TonyMacx86 and Mac Man Steal Again

45 posts in this topic

I was on Tonymacx86 for over a year and decided to start helping other with x79 motherboards. After several argument with several admins on why they kept recommending only Gigabyte boards I was suspended for one week. After that time had past I logged in and could no longer edit that thread. At that point I decided to remove my DSDT work from there site and removed all of the files.

I then created a blog and notified on my post on Tonymacx86 that I was moving my DSDT development to my blog. Now when I reposted the document I did accidentally leave there simbios in my extra folder which has since been removed. Now after all of this TonyMac and MacMan are reposting my files after I made it clear I was no longer interested in developing them on there site.

This is the Blog where I moved the development to:

http://rampagedev.wordpress.com/

I received this E-mail the other day from both of them. In this e-mail they are claiming that I stole my own posts.:

You have copyrighted content of LLC on your blog along with redistributing tonymacx86.com files on dropbox.

Specifically the offending content is in the following posts:

http://rampagedev.wo...nd-amdati-gpus/

These posts are word for word copies of forum posts and the Extra.zip file contains tonymacx86 files and must be removed immediately.

If all of this infringing content is not removed within 48 hours we will pursue this takedown notice with Automattic Inc., Dropbox, Inc. and the authorities.

MacMan and tonymacx86

This is showing them trying to get other users to repost my files:

ScreenShot2012-07-02at93433PM.png

• Like 7

I normally don't like it when sites like InsanelyMac hate TonyMac, but this is unacceptable. There is NO rule about only Gigabyte boards...well I welcome you to InsanelyMac. So if you upload a file on TonyMacx86, it's automatically theirs? Wow...

Yep, all they are doing is holding back the community as a hole and the are pushing out people like me who want to help others.

• Like 2

I normally don't like it when sites like InsanelyMac hate TonyMac, but this is unacceptable.

We don't "hate" them. We don't hate anybody. We want to keep moral standards high, safeguard genuine developers, and certainly we don't steal from our users

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=279451

And let me stress once again: http://prasys.info/2...ymac-seriously/

• Like 5

Since when are files uploaded on public forums labeled copyright? The goons running tonymac obviously don't know the legalities of what copyright means.

Here's a quote from their forum rules and registration

As a user you agree to any information you have entered to being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent,

Their own words speak for itself.

• 1 month later...

I just spent a few minutes browsing your blog and bookmarked it.

It looks very helpful. Thanks for your generous donation of time to this community ;)

Back in March I had an X79 ASUS thread on Tonymac until I started to run into issues with admins. I ended up deleting the thread and removing all files that I edited. My edited kexts and ALC898 method ended up in ###### on the next release with no attribution. Granted they were easy for a real programmer probably, but took me 40 hours of reading guides and testing.

• Like 3

I normally don't like it when sites like InsanelyMac hate TonyMac, but this is unacceptable.

InsanelyMac dont't hate TonyMac ! But our position is very clear here : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=279450

There is NO rule about only Gigabyte boards

And there's NO rule about others motherboards too ! If they would talk only about one motherboards manufacturer, there's no problem, it's there own choice ! Here on InsanelyMac we talk about a maximum of motherboard manufacturers, there's no problem too, it's our own choice too !

Pls, don't mix all !!!

Cordially

• Like 1

I just spent a few minutes browsing your blog and bookmarked it.

It looks very helpful. Thanks for your generous donation of time to this community ;)

Back in March I had an X79 ASUS thread on Tonymac until I started to run into issues with admins. I ended up deleting the thread and removing all files that I edited. My edited kexts and ALC898 method ended up in ###### on the next release with no attribution. Granted they were easy for a real programmer probably, but took me 40 hours of reading guides and testing.

Thanks for appreciating my work. I just like to have everything organized so new users can understand how to do things. I try to make my guides as clear and as easy as I can. They are not perfect but thats what the edit button is for. :)

Here To Help, I read in disgust on how Tonymacx86 ripped off your work. I know that InsanelyMac doesn't support him, and I for one had a wierdly different vibe when seeing tutorials using Tonymacx86's "work" vs. any other OSx86 developer's work, and I never knew why... until now!!!

This didn't occur to me before, but what if there is a connection to Tonymacx86 and Psystar. I mean, when you think about it, Psystar sold "Intel Mac Clones" using OSx86's hacks, and when the whole Apple Lawsuit came around, they released Boot-132 knock-off Rebel EFI. The court issued an injuction, and their site was shut down shortly afterwards. Then, Tonymacx86 shows up around the same time (according to dates on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psystar and Tonymacx86's whois records, which is through Domains by Proxy, but registered in 2010). They re-branded Chameleon as Chamera, and is just stealing other people's work. And to think I used his rBoot-LE!!

