[AMD] 10.7.3 Guide - Experimental Only

Devout

210 posts in this topic

[AMD] 10.7.3 Guide - Experimental Only

Guide Revision 003 - 20042012

Written by Devout

CHANGES are in Green.

Introduction

Welcome to the tutorial to get your 10.7.3 running. Before we start, I'd like to make it clear that this tutorial is based on a kernel that is still being developed, and future changes to the tutorial will occur. Additionally, not everything works right now so you'll just have to see if your machine is supported and that you want to see if it's capable of running Lion. Please do not install this if you're planning to use the machine a lot, as there are still problems with applications crashing, and I don't want you to be frustrated. Use my Snow Leopard Guide if you need a reliable machine (link in FAQ).

It's currently impossible to install Lion using your AMD machine, unless if it's a distribution. Please use Methods 1 to 3, depending on what access of hardware you have. Additionally, these range from being easy (1) to hard (3). The Retail Lion installation requires an Intel processor, and you won't be able to bypass this on an AMD machine, hence you might need to use Methods 2 or 3.

Installation - Setup

Method 1 - Easy

Required: 10.7.3 DMG from Mac App Store + Existing Intel Hackintosh or Mac Hardware

• Using your exisiting Intel hackintosh machine running Snow Leopard 10.6.6 + or real Macintosh hardware, Install 10.7.3 Retail DMG to an external harddrive OR take your your exisiting hard drive and connect it to your machine using an external exclosure if needed.
  • Once it's installed successfully move on to STEP 1. (Follow directly, don't restart, reboot).

Method 2 - Moderate

Required: iATKOS L2, ShowAllFiles, Existing Snow Leopard

• Using your existing AMD Machine running Snow Leopard. Mount iATKOS L2 DMG, and let it verify.
  • Once verified, you'll need to ShowAllFiles, before you can see the contents of the DMG.
  • Once ShowAllFiles has been enabled, open the DMG.
  • Locate: System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mkpg and open the file.
  • This is the Lion Installer, continue till you can customize the install. Make sure you select the correct Installation Harddrive, as you need to be careful you're not reinstalling over Snow Leopard or other important partitions.
  • Customize the installation, however you like. Not much of this will matter, leave the default selected items. Additionally you can untick Bootloader, if you want it to be a bootable USB (Scroll down for this). Install any network/sound drivers you need.
  • Let the installation continue and install, let it finish, and you'll have Lion installed.
  • Once it's successfully installed move on to STEP 1. (Follow directly, don't restart, reboot).

Method 3 - Hard

Required: iATKOS L2, iHazard 10.6.2, ShowAllFiles, Existing Snow Leopard

• Download VirtualBox https://www.virtualbox.org/, and install.
  • Download iHazard 10.6.2 ISO.
  • Create a VirtualBox Profile and configure profile, making sure you untick Special EFI, and then load iHazard 10 6 2 ISO.
  • Run the Virtual Profile you created and install 10.6.2.
  • Once successfully Installed, restart.
  • Try and run Snow Leopard with the following Bootflags:
  • -v arch=i386

• If it works, proceed. (If not, reply to topic).
  • Remove iHazard 10.6.2 ISO from the Virtual Profile.
  • Attach iATKOS L2 DMG to the Virtual Profile, and open it up from within Snow Leopard.
  • iATKOS should come up.
  • You'll need to ShowAllFiles, before you can see the contents of the iATKOS.
  • Once ShowAllFiles has been enabled, open iATKOS.
  • Locate: System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mkpg and open the file.
  • This is the Lion Installer, continue till you can customize the install. Make sure you select the correct Installation Harddrive, as you need to be careful you're not reinstalling over Snow Leopard or other important partitions.
  • Customize the installation, however you like. Not much of this will matter, leave the default selected items. Additionally you can untick Bootloader, if you want it to be a bootable USB (Click here for that). Install any network/sound drivers you need.
  • Let the installation continue and install, let it finish, and you'll have Lion installed.
  • Once it's successfully installed move on to STEP 1. (Follow directly, don't restart, reboot).

STEP 1:

• If you've enabled ShowAllFiles yet, do so now.
  • Open the root of the freshly Installed Lion.
  • Replace the hidden (but shown up) mach_kernel with the one from here. (http://www.osx86.net...md!!!!!!!!.html) (Use V4).

STEP 2:

• Install Chameleon using Chameleon Wizard on the harddrive. Additionally, you can choose to install this on a USB stick so you have a bootable USB.

STEP 3:

• Reboot and configure your BIOS and make sure the drive that the partition is on is set as AHCI.
  • Reboot to save your BIOS settings and you should be in Chameleon. (If you created a bootable USB with Chameleon, make sure you use Boot Priorty for your USB to load before Hard drive or press F8 (button varies), to boot the USB directly first).
  • Type in the bootflags

-legacy -v arch=i386 npci=0x3000

Step 4:

• It should load, and you'll be greeted with the Welcome Screen. You've now got a running machine of Lion!
  • Proceed to install graphical, wireless and sound drivers if they're not already working. (If you used iATKOS L2, upgrade to 10.7.3 through combo updater and then replace mach_kernel and finder again, or you'll need to use another Mac or MacDrive to replace these files).
  • Confirm your motherboard processor! BY REPLYING!

CONFIRMED motherboards + processors list

Motherboards

• Asus M2N32-SLI
  • Asus M2N68 AM-SE2
  • Asus M4785TD-M EVO
  • Asus M5A78L-M LX v2
  • AsRock N68-S3
  • MSI 870A-G46

Processors

• AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition
  • AMD Phenom II X3 450 Black Edition
  • AMD Phenom II X4 955
  • AMD Athlon II X2 250
  • AMD Athlon II X2 5400+ BE
  • AMD Athlon II X2 7550
  • AMD Athlon II x4 640

FAQ.

Q. Do I need to replace mach_kernel if I update Lion?

Yes, you'll need to do this if you're coming from iATKOS 10.7.2 to 10.7.3. You'll need to do it for future updates as well as 10.7.3.

Q. Is it possible to replace mach_kernel and finder in Windows?

Yes, with MacDrive.

Q. I get stuck at "AppleUSBOHCI::CheckSleepCapability - OHCI Controller will be unloaded across sleep" in verbose mode.

Make sure your hard drive is set to AHCI mode in BIOS.

Q. I get stuck on [PCI Configuration Begin]?

Make sure your use either npci=0x2000 or npci=0x3000.

Q. I get stuck after [PCI Configuration Begin] or RTC: Only Single Ram Bank (128 bytes) or FakeSMC?

Your motherboard has problems with USB Legacy so unplug the keyboard and mouse and see if you can boot, unplug them after you press enter after inserting your boot flags in Chameleon, you can also try by adding the bootflag: USBLegacyOff=Yes

Q. Finder doesn't work?

The kernel is only capable of 32 bit mode, meaning you'll need to use the Lion DP2 Finder which can be downloaded here. Replace System/Core Services/Finder.app. You'll need to replace this everytime you update Lion to a newer version.

Q. -v Sometimes it doesn't load? Stuck after DMOS has arrived.

It freezes sometimes, you'll need to use -x bootflag to run safe mode.

Q. Does iCloud work? My Ethernet is en0, deleted Network Interfaces.plist, but still doesn't work?

iCloud/Facetime doesn't work with self-compiled kernels. Appstore will work with EthernetBuiltIn=Yes bootflag.

Q. Why do applications stop opening after X minutes? (Typically 10).

Kernel bug, should be fixed in the future. READ BELOW FOR TIPS!

The reason why applications are not functioning after 10 minutes is because Xpchelper has a bug and it's sending a lot of information to ReportCrash and it's basically nuking the system, hence system core services applications don't work after a while.

• You can remove ReportCrash in (sys/lib/coreserv/reportcrash)
  • Force Quit XPCHELPER everytime you launch a system core service application like Safari, App Store, Calender, FaceTime etc.

It won't fix it, and it will still stop working, but this prolongs the availability of opening applications and using your system for more varied tasks.

Q. Do you have a Snow Leopard Guide?

Yes!, you can find it here (AMD): http://www.insanelym...howtopic=253767

Bootable USB

• Open Charmeleon Wizard
  • Install Charmeleon latest build to your USB stick
  • Once completed it's ready to be used. IMPORTANT!=(When using this to boot you will need to press enter so it loads mach_kernel into the userframe before it can load futher, it'll tell you to press any key to continue because mach_kernel is not found, but once you type bootflags and try to load again, it'll work.)

• Like 9

Nice guide mate!

After the install and everything, boot hangs on "AppleUSBOHCI::CheckSleepCapability - OHCI Controller will be unloaded across sleep".

Any idea?

Sounds really strange but unplug mouse and keyboard and booting and are you sure your drive is set to AHCI also in BIOS?

update: going to see where I get stuck when my drive is not set to AHCI. BRB :)

update 2: Yepp it gets stuck there when my drive is set to IDE, instead of AHCI.

update 3: Added some more FAQs.

• Like 1

I replaced the original kernel of the dmg AppleStore for this supposed legacy.

Using rboot retail dmg + "modified" and the system was for the installation and completed successfully!

however now the machine does not start the installation ..

I tried many flags but nothing seems to work ..

ps cpu: fx-8120

if the boot to the installation worked perfectly because it should not be starting now that is already installed?

Sounds really strange but unplug mouse and keyboard and booting and are you sure your drive is set to AHCI also in BIOS?

update: going to see where I get stuck when my drive is not set to AHCI. BRB :)

update 2: Yepp it gets stuck there when my drive is set to IDE, instead of AHCI.

update 3: Added some more FAQs.

Thanks for your kind reply! : )

Now the situation is kinda hairy, let me explain;

I've used your Method 2 to install Lion. I had snow leopard installed on a 2.5" HDD which connected to my computer via conventer "SATA/ATA/IDE TO USB" kind of one. So snow is running on a 2.5" IDE external USB device.(40GB :P)

Because I'm out of hardware, I installed Lion on a IDE driver which connects to the computer in the same way, with a conventer. So I'm trying to run Lion from a USB connected 3.5" IDE (30GB :P) device. When I plug it to my motherboard via IDE, It hangs the same line and waiting for the root device. (appleusbohci) I checked for my bios and I guess I can't have my IDE drives as AHCI. (My chipset is AMD 740G and SB700)

But I still have a Snow Leo up and running. Isn't there some kext I can add to the Lion drive? I did some tweaking for installing Snow Leopard but they are not working on Lion.

Edit: I've removed IOUSBFamily.kext and IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext and now this happens. (Uploaded an image)

post-439553-0-80777900-1334745719_thumb.jpg

I replaced the original kernel of the dmg AppleStore for this supposed legacy.

Using rboot retail dmg + "modified" and the system was for the installation and completed successfully!

however now the machine does not start the installation ..

I tried many flags but nothing seems to work ..

ps cpu: fx-8120

if the boot to the installation worked perfectly because it should not be starting now that is already installed?

Hmm, I would try to replace the mach_kernel with v5 again, just incase. I haven't heard anyone successfully installing Lion using rboot. I would suggest you get the kexts for IOPCIFamily, RTC, FakeSMC, Evoreboot, Disabler and see if it helps.

This method of installation isn't quite clear to me, so I'm not sure if I can help you any forward, other then recommending this. Sorry.

Works with AMD Athlon X2 5400+ BE on Asus M2N32-Sli (Nforce 590) with v4 kernel, Sapphire Radeon 4870 512mb.

Thank you :-) Added to confirmed motherboards + processor.

