AMD dual graphics 6950 supported

nmano

95 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have my 6950 working on all 3 monitors (with built in radeon hd 3000 to boot and swap over vga cables). However, i can only boot in safe mode and booting in normal mode gives me a white screen on all the monitors plugged into the 6950. THe monitor plugged into the IGP shows the login screen, however after logging in it reboots.

System Details:

10.8 Mountain Lion

AMD Kernel (AMD Phenom II 1090t)

8GB RAM

MSI Twin Frozr II 6950 2GB (2 monitors plugged in via displayport > vga [active] and 1 plugged in via dvi to vga)

Im using the kexts from this thread and booting with:

-v -f -x GraphicsEnabler=no npci=0x3000 PCIRootUID=0

and no DSDT.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi! I'm italian, so sorry for my bad english.

I have a MBP retina with ML and pc with these spec:

mobo -> asus p6x58d-premium

ram -> corsair 24gb ddr3

cpu -> i7 920

hdd -> samsung ssd 830 256gb

graph cards: 2x hd 6950 in crossfire.

Now, i've installed ML in this pc, replacing the 2x 6950 with a 3870. After this i've found this post and I try to install the kext etc.. for my hd 6950 (I just tried with a single 6950), but when I reboot with GE=yes,

always appears the white screen :(

This is the way that I try:

- install osx with myhack (3870, ge=no) -> ok

- install the 7 kexts in the first post (3870, ge=no) -> ok

- replace the graphs card with 1x 6950 ge=no -> ok

- reboot and set ge=yes -> white screen :(

I also try installing the Oleg_Tr's patched kexts, but with ge=yes and 6950 installed, appears withe screen :(

Can someone help me pls?

Thanks a lot! :)

PS: the openGL viewer show me always "apple software render" with 0mb of graphs memory

Hi jackpot try this bios setting primary boot first intuit 2nd slot start windows log in then restart mac clear white screen

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anybody work 6950 in 10.8.3 sent screen images ple

my xfx 6950 worked sleep mode with SleepEnabler.kext and patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from multibest remove nullcpupowerma

Hi all.

Can somebody help me in further steps to enable hardware acceleration?

I am currently booting with my integrated card set as primary (bios setup IGFX). For installation from usb I deleted everything that has ati or amd inside the name. Installation went well and I have full hd picture. Then I installed kexts I found here named as 10.8 final. It seems like this helped in the partial 6950 card recognition.

Now when I go in the menu "About This Mac" i have for graphics -Display 64 MB of Shared Mem.., and in system report the next:

575]
AMD Radeon HD 6xxx:

575] Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6xxx

575] Type: GPU

575] Bus: PCIe

575] PCIe Lane Width: x16

575] VRAM (Total): 2048 MB

575] Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

575] Device ID: 0x6719

575] Revision ID: 0x0000

my pc: asus maximus 4 gene-z, core i5 2500k, vtx 6950 2GB

Display:

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x0112

Revision ID: 0x0009

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Good news any step by step gude for 10.8.2/10.8.3 with acc

So far a few people reported the following procedure:

1) Get the official installer (InstallESD.dmg) for 10.8.2

2) Get a 8GB flash / hard drive

3) Get a VM if you don't have access to a Mac

4) Download myHack and from the menu select "Create Installer for 10.8"

5) Select your path to the InstallESD.dmg file and select your target device.

6) Wait

7) When everything finishes enter the following command in your terminal:

sudo mv /Volumes/myHack\ OS\ X\ Install\ Disk/System/Library/Extensions/ATI6000Controller.kext /Volumes/myHack\ OS\ X\ Install\ Disk/Extra/RemovedExtensions/

* This will move the ATI6000Controller.kext, so you can boot the installer

8) Open the myHack.app once again, select Fix Utility and point to the drive where you created the installer (the default is: "myHack OS X Install Disk")

9) Reboot and boot into your flash/hard drive

10) When you see the countdown - interrupt it (press any key)

11) enter the command "GraphicsEnabler=No -v" and press Enter

12) Install

13) Reboot again, boot your flash / hard drive and select the partition where you installed OS X, enter

"GraphicsEnabler=No -v"

and press Enter

14) You should now be in your OS X Desktop

15) The following commands will copy the kext you will modify back to /Extra/RemovedExtensions so if you screw you'll be able to restore them back

sudo cp -R /Volumes/myHack\ OS\ X\ Install\ Disk/Extra/RemovedExtensions/ATI6000Controller.kext /Extra/RemovedExtensions/
sudo mv -R /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext /Extra/RemovedExtensions/
sudo mv -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext /Extra/RemovedExtensions/

16) Copy OlegTr's kext to /System/Library/Extensions:

First cd into the dir where you downloaded the patched kext's and enter the following commands:

sudo cp -R ATI6000Controller.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo cp -R AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo cp -R AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

17) Open the myHack.app on your install drive, open it, select "Fix Utility" and select your system drive ("/")

18) Open System Settings -> Users and Groups and click Login items tab

19) Drag and drop the FBRotate.app to your login items

20) Reboot

21) Boot from your install drive and this time just select the partition where you installed OS X

22) IF you're lucky you should boot to your desktop.

Couple of things:

- Few people said it worked for them, but for me it just turns from White to Grey screen. Might be hit&miss situation

- Cold boot bug is present

- There's difference between myHack OS X Install Disk and the partition where you install your OS X so make sure you're selecting the correct one when you're presented with the 5 sec timeout in the bootloader.

- Copy FBRotate.app and the modified kexts to the USB drive, cause there's a big chance your networking won't be working right away

Links:

myHack

HD6950 Oleg_Tr's modified Kext's (Attachment in post #196)

FBrotate.app (Homepage if you're interested)

Thanks man.very-nice guide I will try and report

Enter reset buttion clear cold boot

Enter reset buttion clear cold boot

When I press power button in the grey screen (without cursor...only grey screen)nothing happens....If I restarts the system, the same thing happens: white screen that changes into grey screen (my info monitor says that resolution is 1920x1080) and nothing....thanks for help!

gray scree no cursor = kext not loaded right. simply put it. do -v and GraphicsEnabler=Yes and see what u get. remember u may not be able to boot 6950 on its own until the kext are loaded properly. try to load with ur built in and swap once ur at desktop. however for this u need to make sure 6950 is loaded and detected in profiler. Also Remove AMDaccelerator kext. doesnt work in 10.8.3. im having same issues. trying .2 now hopefully it works as some are claiming.

gray scree no cursor = kext not loaded right. simply put it. do -v and GraphicsEnabler=Yes and see what u get. remember u may not be able to boot 6950 on its own until the kext are loaded properly. try to load with ur built in and swap once ur at desktop. however for this u need to make sure 6950 is loaded and detected in profiler. Also Remove AMDaccelerator kext. doesnt work in 10.8.3. im having same issues. trying .2 now hopefully it works as some are claiming.

I followed the guide using the modified oleg's kext...why the kext aren't loaded properly?? And now I cannot go to the desktop because of gray screen...

P.S. I has white screen that changes into gray screen if I sets in boot -v and GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

thanks!