This is from "their" realtek ethernet kext:

Driver

End User License

Copyright ©2010-2011 by Lnx2Mac@gmail.com

All Rights Reserved

Portions Copyright: ©2011 RealTek Semiconductor Corp. , ©2009 Chuck Fry , ©2008 Psystar Corporation , ©2006 Dmitri Arekhta

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

ha ha, so weird because there is a thread over there with "who's the real tonymac" and that was my exact thought, ex-psystar. It just lines up perfectly and your subconscious brings the idea to you. It is the way that they are F****** with Apple by calling everything "Mac"

Tony Mac

Mac Man

Lnx2 Mac

Cust-o-Mac

I few years ago when the site was relatively small I made a post suggesting that it was probably not a good idea to make such obviously similar names to Apple hardware. Tmac himself deleted the post and PM'd me that he wasn't interested in having that conversation. Lol, I swear it is psystar just rubbing {censored} in Apple's eye saying we can do this anyway and make money off the advertising.

What will really be crazy is if any legitimate brand (Synology, etc) is actually paying that site for "reviews"

I was a daily visitor to tonymacx86 for years, but the site has really changed its vibe. It really does feel commercial now and the mods are deleting so many posts it is ridiculous. I only know because I've been PM people and finding out that their posts are getting ghosted too. Ahh, good riddance. Hopefully Apple fells a hammer on them or other devs take a strong stand and push back against their [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] borg.

• Like 7

The more this feud goes on the more absurd it becomes. In my opinion this situation is due to the fact that The OSx86 world is still suffering from its original 'underground nature' and it's now struggling to embrace a 'standard' open-source model, which is made of crystal-clear licenses, rights and duties.

my 2 cents,

cili0.

Wow, this behavior is totally and utterly disrespectful - as if they were the Internet monarchy or something! It's like they're trying to totally monopolizing OSx86 so that they can just make money!

This just makes me sad, really - the community should be mutually friendly and respectful toward one another, and instead various others incite spiteful relations. :(

• Like 3

The more this feud goes on the more absurd it becomes. In my opinion this situation is due to the fact that The OSx86 world is still suffering from its original 'underground nature' and it's now struggling to embrace a 'standard' open-source model, which is made of crystal-clear licenses, rights and duties.

my 2 cents,

cili0.

I don't think it is a feud. They both have their uses, but this site is clearly not trying to make a buck whereas the other site actively encourages you to participate in their profit by clicking links to newegg and amazon or directly through paypal. It is different philosophy about hackintosh. I don't think either site is going anywhere soon, but if I had to put money on ultimate longevity I would not put it on the guys that choose to use an apple as their icon for hackintosh.

• Like 1

i see there is 2 ways to make money for server cost.

1: teach people how to do it by learning from mistakes and they repay with contributions. (more than a few pennies)

2: click ads for the site to make a few pennies.

which is more satisfying for both site and end users?

• Like 5

i see there is 2 ways to make money for server cost.

1: teach people how to do it by learning from mistakes and they repay with contributions. (more than a few pennies)

2: click ads for the site to make a few pennies.

which is more satisfying for both site and end users?

Agreed

They sell customized DSDT's.

Now they are selling reviews.

You can call it donate, but they won't make you a dsdt unless you pay them. That is a line that I think shouldn't be crossed. If you are hacking for fun to see if you can do it, that is different than paying someone to make you a mac clone so you don't have to pay Apple.

There is a difference. Sometimes, the reason that you do something matters and I think that this is a case in point.

Also, the site is censoring users who are critical of any of their sponsors. There was a synology thread that had a lot of criticism and all the negative posts were taken down with no explanation, thread locked.

The site is pushing brands but wants people to think that they are just giving help as to "what works best".

That is simply not true.

See the synology post or their latest ad for BitFenix.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a donate button, but it is pretty obvious that they have started to court third party advertisers and are calling them "reviews".

Then below the review for whatever it is they put links to buy, really turns me off. But if that is your thing, if you want people pushing gear to you... whatever.

From Tonymac...

OK everyone- we're trying something new out on ya. If you haven't heard, BitFenix's Prodigy mini-ITX case has been released, and is now available. The company has offered up two cases for us to give away here on the site! Comment here, and you'll automatically be entered for a chance to win one of two cases in your choice of color. Entering is free - one entry per user - and open to all tonymacx86.com registered users globally (sadly moderators are not allowed to enter). The contest runs for 14 days from today, September 5th to September 19th, and two winners will be notified via email on Friday, September 21st.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Sad to hear that your work was stolen. From what I read here this is just the same company that sold Apple-clones a few years ago.

They completely rip-off existing tools and kexts, rename them to something else and don't even give the credit. Or they add patches to their "Multi-installer", but who actually created that "dam" thing is never listed. (Or is false)

Sadly their are to much users not aware of this, and even buy parts on their website.

I didn't know most stuff where ripped from other developers till I started searching for newer versions of some kexts and tools, and found topics/blog post on this and other OSX86 websites.

I really hope Apple doesn't see all OSX86 websites as a threat in the near future because some website is making (huge?) profit with custom build Hackintosh systems. :(

On thing they did very good @tony: You can get a law-suite if you sell complete all-in-one Hackintosh systems. Why not let users build it themselves? We can sell parts, information, etc. and earn more because not everyone ones to have a complete system.

• Like 1