[GUIDE] Lenovo ThinkPad T510/510i (plus T410 and W510) 10.6-10.7-10.8-10.9 all working OK! 2013.11.12 Update

joshhh

499 posts in this topic

KP issue fixed -

I used the myHack method to install, and it turns out it had installed a bunch of it's own kext files in a folder myHack.kext, which were conflicting with joshhh's kexts. I removed myHack.kext and everything is working great now.

However, two kexts I did keep from the myHack ones were ApplePS2Controller.kext and ApplePS2Trackpad.kext (uploaded here if anyone else wants to try them https://dl.dropbox.c...36/ApplePS2.zip) rather than use VoodooPS2Controller.kext. It seems to make the trackpad run a bit smoother. I also removed NvclockX.kext as it would cause occasional lockups (maybe because of the eGPU).

• Like 1

Hey,

first of all - thank you for your great work! I'm running on 10.7.2, using most of your kexts and your DSDT (with the VRAM-totalsize altered) for my T410 with the 256 MB Nvidia graphics and nearly everything is working perfectly.

However, I do have some questions:

- Which are all the things necessary for the battery indicator? For me, it is not working properly - it always tells me "calculating", "0% remaining" and that the notebook is running on battery, even if I have the AC adapter attached. Surprisingly, the battery actually is recognized - the System Profiler shows that, it can even tell the battery's manufacturer, the serial number, the FRU number, cycle count and the full charging capacity along with the battery condition. On the other side, information like voltage, current, design capacity and the actual charge level are missing - what I assume to be the cause for the missing battery indicator. I'm using the AppleACPIPlatform.kext and the VoodooBattery.kext from the ZIP archive in the first post, along with your newest DSDT. Did I forget to install something necessary for the indicator to work?

- In general, there is a strange thing about the sensors of my T410. With the AppleACPIPlatform.kext and the DSDT from a T410-specific guide (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=268801) I had the battery indicator, CPU and GPU temperature and the CPU multiplier (9.0x) visible in HWMonitor. With the kexts and the DSDT from your package, HWMonitor doesn't show anything, iStat Menus shows the temperature for CPU, CPU B and GPU, but no multiplier. The fan rpm reading has never been working for me, as well as there is no fan control. Where do I need to start working to fix these things?

- Is the CPU clock shown correctly on your T510? My T410 sports an i5-520M which I just got to speedstep some hours ago, judging from the Cinebench performance and the temperature the CPU reaches. :D But still, sysctl, the System Profiler and CPU-X show the CPU clocking at 1.2 GHz, CPU-X shows the multiplier sitting at 0.0x and MSRDumper report no P-States to be reached. Do you have an idea what could be wrong here?

- Is your NVS3100M switching between the different G-States? If it is, how did you get that working? Mine seems to be sitting at G-State 2 - which means a nearly perfect GUI, but slow-motion 720p playback and diashow-like 1080p playback ;)

Thank you really much!

iYassin

Announce! Since I don't have much time to I'll post some important updates of kexts and DSDTs for our machines in monday I think, when return to home.

What will be in it:

Kexts for 10.6/10.7/10.8

Updated DSDT with new actual patches

Illustrated installations manual of 10.7-10.8

Scripts to patch-revert some files after system update

And I'll try to answer all questions in latest posts

Btw: donations are welcome

• Like 1

Dear Joshhh,

In AppleHDA.kext, what is binary patch code do you use? My Thinkpad T410 has same chip CX20585. I would like to make one for my T410. I have already finished layout and platforms files. But I don't know how to patch the binary.

Thanks!

Great, I hope my USB/PS2 (no keyboard + mouse, no USB) can be fixed. I don't know what's my problem. I built two hackintosh before I get a real Mac at home, which runs nearly without problems. Now I need a Mac at work, because I want to do XCode and OS X in VMware is a 'little' bit slow on my machine at work.

Do I need two PS2 Kext, Apple and Voodoo ones? Or do I need another Chameleon version than I use? I use rev. 2050.

Hope to see your current release soon! Thank you!

OK finally major file release

Kexts

0_9b69d_12fd1c96_orig.jpg

https://www.dropbox....-10.6-kexts.zip

0_9b69e_690e8dd6_orig.jpg

https://www.dropbox....-10.7-kexts.zip

0_9b69f_d1b60307_orig.jpg

https://www.dropbox....-10.8-kexts.zip

Later I'll add some more files

Archive with all step by step DSDT Edits + dsdt files for T410/W510

0_9b6a2_c003e7b7_orig.jpg

Universal patcher for system kexts

0_9b6a0_4b7960df_orig.jpg

PS. Freeze problem on my laptop is fixed=)

System without hangs about 4 days

0_9b6a1_88511efc_orig.jpg

More to come! First post will be updated with all this files and with OSX 10.7-10.8 simple installation guide

• Like 3

Now I get a kernel panic when I use the patches/addons in #109

What Chameleon Version do you use? I use rev.2050. Is it ok?

Edit: just copied over again default-Kext (from a vanilla 10.8.0 installation) and your patches/addons Kext.

Now it's booting but stops at "resetting iocatalogue"

I'll reinstall everything again. It would be nice to get the information what Chameleon version do you use. Thanks.

Lets figure out on what step do you get KP and what message it say. Take a photo if you can or just put down it somewhere

I think, its just not complete cleanup from oner kexts or something. All this kexts was tested on new 10.6-10.7-10.8 installs and everything was fine

I use Chameleon 2050 as you do and also I tried it with Clover boot loader too fine

Now I get a kernel panic when I use the patches/addons in #109

What Chameleon Version do you use? I use rev.2050. Is it ok?

Edit: just copied over again default-Kext (from a vanilla 10.8.0 installation) and your patches/addons Kext.

Now it's booting but stops at "resetting iocatalogue"

I'll reinstall everything again. It would be nice to get the information what Chameleon version do you use. Thanks.

Sure I can add it=) but with warning that may harm installed system cause some files may be patched, but for new install it will be ok.

I think you have to add "Patch all" to patcher =)))

Just replace current section to this

Device (HDEF)
	    {
		    Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
		    Name (_S3D, 0x03)
		    Name (RID, 0x00)
		    Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
		    {
			    0x0D,
			    0x04
		    })
		    Method (_PSW, 1, NotSerialized)
		    {
			    Noop
		    }
			    Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			    {
				    Store (Package (0x04)
					    {
						    "layout-id",
						    Buffer (0x04)
						    {
							    0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
						    },
						    "PinConfigurations",
						    Buffer (Zero) {}
					    }, Local0)
				    DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				    Return (Local0)
			    }
	    }

Hi, thank you for he kext! I will give it a go tommorow morning.. got to run now! not sure what you mean by DSDR HDEF layout 0xc is needed - I know there's DSDT.aml in

[GUIDE] OS X Lion on ThinkPad W520 - can that be used? Cheers, Tom

Great work joshhh!

I've tested the new kext pack, but i have again issues with video playback. The video is laggy - realy laggy.

On Windows 7 everything is fine, but on 10.8 (and 10.8.1) it is just inpossible to cut videos in Final Cut Studio.

You have patched the dsdt to show the Quadro as a Geforce 9400m. Maybe the graphic enabler is better for me?

The system is running smooth, but the video playback is only {censored}.

mkv movies are working, but videos from the 1080p 50fps are too much i think...

I think is major problem with video editing on such card is so weak gpu processing due card is too old for that and have only 16 universal procession units. I have the same problem in Adobe Premiere CS5/6 - no gpu acceleration and I simply cant playback in realtime any video files on timline larger than 720p30, 1080p25 or 50 is slideshow with fps about 1-3 after few seconds of realtime. And not much changed when I replaced core i3 330m cpu to fastest arrandale available core i7-640m. Yes it can encode final video about 50% faster but still not enough to give smooth playback

Only solution for faster video I think is eGPU. My GTX280 is ready but now I need much power PSU to drive it than my eSata disk storage PSU can provide. In theory eGPU can provide much faster rendering and playback of video

And when I edited latest dsdts I used few times graphics enabler. Performance is same as dsdt edits

Great work joshhh!

I've tested the new kext pack, but i have again issues with video playback. The video is laggy - realy laggy.

On Windows 7 everything is fine, but on 10.8 (and 10.8.1) it is just inpossible to cut videos in Final Cut Studio.

You have patched the dsdt to show the Quadro as a Geforce 9400m. Maybe the graphic enabler is better for me?

The system is running smooth, but the video playback is only {censored}.

mkv movies are working, but videos from the 1080p 50fps are too much i think...

joshhh,

I've done some testing with my GTX 260 as an eGPU and it works pretty well, even multiple GPU works so you can drive the laptop display and an external at the same time. I haven't tested video editing because I don't have any software for it, but 1080p video plays just fine in VLC through the eGPU.

There's only one problem though. Apparently there is a bug in ML that causes random WindowServer crashes when you use multiple GPUs at the same time. This article talks a bit about it http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57485204-263/mac-pro-users-experiencing-random-log-outs-in-mountain-lion/

This is a problem with all Macs that have more than one GPU, not just hackintosh and I've experienced the problem quite a bit. Apparently it's a bug that has been around for a while.

