macOS Ventura on Dell XPS 17 L702x Optimus

mackyreddy

955 posts in this topic

Hi Schattenzwerg,

Play with both smbios 8.1 and smbios 8.2. Lets see how it pans out in testing.

Cheers,

Mahesh

Hi Mahesh,

I tried both files, added my service tag, exchanged in extras folder and restarted. Both times I could'nt get any output at the tv. After every restart I checked the display settings and tried detect display", but unfortunately without success. Do you have any idea what else I can try? (btw, the adapter works in windows ;) )

Hello again, just to let you know I'm running 10.7.3 fine with no panics and geek bench 10200. i updated then booted with -v -x then reinstalled your kexts usin kexthelper and all is good :-) also i placed a broadcom wifi card in the second mpci slot so in windows i use the centurion one and in mac i use the broadcom,

I was interested in your windows 7 lite versions. i install win 7 all the time being a repair man but all I'm getting is "[#103137] You do not have permission to view this topic."

i have registered with them.

any idea how we might update to mountain lion?

any way you can think of to swap the @ " locations on the keyboard?

Very happy with my mac installation, thank you for all your help.

also I've managed to get a dual boot with windows on second hd and mac on first hd. First i installed windows while that hd was in slot 1. removed it and installed mac on a hd in slot one. after it was done i installed the windows hd to slot 2 and all is good. 1tb each but I'm only really using the windows one for games.

Hi Chrisemtpa, I had the same problem, as solution I deleted the Dell Utilities & Win7 Recovery Partition, I moved my Win7 Partition at position 1 and the HTFS+ Partition at Position 2. Before this I created a Win7 recovery CD from my Windows. I did all operations on partitions with Gparted-USB-Boot Stick. After GParted finished, I repaired my Boot Informations with the recorvery CD. At this time my Windows Booted again and was in normal state. Then I started the iATKOS Installation again and followed the Guide here. The Camelon Bootloader worked afterwards without problems. In the iATKOS Guide you will find the information that your Win7 and MacOS X Partion must be one of the first 3 partitions, maybe there is a workaround or other solution, but this worked for me.

Schattenzwerg, how did you move your partition? I was able to combine the the Dell Util and Recov partitions to make one unallocated space before the OS and MacOs partitions. It does not show up as a partition but I am also not able to move the partitions around. I used easyBCD to make a windows boot screen allowing for the option of the OsX but i was unable to boot into OSX it can't be found which i believe is an issue with EasyBCD. I also am unable to get the keyboard and trackpad working but thats the least of my concerns. If i can't get it to boot its going back to the original system and back to dell...

Hi Jupitermoon,

Nice to hear from u after a long time. Well u need to compete 25 posts in order to view my threads. As they are not for forum newbie's. So just register with the forum and go to newbie corner and start posting. Once u get past 25 posts u can get access or just request the moderator to give u the access.

And regarding mountain lion as of now its only working on the external hard drive not with internal. Just follow the same procedure to install ML.And u can also use the same lion 10.7.2 kexts with ML as well. Just dont use intel hd 3000 kexts from lion as ML has more matured & stable drivers or kexts.

Cheers,

Mahesh

Schattenzwerg, how did you move your partition? I was able to combine the the Dell Util and Recov partitions to make one unallocated space before the OS and MacOs partitions. It does not show up as a partition but I am also not able to move the partitions around. I used easyBCD to make a windows boot screen allowing for the option of the OsX but i was unable to boot into OSX it can't be found which i believe is an issue with EasyBCD. I also am unable to get the keyboard and trackpad working but thats the least of my concerns. If i can't get it to boot its going back to the original system and back to dell...

Hi Chrisemtpa,

I extended the partition size to cover the complete unallocated space from the Dell & the Win7 Recovery Partition. By this I closed the Gap and had my Win7 Partition as first one.

Hi Testisus,

Are u talking about Keyboard backlit ? If so it works without any problem, only thing doesnt works is the Fn screen brightness keys as they are linked to nvidia.

Hi Mahesh,

I installed IATKOS L2 last night on my L702x, but I have a i7 2760QM 2.4ghz, I set the busratio as 24 in smbios.

But OSX doesn't seem to detect my trackpad or keyboard, however they work fine in the initial IATKOS setup but not when actually booted and logged into OSX.

I have to connect an external keyboard and mouse in order to use the system.

I'm using A17 Bios, I haven't generated a DSDT, should I have a go at doing that, do I need a different SSDT for my cpu?

cheers

EDIT: nvm got it working :D

I had forgot to install the VoodooPS2 kext ( drag and drop on Kext Utility ).

hi Mahesh Kondraju

I fixed the backlight of the screen by deleting AppleBacklight.kext. What I noticed is that the system has graphical Glitches. the system sometimes freezed randomly and the graphics become all glitchy.

thanks for your help and this awesome guide

Hi Mahesh,

I have sound working but not through the laptops speakers, is this to be expected?

Also could you post a list of the Kexts you have in your Extensions folder so I know what ones aren't necessary (just on pastebin or something)

Cheers

First thank you very much, Mahesh, to take your time to help us and getting this to work. I have an almost working Lion in my laptop!

Does someone have frequent freezes that long from some seconds to some minutes? After reading all the thread I didn't see anyone reporting this.

It happens specially when I switch from an application to another or start new ones. Using Mission Control app is a game over: it can take five minutes for the computer to unfreeze. I very rarely see graphic glitches and animations are completely smooth (except when those freezes happen, of course). I have read the guide lots of times and taken over the whole process more than once. I have even removed ATI kexts (appart from nVidia ones, etc).

I remove the kexts by doing rm -rf Blahblah.kext, followed by cache delete or recreate with kext util. Is this correct? I add the kexts with the kext util. I'm completely new to Mac OSX.

I have an standard L702x with 2630QM, 6 Gb mem and 20 Gb HD for the Lion. I used the normal archive.

By the way, I got only 8902 in geekbench (in 32 bit mode due to free version restriction).

First of all, thank you Mahesh for your excellent guide. Everything went smoothly when I tried installing OS X from the iAtkos L2 distribution.

A few notes which may provide further assistance (my Dell L702x specs: i7 2670, 8GB RAM, nVidia GT 555m, non-3d, anti-glare 1920x1080 display, A12 BIOS):

1. Without any further setup, the display was blueish and had low brightness, but the brightness falls back to normal after the display goes to sleep. OS X has the Ctrl-Shift-Eject keyboard shortcut that puts the display to sleep. Since the Dell keyboard does not have an Eject key, I used keyremap4macbook ( http://pqrs.org/maco...yremap4macbook/ ) in order to remap it, so that I can press the combination as soon as I log in. As for the blueish display, the best solution (apart from manual calibration) was the Spyder2express.icm profile posted at http://forum.noteboo...en-matte-3.html .

2. Since the integrated Intel Wireless card does not work, I purchased a Belkin N300 USB wireless card, which functions great with the driver from http://www.osx86.net...f7d2101_v1.html - it includes its own utility for wireless network discovery.

3. Never use the Migration Assistant to transfer data from another Hackintosh - the result was that the other Hackintosh needed the bootloader re-installed (which was a bit of a pain, since I had naively installed OS X on a disk with a GUID partition table).

The one issue that I still have and was not able to solve concerns the external display ports. As I understand, the HDMI port is tied to the nVidia card, so that is out of the question. However, I was not able to use the Mini-display port either (with either a mini-display to VGA or a mini-display to DVI adaptor). Did anyone have better luck with this and could possibly guide me on how to enable the mini-display port? In case it helps, the system report tool reports two video cards (I have removed the nVidia kexts):

Display:
 Type:GPU
 Bus:PCIe
 PCIe Lane Width:x16
 Vendor:NVIDIA (0x10de)
 Device ID:0x124d
 Revision ID:0x00a1
 Kernel Extension Info:No Kext Loaded

Intel HD Graphics 3000:
 Chipset Model:Intel HD Graphics 3000
 Type:GPU
 Bus:Built-In
 VRAM (Total):512 MB
 Vendor:Intel (0x8086)
 Device ID:0x0116
 Revision ID:0x0009
 Displays:
Display:
  Resolution:1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
  Pixel Depth:32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
  Main Display:Yes
  Mirror:Off
  Online:Yes
  Built-In:Yes

Any help with the external display setup would be greatly appreciated. :)

I'm with the previous poster and would like to thank Mahesh for his excellent guide, I'm now up and running with graphics 1920 x 1080 (GT 555m & 3d screen) and sound. Wi-fi care of one of those £5.00 Nano usb n-type adaptors. However i've a couple of issues if any now can help?

1/ My geekbit score seems low 7760?

2/ I get a pop from the speakers as OS starts up? not worried about it just wondered if everyone else got the same?

3/ Whilst i get the full res and system info reports as:

Chipset Model: GeForce GT 555M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 3072 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0dcd

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: 70.06.32.00.03

my graphics don't seem too smooth, a good example would be maximising a browser window seems rather jerky?? i'm pretty sure i've removed all unwanted graphics kexts.

4/ I did manage to create my own DSDT sucessfully, however installing broke my sound?

Any help would be greatly received. Full specs as below.

i7 2820QM, 8GB RAM, nVidia GT 555m 3d 1920x1080 display, OCX vertex II 120GB SSD, A12 BIOS.

Chris

Does someone have frequent freezes that long from some seconds to some minutes?

To add some information, I went once again through the install process but this time I forgot to add back AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext. Resolution was low but freezes didn't happen. When I put it back again resolution was correct but freezes came back. I hope this may be a hint.

As always I deleted all NV* Geforce* and HD kext (except 3000). System Information says I have a card called Display that says "Vendor: NVIDIA" and "No Kext Loaded" (I guess this is correct) and another one called Intel HD Graphics 3000 with lots of information that looks correct. When computer freezes kernel says **** Debug info for apparent hang in Main graphics engine **** with some more lines that I can gladly paste. I forgot to say I have BIOS A12.

Funny enough, I'm not sure of this, but seems that graphics glitches and freezes are far worse when laptop is not charging.

@chris blake: I hear the pops too.

Update i re-installed and all is working extremely well! i now see a geekbench score of 10205 (32 bit) vs 7299 (32 bit) it say's in windows 7!

Also benchmarked with nova bench and scored 1102 in Mac OS vs 994 in windows 7.

So i'm now more than happy and off to now make a back up.

Only one thing left i don't seem to have much luck with is understanding which windows it reopens at start up and which one's it doesn't? regardless to weather i tick the box or not!

Update 2/ noticed if i put machine to sleep then wake it, the screen brightness goes up too max (can't find any way to adjust it?), and the two rear usb ports turn off?

Other than that have now loaded my screen colour profile, so all's looking good and would recommend any one gives it try (patience & plenty of time required!).

Hi,

Thank you Mahesh for this great guide.

I have follow it step by step but when I boot to my Mac OS X login screen the keyboard and trackpad are not working (but they worked during installation!).

I think that is the same problem that @sent described before...

Which KEXTs do I need?

I have a L702x i7-2630QM with a GT 555m...

Thank you very much!

I have follow it Mac Os X Lion 10.7.3 orj. usb method and you DSDT problem sound card.

my sistem

Mobile QuadCore Intel Core i7-2720QM, 2500 MHz (25 x 100)

NVIDIA GeForce GT 550M

sound card

nVIDIA HDMI/DP @ nVIDIA GF106 - High Definition Audio Controller PCI

Realtek ALC665 @ Intel Cougar Point PCH - High Definition Audio Controller [b-3] PCI

help me pls

I have follow it Mac Os X Lion 10.7.3 orj. usb method and you DSDT problem sound card.

my sistem

Mobile QuadCore Intel Core i7-2720QM, 2500 MHz (25 x 100)

NVIDIA GeForce GT 550M

sound card

nVIDIA HDMI/DP @ nVIDIA GF106 - High Definition Audio Controller PCI

Realtek ALC665 @ Intel Cougar Point PCH - High Definition Audio Controller [b-3] PCI

help me pls

Hey

Your sound card here: http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=1008 do as per the written there - it all works.