectly. (Sleep, speedstep, audio, etc.)

Micky1979

Micky1979

I realized that I am lucky

• Moderators
  • 1,817 posts

Fabio, what was in that link?

Micky

dcai777

dcai777

BAZINGA!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Hacking your Hackintosh

And now, iATKOS M is not free... :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy