PunkNugget's Mod - THE HACKINBEAST !

PunkNugget

73 posts in this topic

BTW, if this guy "N/A" who hit this amazing GB score were able to tweak his BIOS to reach 16,000 to 18,000+ on each CPU - WHOA HOLY COW !!!

We're talkin' ZERO POINT ENERGY at that point !!! :blink: And then N/A would be MIA... :worried_anim:

PS - Remember this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_Quadra_605

That was the first Mac that I ever used and trained myself on. Can you believe it - 25 MHz?... That thing probably would've have received a GB score of 35 or less. Wow, and look at where we're at now...

Can you believe it - 25 MHz?... That thing probably would've have received a GB score of 35 or less.

Well, considering that the GB scoring system is based, for the Mac version at least, on a comparison to a G5 power Mac, with a base score of 1000. Those had dual single-core power PC processors between 1.6 and 2.4GHz. So on that scale, the 25mhz wouldn't likely even register on a GB test.

Sorry, I'm actually very new to this mid-life crisis; I mean hobby...

Ha. Explains the nice budget. I only wish I had your budget. I have so many ideas and thoughts and wants for this hobby/money pit, but that's just the thing. I have no money to put any of my ideas into reality.

Seriously awesome build though. Not quite the direction I would have gone with it, but to each his own.

Well, considering that the GB scoring system is based, for the Mac version at least, on a comparison to a G5 power Mac, with a base score of 1000. Those had dual single-core power PC processors between 1.6 and 2.4GHz. So on that scale, the 25mhz wouldn't likely even register on a GB test.

That's why I said "...35 or less..." as less would be the better guess... LOL !!!

Ha. Explains the nice budget. I only wish I had your budget. I have so many ideas and thoughts and wants for this hobby/money pit, but that's just the thing. I have no money to put any of my ideas into reality.

Actually when it comes to the "nice budget" thing, that's not entirely acruate. I am very much on a tight budget, that's why my system only cost me $3,350 and not the near $11,000 that it would have cost me if I purchased a Mac Pro (Equivalent) Tower. Even then that Mac Pro would have been 35%+ slower. If you want more verification that my system is cheaper, lets compare it to a PC equivalent. I priced out BOXX Tech, Digital Storm Online and MainGear PC systems, and they ALL cost close to around $10,500 to 11,500 (at the time about 5 to 6 months ago). What's even more amazing; even though Digital Storm Online and MainGear are using the BEST Positive Pressure Airflow PC Cases on the market, they are provided by none other than - Silverstone Tek. I tried to talk to Joel (Silverstone Tek's U.S. Main Tech/Rep) to see if I could get one of these new PC cases; as I prefer Straight Line design PC cases (like this new one):

http://www.digitalst...tm_medium=email

and this one:

http://www.maingear....shift/index.php

But that's something that is exclusive just for that company and not for resale, if I just wanted the case. The layout on the inside of the Aventum is almost identical (although not vertical). Who knows, they could've have used my build as their model as no one else at the time used the TJ11 with an SR-2 when I started this project. The only person who did the very same build was Daz-Mode (on YouTube), who built one about a 5 weeks after I started mine. He finished first though (as he had help from his small crew to get it finished faster).

The Digital Storm Aventum uses the new EVGA SR-X (non-overclockable) server board. I wonder how it will fair with those that will figure out a way to install Mac OS X on there and how the GB score will fair on these new mobos. I spoke extensively with Joel at Silverstone Tek; as I'm a reseller for their product line (and many other PC part companies). I took a chance (and was hoping that it would fit the SR-2 that I had recently purchased) and grabbed their Touring Demo TJ11 Case, that became their production model soon after for only $200 (instead of the $659.95 that others were charging at the time a few months back), and that included delivery. I was super excited to get it and found out that the SR-2 just slipped right in with no issues. I was very puzzled as to why they didn't do a few modifications to make it work for the SR-2 and SR-X mobo.

The great thing is (as I'm a person who loves technical things), I can now appreciate this "hobby" at the same level as pro builders and then some, because I can actually use it for everyday purpose use.

Seriously awesome build though. Not quite the direction I would have gone with it, but to each his own.

Thanks again for the compliments. If I were to do it all over again, I would choose the Lian-Li PC-90 for the SR-2 mobo, funk up the design a bit to make it unique and slap 2 Corsair H80's in the case (for the CPUs) and call it a day as this was the MOTHER OF ALL projects (especially since this was my second ever PC build). Again, I'm grateful for the experience... B)

I am very much on a tight budget

Well let's just say I'd love to have 3500 bucks to spend on a computer. I'd have a frickin hayday.

manta307 posted this on one of my other posts here of the same build. I only posted this here because I'm actually making some updates to my existing system and thought you'd want to know what I'm changing...

I got the parts and am getting ready to rock. Have the EVGA SR-2 mobo , dual Xeons etc etc on a benchtop and will check that all is working with Win7, then get to the fun part. I will not be doing watercooling, just the official Intel "thermal solution". Then install into the LianLi PC-90 case (no windows), have to decide on black or aluminum (MacPro style). Maybe the PC-Z70 which has a bit more style; just my preference for minimalist look. Also being here in Thailand there is limited availability for cool items; as it is I got the mobo and CPUs from the USA.

So should be ready to have a Mac-attack in a few days and will be hoping for input from you on best way to tackle this beast.

How's your build coming along? I ask this because I pretty much said the same thing (thinking it was going to only take me a 5 to 6 weeks to build) and a few months later... well, life happens. I'm just glad it's mostly done. I say "mostly" because you're never really done with it. You know what's funny, I just made a comment about if I were to do it all over again what I would do and that's the exact case I would use next time.

Even if your Mac-Attac or Mak-Attak (just a title suggestion as I like the name you gave it) isn't done this month, enter it in May. I'm sure if you build it tight and clean and take great pics I'm sure you'd have a great chance at winning.

BTW, what CPUs do you have I have a pair of X5680's that I'm wanting to sell for $2,000. Retail they go for $1,400 each. I just upgraded to X5690's, as I wanted to max out this machine and I just purchase another Laing (Swiftech MCP-655-B/Koolance PMP-450) Pump and I'm going to get the new Koolance RP-452x2 Rev.2 Dual Bay and swap it out with the current one that I'm using. I'm wanting to see if I can more water to flow through the unit. Lastly, I also just picked up a EVGA GTX 580 with a EK Waterblock. I would have preferred to stick with Koolance all the way, but I like the CLEAR plexiglas look as I want the green UV fluid to show with all the UV lights I got going on in the unit...

PS - I forgot to mention that I swapped out the RAM and purchased Corsair XMS3 48GB of RAM. It's slightly better than the RAM that I currently have as it's 2000MHz instead of the 1600MHz from the Kingston HyperX RAM that I was using. You see, you're never quite finished with the unit... ever... LOL !!! :wink2:

PPS - If anyone is interested in getting any of my extra parts (RAM & CPUs), PM me as I going to be listing them on eBay soon. Personally I'd rather just sell them to someone here as I would save on the fees. Later...

Hey all, just thought you might want to have a few screen savers that I made a while ago. It's called Spawn Eyes. I used to be a big collector of Spawn Figurines and have about 60 of them in their original blisters. Enjoy 'em. Later... B)

SPAWN-2560X1600.jpg

Spawn Eyes v2.jpg

Spawn Eyes v3.jpg

Those are images? How about ab actual screen saver?

Actually all you have to do it just select the image and then click the "save" icon, and you're done. They're all done to the MAX res that you'll find out there (2560 x 1600 jpegs). Hope that helps. If there is something that is preventing that from happening just let me know and PM me your email and I'll send them to you one at a time. Later... B)

Well my thought of a screen saver isn't something that's going to tie up CPU, GPU & RAM usage with some kind of funky anime anyway. I probably should have said wallpaper to be more exact, like what you would find here:

http://jimswidescree...s.blogspot.com/

or here:

http://digitalblasph...om/seeall.shtml

or here:

http://www.triplemon...ackgrounds.com/

or here:

http://mintywhite.com/customize/multi-monitor/100-triple-screenmonitor-desktop-wallpapers/

and so on...

I have some that I kept as backup for myself, as I can't them anymore online. Those are UT3 (Unreal Tournament 3 - 2008) wallpapers that had some of the most rich detail that I could have found on any video game. Also, to me UT2004 was probably the BEST VIDEO GAME EVER. Onslaught (for UT2004) was the most intense, addictive game EVER !!! This game is STILL alive and well with many gamers even after 8+ years you'll still find 60 to 80 servers worldwide still playing this particular game (out of the 10 different games they had on that one DVD). By far ONSLAUGHT was the shiznit of games !!!!!

Enjoy the wallpaper... Later... B)

I don't think you need to worry about a screen saver using up CPU or GPU power, wouldn't even make that beast flinch. Got enough horse power you could almost play Crysis:)

what do you mean he ALMOST could play crysis? I play it on ultimate with very minor skipping and I only have a $120 graphics card. He should be able to play it no problem.

I don't think you need to worry about a screen saver using up CPU or GPU power, wouldn't even make that beast flinch. Got enough horse power you could almost play Crysis:)

I know that I could, I just don't like clogging up my system more than I have to. Plus, when it comes to Crysis I have EVGA GTX 580 3GB GPU, so I know that I easily play Crysis, but I don't have that kind of time to do that. Would be nice though... :)

what do you mean he ALMOST could play crysis? I play it on ultimate with very minor skipping and I only have a $120 graphics card. He should be able to play it no problem.

I know that I could, I just don't like clogging up my system more than I have to. Plus, when it comes to Crysis I have EVGA GTX 580 3GB GPU, so I know that I easily play Crysis, but I don't have that kind of time to do that. Would be nice though... :)

Of course you can pwn Crysis! I hope that meme isn't so old it's been forgotten or people might start getting rickrolled again :D

{censored} Amazing build !!!! nice work guy !!!!!!

Thanks for the Big-Ups; never get tired of hearing them. Again, thanks... :thumbsup_anim:

Of course you can pwn Crysis! I hope that meme isn't so old it's been forgotten or people might start getting rickrolled again :D

Actually you unknowingly got me on that one as I've never knew that to be a "RickRolled" comment. I actually thought that you were legitimately asking me a serious question - LOL !!! :lol: I'll know better next time...

• 2 weeks later...

ah sorry... I typed too quicly.. 56 not 6.. eh!!

the gesus exclamation is a great ovation to your incredible machine. I think .. in the end.. your architecture is greather that a normal mac osx server.. isn't it?

ah sorry... I typed too quicly.. 56 not 6.. eh!!

the gesus exclamation is a great ovation to your incredible machine. I think .. in the end.. your architecture is greather that a normal mac osx server.. isn't it?

I hope it is. All I know is that this machine is a beast in rendering speed, so I'm grateful... :)