It seems like the only fix is to not use spaces or mission control, although other intensive desktop effects might cause it too, but since I disabled spaces the problem hasn't happened.

So the eGPU is pretty good, as long as you don't mind not using spaces.

Also, the onboard audio stopped working for me after I started using your new kexts and dsdt. I decided to try and use the older AppleHDA.kext to see if it fixed things, but somehow (I have no idea how) this has broken things pretty badly.. currently trying to restore from a backup (which is proving to be difficult, because when I boot the installer and select Restore from Backup, it says "This backup was made on another Mac and cannot be used"). I'll do more testing when I fix it up.

Nice=) If you can make video demonstration of egpu it will be great

About AppleHDA, new version use 12 layout (0xC) instead of 20590 in previous, so it won't work with old DSDT. Just update dsdt too.

joshhh,

I've done some testing with my GTX 260 as an eGPU and it works pretty well, even multiple GPU works so you can drive the laptop display and an external at the same time. I haven't tested video editing because I don't have any software for it, but 1080p video plays just fine in VLC through the eGPU.

There's only one problem though. Apparently there is a bug in ML that causes random WindowServer crashes when you use multiple GPUs at the same time. This article talks a bit about it http://reviews.cnet....-mountain-lion/

This is a problem with all Macs that have more than one GPU, not just hackintosh and I've experienced the problem quite a bit. Apparently it's a bug that has been around for a while.

It seems like the only fix is to not use spaces or mission control, although other intensive desktop effects might cause it too, but since I disabled spaces the problem hasn't happened.

So the eGPU is pretty good, as long as you don't mind not using spaces.

Also, the onboard audio stopped working for me after I started using your new kexts and dsdt. I decided to try and use the older AppleHDA.kext to see if it fixed things, but somehow (I have no idea how) this has broken things pretty badly.. currently trying to restore from a backup (which is proving to be difficult, because when I boot the installer and select Restore from Backup, it says "This backup was made on another Mac and cannot be used"). I'll do more testing when I fix it up.

Yeah, I did update the dsdt too, also renewed the kernel cache. Still not sure why it didn't work.

Seems like something catastropic and probably unrelated has happened anyway, since everything has gone completely wrong and none of my preferences will be saved, if it even boots up and even getting some KPs. Since my time machine backups seem to be useless, I guess I'll be reinstalling, so I'll try the new kexts out then and report back.

Making a video might be a good idea actually. Although for now, here's a picture of ML running with triple screens, two powered by the eGPU - http://i.imgur.com/8KUwW.jpg (and token laser eyed cat).

• Like 1

laser cat is nice! and triple monitor setup in nice too, hope I can drive IBM T221 with gtx280 in future=)

to check what is wrong with kexts you can boot with -v -f npci=0x2000 and see what's happened. Of course remove startup cache, few days ago I've installed beta release of 10.8.2 build c50 and i get stuck on boot until revert to older kexts from latest pack

Yeah, I did update the dsdt too, also renewed the kernel cache. Still not sure why it didn't work.

Seems like something catastropic and probably unrelated has happened anyway, since everything has gone completely wrong and none of my preferences will be saved, if it even boots up and even getting some KPs. Since my time machine backups seem to be useless, I guess I'll be reinstalling, so I'll try the new kexts out then and report back.

Making a video might be a good idea actually. Although for now, here's a picture of ML running with triple screens, two powered by the eGPU - http://i.imgur.com/8KUwW.jpg (and token laser eyed cat).

Hey Joshhh.

I've tried using your Easy Install Guide to get Mac Os on my T510i 4314-6AG (no Nvidia card, only Intel graphics).

When I try booting a new system it catches reboot loop. Cant get to step 4. Any help on that? What should I do?

upd. Yeah, my CPU is i5 430m if it helps

If it loops try to check boot loader version. And check boot log with -v -f npci=0x2000

Hey Joshhh.

I've tried using your Easy Install Guide to get Mac Os on my T510i 4314-6AG (no Nvidia card, only Intel graphics).

When I try booting a new system it catches reboot loop. Cant get to step 4. Any help on that? What should I do?

upd. Yeah, my CPU is i5 430m if it helps

• Like 1

If it loops try to check boot loader version. And check boot log with -v -f npci=0x2000

Thanks, I've changed my Chamelion to Chimera and stoped rebooting. But I still cant load Os X. Now it is stuck during loading process after loading ntfs driver I suppose.

Here's a photo:

post-1060732-0-54517700-1347966053_thumb.jpg

Update.

I've tried disconnecting all other drives from the system so it wont need to check ntfs partitions. It does not, but still cant boot. Now it stops again at the same time, here is the photo:

post-1060732-0-04997700-1347967210_thumb.jpg

Any help, plzzzzzzz?