The inevitable P8P67 Pro install guide...

^Andy^

193 posts in this topic

I am assuming you are running windows as well, Does the Modified Bios effect the performance of the board at all in the windows environment? I shouldn't have to flash my card though correct. And I wanted to thank you for helping me and all the time that you have dedicated to helping people like me.

The bios mod makes no difference whatsoever to windows and it should continue to work as normal (I multiboot between linux, various osx flavours, windows 7 and even an old XP installation with the modified bios).. You do not have to flash the 6950.

NOTE - If you flash the new bios remember to delete NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and then boot with -f UseKernelCache=No the first time

The bios mod makes no difference whatsoever to windows and it should continue to work as normal (I multiboot between linux, various osx flavours, windows 7 and even an old XP installation with the modified bios).. You do not have to flash the 6950.

NOTE - If you flash the new bios remember to delete NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and then boot with -f UseKernelCache=No the first time

Does it matter what Bios version I am currently on? Also have you ever tried to flash back to stock Bios without any issues?

Does it matter what Bios version I am currently on? Also have you ever tried to flash back to stock Bios without any issues?

Doesnt matter what bios version you are on as long as its older or same version - flashing back is straightforward as long as you are not trying to flas back to an older version although that can still be done but may be more complicated that its worth

Andy did you try Developer Preview 2? is there any progress?

Dude its 5am and I have only just seen its available - give me a chance lol

Dude its 5am and I have only just seen its available - give me a chance lol

Ok dp2 does work pretty well but you cant use my usb install package due to the modified mbr files screwing up the installer (it will crash soon after you select the drive and click install). I will build a new package shortly (not tonight though) or you can follow the guide BUT skip the usb package instead use chameleon wizard to install chameleon to the usb stick and then use pacifist to install the extra folder and kexts from the package (if you use a recent version of chameleon remember to rename the boot.plist or alternatively use chameleon wizard then replace the boot file and boot.plist with the ones from the usb install package). Remember to also copy the mach_kernel from the downloaded dp2 image to your usb boot stick! After that your uisb installer should be good to go and after install you can use the other package to make your new dp2 install bootable etc.

• Like 1

Ok dp2 does work pretty well but you cant use my usb install package due to the modified mbr files screwing up the installer (it will crash soon after you select the drive and click install). I will build a new package shortly (not tonight though) or you can follow the guide BUT skip the usb package instead use chameleon wizard to install chameleon to the usb stick and then use pacifist to install the extra folder and kexts from the package (if you use a recent version of chameleon remember to rename the boot.plist or alternatively use chameleon wizard then replace the boot file and boot.plist with the ones from the usb install package). Remember to also copy the mach_kernel from the downloaded dp2 image to your usb boot stick! After that your uisb installer should be good to go and after install you can use the other package to make your new dp2 install bootable etc.

I successfully installed ML DP2 using this method for creating the USB stick. Everything works!

I have two questions:

1. After installing ML from the USB stick and booting into the ML hard disk for the first time I would first get the apple logo with spinning wheel and then the display would go to sleep. However, when I used the -v option, the system booted (albeit with error messages) correctly and then I was able to install the driver package and everything worked. When I tried again (without the -v) on a different fresh install the display system again goes to sleep. This only happenms the first time I boot. After I install the driver package everything works without the -v. Any ideas? I can't figure it out and boy is it driving me crazy. It looks like the -v option forces the display to stay awake as it is spitting out info. It is a P8P67 Pro with GTX 460

2. Is there a way to have the install created on a hard disk partition instead of a USB disk (so that install goes faster)? The hard disk will have an existing lion install on one partition, thee ML install partition (say 8GB) and the a partition with ML Dp2. Just curious if this can be done.

Thanks.

1. After installing ML from the USB stick and booting into the ML hard disk for the first time I would first get the apple logo with spinning wheel and then the display would go to sleep. However, when I used the -v option, the system booted (albeit with error messages) correctly and then I was able to install the driver package and everything worked. When I tried again (without the -v) on a different fresh install the display system again goes to sleep. This only happenms the first time I boot. After I install the driver package everything works without the -v. Any ideas? I can't figure it out and boy is it driving me crazy. It looks like the -v option forces the display to stay awake as it is spitting out info. It is a P8P67 Pro with GTX 460

Try UseGraphicsEnabler=Yes

2. Is there a way to have the install created on a hard disk partition instead of a USB disk (so that install goes faster)? The hard disk will have an existing lion install on one partition, thee ML install partition (say 8GB) and the a partition with ML Dp2. Just curious if this can be done.

Not sure it would load the preboot image in that configuration but you can give it a try.

Try UseGraphicsEnabler=Yes

Not sure it would load the preboot image in that configuration but you can give it a try.

That did it! Even though the boot.plist has GraphicsEnabler=Yes, setting it again on the chameleon boot screen fixed it. Thank you.

Yes, the preboot.dmg does not get loaded. I am going to try booting with the USB and then pointing to the hard drive partition with the install image. I will report back later.

I am running into a sleep issue, or more precisely a wake from sleep issue.

I successfully flashed the bios on my P8P67 Pro using your files for the Rev 3.0. I am using a GTX 460 with two displays connected via DVI. I have removed NullCPUPower Management and rebuilt kexts. On ML DP2, system goes to sleep and wakes up like a charm each time without any problems! However, on Lion (10.7.3) it does not always work. Most of the time only the primary display wakes up and the secondary display does not leaving the system in an unusable state and requiring a hard reset. I say most of the time only because on a couple of rare occasions both monitors initialized back after sleep. Is there anything different I should be doing in Lion? Thank you.

Update:

Sleep now works perfectly on my P8P67 Pro machine with modded bios, dual DVI displays on GTX 460, no NULLCPUpowermanagement, and running Lion (as well as ML Dp2). On Lion, I removed the Nvidia update for 10.7.3 from ###### (MacMan patch) and instead installed the Quadro drivers for Lion from the Nvidia web site. On ML, sleep works natively without any added nvidia kexts.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy,

Just want to say a big THANK YOU! :thumbsup_anim: as after trying other guides from other sites (and failing with only limited success) I have used your guides to firstly install 10.6.7 and then follow this guide to create my Lion USB installer and install 10.7.3. It all worked like a charm, exactly as you said it would. Only bit I have struggled with is getting my Nvidia GTX480 to work properly, but now have nailed it (with the info from a couple of earlier posts here), dual displays looking superb. You are a sodding genius. Now to start installing apps... :D oops, better run Carbon copy first...

Thanks again

Steve

Andy,

Could you please tell me how to install just the audio from your package manually? On a couple of occasions when I did not have audio, I ran your package again and it fixed it. Rather than installing the whole package I would like to just add the audio. I have extracted from your package the three kexts using Pacifist. They are the AppleHDA (which I guess is from an older version of the OS 10.6.2), the ALC892 kext for the P8P67 Pro and the HDAEnbaler.

How do I install them using kext utility? Do they have to be done in a particular order? I ask because I see that your package creates a temp directory during installation.

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Andy,

Great work! I'm trying to install this with a 6950, but my mobo is giving a 'Image Integrity Check Failed' message when I try to flash the modded bios. I've definitely got a P8P67 PRO v3.1. I've tried it from a USB drive and the hard drive. Any ideas?

Andy,

Great work! I'm trying to install this with a 6950, but my mobo is giving a 'Image Integrity Check Failed' message when I try to flash the modded bios. I've definitely got a P8P67 PRO v3.1. I've tried it from a USB drive and the hard drive. Any ideas?

Try downloading the bios file again - possibly a corrupt download?

Hi Andy,

A new version of the BIOS has been out for some time now, do you think you could do it the magic you did with the older ones ? :)

I've read of many problems with the newest bios and people attempting to mod it. As it doesnt appear to offer anything new I'm staying away from it (for now) lol

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Andy, note about the 3k bios:

I updated my p8p67 (non-pro) the other day to be instantly met with kernel panic. After fiddling for a bit I found that with the latest chameleon (1955) installed and the new dsdt extracted it was back up and running. Interestingly sleep now works straight away with no need to fiddle with the bios.

Many thanks for the guides by the way...

Hey Andy, note about the 3k bios:

I updated my p8p67 (non-pro) the other day to be instantly met with kernel panic. After fiddling for a bit I found that with the latest chameleon (1955) installed and the new dsdt extracted it was back up and running. Interestingly sleep now works straight away with no need to fiddle with the bios.

Many thanks for the guides by the way...

Cool, have you unlocked the bios though or just used an unmodiofied Asus one? If unmodified it's unlikely that speedstep will be working.

Using an unmodified one at the minute. I have speedstepping between 1.6ghz and 3.3ghz on an i5-2500k but only those two states, I'm assuming I should have more but its at least half-way working. Sleep was the big plus for me...

Using an unmodified one at the minute. I have speedstepping between 1.6ghz and 3.3ghz on an i5-2500k but only those two states, I'm assuming I should have more but its at least half-way working. Sleep was the big plus for me...

I'm tempted to try the newer bios but the instructions on the Asus site saying flash it twice then reset cmos along with the posts i've seen saying 'its buggered my hack' put me off a bit lol. I can't see anything the new bios revision fix's that I'm currentluy having issues with either (probably due to the non existant change log supplied by Asus) but if it's working for you then cool - I will wait for a few more confirmations that it works with sleep, speedstepping and overclocks before I go for it :)

You wont get it to work with a 6950 without working sleep and you wont get sleep to work without the bios mod.

Hi , Andy can you try whit this in your org.chameleon

<key>PCIRootUID</key>

<string>1</string>

In my setup without this i have a white screen whit cursor.

Tried following the instructions but cannot find 'InstallESD.dmg'. Using DP3 possibly the issue? Will try with DP1. Also using 10.7 in virtualbox but I don't think that would cause any problems... So copying 'Packages' from the root of Mountain Lion image certainly doesn't work. Basically, I'm having problems with steps 11-13. So is 'MacOS X ESD', 'InstallESD.dmg', and 'Mac OS X Install ESD' the same thing? Sorry for being so stupid... I'm lost with OSX (I use Linux).