The inevitable P8P67 Pro install guide...

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

peebee01

peebee01

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Give this a try...

On the usb stick open the Extra folder and mount the preboot.dmg file. Open the mounted preboot disk image in finder and delete the dsdt.aml file.
Unmount the preboot.dmg and now try booting from the usb stick

Thanks for the suggestion Andy, but unfortunately that wasnt it.

I have the feeling it's the ATI 5450 video card causing it as the crash happens right when the video mode is switching during boot up. Are there specific kexts that could cause this crash that are related to the video card?
Would Grapicsenabler=no disable those kexts ? I tried that and it still resets during boot

^Andy^

^Andy^

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Thanks for the suggestion Andy, but unfortunately that wasnt it.

I have the feeling it's the ATI 5450 video card causing it as the crash happens right when the video mode is switching during boot up. Are there specific kexts that could cause this crash that are related to the video card?
Would Grapicsenabler=no disable those kexts ? I tried that and it still resets during boot

The usb stick should automatically boot with graphicsenabler=no but its worth a try just in case i slipped up.

You could also try deleteing all of the ATI kexts from the s/l/e folder on the usb stick (back em up first). Problem is even if that does get the installer running you are going to hit problems with the installed system if it does make it that far :(

toasted

toasted

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Andy, thank you so much for the modified BIOS! :) Works like a champ on my Pro 3.0 revision

^Andy^

^Andy^

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Andy, thank you so much for the modified BIOS! :) Works like a champ on my Pro 3.0 revision

Thats good to hear :)

moodyspace

moodyspace

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi there all.Andy i've got a question for you. I've managed to install 10.8 ML with my home mates AMD 6850 but with my 6950 i'm facing exactly with the things you say; white screen with a moving cursor. My mobo is Asus p8p67 Evo. I remember also you said that if the card is not P8P67 Pro version with your method putting it in the sleep mode will not work since it will not be able to wake up again.
Do you have any ideas or suggestions for me to manage it with my p8p67 Evo and Asus 6950 ?
Regards,

^Andy^

^Andy^

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Hi there all.Andy i've got a question for you. I've managed to install 10.8 ML with my home mates AMD 6850 but with my 6950 i'm facing exactly with the things you say; white screen with a moving cursor. My mobo is Asus p8p67 Evo. I remember also you said that if the card is not P8P67 Pro version with your method putting it in the sleep mode will not work since it will not be able to wake up again.
Do you have any ideas or suggestions for me to manage it with my p8p67 Evo and Asus 6950 ?
Regards,

You may need to modify and flash your bios to get sleep working (also if you do then dont forget to delete nullcpupowermanagement)

ErikDjupvik

ErikDjupvik

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I cant even boot from the USB - its just a black screen with a blinking dash...

Edit: I've tried both GUID and MBR, multiple times.
Edit 2: Used MyHack to create the USB and then installed your package on top of it - works perfectly. :)

--------------------------------

Anyhow, I bumped in to another problem. Now, I already have Win7 installed on my SSD (wich my PC automatically boots into) and two partitions on my HDD, one for Windows data and one for the ML Installation. If I press F8 on boot and choose the HDD, it wont boot. Is that because Chameleon is installed on a second partition?

Plasticjesus

Plasticjesus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
So I got the install to go through, I installed the drivers package and even now it will not boot unless I use safe mode? Any ideas . I am using p8p67 pro (no bios mods) and 6950. I am also using GraphicsEnabler=no

^Andy^

^Andy^

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

So I got the install to go through, I installed the drivers package and even now it will not boot unless I use safe mode? Any ideas . I am using p8p67 pro (no bios mods) and 6950. I am also using GraphicsEnabler=no

You wont get it to work with a 6950 without working sleep and you wont get sleep to work without the bios mod.

Plasticjesus

Plasticjesus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I am assuming you are running windows as well, Does the Modified Bios effect the performance of the board at all in the windows environment? I shouldn't have to flash my card though correct. And I wanted to thank you for helping me and all the time that you have dedicated to helping people like me.

^Andy^

^Andy^

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

I am assuming you are running windows as well, Does the Modified Bios effect the performance of the board at all in the windows environment? I shouldn't have to flash my card though correct. And I wanted to thank you for helping me and all the time that you have dedicated to helping people like me.

