OSX 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9 on the Dell XPS 1340 laptop

bcc9

321 posts in this topic

I get this, so I assumed that it was already patched:

Found no matching instructions to patch.  AppleACPIPlatform may already be patched
Aborting with AppleACPIPlatform NOT patched

I'm using 10.7.4 if it makes any difference.

How do I debug or reset it to normal so I can run it? My lid works, but the rest of it does not, so I assumed it was the DSDT. When I try to put it to sleep, it restarts if it means anything.

And thank you very much for helping.

So if either your lid close detection or your battery status are working, then the AppleACPIPlatform patch is installed&working and you need not troubleshoot that part further.

When AppleACPIPlatform is patched, you can roll-back to the unpatched version via

cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/MacOS
mv AppleACPIPlatform.orig AppleACPIPlatform
If my AppleACPIPlatform patch package is reporting "Found no matching instructions to patch." and yet you have nothing to roll back to, then something is very wrong. I don't believe this is the case as I've personally patched AppleACPIPlatform successfully from 10.5.x thru 10.8.3

Hello everybody.

Yesterday, I needed to reinstall the system, and so, I did the update until the 10.8.3, without install the 10.8.4. The sleep after close the lid and the battery icon works successfully. The only issue is the sleep when activacted from Finder, what returns without work the Trackpad.

• 3 weeks later...

Now I'm using only the Mavericks, because my battery ends the lifetime. However I'm having an issue that don't happened on ML: My 1340 have a Brazilian Keyboard ABNT2 and I used a layout that worked ok. But now, this same layout works, but the last line of keys don't works perfectly, killing the Keys "Alt GR" and "/".

Some solution for this issue? :)

My Internal Laptop LCD stuffed, so i wanna turn off completely. How Would i do it on Mountain Lion? Any advices? Thanks.

You should be able to tweak your NVCAP to disable the LVDS port and leave the other ones (hdmi) on.

• 2 months later...

I've updated my AppleACPIPlatform patch package in post #1 to include OSX 10.9 support. The driver code compiled a bit differently from the last release so the patch had to be changed again. Fortunately the AppleHDA patch continues to work unchanged.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again to bcc9 for all the effort put into making this laptop work with OSX. I recently gave up and went back to Windows 8 but then had some weird issues with a high pitched alternating noise coming from the mainboard. Installed Ubuntu - noise gone and so I decided to go back to OSX now that Mavericks is out. To get it up and running, I used myHack (which I always use) to quickly prepare an installation USB and then applied the patches from the first post where appropriate. Ended up using RehabMans VoodooPS2 Controller and some of his other Kexts (as they seem more up to date) but I think the DSDT.aml from the first post (v8) was the thing that makes it all work smoothly. I'm currently up and running very nicely (again!) with Mavericks thanks to this thread and I really do appreciate all the effort gone into maintaining this.

At the moment, my CPU temps seem a little on the high side, and my fan is pretty much constantly spinning. I haven't been able to figure out why or how and running the DSDT check script said that the original DSDT.aml was the one to use, which I have. I'm also having problems with restart and shutdown. When I choose either from the main menu in OSX it only completes the command about 20% of the time, otherwise it just hangs on a grey screen. Is there anything I can check to fix this? I know I didn't follow the install instructions as specified in the original post and instead used myHack so wondering if others are having the same issues with shutdown and restart and cpu heat on theirs if they followed the original instructions? I've got minimal Kexts (can list if needed) in the Extra folder and in the S/L/E folder the only custom kexts I know of are Fakesmc.kext.

myHack already includes and AppleRTC patched kext so I didn't use the patch listed - I know I'm probably being stupid and this could be causing the issues I describe (I don't know what AppleRTC does) but I wasn't getting CMOS reset issues - is it essential to use the specific AppleRTC patch from the first post?

So I applied the Apple RTC patch from the first post for 10.9 - not made any difference to the shutdown/restart issues. Would a different Fakesmc make any difference?

Also, as I'm just following instructions with all this, I'm wondering if the lspcidrv.kext that is included in the myHack installation is needed or not or even wondering what it's for?

Lastly, and weirdly - I found and applied an updated bios for the XPS M1340 (A15) fairly recently - to try to fix the mainboard squealing - which is odd given how old it is. Could that require a new DSDT? If so, should I export something from MaciASL or just roll back to a previous BIOS?

Would appreciate any ideas with this. Can include more info if needed. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

The a15 bios was covered in this thread when it came out (there are no dsdt changes vs A14). This is also documented in my dsdt readme.

As for the rest, it is impossible to tell where you may be going wrong. It is easy to make a hackintosh install fail; the instructions in post #1 are in essence what I believe are the minimal necessary steps to have a fully working system. If you elect to not follow the instructions, you may be able to have a fully working system anyways (there are certainly more than 1 path to the same result).

I don't understand why so many users elect to only follow part of post #1, not even going back to those steps when they run into problems.

Short answer: I don't know, ask for help from those whose tools you used instead.

• 1 month later...

BCC9,

I spend my day reading through this thread. First THANK YOU VERY MUCH for everything you did, that I'm sure have helped (and will certainly help again) many people.

I'm backing up data from a Dell Studio XPS 1640 bought in 2010 with the following specs (Intel Core2Duo P8600 2,4 GHz / RAM: 4 Go / ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 / Intel 5300 AGN / Bluetooth / Full HD monitor / WinTV Nova TV Tuner / Ricoh multicard reader) and planning on installing a triple boot (OS X Mavericks / Win 8.1 Pro / Ubuntu Linux).

If I do follow your tutorial (for the OSX part) - that I hope I'll be able to understand - do you think it'll work on my 1640 (and not the 1340)?

Sorry to bother you again with this thread - as you said your 1340 is nearing the end of its life - but I'd be greateful if you could help me answer this question before I start - and probably my next ones ( :P) when actually installing the thing on my 1640.

THANKS again.

Imothep77,

A thread for the 1340 was necessary because of the issues that are specific to the nvidia chipset (the graphics, the dsdt, the ACPI event controller). Since the dell 1640 is an intel chipset instead, and ati graphics not nvidia, it has none of these platform issues in common. Probably the bluetooth and card reader portions are the same but not much else.

@bcc9

Thank you for having taken time to reply.

I understand from the above that the installation on my system should be easier.

I'll check the standard tutorials and may open a specific 1640 thread when I get all of this working.

I think I'm gonna start with 

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293574-beginners-guide-to-uefi-tripledual-boot-os-x-windows-and-linux-kali-on-an-single-true-gpt-ssd/?hl=%20triple%20%20boot%20%20kali

and

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293925-non-uefi-guide-to-installing-os-x-mavericks-with-clover/

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Bcc9,

I too have been having no success with the battery icon. I have followed the patch instruction in post #1. The icon is present but presents with an X and the power details in the system report says that no battery is present.

[solved]  Well sort of.  My XPS is now triple booting with Win7, 10.8.5, and Mageia Linux 4.  I was having serious problems with Bluetooth in Linux so I replaced the stock Dell 1515 WiFi and Dell 370 BT cards with a single AW-CE123H WiFi (AC) and BT card.  I couldn't get it working following various guides so I decided to start from scratch on a separate drive. I hooked up an external HDD and did a complete new install using the same USB Install drive.  In this case, the new WiFi/BT card worked perfectly and the battery fixes applied and worked brilliantly as well.  I repeated the process on the internal HDD partition and was able to repeat the same success.

Now I have working WiFi/BT, as well as a proper battery status.  I only have couple of issues remaining:

1.  The trackpad stops working if the system goes to sleep. 

2.  I have to permanently use "-f" in the boot flags otherwise the trackpad/keyboard don't work at all.  I'm not too bothered by this as I put it in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file.  If I could get a proper fix it would just be icing on the cake.

Lastly, how to you know for sure that you have QE/CI working?  I don't see the ripples, but I do see the screen saver preview.

• 4 weeks later...

Hy  to all ,

i have an dell xps 1340  (bios A15 with nvidia 9400+9200 ) and i have installed iatkos L2 (mac os 10.7.2) on him ,

applied patches from first post,  installed: DSDT, smbios , vodoobattery .....

i have everything working except sleep :

when i close the lid (or when i put my computer to sleep ) my keyboard light stays on and

there is no way to came back from sleep ( tried every key from keyboard , power button ) nothing.

i have read posts on this topic and i could not find a solution to my problem .

Thank's for your help

Edited by Slack 21

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all  ,

after installing iatkos L2 on my xps 1340 (with some problems) now i'm on genuine ML 10.8.3 with succesfully update to 10.8.5 

I have: battery , sound , wifi , bluetooth , lid close , lan , nvidia (not working card reader , Ir but i don't need them :) )

the only problem i have is with sleep/hibernate : 

when i set "hibernatemode 1" i get the error Resuming from Encrypted image is unsupported.

my swap is not encrypted anymore but that does not solve my problem

so i move to "hibernatemode 0" but when my computer goes to sleep it keeps powering on 

anyone has the same problem with 10.8.5 ? 

boot flags : npci=0x2000 PS2RestartFix=Yes

Thanks

Hi everybody,

As you've probably noticed, I've been winding down support on this system as I believe everything "just works" if you use a generic install with chameleon as in post #1. For a long time, most reported problems have simply been due to using other install methods such as those found over at tonymac. Since I don't use these other installers I really can't tell you what is going wrong, other than to point you back to prior posts where there is the troubleshooting information on how to figure out for yourself where your problem is.

Regarding, QE/CI, the immediate way to tell if this is working is to see if the nvidia kexts are loaded and running vs the generic kexts. Without the nvidia accelerated kexts, video playback performance will be poor. Video intensive applications such as final cut will refuse to even run. And you'll be unable to use a dual monitor setup, outputting from the hdmi to a tv for example.

Regarding Slack21's Q on lid close, you do of course need to have AppleACPIPlatform patched, per post #1.

My old 1340 is in my spare parts closet now as I don't think the lithium battery even works anymore. I suspect it's not worth buying a replacement battery, as the replacement battery would probably be half dead as well from sitting on a parts shelf for years. Am I right?

Hi bcc9

i patched AppleACPIPlatform , patched applehda also 

my problem is with sleep mode 

if i set hibernatemode to 0 

when i put my computer to sleep it does not sleep (actually it goes to sleep and after 2 seconds it power on by himself )

if i set hibernatemode to 1 bootloader says it can't resume from encrypted image 

My old 1340 is in my spare parts closet now as I don't think the lithium battery even works anymore. I suspect it's not worth buying a replacement battery, as the replacement battery would probably be half dead as well from sitting on a parts shelf for years. Am I right?

I'am using a replacement, bought for 35 Euros - it is ok for 2,5 h.

At Slack 21:

Are you using a DSDT?? My bootlist is a yours - beside: UseKernelCache=Yes.

My 1340 has working hibernate. My mode ist 3.

Any problems if you check sleep: pmset -g assertions???

bcc9 : 

i'm using DSDT-alt.aml from 1'st page (the perl script sugested to use him , i have A15 bios but from what i've read it does not matter)

bootloader options: -v npci=0x2000 (with or without UseKernelCahe=Yes )

smbios : MacBookPro5,5 Mac-F221BEC8 (also from 1'st page)

applied ACPI Patch , Sound patch 

latest FakeSMC.kext , VoodooBattery.kext 

tried with hibernatemode 3 still with no luck :(

i close the lid and computer goes to sleep and after 1 second it power on by himself