Thanks for your kind reply! : )

Now the situation is kinda hairy, let me explain;

I've used your Method 2 to install Lion. I had snow leopard installed on a 2.5" HDD which connected to my computer via conventer "SATA/ATA/IDE TO USB" kind of one. So snow is running on a 2.5" IDE external USB device.(40GB :P)

Because I'm out of hardware, I installed Lion on a IDE driver which connects to the computer in the same way, with a conventer. So I'm trying to run Lion from a USB connected 3.5" IDE (30GB :P) device. When I plug it to my motherboard via IDE, It hangs the same line and waiting for the root device. (appleusbohci) I checked for my bios and I guess I can't have my IDE drives as AHCI. (My chipset is AMD 740G and SB700)

But I still have a Snow Leo up and running. Isn't there some kext I can add to the Lion drive? I did some tweaking for installing Snow Leopard but they are not working on Lion.

Edit: I've removed IOUSBFamily.kext and IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext and now this happens. (Uploaded an image)

post-439553-0-80777900-1334745719_thumb.jpg

That would where "AppleUSBOHCI::CheckSleepCapability - OHCI Controller will be unloaded across sleep" would pop up, if it wasn't for waiting for root device. I've not found a way to run it in IDE configuration, I've only found that switching it to AHCI worked. Sorry.

That would where "AppleUSBOHCI::CheckSleepCapability - OHCI Controller will be unloaded across sleep" would pop up, if it wasn't for waiting for root device. I've not found a way to run it in IDE configuration, I've only found that switching it to AHCI worked. Sorry.

Hey don't be sorry! :) I just wanted to ask: I'm booting an IDE device on USB. Does it really matter wheter it's IDE or SATA? Shouldn't it recognized as usb drive? Maybe i should find the right USB kexts or modify one? What do you think?

Thanks!

Hey don't be sorry! :) I just wanted to ask: I'm booting an IDE device on USB. Does it really matter wheter it's IDE or SATA? Shouldn't it recognized as usb drive? Maybe i should find the right USB kexts or modify one? What do you think?

Thanks!

I'm not sure, I haven't tried. I know that if it was a USB hard drive it should be recognized as a USB device, as I've done this with a memory stick (for testing), and it did load! took x 3 times longer to install and boot but it did work. I think the IDE drive is a problem as it's been configured internally as IDE hence it just won't be able to boot Lion, however I don't have evidence to back this up but I think it won't work boot. I'm not sure there are any kexts that patch this, but I'm not aware of any from my experience. I originally had my Sata drives configured as IDE and it didn't work, stopped at same point but as soon as I switched to AHCI, it worked.

I'm not sure, I haven't tried. I know that if it was a USB hard drive it should be recognized as a USB device, as I've done this with a memory stick (for testing), and it did load! took x 3 times longer to install and boot but it did work. I think the IDE drive is a problem as it's been configured internally as IDE hence it just won't be able to boot Lion, however I don't have evidence to back this up but I think it won't work boot. I'm not sure there are any kexts that patch this, but I'm not aware of any from my experience. I originally had my Sata drives configured as IDE and it didn't work, stopped at same point but as soon as I switched to AHCI, it worked.

Okay I got the point, i shall restore my USB IDE to my internal SATA on next week! Thanks for the insight. :)

Okay I got the point, i shall restore my USB IDE to my internal SATA on next week! Thanks for the insight. :)

Good! I'm trying to make it more stable atm, by tweaking some system files. Moving reportcrash has increased the duration before apps crash by another 10 minutes, until it refuses to load anymore applications or move files. I'm going to do some more research and see what I can find out.

Confirmed Working :D

CPU : AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2Ghz

GFX: ATI XFX 5770

Mobo:Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H

HDD in AHCI Mode

Kernel Flags : -legacy -v npci=0x3000

Thanks a lot for the tutorial :)

Thanks!, and well done for following very closely and getting it to work :)

I'm facing a problem :( I can't get my audio working :o I install a kext and reboot it gets stuck at "AppleUSBOHCI::CheckSleepCapability - OHCI Controller will be unloaded across sleep". Unless I remove the kext system won't boot. Can someone help me ? or am I just stuck ?

I'm facing a problem :( I can't get my audio working :o I install a kext and reboot it gets stuck at "AppleUSBOHCI::CheckSleepCapability - OHCI Controller will be unloaded across sleep". Unless I remove the kext system won't boot. Can someone help me ? or am I just stuck ?

Hey i Installed it, and installed all of my kexts.

The result was stuck on this error.

Then i removed my audio and evoreboot kext, and it still stuck on this error?

Can someone help me? Thanks.

My SATA is AHCI.

My SATA is AHCI.

Remove all the custom kexts you have installed and then try booting with these boot flags : -legacy -f -v npci=0x3000 arch=i386 . It should boot up, boots up for me at least when I remove all the custom kexts that I've added :)

My SATA is AHCI.

Also there is a rare error, which my motherboard has where my keyboard just can't be plugged in unless I use bootflag USBLegacyOff=Yes. Try unplugging your keyboard after entering bootflags and pressing enter and then unplug. Strange, but I've stalled there numerous times. Also custom kexts shouldn't be used but Evoreboot didn't effect my installation, but you could have some that may be causing a problem. Also your motherboard might has different setting slots for Drives 1 - 4, Drives 5 - 7. Maybe you set AHCI to 1 - 4 but your drive is connected to the 5 - 7 slots, so in theory it's not actually AHCI?

Here's some of the custom kexts I've installed:

1. FakeSMC.
  2. EvoreBoot.
  3. Disabler.
  4. IOPCIFamily.
  5. RTC.
  6. Realtek RTL.

• ATI5000.kext configured - For my 5770
  • Atheros Fix - for wireless card (D-LINK G520 REV. B4)
  • VoodooHDA - but keyboard has a built-in sound card too (native) so I don't use motherboard sound card.

Also guide updated, my system seems more stable. See FAQ.

"Using your existing AMD Machine running Snow Leopard"

Right now I'm on Leopard, do you think I can start the installation or I need to install Snow first?

Sorry if this is a stupid question

Think you're fine just make sure iATKOS L2 is used, if you can open the OSInstall.mpkg file, then I'm sure you'll have no problems :D

Also there is a rare error, which my motherboard has where my keyboard just can't be plugged in unless I use bootflag USBLegacyOff=Yes. Try unplugging your keyboard after entering bootflags and pressing enter and then unplug. Strange, but I've stalled there numerous times. Also custom kexts shouldn't be used but Evoreboot didn't effect my installation, but you could have some that may be causing a problem. Also your motherboard might has different setting slots for Drives 1 - 4, Drives 5 - 7. Maybe you set AHCI to 1 - 4 but your drive is connected to the 5 - 7 slots, so in theory it's not actually AHCI?

Here's some of the custom kexts I've installed:

1. FakeSMC.
  2. EvoreBoot.
  3. Disabler.
  4. IOPCIFamily.
  5. RTC.
  6. Realtek RTL.

• ATI5000.kext configured - For my 5770
  • Atheros Fix - for wireless card (D-LINK G520 REV. B4)
  • VoodooHDA - but keyboard has a built-in sound card too (native) so I don't use motherboard sound card.

Also guide updated, my system seems more stable. See FAQ.

Ok I fixed that custom kext error by just repairing permissions using Disk Utility and then ran System Utilities in ########. That seems to solve the whole custom kext for me :D .

Deleted the report crash from core services hopefully I'll be able to open apps after 10 min :)

Method 2 install worked on ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 motherboard and AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition processor.

Here's some troubleshooting information you can add to your guide if you'd like.

Enabling hardware sensors in the iAtkos L2 install can cause FakeSMC to kernel panic. To fix this, simply remove FakeSMC.kext from S/L/E (note that this of course disables hardware sensoring capabilities).

Instead of typing npci=0x2000/0x3000 as a boot flag, simply install the IOPCIFamily patch in the iAtkos L2 install.

If your system hangs at "DSMOS has arrived", add -legacy to your bootflags.

I had some issues with installing Chameleon, which was odd since I've never had trouble with it, but I figure it's due to my EFI partition, so I'll have to format that if I install Lion again.

However, I'm going to continue to wait for a more stable kernel. Thank you for this guide, it was a tremendous help.