The bios mod makes no difference whatsoever to windows and it should continue to work as normal (I multiboot between linux, various osx flavours, windows 7 and even an old XP installation with the modified bios).. You do not have to flash the 6950.

NOTE - If you flash the new bios remember to delete NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and then boot with -f UseKernelCache=No the first time

Plasticjesus

Plasticjesus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

The bios mod makes no difference whatsoever to windows and it should continue to work as normal (I multiboot between linux, various osx flavours, windows 7 and even an old XP installation with the modified bios).. You do not have to flash the 6950.

NOTE - If you flash the new bios remember to delete NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and then boot with -f UseKernelCache=No the first time

Does it matter what Bios version I am currently on? Also have you ever tried to flash back to stock Bios without any issues?

telepati

telepati

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Andy did you try Developer Preview 2? is there any progress?

^Andy^

^Andy^

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Does it matter what Bios version I am currently on? Also have you ever tried to flash back to stock Bios without any issues?

Doesnt matter what bios version you are on as long as its older or same version - flashing back is straightforward as long as you are not trying to flas back to an older version although that can still be done but may be more complicated that its worth

Andy did you try Developer Preview 2? is there any progress?

Dude its 5am and I have only just seen its available - give me a chance lol

telepati

telepati

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Just geographical time conflict! lol

^Andy^

^Andy^

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Ok dp2 does work pretty well but you cant use my usb install package due to the modified mbr files screwing up the installer (it will crash soon after you select the drive and click install). I will build a new package shortly (not tonight though) or you can follow the guide BUT skip the usb package instead use chameleon wizard to install chameleon to the usb stick and then use pacifist to install the extra folder and kexts from the package (if you use a recent version of chameleon remember to rename the boot.plist or alternatively use chameleon wizard then replace the boot file and boot.plist with the ones from the usb install package). Remember to also copy the mach_kernel from the downloaded dp2 image to your usb boot stick! After that your uisb installer should be good to go and after install you can use the other package to make your new dp2 install bootable etc.

rubenpp

rubenpp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Andy,

Just wanted to thank you for all the help :)

^Andy^

^Andy^

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Hi Andy,

Just wanted to thank you for all the help :)

:thumbsup_anim:

ErikDjupvik

ErikDjupvik

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I'm having some trouble. I installed it fine, but I cant boot from it as the Mac partition is on a hard drive I only use for data. How do I choose which partition it should boot from when I select drive to boot from?

Posted Image

pizazz2007

pizazz2007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Ok dp2 does work pretty well but you cant use my usb install package due to the modified mbr files screwing up the installer (it will crash soon after you select the drive and click install). I will build a new package shortly (not tonight though) or you can follow the guide BUT skip the usb package instead use chameleon wizard to install chameleon to the usb stick and then use pacifist to install the extra folder and kexts from the package (if you use a recent version of chameleon remember to rename the boot.plist or alternatively use chameleon wizard then replace the boot file and boot.plist with the ones from the usb install package). Remember to also copy the mach_kernel from the downloaded dp2 image to your usb boot stick! After that your uisb installer should be good to go and after install you can use the other package to make your new dp2 install bootable etc.

I successfully installed ML DP2 using this method for creating the USB stick. Everything works!

I have two questions:
1. After installing ML from the USB stick and booting into the ML hard disk for the first time I would first get the apple logo with spinning wheel and then the display would go to sleep. However, when I used the -v option, the system booted (albeit with error messages) correctly and then I was able to install the driver package and everything worked. When I tried again (without the -v) on a different fresh install the display system again goes to sleep. This only happenms the first time I boot. After I install the driver package everything works without the -v. Any ideas? I can't figure it out and boy is it driving me crazy. It looks like the -v option forces the display to stay awake as it is spitting out info. It is a P8P67 Pro with GTX 460

2. Is there a way to have the install created on a hard disk partition instead of a USB disk (so that install goes faster)? The hard disk will have an existing lion install on one partition, thee ML install partition (say 8GB) and the a partition with ML Dp2. Just curious if this can be done.
Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy